Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Agony Aunt posted:

Nope. You can store credits on your FC (it won't take credits from your main balance to pay for itself) and it will use those to pay for its running costs while you are offline. When the money runs out, then you get some sort of grace period, after which, you lose the fleet carrier, its sold for a fraction of what you paid for it, and you are billions of credits out of pocket.

So keep playing and paying or lose it.

Absoloutely tragic game design. And people are supporting it. I just can't get my head around that.

Thing is, it will cost you a billion or so a year just to keep one, not to mention additional costs of making the drat thing travel (fuel and additional maintainance costs).

I so thought Fleet Carriers would be an awsome addition to exploration. Taking a fleet carrier out into the black with my fleet of ships, possibly staying out there effectively for as long as i wanted. Oh no, FD totally kyboshed that idea. They initially were not even going to add universal cartographics to it, meaning explorers would have had no way to make money while exploring in one.

And here is the icing on the cake. Fleet Carriers won't even work as a fleet carrier for the owner unless you buy one of the most expensive additional extras (a shipyard). That's right, fleet carriers are not even fleet carriers unless you pay extra (which also adds to the ongoing maintaince costs).

Oh, it's just for the carriers, that's not as horrible. I thought I'd go to play the game again and find out I'm at negative a billion credits because I hadn't logged in in years

Still probably not gonna play it tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo! I just saw a video about the upkeep on those carriers and the whole thing is hilarious.

So, after the players bitched about the upkeep costs, FDEV decided to reduce them by 80-90% Eighty to ninety percent! What the flying gently caress? So, before, if you wanted to have ships, like, landing on your carrier, it would cost you 42 million credits per week but now, thanks to the good will of the developers it's only like 4-8 million,

Huzzah!

And that's only to have your poo poo be able to land. Other services have their costs too.

Ahahahaha.

I'm pretty sure some relative of these guys works at FDEV

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hwqok

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 4, 2020

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

trucutru posted:

Holy poo poo! I just saw a video about the upkeep on those carriers and the whole thing is hilarious.

So, after the players bitched about the upkeep costs, FDEV decided to reduce them by 80-90% Eighty to ninety percent! What the flying gently caress? So, before, if you wanted to have ships, like, landing on your carrier, it would cost you 42 million credits per week but now, thanks to the good will of the developers it's only like 4-8 million,

Huzzah!

And that's only to have your poo poo be able to land. Other services have their costs too.

Ahahahaha.

Every service you add not only comes with an upfront cost, but then an ongoing cost.... which gets charged every week, regardless of whether you play or not.

Want to take a break from the game for a few months, better make sure your carrier has enough credits on it so its still there when you return.

Have family problems, in the army and deployed somewhere that you can't play, get seriously sick... haha, gently caress you, by the time you return your fleet carrier will be decomissioned and you will be billions out of pocket.

Can't wait for the first post from someone who had to be absent from the game due to a serious illness and return to discover they lost their FC and billions. I seriously hope the gaming media pick up on it and give it the negative spin it deserves.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Forum dads will tell you that's alright and necessary because... basically the same reasons Shitizens have why of course the big powerful ships should be exceptionally hard expensive to earn buy.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

orcane posted:

Forum dads will tell you that's alright and necessary because... basically the same reasons Shitizens have why of course the big powerful ships should be exceptionally hard expensive to earn buy.

From my extensive 5 minutes plus a video research on the topic the defense appears to be that when a carrier travels to a system it becomes a fixed location that any other player can see and use and, therefore, without maintenance costs they would slowly litter the universe as players left them around.

Of course, the extremely complex solution of "if you don't log in a month your carrier disappears until you log back in" is not possible.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bofast posted:

I suspect there are other studios who could do a whole lot if they could just license Elite's engine+universe simulation and then replaced a bunch of the grind with more fun activities.

Now this i will counter. The activities in ED are (generally) fun. Once, twice, thrice.... where they get boring is through repitition. And this is a problem all similar games face. Once you've done a gofer mission, you've done all gofer missions.

Play skyrim for any length of time and it becomes "oh joy (sarcasm), another gofer mission"

Invent any "fun" activity you can imagine that's actually implementable, and then do it dozens of times, then tell me its still fun.

I'm playing GTA a lot and this week special cargo is on x2 profit. Its a good bonus. I grinded like a whore to make 2 large warehouse sales for around 9 million.

