Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

sebmojo posted:

Nnk2 is a vast improvement on the first one imo, just better in every way.
Having played 2 but not 1... A vast improvement to reach the lofty heights of "Okay I guess"? Wow, 1 must have been awful.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Final Fantasy 8
:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

cloud and squall grew up in the same orphanage. it's like you don't even pay attention to final fantasy canon?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If Cloud and Squall ever meet, they both just look at each other and think "man, what a loser."

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Why do games hate the moon so much.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Cardiovorax posted:

If Cloud and Squall ever meet, they both just look at each other and think "man, what a loser."

Pretty much!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqSwGM1qvnA&t=106s

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Samuringa posted:

Moon's haunted.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Cloud and Squall trying to to out-Cool Aloofness each other like that is exactly how I would have imagined it.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Very excited to check this out. Loved the promise of the game but the mechanics are already obscure and labyrinthine enough without a bad translation further dimming my understanding of them. Will likely start a fresh save and see what the experience plays like now.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Sherlock Holmes Crimes and Punishment:

I solved a case and....0% of players came to the same conclusion.

Feels bad, man :(

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Samuringa posted:

FF8 has a love song about the moon

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

baka kaba posted:

FF8 has a love song about the moon

IIRC, FF8's moon entirely consists of monsters, with its own moon being an evil-future-Sorceress kontainment facility.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think they reused that idea for Bravely Default, too. Then again, in Bravely Default, the moon is also where all the French people live, it's just generally weird like that.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Samuringa posted:

Fanatical Very Positive Bundle

$4

Pathologic Classic HD
Pinstripe
Tesla Vs Lovecraft
Masquerada - Songs and Shadows
The Age of Decadence
Cosmic Star Heroine
Shelter 2
Angry Video Game Nerd 2

I don't have strong opinions on most of these, except Masquerada which is an exceptional hidden gem.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cosmic Star Heroine is an RPG with some interesting gameplay twists. The writing isn't great but it's not terrible either. If you're jonesing for a sci-fi JRPG that isn't Star Ocean you could do a lot worse.

Tesla vs. Lovecraft is another top-down arena shooter from 10tons. I enjoyed it but I still think Neon Chrome and Jydge are their best work.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Edmond Dantes posted:

The moon, to their surprise, turned out to be a prison containing Bahamut who they were using as a battery.

There's a raid series at the end of ARR (Binding Coil of Bahamut) which explains all the shenanigans Allag got around to regarding Bahamut. It's also not mandatory (actually super easy to miss if you don't know it's there) and impossible to matchmake for at this point in time. You can still just go in there with a handful of level 80s and destroy the raid if you want to see the story and cutscenes, I ran my boss through them this past weekend with the help of some other goons.

/edit: fun fact: during the last stretch of 1.0 you could actually see Dalamud (the moon prison) getting bigger in the sky as it hurled towards Eorzea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39j5v8jlndM

Link to the cutscene showing the event for those curious. Song is by Nobuo Uematsu.

I believe this actually played for everyone when they pulled the plug on 1.0, which is pretty cool.

edit: I bounced off of FF14 years ago HARD. I tried it years later and I ended up liking it. I do agree with the poster that said the 'tutorial stuff' goes on way too long. Also, some jobs change drastically and become super involved later on which can be good or bad depending on whether the gameplay clicks with you or not. It starts off braindead MMO easy and introduces abilities far too slowly, but ends up with really fun and involved jobs. The endgame is just normal MMO treadmill stuff which I tire of fast, but I know I'll come back to it for more story eventually.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 4, 2020

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Samuringa posted:

Sun god been running a smear campaign against the moon man for a long time

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oh wow - Digimon Cyber Sleuth has a mission where you go fight three scammers. Brothers 1 and 2 are boring, but the third - they open by explaining that they're not a boy OR a girl, and they're mad at the internet for forcing them to pick one of the other. So they do scams against the internet's megacorp, swap accounts for different genders, etc. When you beat them they're furious, but you reassure them that they're the strongest of their siblings, they're a good sibling, and they deserve better. They promise to stop making trouble and walk away in a good mood.

