Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the problem with mudrunner is that's my actual job. So when I get into playing it I eventually start thinking "I could just go out and do this for real and earn $$$"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Have they implemented ffb in Snowrunner yet? Searching around it looks like a planned feature but isn't fully released yet.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Weedle posted:

is it basically just mudrunner with a new map or is it a proper sequel? the interface looks a lot better at least

A proper sequel. I find it a lot better because they made an actual game out of it. You have different kind of cargoes, different contract types, even some tasks that change the map (build bridges, clear rockslides etc.). It's kind of addictive in a way Mudrunner/Spintires never were for me. The maps are more varied too and it looks quite a bit better imo.

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006

Testicle Masochist posted:

Would anyone like a free copy of Dirt Rally for steam? Got a spare key and all my friends already have it.
If you've still got it, PM sent.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Yeah snowrunner is rad. I've been listening to podcasts while playing it. So strangely relaxing to spend an hour working your way through all the mud and poo poo to deliver some steel or whatever.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'll have to mess with it someday. I loved Spintires and chaotic goon coop sessions where one person would just run around in that loving tank and rescue people.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

jonathan posted:

the problem with mudrunner is that's my actual job. So when I get into playing it I eventually start thinking "I could just go out and do this for real and earn $$$"

How do I become you and take this power? Highlander rules or...?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TremorX posted:

How do I become you and take this power? Highlander rules or...?

I do oilfield/energy field hauling. It can be nice, or it can be absolute hell.

here's a video not by me but has some equipment that i've run over the years. That Kenworth T800 hauling a frac pump with the missing nose was one of ours lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pW-scjgVHU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

jonathan posted:

here's a video not by me but has some equipment that i've run over the years. That Kenworth T800 hauling a frac pump with the missing nose was one of ours lol

This is good poo poo. Have you posted it in the OSHA thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904642

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

jonathan posted:

I used to drive a Western Star septic truck and a Freightliner water truck in the oilfields... this game is like Stockholm syndrome for me.

There was one time I had to empty holding tanks after we'd had a rainy week, the site manager told me just floor it and get into the site as far as I can with the truck. I buried all 3 of my axles, had to pull 250 feet of hose to reach the tanks from the truck. They pulled me back out with one of the giant caterpillars with tracks... those are the only things that seemed to never get stuck. Even the huge trucks with fat monster truck tires with chains would get stuck. Eventually the cat would come and pull them out.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Rated PG-34 posted:

A lot of pros have been ragging about iracing’s tire model actually, esp how it handles driving at the limit. Gotta say I agree: catching a slide is well nigh impossible

they're mad cause they're bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh0ZQMeJv_8

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shine posted:

This is good poo poo. Have you posted it in the OSHA thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904642

That thread is too drat big and busy for my retard brain to cope with. I may have posted in there before.

Kashwashwa posted:

There was one time I had to empty holding tanks after we'd had a rainy week, the site manager told me just floor it and get into the site as far as I can with the truck. I buried all 3 of my axles, had to pull 250 feet of hose to reach the tanks from the truck. They pulled me back out with one of the giant caterpillars with tracks... those are the only things that seemed to never get stuck. Even the huge trucks with fat monster truck tires with chains would get stuck. Eventually the cat would come and pull them out.

Yeah when I was cementing wells, back before customers decided to mat the jobsites, they always just stuck the rig on location and then let the mud get worse and worse. We often had to use a dozer to pull the equipment into the area. LOL one time they couldn't get a drilling rig crew into location with the crew trucks, they loaded a few guys at a time with their gear into the bucket of a loader and then got transported it.

Here is a dozer pulling one of our cement pumps into the mud. (a friend took this photo I might have been driving ? It was years ago)

jonathan fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 5, 2020

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

jonathan posted:

Here is a dozer pulling one of our cement pumps into the mud. (a friend took this photo I might have been driving ? It was years ago)

Nice...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone know if any places with T150’s, T300’s or G29’s actually in stock right now? I ha e a friend looking to start sim racing and he’s having no luck finding a wheel

E: NM, he got impatient and got one off ebay

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 20, 2020

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I know for the T150 PRO I just got a couple weeks ago, I had to wait a good chunk of time for them to even come in stock at retail price, what with everyone being stuck indoors and getting into sim racing thanks to all the irl racing leagues running online. Haven’t managed to put in too much time with it in racing sims, due to my relatively tiny-rear end monitor, but man does it feel good for truckin’.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

If people can wait it out they will get some killer deals on used sim equipment in a couple months.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The forced e-Sports push as real world money tries to keep some business going during Corona continues to be a complete embarrassment. Between nobody setting down clear rules, drivers not realizing how serious they're supposed to take this or not, tire model wars being drawn into the spotlight and sim racers desperate to finally get their hobby validated by real world drivers it's been a festival of cringe.