Individually the missions to gather cargo are fun. Even the one where you have to get 3 crates from out at sea... at least once or twice. But when you get that mission multiple times while sourcing hundreds of crates, you start to hate it... you start to hate all the missions.

Go ahead, think of any mission you want to add, the most amazingly fun mission you can think off. Maybe a mission where hentai thousand year old dragons in disguise flash their titties at you as you travel. And i guarantee that after a while you will be sick of seeing thousand year old dragon titties.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

From my extensive 5 minutes plus a video research on the topic the defense appears to be that when a carrier travels to a system it becomes a fixed location that any other player can see and use and, therefore, without maintenance costs they would slowly litter the universe as players left them around.

Of course, the extremely complex solution of "if you don't log in a month your carrier disappears until you log back in" is not possible.

Look there's only 400 billion systems, we can't have players leaving their stuff everywhere or things will get messy.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Guys, I think we may want to reduce the damage on Ryu's dragon punch by 80 to 90%, I think we may have gone a bit overboard. -

We are good designers.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

trucutru posted:

Guys, I think we may want to reduce the damage on Ryu's dragon punch by 80 to 90%, I think we may have gone a bit overboard. -

We are good designers.

You leave Ryu alone!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

You leave Ryu alone!

At least Ken has never suffered the ignominy of growing a pair of little horns on his head.

And I'm a Zangief player anyways, gently caress the shotos!

I also see that they reduced the jump preparation time on those carriers form one hour to a mere fifteen minutes. Lol, the SC backers don't know how good they have it.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

To me the whole Fleet Carrier thing just feels like ED giving a shrinking player base of game dads (who still spend hundreds of hours a month in the game and obviously hate themselves), something to continue to grind to both earn and maintain.

It’s the ultimate reward for endless tedium... even more endless tedium.

It’s poetic in a way.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

:reddit: posted:

Dear CIG, PLEASE change it so you don't get a crimestat for shooting ANYONE aboard your own ship.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

trucutru posted:

Huzzah!

Ahahahaha.

I'm pretty sure some relative of these guys works at FDEV

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hwqok

Not that I'm defending the shitshow that is fleet carriers, but for a player who's advanced enough to be able to afford the thing, 4-8 million per week is peanuts. Back when I played more, I was nowhere near rich enough to buy one, but I could make a couple hundred million credits in an hour of deep core diamond mining.

The fleet carrier plan is stupid though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's peanuts every single week for as long as you want to keep the carrier though. It's truly mindbogglingly stupid.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
still there is a differnce between:

- an unpopular decision from a game studio (which they thought about before i suppose and which they can fix)
- and a broken jankfest where nothing works

i can tell you for which company id prefer to work.

there is a giant difference between “our mistake, we'll fix it“ and “drat we dont have a clue what we are doing...but we will have spacewhales soon yayyy“

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 4, 2020

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Super-Id posted:

Look there's only 400 billion systems, we can't have players leaving their stuff everywhere or things will get messy.

This. Once everyone has a fleet carrier, it's going to get hella crowded.

colonelwest posted:

It’s poetic in a way.

They don't have a deep enough economic model to support a subscription based ship. Schoolboy error based on the diehards, I suspect.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's the studio that started with free ship/equipment transfers across the galaxy (well, settled systems) and let forum idiots convince them that there has to be a HUGE PUNISHING cost and a meaningful time delay to it (it's not that huge and punishing but originally they wanted it to be). They also started with unlimited fuel for your planetary landing rovers, and due to forum dads they added fuel you had to farm/synthesize. In the end it's just small costs and time delays ie. pretty meaningless busywork, but it adds up over time and is completely unnecessary. Competent devs who trust their own design would have just told the grognards to get hosed.

On a technical level FDev is light years ahead of CIG, their galaxy generator is great and so is the graphics engine, flight model etc. The game also works without crashing (it's not good at all at the whole playing with other people thing, especially if you want to play with specific people).

