Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

mlmp08 posted:

if it means they might have 1% more freedom to buy a certain model of firearm.

This is like nearly every white dude in the Army

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Discussion Quorum posted:

So Texas reopened* on Friday. The result has been an almost immediate change in behavior. I see a lot more people without masks and even got an odd look from my neighbors that basically said "why are you still wearing that thing?" Said neighbors were clearly on their way to a pool party with some friends. Did curbside at Best Buy yesterday and overheard a lady asking why they were "still closed." Everything's fine, didn't you hear?

At least nobody with a rifle is protesting the tyranny of the local Costco's mask rule. Yet. The chuds are real mad at Lina Hidalgo, though.

* Not really but that's what most people seem to have heard.

Yeah, we are "open" mostly in name only. I have also noticed some people pretty much take the "opening" as the go ahead to start mingling like everything is fine. In about 2 weeks we will be locked down again with more cases.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Bored As gently caress posted:

I really wonder what would be happening if we had a competent president and if we had a strong unified message across all levels of government. I doubt we'd be having these protests if that was the case.

Though I suppose if we had a Democrat President, all those rich billionaire fucks would still be astroturfing protests, probably saying "THE PRESIDENT WANTS TO DESTROY THE AMERICAN ECONOMY BLLLAAAARGGH"

Yep. I'd argue that the protests would be even worse, as the protestors would be raging against a Democratic Antichrist president. Which is all the more reason I'm pissed off at Trump, as he could contain a lot of this bullshit if he would yell at his supporters to stay the gently caress home. But alas, cheddarbrain.

Also, y'all should go look at those CDC documents that just leaked to the NYT - they basically know poo poo's getting worse and is probably close to an explosion. I can't link it here for reasons, but someone else here could!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

Yep. I'd argue that the protests would be even worse, as the protestors would be raging against a Democratic Antichrist president. Which is all the more reason I'm pissed off at Trump, as he could contain a lot of this bullshit if he would yell at his supporters to stay the gently caress home. But alas, cheddarbrain.

Also, y'all should go look at those CDC documents that just leaked to the NYT - they basically know poo poo's getting worse and is probably close to an explosion. I can't link it here for reasons, but someone else here could!

Here's the text:

quote:

The Trump administration projects about 3,000 daily deaths by early June.
As President Trump presses for states to reopen their economies, his administration is privately projecting a steady rise in the number of cases and deaths from coronavirus over the next several weeks, reaching about 3,000 daily deaths on June 1, according to an internal document obtained by The New York Times, nearly double from the current level of about 1,750.

The projections, based on modeling by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and pulled together in chart form by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, forecast about 200,000 new cases each day by the end of the month, up from about 25,000 cases now.

The numbers underscore a sobering reality: While the United States has been hunkered down for the past seven weeks, not much has changed. And the reopening to the economy will make matters worse.

“There remains a large number of counties whose burden continues to grow,” the C.D.C. warned.

The projections confirm the primary fear of public health experts: that a reopening of the economy will put the nation right back where it was in mid-March, when cases were rising so rapidly in some parts of the country that patients were dying on gurneys in hospital hallways as the health care system grew overloaded.

“While mitigation didn’t fail, I think it’s fair to say that it didn’t work as well as we expected,” Scott Gottlieb, Mr. Trump’s former commissioner of food and drugs, said Sunday on the CBS program Face the Nation. “We expected that we would start seeing more significant declines in new cases and deaths around the nation at this point. And we’re just not seeing that.”

On Sunday, Mr. Trump said deaths in the United States could reach 100,000, twice as many as he had forecast just two weeks ago. But his new estimate still underestimates what his own administration is now predicting to be the total death toll by the end of May — much less in the months that follow. It follows a pattern for Mr. Trump, who has frequently understated the impact of the disease.

“We’re going to lose anywhere from 75, 80 to 100,000 people,” he said in a virtual town hall on Fox News. “That’s a horrible thing. We shouldn’t lose one person over this.”

Mr. Gottlieb said Americans “may be facing the prospect that 20,000, 30,000 new cases a day diagnosed becomes the new normal.”