It's - wow. I never expected to run across nonbinary rep in a jrpg, not in a million years. It's small, but so boldly stated! And no trick with "I'm actually a digimon".

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I just started Hacker's Memory. Digimon are still loving adorable

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Samuringa posted:

The Yakuza release schedule on PC is going to be so much weirder than the Ps4 at this point

I'm starting to think 3-5 aren't happening on PC. Or at least I think I'll stop waiting for it soon and just play them on PS4.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Sinteres posted:

I'm starting to think 3-5 aren't happening on PC. Or at least I think I'll stop waiting for it soon and just play them on PS4.

When's the remastered version of those come out on PS4? I'd anticipate PC 6 months after that, give or take.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

When's the remastered version of those come out on PS4? I'd anticipate PC 6 months after that, give or take.
Already did summer last year, if I'm reading this right: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0177-CUSA15325_00-YAKUZAREMASTERED

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Looks like 5 didn't hit til February, so I have until August to be vindicated. Heck, I give myself September because I deserve it + Covid. :shrug:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

ymgve posted:

Seems like they asked about FFVIII, not FFVII

:downsgun:

Welp, then pay no attention to my stupid rear end.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Givin posted:

Only thing I remember about FF8 Remaster is they put panties on Siren or something. I never got into 8 because of the draw mechanic.
Draw was really bad because it convinced a whole bunch of people that the best way to get magic was sit in combat using the same move over and over against monsters when it was actually the worst way possible.

The Junction system was really cool though because if you knew what you were doing you could break the game faster and harder than ever before.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Ghostlight posted:

Draw was really bad because it convinced a whole bunch of people that the best way to get magic was sit in combat using the same move over and over against monsters when it was actually the worst way possible.

The Junction system was really cool though because if you knew what you were doing you could break the game faster and harder than ever before.

diabolos enc none and triple triad all day erryday and then refining and juncioning the results

ff8 is so good

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

drat Dirty Ape posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39j5v8jlndM

Link to the cutscene showing the event for those curious. Song is by Nobuo Uematsu.

I believe this actually played for everyone when they pulled the plug on 1.0, which is pretty cool.

edit: I bounced off of FF14 years ago HARD. I tried it years later and I ended up liking it. I do agree with the poster that said the 'tutorial stuff' goes on way too long. Also, some jobs change drastically and become super involved later on which can be good or bad depending on whether the gameplay clicks with you or not. It starts off braindead MMO easy and introduces abilities far too slowly, but ends up with really fun and involved jobs. The endgame is just normal MMO treadmill stuff which I tire of fast, but I know I'll come back to it for more story eventually.

That video is a pretty much 100% accurate representation of how the game is played.

Bunch of rando dudes go up against a big bad. Big bad shits fire and death all over the field to where one pixel is safe to stand in and everything looks impossible and bleak and all of a sudden one all star out of the group does something amazing and drags the entire raid across the finish line.

Then the poo poo tank who died and has to be ressed 5 times gets all the coms and everyone leaves.

GOTY forever and despite all it's flaws, it is my favorite MMORPG. It's not for everyone and I respect that for sure.

I'm running through Zodiac Age right now but I think I'll pick up 8 again and give it a fair shot. Thought about doing it with the 13 trilogy but I just can't hang with the combat for whatever reason despite loving the slow plod of 12s and how different it is from the classics. The paradigm shift stuff confused the hell out of me and I just don't like any of the characters there.

Givin fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 4, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

FF8 is a grade-A example of how to not do level scaling. The sheer distance people went to avoid leveling up in that game is mind-boggling, doubly so because by and large, the game rewarded doing so by making you proportionally that much more powerful.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ghostlight posted:

honestly if that wasn't what you were meant to do, they shouldn't have made it viable.I dunno about "best way", but if you ran into a monster with magic you needed (especially some sick new stuff) that literally boosts your stats the more you have, why wouldn't you farm it? I mean besides it being not fun, but we all know the grind

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
That's his point, that there are more efficient means of getting that magic but by putting draw right on the battle menu it made everyone think that's what you're supposed to do. The actual problem is one layer deeper though, they shouldn't have made bigger stacks of spells give more stats in the first place.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
In the bigger scheme of things drawing repeatedly wasnt even a super burdensome grind. Like in under five minutes you'd be at 100 stacks of whatever most of the time. (That raises even more questions about the design ofc.)