But they have the same brain disease as Chris and the Shitizens. They just started on a much higher level of competence so the idiotic decisions don't manage to drag the game down as much.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
eurotruck simulator comparison incoming...

imagine if frontier worked on the eurotruck simulator they'd maybe be like “yeah we'll reduce the price for gasoline by 25 cents“
and thats totally fine.

cig would be like: “soon you'll be able to transform into optimus prime mofo!! all the other games suck! pledge moar!“
(while bridges are missing and everything would be under water)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

orcane posted:

But they have the same brain disease as Chris and the Shitizens. They just started on a much higher level of competence so the idiotic decisions don't manage to drag the game down as much.

I have a feeling that once they got out of the core of the Elite game with the online bit, they were a bit of a loss of how to turn the sandbox in the theme park. If the fleet carrier is the only thing in the update, they'll come acropper, but I'll happily throw thirty bucks a year at a decent game.

CIG's problem is how do you turn a tech-demo of a theme park into a sandbox, effectively for free.

Keith Calder's offering himself up for podcasts if anyone has cojones of steel.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bumble He posted:

eurotruck simulator comparison incoming...

imagine if frontier worked on the eurotruck simulator they'd maybe be like “yeah we'll reduce the price for gasoline by 25 cents“
and thats totally fine.

cig would be like: “soon you'll be able to transform into optimus prime mofo!! all the other games suck! pledge moar!“
(while bridges are missing and everything would be under water)
FDev would start at something relatable like $1.50 per liter for gasoline, then raise it to 15 bucks due to forum dads.

CIG would promise that you can set up the entire economy from "mining" crude oil to refining it to shipping it to gas stations eventually to keep you fueled. It's in the pipeline for Fuel 3.0. But for now Fuel 1.0 requires you to spend $10 of real money for a stock of x liters that you can access which refills every few hours (buy more if your ship needs more fuel faster).

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I dunno I've been playing animal crossing every day since getting it and that game has a crap ton of "whoa slow down" mechanics to pad it out, but also to produce a certain tempo to gameplay. Some of them are ridiculously bad design decisions but the complete package does create a pleasing ambience that soothes. I think this thread acts like any other mindset than their own is bad and that's just not true. Animal crossing shows you can sooth the player with such decisions.

But it's also a game where I beat a sloth with a net for a couple minutes after getting frustrated at how slow the fucker talks.

It's about doing it well. That carrier stuff sounds obnoxious, but it doesn't mean upkeep and goals and time between them can't be used well.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Spiderdrake posted:

I dunno I've been playing animal crossing every day since getting it and that game has a crap ton of "whoa slow down" mechanics to pad it out, but also to produce a certain tempo to gameplay. Some of them are ridiculously bad design decisions but the complete package does create a pleasing ambience that soothes. I think this thread acts like any other mindset than their own is bad and that's just not true. Animal crossing shows you can sooth the player with such decisions.

But it's also a game where I beat a sloth with a net for a couple minutes after getting frustrated at how slow the fucker talks.

It's about doing it well. That carrier stuff sounds obnoxious, but it doesn't mean upkeep and goals and time between them can't be used well.

That and you didn't pay $27,000 for it.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
This is pretty cool. Not my cup of tea, but good luck to 'em

quote:

The DSSA is a project to deploy a network of support Carriers all over the galaxy to help explorers in their deep space travels. Those Carriers, offered by individuals, groups, factions or squadrons, would remain in a fixed and public location for at the very least a full year, open to all, with at least repair services, at a fair price (other services are at the owner's liberty). Beacons in the profound night, they would form a mesh of safe harbours for anyone who would need a rest stop.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-deep-space-support-array-dssa-a-fleetcomm-initiative.540166/

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

trucutru posted:

We are good designers.

Fool!

DP isn't about damage, it's about the knockdown which sets up your next play on wakeup. :colbert:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Colostomy Bag posted:

That and you didn't pay $27,000 for it.
Oh, I'm talking about Elite.

Star Citizen has all these words and ideas that, in a delicately maintained system, would make for an interesting game.

Instead its a constant deluge of animation abominations in a shallow pool of piss. It encourages players who already don't want to play the game to not play the game.

Whereas I want to plant that loving Sloth's shrubs if he'd just loving shut up and let me!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sell land claims for real money Frontier or get the gently caress out!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

colonelwest posted:

To me the whole Fleet Carrier thing just feels like ED giving a shrinking player base of game dads (who still spend hundreds of hours a month in the game and obviously hate themselves), something to continue to grind to both earn and maintain.

It’s poetic in a way.

