Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Volmarias posted:

"We're doing that right now :smuggo:"

It scared me how natural that was for someone who was not the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

lifg posted:

I don’t have an ending to this rant. My boss is a brilliant programmer and architect, but really shouldn’t be anywhere near management or project management or any of it.

People get confused when I tell them that I am a career engineer and never ever ever ever want to become a people leader. This is why. I did babby project management for half a year and not only did I have a significant amount to do with the project failing, I spend the entire time stressed out of my goddamn mind.

Just let me be Person Who Makes Technical Decisions And Is Otherwise One Of The More Competent Engineers and go away

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Same here. Why anyone would want to be responsible for multiple people’s careers and workload on top of their own is beyond me.

At the moment I don’t even want to be a senior engineer again, because I had enough of seeing other people ignore my suggestions/explanations, cause a problem, and then tell me it’s my fault because I was meant to be the adult in the room. Being punished when other people get it wrong is incredibly stressful and builds up so much resentment on all sides. I don’t like telling people what to do. Now I get to shrug and do whatever dumb thing I’m told if I don’t feel like arguing - not on my head be it. It feels a little weird to see people who I consider less experienced/skilled than me getting titles like “senior architect” while I’ve dropped from lead back to “software developer”, but the tradeoff is worth it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't think anyone ever really intends to start managing people in this line of work. There's just that weird thing where everyone seems to go "Oh, you're good at programming, so I'm going to promote you into this managerial, non-programming role."

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Part of the reason I left my last job was because I got promoted into management and I hated it. I don't want to be in more meetings and I'm certainly not comfortable being anybody's boss. I'm happy to do mentoring and stuff but I don't want to sit down with someone and build personal goals with them or whatever.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

Just let me be Person Who Makes Technical Decisions And Is Otherwise One Of The More Competent Engineers and go away

Exact same here. Fortunately, leadership here is cool with that.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the reason why senior tech people end up going into management is that, aside from tech focused companies in silicon valley, management is the only track to getting paid the big bucks

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

We don't have anything like project managers around here so yeah basically the best developer on every team spends 50% of their time doing non-development work

On the other hand I work with a few people who are frankly not good at development at all, but are generally eager, hardworking, and organized and would honestly be better at project management tasks than me but they spend 100% of their time doing development

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

management is the only track to getting paid the big bucks

At some point, your ability to write code as a single IC maxes out, no matter how good it is or how much you can write in a single day, and being able to say you lead n coders on a successful project carries more value, whether you really enabled that success or not.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

On the other hand, you can avoid management by becoming a speaker, inspiring n engineers by giving good talks internally and at conferences and tweeting about development values, and get distinguished/fellow/consultant positions

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

What matters is convincing the manager class to hand you enormous bags of money in relation to the success of people who are not you.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
yes that's very well put

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the reason why senior tech people end up going into management is that, aside from tech focused companies in silicon valley, management is the only track to getting paid the big bucks

That is why I’m doing it right now...

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
My old advisor liked to highlight the absurdity of the situation by comparing it to rewarding a surgeon that reaches the pinnacle of his skilled profession by giving him a desk job where he will never touch another knife again.

But as already said: a skilled engineer/programmer cannot scale. You can, however, get into a technical lead track where at least you can put your insights to good use.

Looking at the senior PEs in my hierarchy, they really struggle to keep up with any technical work, with everything being essentially back-to-back meetings 60 hours a week.

I have mixed feelings about such a technical track leadership position, because there is a huge difference between knowing a technology through reading and knowing it because you actually had hands-on playtime with it. If you don't have the time to keep up with the practical aspects, you're being set up for a Peter Principle; not through promotion, but through the time dimension.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Smugworth posted:

What matters is convincing the manager class to hand you enormous bags of money in relation to the success of people who are not you.

I'm gonna frame and hang this one up.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

Maybe I’m just not ambitious enough but when being a regular joe programmer is enough to get you into the top 5%+ of earners (in the UK at least), I don’t see the point in scrambling to be in the top 3 or 2 percent by pivoting into talking or managing if you don’t enjoy either of those things.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Maybe I’m just not ambitious enough but when being a regular joe programmer is enough to get you into the top 5%+ of earners (in the UK at least), I don’t see the point in scrambling to be in the top 3 or 2 percent by pivoting into talking or managing if you don’t enjoy either of those things.

but how will i validate my worth as a human if number not go up?????