The latest is Daniel Abt letting some sim racer drive in his stead, intending to later reveal the joke, but ending up getting fired by Audi from his real world seat in Formula E.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lol whoops turns out you should do the job they pay you to do

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah I don't buy his "it's just a prank bro" defence for a moment

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Fake cars and fake tracks, but real money, real sponsors, real advertising, real broadcasting, and real spectators should be taken real serious.
Doesn't matter if it's "Just a game, lol", it's part of the business now and should be treated as such. The way I see it as it's no different than if a driver was doing some other promotional bit for their sponsors in front of fans, and after 10 minutes just up and walked out, or had an impersonator go in his place, or talked out their rear end in front of a TV camera. There would still be real world consequences. Just because the promotional bit was sim racing doesn't make it any lesser than other aspects of the job that aren't necessarily centered around physically being in the car on track.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 29, 2020

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

this is the real crime here imo

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I also believe the angle that Audi have been wanting to get rid of Abt for ages and this was finally the excuse they wanted.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Vando posted:

this is the real crime here imo

That fight is over and lost. We got to learn to live in this world and move forward.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You would think these people would already understand the importance of sponsored events by now. When a sponsor wants you in their hair gel commercial, you don't just tell them to gently caress off halfway through and throw out the n-word. But they ask them to use their skills as a racing driver to provide entertainment for fans and also make some money, and they act like children.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Sure some of the races have been a mess but I think it's been neat seeing sim racing more in the spotlight and watching real drivers try it out/get more into it

Esports are pretty cool man

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Iracing made enough money to scan more cars and whatnot.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Eyud posted:

Sure some of the races have been a mess but I think it's been neat seeing sim racing more in the spotlight and watching real drivers try it out/get more into it

Esports are pretty cool man

It's true.

And I don't think any other game has as high of a probability that you'll bump into an actual professional on any given night.
I've encountered at least half a dozen over the past few months, and a few even before that. Some multiple times. Most have actually been fairly chill.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The real interesting thing is the tire model critique. Real racers jumping into a sim they're not used to and spinning out is expected. These guys spend all day in a racecar with g-forces and chassis feedback, plus the wheel feedback. Then they jump into a sim which they aren't used to on a widescreen monitor and the only chassis feedback they get is from the wheel.

Then they push the car to the limits while numb to most of the physics going on, spin out and then blame the game. Meanwhile you have guys like empty box who drive way way loose and recover every time.

I think it's less the tire models and more just competitive racers who think they should be God's gift to sim racing when in reality, they're starting out fresh like any green driver (but with better muscle memory and reflexes).

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
ACC is half off on Steam. Is it worth grabbing if I don't do a lot of online racing? Or is that kind of the whole point?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Immolat1on posted:

ACC is half off on Steam. Is it worth grabbing if I don't do a lot of online racing? Or is that kind of the whole point?

I exclusively race against AI in ACC and I love it and can highly recommend it. The dlc is worth every penny for suzuka and Bathurst alone, honestly, but the other tracks are great too. It's my favorite non-rally Sim by far and gets most of my time these days.

If you don't like GT3 cars and want more variety you might not like it, but those are my favorite to race so it's a perfect Sim for me.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah as long as you like GT3 cars, ACC is fantastic

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

The real interesting thing is the tire model critique. Real racers jumping into a sim they're not used to and spinning out is expected. These guys spend all day in a racecar with g-forces and chassis feedback, plus the wheel feedback. Then they jump into a sim which they aren't used to on a widescreen monitor and the only chassis feedback they get is from the wheel.

Then they push the car to the limits while numb to most of the physics going on, spin out and then blame the game. Meanwhile you have guys like empty box who drive way way loose and recover every time.

I think it's less the tire models and more just competitive racers who think they should be God's gift to sim racing when in reality, they're starting out fresh like any green driver (but with better muscle memory and reflexes).

Nicki Thiim has been using iRacing for a long time; he's not "jumping into a sim [he's] not used to and spinning out". And I've been simracing for 22 years, and I still think there's something seriously off about iRacing's slip angles.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

It's a little of column A a little of column B to my mind. There's undoubtably a level of sour grapes in the pros/high tier racers from other sims when they join iRacing and find the competition is a lot stiffer than they assumed and they don't just rocket to the front .

That said there are definitely a couple of issues with the newest version of the iRacing tire model that are verifyable and should be discussed. Off the top of my head there's the lack of grip in high-speed corners in certain downforce cars. And the fact that grass and gravel traps are basically travelators that accelarate you into the barriers.

That said, I'll always prefer iRacing's approach of an iterative tire model chasing realistic tire wear and feel through interaction with the tarmac rather than the ACC method of "make the car feel good on surface A, rain = 75% less grip". I'm sure it feels better now but they can never change it in future because nerds will complain about it.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 30, 2020

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I bought all the stuff I needed to start sim racing while I’ve been in lockdown, joining the bazillion other people doing the same thing, and I’d just like to say that it’s awesome and worth the cost.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Steen71 posted:

Nicki Thiim has been using iRacing for a long time; he's not "jumping into a sim [he's] not used to and spinning out". And I've been simracing for 22 years, and I still think there's something seriously off about iRacing's slip angles.