Some states that have partially reopened are still seeing an increase in coronavirus cases, including Iowa, Minnesota, Tennessee and Texas, according to Times data. Indiana, Kansas, Nebraska and Arizona also are seeing an increase in cases and are planning on some kind of reopening soon. Alaska has also reopened and is seeing a small number of increasing cases.

While the country has stabilized, it has not really improved, as shown by data collected by The Times. Case and death numbers remain stuck on a numbing, tragic plateau that is tilting only slightly downward.

At least 1,000 people with the virus, and sometimes more than 2,000, have died every day for the last month. On a near-daily basis, at least 25,000 new cases of the virus are being identified across the country. And even as New York City, New Orleans and Detroit have shown improvement, other urban centers, including Chicago and Los Angeles, are reporting steady growth in cases.

The situation has devolved most dramatically in parts of rural America that were largely spared in the early stages of the pandemic. As food processing facilities and prisons have emerged as some of the country’s largest case clusters, the counties that include Logansport, Ind., South Sioux City, Neb., and Marion, Ohio, have surpassed New York City in cases per capita.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/us/coronavirus-updates.html

Here is the PDF link to the full CDC report: https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/6926-mayhhsbriefing/af7319f4a55fd0ce5dc9/optimized/full.pdf#page=1

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/4/21246378/carnival-cruises-resume-date-trips-city-ports-cancellation-offers

quote:

Carnival has announced that it will resume some of its cruises on August 1st. Trips will resume on eight ships leaving from Miami and Port Canaveral, Florida, and Galveston, Texas, according to Reuters.

All other cruises in North America and Australia will remain suspended through at least August 31st, Carnival said. Customers who had booked cruises that are impacted by cancellation will receive an email with instructions for how to claim a refund or other “cancellation offers.” Carnival typically offers the option of full refunds or future cruise credit for canceled trips.

They're gonna go bankrupt so soon

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

I do risk for a living. My firm advises some of the biggest financial, defense, pharmaceutical and energy partnerships in the country. The closer to capital you get, the less political things get, and the more freely information is shared.

Everything I see professionally is projecting the same thing. We're going to see a 300k+ dead by Christmas of this year. Mostly in the southern/midwestern states that are just bullrushing into reopening.

These places are sacrificing their people at the altar of unproven and unreliable economic recovery, and it's high bullshit.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
Re: Venezuelan Mercenaries

"Fifteen brown-colored helmets were manufactured by High-End Defense Solutions, a Miami-based military equipment vendor owned by a Venezuelan immigrant family. [...] Company owner Mark Von Reitzenstein did not respond to repeated email and phone requests seeking comment."

It's like the loving joke tweet.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Immanentized posted:

I do risk for a living. My firm advises some of the biggest financial, defense, pharmaceutical and energy partnerships in the country. The closer to capital you get, the less political things get, and the more freely information is shared.

Everything I see professionally is projecting the same thing. We're going to see a 300k+ dead by Christmas of this year. Mostly in the southern/midwestern states that are just bullrushing into reopening.

These places are sacrificing their people at the altar of unproven and unreliable economic recovery, and it's high bullshit.

For sure, and rushing to reopen is such a pointless and idiotic exercise. People treat it like driving to work when there is ten feet of snow on the road.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Pritzker is doing good. These people are loving dickbags.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

That may likely be true, especially as they have no revenue coming in and massive ships idling. I wonder if their strategy of not being US flagged will be a fatal blow, as that kept them from grabbing early relief funds and there isn't much political support for bailing out a foreign owned firm. Especially as they are in no way an essential business.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

9/11/01 death tolls every day indefinitely. Fabulous.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1257344749784137732?s=21

Just a protestor. Can’t wait to hear about his hobbies and favorite foods.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The liberal media!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Immanentized posted:

Hey even in the non-open early states, people still aren't taking poo poo seriously.

My wife woke me up this morning to tell me one of her techs texted her saying she had been hanging out with a friend who's mom was now showing symptoms and she wondered if she should not come in or not.