I'm a game dad and i loving hate it.

So get the gently caress out of here with your game dad comments.

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 4, 2020

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Danknificent posted:

DP isn't about damage, it's about the knockdown which sets up your next play on wakeup. :colbert:

Well, if you are not careful when doing DP you can hurt someone a lot. I suggest you think more carefully about how you perform DP and the effect it can have on your partners.

This post was brought to you by DPЯUS and Trojan condoms.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
so here we are yet again

elite dangermouse in the one corner
star shitexplosion in the other corner

and the winner is: dual universe

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

And the referee was Line of Defence

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bumble He posted:

so here we are yet again

The only winning move is not to play.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Every service you add not only comes with an upfront cost, but then an ongoing cost.... which gets charged every week, regardless of whether you play or not.

Want to take a break from the game for a few months, better make sure your carrier has enough credits on it so its still there when you return.

Have family problems, in the army and deployed somewhere that you can't play, get seriously sick... haha, gently caress you, by the time you return your fleet carrier will be decomissioned and you will be billions out of pocket.

Can't wait for the first post from someone who had to be absent from the game due to a serious illness and return to discover they lost their FC and billions. I seriously hope the gaming media pick up on it and give it the negative spin it deserves.

So without this thing you hate but forum dads love, would there be any other means for the carrier to be damaged or destroyed? Any risk or downside?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Bumble He posted:

so here we are yet again

gently caress Dual Universe and their stupid claims about millions of players in one instance too. It is just like Star Citizen but with less money and French.

Dual Universe: Le putain de petit Star Citizen

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Danknificent posted:

Fool!

But if the damage isn't significant enough to consider, it still skews the cost/benefit dramatically in favor of jumping in, which ruins the neutral game. Unless you want a game that's nothing but jump-in and oki setplay, you need the damage of the DP to be a deterrent. C'mon, son!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

god help us we have awoken the sleeping fighting game nerds

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That FC maintenance thing really ain’t that big of a deal. It’s not any different from MMOs that have player housing. :shrug:

It’s a time / money sink.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Awesome! posted:

Like Rita Repulsa at the start of Power Rangers except I'm emerging from my parents basement instead of a magic jar or whatever.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

On the one hand money is trivially easy to make in Elite Dangerous and ten hours of grind would probably cover a year of the most expensive Fleet Carrier, and it's not like you're playing the game to not grind.

On the other hand the Fleet Carrier doesn't do anything to enhance gameplay that a station wouldn't do, and is hugely disappointing as a feature, and why the gently caress would I pay even one hour of my time to get or maintain what is essentially a space station with more expensive services that are immediately eclipsed by any normal station while inside the bubble.

The one place it would be useful, way out exploring, is also the one place that you cannot effectively grind for upkeep on it because you can't sell your poo poo.

It is a bad design

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

orcane posted:

It's the studio that started with free ship/equipment transfers across the galaxy (well, settled systems) and let forum idiots convince them that there has to be a HUGE PUNISHING cost and a meaningful time delay to it (it's not that huge and punishing but originally they wanted it to be). They also started with unlimited fuel for your planetary landing rovers, and due to forum dads they added fuel you had to farm/synthesize. In the end it's just small costs and time delays ie. pretty meaningless busywork, but it adds up over time and is completely unnecessary. Competent devs who trust their own design would have just told the grognards to get hosed.

On a technical level FDev is light years ahead of CIG, their galaxy generator is great and so is the graphics engine, flight model etc. The game also works without crashing (it's not good at all at the whole playing with other people thing, especially if you want to play with specific people).

Well, in the end it all depends on where do they plan to get their money from. If a few forum dads are happy to keep dunking money on cosmetics, consumables and whatever then perhaps the game will make more money doing that stupid tedious bullshit than grognards like instead of being a more accessible game (that's still niche).

For instance, in SC they'll make more developing the game than they'll get by releasing it so they have taken the logical path.

Danknificent posted:

Fool!

Haha, learn the lingo, pretender. No fighting game fan would write all that bullshit when they could just type "okizeme".

See? The less you type the more you can practice your piano inputs.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Awesome! posted:

Actually, fighting game nerds are absolute proof that companies should not listen to their most hardcore fans when designing a new game. Holy poo poo are the results loving bad.

I need more frame perfect links in my goddamn BnB combos!