Yeah but we're talking about the simulation of BAD driving, not GOOD driving. and as a bad driver I can say the spin out into wall and lodge your car between trees is very accurate.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

NtotheTC posted:

That said, I'll always prefer iRacing's approach of an iterative tire model chasing realistic tire wear and feel through interaction with the tarmac rather than the ACC method of "make the car feel good on surface A, rain = 75% less grip". I'm sure it feels better now but they can never change it in future because nerds will complain about it.

That isn't how it's done in ACC though: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/tyres-oh-its-raining.50739/

that link posted:

Rain.
Rain in ACC is not simulated by simply lowering the grip. We simulate mathematically an actual water film depth. Tyres go over it and depending on tread design, load, speed and more, they manage to drain the water out and have a contact with the ground… or not. If the tyre can’t drain enough water, then it starts losing contact, up to complete aquaplaning, which means total loss of grip, zero, null, nada. So in ACC the feeling you get from a wet circuit is a good grip but a constant feeling of “something is about to happen”. You might do a turn in a specific way and feel there’s more than enough grip, you might even think “hey that was easy after all, arcade™!”, only to push a tiny bit more the lap after, or have the rain fall harder 3 laps later and go completely aquaplaning sliding out of the corner. The wetness also lowers drastically the heat generated by the surface layer of the tyre, so temperature of the tyres will go down inevitably.
and so forth. There's a lot of info in that thread, which was posted by the devs. It also doesn't feel at all like "75% less grip" when you're driving in it. Either you're talking about a pre-release version or just heard something misleading.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

jabro posted:

If people can wait it out they will get some killer deals on used sim equipment in a couple months.
That's what I'm hoping for. VR setups have already started popping up for near reasonable prices.

Steen71 posted:

I've always felt iracing's tire model was a little off, I personally like rfactor2 better. Assetto Corsa feels too grippy most of the IMO.

Replaced the failed HDD on the sim a couple months ago. Went to plug more memory and a slightly faster used CPU and now the SSD has taken a crap. Almost like 8-10 year old stuff wears out. Then I broke my foot so the whole thing is sitting torn apart to deal with later.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

That isn't how it's done in ACC though: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/tyres-oh-its-raining.50739/
and so forth. There's a lot of info in that thread, which was posted by the devs. It also doesn't feel at all like "75% less grip" when you're driving in it. Either you're talking about a pre-release version or just heard something misleading.

That's kind of what I'm talking about. There's a lot of words in that post from the devs that basically amount to "we reduce the grip by X%". It's good that they modulate it based on "amount of rain"- I think F1 2019 does that as well- but that's not a tenth of the complexity needed for a solid wet driving model.

Off the top of my head you're missing:

- Water pooling (not just depth, but based on the track scan that accurately models where puddles/rivers form)
- track surface temperature
- track core temperature
- wet/dry line crossover
- rubber laydown on the racing line reducing grip
- marbles increasing grip off the racing line

and more that I'll have to ask OhsH about because he's the karting nerd. These aren't just arbitrary "realism" points either, but those are just the components that are needed to make wet weather driving in a sim behave even slightly like in real life, hunting for the grip, avoiding pooled water, etc etc

I find that ACC dev post a bit misleading because it's "Hey, we don't just pick a number and reduce grip! We look at how much it's raining first THEN we pick the number to reduce grip by!" which is great and again I understand it's fun to drive but it's definitely a game version of wet-weather driving not a simulation of wet weather driving. And I'm not saying that iRacing is BETTER because iRacing doesn't even have wet weather right now- the reason being they don't want to half-implement it without being able to do all of the above first. There's not a game on the market that has a good wet weather driving model and there won't be until developers do all of those things- if it's done by ACC first then great I'll have a lot of fun with it, I suspect it won't be because it requires constant, iterative development. If it comes it will be in the "next" Assetto Corsa game whatever that is

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 31, 2020

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

NitroSpazzz posted:

That's what I'm hoping for. VR setups have already started popping up for near reasonable prices.

I've always felt iracing's tire model was a little off, I personally like rfactor2 better. Assetto Corsa feels too grippy most of the IMO.

Replaced the failed HDD on the sim a couple months ago. Went to plug more memory and a slightly faster used CPU and now the SSD has taken a crap. Almost like 8-10 year old stuff wears out. Then I broke my foot so the whole thing is sitting torn apart to deal with later.

I've found that being unable to race due to a foot-related injury just gives one too much time to spend money on sim racing. I had a string of two injuries (one I was able to do a bit of racing through still), and since then I've added a monitor mount and 40" TV to my cockpit and ordered the stock and parts to build a whole new rig with 8020. My makerspace is shutdown so I can't mill the parts I need to fabricate, but my new job has a mill and lathe, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

NtotheTC posted:

That said there are definitely a couple of issues with the newest version of the iRacing tire model that are verifyable and should be discussed.

Newest? I think it's been off from day 1. Or like 2010. Whenever I first joined. I'm not allowed to even see when that was without paying for it again.

Let's face it, GPL had similar problems (and I loved GPL). It's clearly how Kaemmer thinks cars should drive.