I lost my cool and told her she should fire the tech because she's repeatedly done stupid poo poo like this (she's ignored PPE protocol several times, bragged about going to parties during this, etc) and they work in a medical environment (veterinary medicine), so she's needlessly putting people who need to come in at risk.

Fortunately her bosses stepped in, got another tech to come in and told the other one to stay away for awhile.

I'm just so tired of this poo poo.

Also my company told us to continue working from home through June 30 even if our local or state govs lift stay at home orders. From the wording of the email, it sounds like they think June 30 is just a placeholder for now.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

If we had all not been stupid, we would be done dealing with it right now.

I wish chuds (and stupid non-chuds) had the self awareness to realize if they had spent the last 30 days (or even the first 30 days) staying in the loving house, we would easily have gotten over the worst.

The coronavirus has a guaranteed vaccine for people who haven’t caught it yet, but we gotta get haircuts instead.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm just so tired of this poo poo.

Someone mentioned today that we're basically handling this thing like a school shooting - thoughts and prayers but oh well, nothing we can do, time to accept it and go onto what we were doing and hope it doesn't come for us!

Also that for a solid chunk of conservatives, their entire concept of operations is "gently caress off, you don't get to tell me what to do" usually immediately preceding a "go after *them* damnit!" Then usually some JESUS NEVER WORE A MASK OR CLOSED CHURCHES when Christianity basically originated in people's homes, non-public.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Jesus christ has nothing to do with american christianity anyway

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

The teachings of Jesus, as I, a heathen, understand them, are pretty secular in nature and can be summarized with “don’t be an rear end in a top hat to people and take care of each other.” The GOP does not know the same Jesus.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A dude telling people "Hey don't be an rear end in a top hat" and actually being listened to getting merc'd by wealthy elites is an extremely plausible story TBF

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Woofer posted:

I don’t think we would be in this position at all. The US is a really lovely country but I think we did a lot to keep things in check.

For example, having a pandemic team and a fully funded Department of Health (specifically the CDC).

There’s a reason SARS didn’t get this bad, and I don’t think it’s just because it’s not as deadly (though I don’t really know much about SARS — just comparing the US between then and now). I think the US hosed the entire world on this one. And while I don’t think one country should ultimately be responsible for what happens in another country, the United States (and just about ever western democracy, tbh) is the last country I give that pass to.

But maybe I’m a total idiot and I’m overestimating the power of a fully functioning US.

I agree with you on this. In the last 10 years SARS, MERS, Ebola, and Zika got stamped out without even a vaccine. The US provided support to each of the countries that these flared up in. The CDC provided research, tests, and tools. The US Public Health Service picked up tent hospital packages from the military and deployed to the hot spots. In every other plague, the US had the back for every other country, no question, no hesitation.

Until this one.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

shame on an IGA posted:

A dude telling people "Hey don't be an rear end in a top hat" and actually being listened to getting merc'd by wealthy elites is an extremely plausible story TBF

Something like that already happened, unfortunately.

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1257306327769964544?s=20

Michigan security guard shot and killed after asking Family Dollar shopper to wear a mask
https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/michigan-security-guard-shot-and-killed-after-asking-family-dollar-shopper-to-wear-a-mask

I'm legit worried that there's going to be a lot more stories like this coming up. Had a cop once threaten to punch me in a McDonald's if I yelled at him for being an rear end in a top hat and endangering people. We weren't in a McDonald's at the time. He thought it was a good hypothetical while he was berating me for getting jumped in a bar (that I just retired from) for yelling at people being assholes. The bartender asked for my help in dealing with them, and the guys who jumped me got dogpiled.

But, in happier memories.
https://twitter.com/nascarman_rr/status/1257273179388723200?s=20

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Gee I wonder if the shooter was white

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Well it was Flint, so you have about a 1 in 3....hahaha who am I loving kidding. :sigh:

Someone is kind enough to track some twitter meltdowns for this year's meltdown may. I'm expecting it to be one for the ages.

https://twitter.com/SAMOYEDCORE/status/1256461321333137409

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Given that the pace car was a Firebird I'm wondering if this wasn't viral marketing for Smokey and the Bandit 4.

