Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

you're going to have to troll better than that.

ok Karen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Full story from nyt

As President Trump presses for states to reopen their economies, his administration is privately projecting a steady rise in the number of cases and deaths from coronavirus over the next several weeks, reaching about 3,000 daily deaths on June 1, according to an internal document obtained by The New York Times, nearly double from the current level of about 1,750.

The projections, based on modeling by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and pulled together in chart form by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, forecast about 200,000 new cases each day by the end of the month, up from about 25,000 cases now.

The numbers underscore a sobering reality: While the United States has been hunkered down for the past seven weeks, not much has changed. And the reopening to the economy will make matters worse.

“There remains a large number of counties whose burden continues to grow,” the C.D.C. warned.

The projections confirm the primary fear of public health experts: that a reopening of the economy will put the nation right back where it was in mid-March, when cases were rising so rapidly in some parts of the country that patients were dying on gurneys in hospital hallways with cases rising so rapidly that the health care system is overloaded.
DOCUMENTS
See the internal report.

“While mitigation didn’t fail, I think it’s fair to say that it didn’t work as well as we expected,” Scott Gottlieb, Mr. Trump’s former commissioner of food and drugs, said Sunday on the CBS program Face the Nation. “We expected that we would start seeing more significant declines in new cases and deaths around the nation at this point. And we’re just not seeing that.”

Subscribe to The Times

On Sunday, Mr. Trump said deaths in the United States could reach 100,000, twice as many as he had forecast just two weeks ago.

“We’re going to lose anywhere from 75, 80 to 100,000 people,” he said in a virtual town hall on Fox News. “That’s a horrible thing. We shouldn’t lose one person over this.”

Mr. Gottlieb said Americans “may be facing the prospect that 20,000, 30,000 new cases a day diagnosed becomes the new normal.”

Some states that have partially reopened are still seeing an increase in coronavirus cases, including Iowa, Minnesota, Tennessee and Texas, according to Times data. Indiana, Kansas, Nebraska and Arizona also are seeing an increase in cases and are planning on some kind of reopening soon. Alaska has also reopened and is seeing a small number of increasing cases.

While the country has stabilized, it has not really improved, as shown by data collected by The Times. Case and death numbers remain stuck on a numbing, tragic plateau that is tilting only slightly downward.

At least 1,000 people with the virus, and sometimes more than 2,000, have died every day for the last month. On a near-daily basis, at least 25,000 new cases of the virus are being identified across the country. And even as New York City, New Orleans and Detroit make gains, other urban centers, including Chicago and Los Angeles, are reporting steady growth in cases.

The situation has devolved most dramatically in parts of rural America that were largely spared in the early stages of the pandemic. As food processing facilities and prisons have emerged as some of the country’s largest case clusters, the counties that include Logansport, Ind., South Sioux City, Neb., and Marion, Ohio, have surpassed New York City in cases per capita.

Mr. Trump accused the Chinese government of making a “horrible mistake” in its virus response and of then orchestrating a cover-up that allowed the pathogen to spread around the world.

“My opinion is they made a mistake. They tried to cover it, they tried to put it out. It’s like a fire,” Mr. Trump said on Sunday night during a virtual town hall on Fox News. “You know, it’s really like trying to put out a fire. They couldn’t put out the fire.”

Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

China did eventually suppress the disease with a harsh lockdown, but public health experts have criticized Beijing for withholding information and acting too late.

Mr. Trump, who has come under fierce criticism for his handling of the crisis, also issued the latest in a series of accusations from members of his administration laying blame on China for the creation and spread of the virus.

“We’re going to be giving a very strong report as to exactly what we think happened,” Mr. Trump said. “And I think it will be very conclusive.”

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was even more explicit, saying on Sunday that the coronavirus originated in a research laboratory in Wuhan, China, where the virus first appeared.

That conflicts with the judgment of most virologists and of U.S. intelligence agencies, which say that the virus was “not man-made or genetically modified.”

Speaking on the ABC program “This Week,” Mr. Pompeo, the former C.I.A. chief and one of the senior administration officials who is most hawkish on dealing with China, said that there was “enormous evidence” that the virus came from the lab but then declined to provide any details. He also said he agreed with the intelligence assessment.

