Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I know after growing up reading webcomics, I'm quite reluctant to pick up a new serialized one unless the author has a history of finishing projects or moves it along fairly fast- I've invested my time and energy into reading so many that just never finished or stopped. No hard feelings to the authors, webcomics are usually a side gig or hobby and people move on, but it's really hard to start reading something unfinished that I know will take years to tell it's story, or likely never finish. That doesn't mean you need to not write a serialized work, but there may be a segment of readers, similar to me, who are really hard to convince to pick up a slow burn story comic, regardless of quality and it's not a judgement on your comic.

Also it sucks to feel like you are putting a creative labor of love out into the void, my sympathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah. For example, I don't regret my time reading Cucumber Quest, but I don't think I would start reading it if I knew it would peter out 2/3 of the way through, even knowing how much fun it was along the way.

Comics that updated every MWF like clockwork are the ones that managed to keep going to a planned resolution, whether that took 3 years or 12. That's not to say that I'm happy with something consistent-but-mediocre. But it's super reassuring to know that, say, Gunnerkrigg Court will probably be completed. It has the update schedule that Dr. McNinja kept as opposed to Broodhollow. I strongly miss both of those, but missing Broodhollow has a lot more disappointment mixed in, y'know?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

capitaldelendaest posted:

I know after growing up reading webcomics, I'm quite reluctant to pick up a new serialized one unless the author has a history of finishing projects or moves it along fairly fast- I've invested my time and energy into reading so many that just never finished or stopped. No hard feelings to the authors, webcomics are usually a side gig or hobby and people move on, but it's really hard to start reading something unfinished that I know will take years to tell it's story, or likely never finish. That doesn't mean you need to not write a serialized work, but there may be a segment of readers, similar to me, who are really hard to convince to pick up a slow burn story comic, regardless of quality and it's not a judgement on your comic.

Also it sucks to feel like you are putting a creative labor of love out into the void, my sympathy.

More people should really do serial shorts, it's a format that you can kinda pick up or drop as time allows and still expect to get some kind of satisfactorily completed work out of it. I feel like at some point there was a terrible transition from 90% of webcomics being basically Garfield if Garfield was one of two couchbound gamers to 90% of webcomics being the permanently on-hiatus expository prelude to somebody's 1200000-page epic about a world... where videogames are real life

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 4, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The ability to tell a story and keep it short is a skill all on its own. A lot of webcomics try to kick off a big long epic with no real plans to ever bring it to a close, which means stopping abruptly whenever their enthusiasm for the project runs dry. It's much safer to do a gag-a-day webcomic that could plausibly be stopped at any time, but when narratives start leaking into the jokes, all bets are off.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
don't start with a 500 page comic that's my recommendation

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I think someone might be trying to deceptively soft reboot comicsgate on webcomic host website comicfury

starting here

I'm not real sure where to bring that up at, but it's on a webcomic site and I found out about it because I make webcomics, so

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Operant posted:

don't start with a 500 page comic that's my recommendation

poo poo

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
gonna emergency retool ADS into gag-a-day i guess

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I think someone might be trying to deceptively soft reboot comicsgate on webcomic host website comicfury

starting here

I'm not real sure where to bring that up at, but it's on a webcomic site and I found out about it because I make webcomics, so

I can barely parse this dude’s posts

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
your comic should be 7000 pages minimum and you should redraw old pages you dislike and you should work by candlelight applying gold leaf to the pages in a monastery in southern france

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

fun hater posted:

your comic should be 7000 pages minimum and you should redraw old pages you dislike and you should work by candlelight applying gold leaf to the pages in a monastery in southern france

Start a kickstarter to fund your monastery move, and make sure to promise expansive backer rewards!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tenebrais posted:

Start a kickstarter to fund your monastery move, and make sure to promise expansive backer rewards!

Especially t-shirts. Lots of t-shirts. T-shirts at every level!

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Tenebrais posted:

I want cheese and beer.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SlothfulCobra posted:

The ability to tell a story and keep it short is a skill all on its own.

I'd suggest to pretend it's a print comic and you have to keep your story in self-contained chapters of 64 pages maximum -- aim for 32 or 48.

I figure the way to do that is to thumbnail the comic with super-rough stick figures, then prune relentlessly through that draft until you get it under the page quota. Then you can start drawing for real.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

fun hater posted:

I'm a pretty big fan of Geoff Jacques' QUEFTIONABLE CONTENT when the priest reads it for us when mass is over on Sundays.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

fun hater posted:

Some of those monastery illustrations are loving wild, you might be onto something here.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hostile V posted:

I'm a pretty big fan of Geoff Jacques' QUEFTIONABLE CONTENT when the priest reads it for us when mass is over on Sundays.