( I know that there was never a Smokey and the Bandit 4)

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
1) That new CDC model was bad/incomplete and CDC never should've included it in any kind of official slide deck (I believe this, as the CDC has been hollowed the gently caress out of anyone with a brain)

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1257392630331293696

2) The White House is using really bad models and idiotic assumptions made by poo poo economists including the Dow 36,000 creator

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1257395401461727232

3) The IHME model is finally catching up to how lovely we did and adjusted to 135,000 deaths from 72,000.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

I really wonder what would be happening if we had a competent president and if we had a strong unified message across all levels of government. I doubt we'd be having these protests if that was the case.

Though I suppose if we had a Democrat President, all those rich billionaire fucks would still be astroturfing protests, probably saying "THE PRESIDENT WANTS TO DESTROY THE AMERICAN ECONOMY BLLLAAAARGGH"

It certainly seems that the virus was circulating worldwide at the end of December at the very earliest.

For all of dumbfuck’s China bashing, the CCP bears some responsibility for not alerting the world sooner and likely downplaying/keeping the numbers under wraps.

That said, the US could’ve done a lot with our allies to coordinate responses. And at home, a competent administration could’ve ramped up production of testing equipment, PPE, field hospitals, and ventilators prior to loving April.

That’d make the current situation livable at least. We’d be nearing the point where testing and contact tracing could start making a dent in new case numbers. It’d mean less overwhelmed hospitals and a lower death toll.

But the whole world got hosed when this thing got out of China and started community spreading around the US and Europe. No administration could’ve stopped the pandemic at that point.

Then we hosed our own rear end by not making the barest of preparations. A competent administration could’ve had us out of this by fall.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I really wonder what would be happening if we had a competent president

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

facialimpediment posted:

1) That new CDC model was bad/incomplete and CDC never should've included it in any kind of official slide deck (I believe this, as the CDC has been hollowed the gently caress out of anyone with a brain)

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1257392630331293696

i wouldn't trust nate silver to tell me what color the sky will be tomorrow, but i sure hope you're right

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Are those the WH's projections?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

what in the absolute gently caress is going on with that Y-axis

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Doc Hawkins posted:

i wouldn't trust nate silver to tell me what color the sky will be tomorrow, but i sure hope you're right

I more linked that because it was the quick route to the part of the WaPo about the origins of that model. When the creator of the model at Johns-Hopkins is like "wtf, this model wasn't done, why is the CDC putting it in charts", it's a pretty solid assumption that the model shouldn't be listened to right now! Nate Silver was like "uh, this doesn't make sense on its face, who made this and what were the assumptions" and WaPo basically found that it was basically panicked CDC folks.

Probably better to listen to that than the dumbfuck white house model that says it'll all be over mid-May when things are CURRENTLY accelerating and we've yet to even come down from our initial peak.

shame on an IGA posted:

Logarithmic model. It's how you model a hypercontagious, exponentially-growing disease like COVID. A regular chart is unreadable as it would just be a line pointing straight upwards and it wouldn't tell you anything.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

shame on an IGA posted:

log scales. They’re good for obfuscation!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

But.. that's my point, it's not a log scale because then 1,000,000 and 100,0000 and 10,000 would all be the same distance apart

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Godholio posted:

Are those the WH's projections?

it's from the leaked and linked cdc report

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Maybe Fox News helped them make the axes?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Logarithms are for lies and no one will tell me different

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MODEL PREDICTS GREATER THAN 1 MILLION CASES PER DAY

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

not caring here posted:

Logarithms are for lies and no one will tell me different

Now I get everyone's issue, that chart has weird Y-axisesesesesiiesiesies compared to the usual one:

https://twitter.com/McPherSTL/status/1257331632106864648

I personally think the logarithmic scales are best for reflecting doubling time. You can really see how New York got skullfucked versus California and how this thing is stubbornly sticking around and not going away very quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nah, logarithms are fine, the way they're presented is the lie. "Oh look number flatter!"