The theories are not mutually exclusive: Some officials who have examined the intelligence reports, which remain classified, say it is possible that an animal infected with the virus in the laboratory was destroyed and that a lab worker was accidentally infected in the process. But that is just one of many theories still being examined.

China has previously denied the virus originated in a laboratory.

The editor in chief of The Global Times, a nationalist tabloid controlled by the Chinese Communist Party, condemned the U.S. administration for making accusations without presenting evidence.

“Don’t just say there’s enormous evidence, Pompeo should present them to the world,” the editor, Hu Xijin, wrote on Twitter. “By demanding to investigate Wuhan lab they are trying to create continuous controversy and focus, to fool the American public.”

China’s state-run news agency Xinhua released an animated video featuring Lego-like figures representing the two countries mocking the United States response to the virus.

It is not just the Trump administration that has been increasingly critical of China.

The Times’s chief diplomatic correspondent for Europe, Steven Erlanger, reports that a backlash across the globe is building against Beijing for its initial mishandling of the crisis, creating a deeply polarizing battle of narratives and setting back China’s ambition to fill the leadership vacuum left by the United States.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
this is all very interesting please go on about this more

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I'm looking to buy plane tickets to visit family in early August.

lol that I may have to cancel this idea because evangelicals with assault rifles want their baby back ribs

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
demanding you be allowed to do your bespoke outdoorsmen poo poo during a pandemic is the millennial equivalent demanding people die so you can get a haircut; except the people doing haircuts actually live for the most part in areas that have hospitals.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gonna ride, ain't a loving thing you can do about it.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Admiral Ray posted:

nice. i've been thinking of driving out to one of the national forests in the hopes of it being somewhat empty but i dunno how realistic that is. worst thing would be to get there and there be 50 other yokels like me crowding round the trailhead.

parking lots are closed but the overflow parking isn't which greatly limits the people that can be there

make sure you have your NFS parking pass since it's like $30 for a yearly one and gently caress you for not supporting places where you're hiking

also 50 other yokels is about right at the place where my gf and i go... which works out to crossing the path of like 5 people max over the course of 5 hours

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

one of the most fantastically fitted lines of all time, from the standpoint of historical data

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

At least in this model the uncertainty increases with time unlike the IMHE model.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Gonna ride, ain't a loving thing you can do about it.

the virus:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I mean at this point we've basically just decided that everyone is going to get it and all we can hope for is that when we do either its mild or that by then they figure out a treatment more effective than the current 'hope for the best'.

Even though this plan is disastrous for both lives and the economy. Opening poo poo back up isn't gonna get most people back out to restaurants or the gym because they realize those environments increase their risk and it isn't gonna get them spending money because everyone has either already lost thier job or is afraid of losing thier job soon.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

If this is the case, and we're around 2k daily now, and the rise is steady, we'll probably have around 75k total May deaths, for a total of around 140,000

Thread predictions not looking too bad atm

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
~if you have to go to the grocery store for food you are part of the problem~

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1257327278935154688?s=19

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

It isn't, but okay.

Riding on a trail isn't like sitting on the Public Mall in DC and spitting in other patriots' mouths, there's nothing unusual about commenting on people ignoring social distancing measures while trying to maintain them yourselves.

I'm actually down all of my usual riding spots and I'm stuck throwing my bike on my wagon and driving 40 minutes south and it's still a loving mess.

Stay inside, fucker

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

100k by the end of may

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 02:38 on May 25, 2020

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Mr Hootington posted:

60k by the end of may

aren't we already at 60k?

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

MorrisBae posted:

Stay inside, fucker

pittsburgh covid-19 aerosol cloud

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I hate to be naive but it’s loving crazy to me that they can project 200k new cases a day by the end of the month and no one is doing literally anything about it

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

If this is the case, and we're around 2k daily now, and the rise is steady, we'll probably have around 75k total May deaths, for a total of around 140,000

Thread predictions not looking too bad atm

c-spam is wise when it doesn't get emotionally invested in an outcome

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

MorrisBae posted:

Stay inside, fucker

can't hear you, riding my bike

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Mons Hubris posted:

I hate to be naive but it’s loving crazy to me that they can project 200k new cases a day by the end of the month and no one is doing literally anything about it

not true

chuds are trying to increase that number and trump is encouraging them

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

what a terrible thing to call the woman you cheated on your wife with

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Gringostar posted:

We're currently at 68k in the USA.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mons Hubris posted:

I mean, someone leaked this, and the news broke literally just now.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Skyarb posted:

We're currently at 68k in the USA.

almost nice

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The average career is even worse than you mentioned, it's 2.5 years and most of those dudes are making league minimum ($495K as of 2019). Professional athletes tend to form the center of a web of financial support for family and friends, so that money goes quick.