I definitely agree that value as an individual contributor doesn't scale past a certain point, but I also think that you can have a leader who is not a manager. You don't have to be in charge of a team to give the value of your experience to one - I hadn't heard of "Staff Engineer" before my current workplace put me on that track. I'm not sure what the case is for other places (having only worked at 3 at this point) but I think having what is effectively a full-time consultant on hand is a good idea if you've got more than a single team.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Yeah I make more than enough money as is, I still can't believe I get paid to be on my computer all day. Why would I want to mess that up?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i assume that, due to the underlying ageism in this industry, you cannot simply become a solid and experienced IC, and will need to go into people and/or technical management sooner or later to avoid being marginalised?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm just going to do the Steve Buscemi "how do you do fellow kids" thing

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

redleader posted:

i assume that, due to the underlying ageism in this industry, you cannot simply become a solid and experienced IC, and will need to go into people and/or technical management sooner or later to avoid being marginalised?

Ageism isn't as big a problem outside of Silicon Valley as it is in it. It's still a problem, but it's not a complete dealbreaker at older established companies outside of tech as it is in those circles.

The bigger problem is that the marginal value of a year of development experience flattens out pretty hard somewhere around 15 years, and it's really hard to justify the sort of salary you'd want for your experience unless you're bringing something really special to the table.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
yeah, but at that stage you're earning pretty decent computer toucher dollars, so you can just aim for reasonable compensation and take CoL bumps

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

redleader posted:

ageism isn't really that big a deal in my experience. not keeping up with trends and tech is really harmful to your career tho. always be learning

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
unless you work in embedded in which case you can go your entire career knowing nothing but C

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

the talent deficit posted:

ageism isn't really that big a deal in my experience. not keeping up with trends and tech is really harmful to your career tho. always be learning

Which becomes harder and harder as you get older and have more duties and expectations outside of work. Weird.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Gildiss posted:

Which becomes harder and harder as you get older and have more duties and expectations outside of work. Weird.

You can do all you need by stealing 15 minutes a day from work for some directed learning.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

lifg posted:

You can do all you need by stealing 15 minutes a day from work for some directed learning.

IMO this isn't stealing and should be built into your weekly work hours

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Gildiss posted:

so do it at work

the reason changing jobs every 18 months is optimal isn't just for the money (tho this is a really good reason); it's also so you can constantly be learning new things from new people. if you're in like year seven of working on the same rails application you're already hosed but otherwise you can just go get a new job using hot new things and you're good

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The IC track at tech companies still involves more people and less typing code as you go up. It just keeps the focus much more on technical guidance than administrative things.

AFAICT the ageism in the industry is strongly correlated with dumb bullshit jobs and often comes down to that someone with 20 years of experience isn't going to believe you when you try to convince them that your fart app is going to change the world and can't spend half an hour genuinely expounding on how much they love the javascript framework du jour even if they like it and know how to use it. With the current job market it's not a big deal because you don't want those jobs anyway, but it could become one if jobs dry up and you have to settle for something to pay the bills.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

the talent deficit posted:

assertions like this should come along with an age and the oldest dev you've worked with

well gosh there's no problems up thru my mid 40's, what could possibly happen beyond that point

qsvui posted:

unless you work in embedded in which case you can go your entire career knowing nothing but C
:rolleyes:

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

JawnV6 posted:

assertions like this should come along with an age and the oldest dev you've worked with

well gosh there's no problems up thru my mid 40's, what could possibly happen beyond that point

I’ve worked with programmers in their fifties or sixties (I don’t ask) in literally every job I’ve had over the last 15 years, except at that 2-person web dev company. But I’m not in Silicon Valley or at a FAANG.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Beef posted:

My old advisor liked to highlight the absurdity of the situation by comparing it to rewarding a surgeon that reaches the pinnacle of his skilled profession by giving him a desk job where he will never touch another knife again.

How many surgeries do you think a Chief of Surgery is doing on a weekly basis? It's the nature of meritocracies.