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

StrixNebulosa posted:

:shrug: I have the thread bookmarked but don't have much to say yet that isn't more useful here, where my commentary might convince someone to check it out.

it did, by the way.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

baka kaba posted:

honestly if that wasn't what you were meant to do, they shouldn't have made it viable.I dunno about "best way", but if you ran into a monster with magic you needed (especially some sick new stuff) that literally boosts your stats the more you have, why wouldn't you farm it? I mean besides it being not fun, but we all know the grind
It has to be viable because it's supposed to be your most basic way of finding new magic and a fallback for stocking them. The issue is the game tricks the player into thinking this is intended to be the main way to get and stockpile magic by the way it presents it in a tutorial alongside the introduction to the magic system.
Why wouldn't you farm it? Exactly. The main reason is because it's really boring and grinds (lol) the game's pace to a crawl every time you find a new magic in the wild, and the reason for that is because the game actually wants the main method for magic gain to be mastering the Refine system to churn through all the items you get from other more satisfying activities like playing cards or checking on your chocobo tamagotchi.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Samuringa posted:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghostlight posted:

Why wouldn't you farm it? Exactly. The main reason is because it's really boring and grinds (lol) the game's pace to a crawl every time you find a new magic in the wild, and the reason for that is because the game actually wants the main method for magic gain to be mastering the Refine system to churn through all the items you get from other more satisfying activities like playing cards or checking on your chocobo tamagotchi.

The problem is the game jams farming it in your face and does a poo poo job of showing how useful the refine system is, so without a guide you’re going to mostly think you’ve just gotta farm.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Final Fantasy 8 rewards exploration and experimentation in a way that very few big name games do, but it does so by hiding a lot of the backstory and mechanics. It would be much better received if it were much more straightforward.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gomi Day posted:

it did, by the way.

yessss :toot:

The best things I've played this sale have to be Ace Combat 7, Digimon Cyber Sleuth, and Umineko. There are other good things (katamari!) but those three have been perfect for me in very different ways and I highly highly recommend y'all look at them.

This is unfair to Unheard, Lobotomy Corporation, and a few other things but sadly I haven't broken the habit of picking up things I won't play immediately. I've gotten better, but I'm not there yet...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zereth posted:

Having played 2 but not 1... A vast improvement to reach the lofty heights of "Okay I guess"? Wow, 1 must have been awful.

It was. The art was beautiful, but the combat was ploddy and the dialogue and plot were like six year old child level.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Finally reached the part where Hacker's Memory reintroduces Jimiken :allears:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

thanks to the goons who convinced me to jump into EDF 5 last night. Just played a few missions in it and it looks so much more like a 2012 game than a 2005 game like 4.1
A UI skin and modern textures really do make a lot of difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Disinterested with the recent crop of MP shooters, I reinstalled Battlefield 4 the other day and it's still fun and populated, ended up playing a bunch of Hardcore and regular Rush last night and today.

BC2 and BF3 were perfect and BF4 was pretty rough at first but I think ultimately it ended up being the last really stellar game in the series before it really went whole-hog on all the COD live service user exploitation and cornball "gun painted gold" poo poo in BF1 and BF5. The only real attempts to recapture that era of gameplay which I've seen pop up are WW3 (dead playerbase, game has apparently been sold to the Russian MMO company Mail.RU/My.Games which is a Korean-MMO tier company so RIP!) by Farm51, and '83 by the Rising Storm 2 devs (which admittedly will likely be more on the Red Orchestra/BF Hardcore mode side of things), so it's good to know you can at least go play the original instead.

e: I wasn't totally destroyed by an army of terminators instantly headshotting everything that moves with FLIR-scoped sniper rifles so either some of my skills remain after like 3 years of not playing it or it's still got a reasonable spread of players.

C.M. Kruger fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 5, 2020