Mike Webster was one of the best defensive players in NFL history. He lived in his truck and at rest stops after his NFL career ended and died of a heart attack at age 50.

lol I half-assedly googled and the big number said 900k but that’s with 7 years. Ten years of destroying your mind and body for 400k lol

I got a permanently hosed up neck and a decade of neurological issues and I only played 3 years in high school, don’t let your kids play contact sports jfc

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

we are hosed

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I mean, someone leaked this, and the news broke literally just now.

Presumably it was swirling around inside the administration for at least a little while and they don’t seem to have a problem with it

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

death to sports

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Mons Hubris posted:

the people bleating about car crashes and cancer won, they turned this from an acute crisis requiring immediate action (we're bad at this) into chronic, structural violence directed at poor communities (we're great at this)

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Mons Hubris posted:

I think you're going to see Blue states on lockdown start arming their borders to keep people out/keep people from leaving

Nothing is going to gently caress this all up even more like Six Flags or Disney World opening and everyone from a lockdown state driving down to catch the virus and bring it back home

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Mass American death is normalized now. Uh oh

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

when do the us teams start playing from the safe zones

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Astronomia begins playing softly in the background

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

skewetoo posted:

Mass American death is normalized now. Uh oh

[COVID-19 May] Mass America 2020 - bringing back the swimsuit competition

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gringostar posted:

Yeah and it will stay that way. TRUEMP

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'm fortunate enough to live in a small town such that i can go for walks around the neighborhood without encountering people. and on the rare occasion i see someone coming i can just duck out into the street to avoid them.

Gringostar posted:

what a terrible thing to call the woman you cheated on your wife with

lol come on this was ages ago. find some new material

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

MorrisBae posted:

I think you're going to see Blue states on lockdown start arming their borders to keep people out/keep people from leaving

no you won't lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

The whole thing is frustrating because it's useless guidance. Hell, no one even know what six feet away even is. But beyond that, the bus and restaurant studies showed that no one has a loving clue how this thing is spreading, and everyone should be considering every action they take as a risk

Go outside ? A risk. No mask? Risk. Go near someone? Risk. Go near someone really quickly then not? Still a risk

Instead it's just like oh we have a magic number of 6 feet and 10 minutes based on a guess and lets treat that as gospel because we don't want to actually change our behavior the tiniest bit since we're selfish and prefer not to think about anything like that

yeah like don't loving assume anything about the virus and take all the precautions you can

my wife had to go into work (retail) for "training" bc they've all been on catastrophe pay for a month and a half and they're planning on semi-reopening. it was all stupid bullshit... but i gave her an N95 and made a secondary cloth mask to cover it and more of her face, and helped give her a hairstyle that made the mask comfortable to wear + kept hair away from her face, and she wore a button up shirt instead of something she'd have to pull off over her head, shoes that were easy to slip off in the doorway, and we put her phone in a zippy bag along with a spare key and a spare mask in a separate bag, and put that inside of an easily hand-washable nylon drawstring bag because we don't have a washing machine in unit

and she went to work and her coworkers are wearing poorly fitted cloth masks and touching them constantly and their phones and she was like :whitewater: *washes hands again*

then she came home, i opened the door, she got her shoes off, stripped in the entryway, put her clothes in a bag i had for her, and i took nylon her bag and stuff and washed it, she washed her hands and then i washed her cloth mask + glasses, put her N95 outside, washed my hands for the 20th time today, and she went to take a shower

i do similar poo poo when i get groceries except i wipe down/wash all the groceries lmao

the clothes will sit for 3+ days and even then i'll still handle them with gloves

i made cloth masks for us as backups, and for stuff like checking the mail and taking out the trash, and i fit the elastic to her head size, so i understand it's hard when ppl are buying cloth masks online or having friends make them and they can't really custom fit, but geez

and the manager was wearing one of the company-provided spandex masks and it was too narrow lmfao

snoo has issued a correction as of 17:20 on May 4, 2020