My personal input is I went to the management track to have a larger effect over the projects that I work on. I saw too many good projects fail because of decisions outside my power. So I sought to increase my power so now if they fail it's on me and not in spite of me.

Over time I learned how critically important personal development is of your people, but I'll be lying if I said I had that empathy when I first started.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

lifg posted:

I’ve worked with programmers in their fifties or sixties (I don’t ask) in literally every job I’ve had over the last 15 years, except at that 2-person web dev company. But I’m not in Silicon Valley or at a FAANG.

I really only have two jobs to look at, and my old job had plenty of older guys working there. I think I saw two retirements at my stay there. I don't think I have anything bad to say about their programming skills or anything, though they both did like to talk your ear off if you'd let 'em.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Hughlander posted:

Over time I learned how critically important personal development is of your people, but I'll be lying if I said I had that empathy when I first started.

How do you develop people? What even is personal development? I can’t say I ever got any useful goals or advice from a manager, and my experience has been that good programmers continue being good and bad programmers rarely improve. The whole management and development thing is, as far as I understand, really just a necessary bit of paperwork so when you want to fire someone you can say you tried to help them.

Also do any of you guys have to do peer reviews to appraise each other? loving awful idea. Yeah let’s make everyone on the team write personal comments about each other, this couldnt possibly go wrong :downs:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you don't think personal development is important you're going to be in the "bad programmer" (or perhaps the "crusty dude stuck maintaining some legacy system that nobody likes working with") bucket at some point.

Personally I've found the feedback received from my peers to be really helpful, both in pointing out areas to improve and affirming stuff that I do well. While the best feedback comes from outside the formal systems, having a mechanism that prompts people to actually give their peers feedback is pretty useful to make that actually happen.

Stack ranking can go to hell though.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Also do any of you guys have to do peer reviews to appraise each other? loving awful idea. Yeah let’s make everyone on the team write personal comments about each other, this couldnt possibly go wrong :downs:

I had this in my old company and it was incredible useful. I learnt a lot about myself via anonymous, mandatory peer reviews. It made me realise that I'm actually drat good at my job and gave me the confidence to take my career into my own hands.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Jabor posted:

the "crusty dude stuck maintaining some legacy system that nobody likes working with"

This sounds pretty great to me honestly. Job security (well, you’ll have plenty of notice before they manage to replace it), probably well-enough paid since nobody else wants to do it, nobody else bothering me, working on something that’s actively used and not a pie-in-the-sky rewrite that will take years to complete... I AM a crusty old dude at heart

vv yeah this. It’s useless or hostile. It’s like some kind of prisoner’s dilemma. If you’re the only one who writes negative feedback you look like a dick. If everyone writes positive feedback it’s all useless, except maybe to the insecure new grad who needs a boost. If everyone writes negative feedback and you don’t, you look naive/stupid. If anyone writes negative feedback it’ll end up being used against you. People obviously write nicer feedback about Bob who goes to the bar with them after work than about Alice who doesn’t. Its just a nightmare.

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 6, 2020

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The first company I worked at did a ton of layoffs that used what people had gotten in their reviews, so I never say anything bad in peer reviews.

cyka blyat
Sep 12, 2018

1999. What appeared to be a harmless meteorite crashing in the Nevada desert has turned out to be Darc Seed, an evil alien creature with horrible powers. By shooting strange magnetic rays, Darc Seed had turned the helpless nation into zombies and had brought the Statue of Liberty to life to do his dirty work. These rays had also given him control over many deadly weapons, but none were more powerful than the legendary samurai sword, Shura. When the great head of the samurai, Namakubi, heard that the sword had fallen into evil hands, he set off immediately for the United States. For only he possessed the strength and knowledge needed to recapture the magical sword and free the U.S. from the evil clutches of Darc Seed.

Protocol7 posted:

I really only have two jobs to look at, and my old job had plenty of older guys working there. I think I saw two retirements at my stay there. I don't think I have anything bad to say about their programming skills or anything, though they both did like to talk your ear off if you'd let 'em.

I love the olds at my company. They're incredibly helpful to help find out issues in legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

y'all need to find some less toxic companies, peer review is great if your workplace isn't a toxic hellhole.