Long shall I remember the Parable of the Second Faye.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

3 posted:

Hey, we’ve seen the magic you work with deadlines and prompts and such.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

3 posted:

You could go the other way and keep expanding the scope and eventually try to turn it into an animated series.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cat Mattress posted:

I'd suggest to pretend it's a print comic and you have to keep your story in self-contained chapters of 64 pages maximum -- aim for 32 or 48.

I figure the way to do that is to thumbnail the comic with super-rough stick figures, then prune relentlessly through that draft until you get it under the page quota. Then you can start drawing for real.

A good strategy because by the time you start drawing for real you already gave up and moved on 39 pages ago, sparing the world from yet another abandoned webcomic

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cup Runneth Over posted:

A good strategy because by the time you start drawing for real you already gave up and moved on 39 pages ago, sparing the world from yet another abandoned webcomic

Some of my favourite stuff on Tapas are either the “here’s a featured webcomic with like a billion likes and is super popular... oh it updated twice 4 years ago and its author dropped off the face of the internet” or “here’s a comic with a really colourful and good looking header image that draws your eye and makes you want to read it... aaaand it’s basically just black and white stick figures on empty panel pages, you have wasted everyone’s time and should have just wrote a book instead” type comics.

That place is LOADED with them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sleepless Domain: Really don't think excluding Cassidy is going to help matters. She already thinks they're conspiring against her, making her right probably isn't going to be good for the dynamic. Even if she totally deserves it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Tenebrais posted:

Sleepless Domain: Really don't think excluding Cassidy is going to help matters. She already thinks they're conspiring against her, making her right probably isn't going to be good for the dynamic. Even if she totally deserves it.

Rather depends on whether or not Cassidy survives the night. She's alone, distracted, and Goopy already decided that her problem is that "there are too many magical girls." I'd say Cass's chances to make it to 2am is fifty-fifty at best.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A fifty/fifty chance isn't half bad when there's two of you.

Arbitrarily keeping secrets from the paranoid who's willing to hurt people to find out the truth doesn't seem like a great idea.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Letting the abusive paranoid maniac into your support group is a much worse idea though.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

this chapter's secret title is The Problem With Cassidy

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

rannum posted:

this chapter's secret title is We Need to Talk About Cassidy

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Tenebrais posted:

oh no, it's absolutely not going to help matters, and I can't wait

:getin:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Every magical girl protagonist needs a dark magical girl antagonist she can blame herself for creating (even/especially when it's not actually her fault). Cassidy is gonna flip poo poo, and it's gonna be great.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Sleepless Domain, Monster Pulse, and Never Satisfied seem to have decided it's time for drama all at once. Bad times for everyone! :dance:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Sleepless Domain, Monster Pulse, and Never Satisfied seem to have decided it's time for drama all at once. Bad times for everyone! :dance:

I appreciate that Ray has been sufficient redeemed away from "weird creep" down to "hopless flirt", at the very least. Nancy doesn't come up with plans beyond "smash poo poo and scream," so whatever she's cooking up has gotta be a doozy. Also speaking of creepy, Bina has kind of ominously stopped acknowledging Abel and is speaking directly to Rixis like Abel's just an afterthought now.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

nine-gear crow posted:

I appreciate that Ray has been sufficient redeemed away from "weird creep" down to "hopless flirt", at the very least. Nancy doesn't come up with plans beyond "smash poo poo and scream," so whatever she's cooking up has gotta be a doozy. Also speaking of creepy, Bina has kind of ominously stopped acknowledging Abel and is speaking directly to Rixis like Abel's just an afterthought now.
It makes some sense in that you wouldn't speak to Rixis when you want Abel to do something, and Binayo should be giving equal weight to monsters and hosts now even subconsciously. That's the best-case interpretation.

She definitely is no longer expending mental energy trying to not be creepy right now, though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If Cass isn't within earshot I'd be surprised and I will eat my hat that I definately have if she doesn't jump them having gone full Stan.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nah, I reckon they're going to officially form a team together. Then Cass will see how their relationship has developed and get mad.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Hah even HP's eyes have little hearts in them.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I very much appreciate how Devil's Candy is allowing this chapter's protagonist to remember that she has absolutely no stake in this conflict except pleasing people who dumped their problems on her, and just walk away.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's one heck of a caboose on that new dress Agatha's got in Girl Genius.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
She is super into Udine

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Julius CSAR posted:

She is super into Udine

"I see. So that was your type."
"Can we not talk about that right now?"

e. Now with proper links

second e.:

"So... Do you think you like her?"
"It's only been a few days! Jeez!"

Kokoro is 100% a disaster lesbian and I'm here for this :allears:

Mikl fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Shows how far out of touch I was with Girl Genius. I thought the little smoke knight girl was dead when I last read. Time for an archive binge.