Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

That was great, don't feel bad if you have to do that again. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

TeeQueue posted:

We gave them a broom and had them alternate between cleaning the room and beating the abnormality with it.
If that doesn't express the essence of this game, I don't what does.

But really, this isn't what I expected from this. The name made me think that it would be some kind of "funny" Whatever Tycoon game with no personality, so I never looked at it more closely, but this is fairly involved so far.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Oh holy crap. Thanks very much for the gold thread, everyone!

e: And the new avatar, apparently.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Oh would help if I could read haha

Also that update... superb. Love that. Angela and the manager talking among themselves during the entire thing was my favourite part.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Absolutely phenomenal update.

Also this LP interested me enough I actually went and bought the game on Steam, so here's to another instance of LP ambassadorship!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TeeQueue posted:

Oh holy crap. Thanks very much for the gold thread, everyone!

e: And the new avatar, apparently.

Though the lp has only just started it has already been a lot of fun so you definitely deserve it.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Mechanics Talk 3: Movement Speed and Other Lies

Today, we're going to deep dive into the stats themselves and how they work. At this point you're probably familiar enough with a basic agent statblock, like this:

Fortitude and Prudence are simple, they translate directly to max HP and max SP.

The other four stats, Work success, Work Speed, Attack Speed, and Movement Speed, are stats that the game uses to figure out how quickly and well your Agent does various tasks around the facility.

I haven't shown it yet, but we can hover the mouse over any of the lower four stats. When we do, it gives us a little box like these:

I haven't shown these off because they are not any use at all. For Attack Speed and Move Speed, it shows each point as being worth 0.2% faster atk/move speed, while the Work Success/Speed it gains 1% for every 5 points in the stat. This is a dirty lie in almost all cases, so we're going to show off how things are calculated under the hood.

We'll start with Movement Speed, one of the most important stats in the game since in Lobotomy Corporation being able to run like hell is an invaluable talent. Movement Speed is calculated as:

code:
4 + (movement speed) / 25
I multiply all results by 10 when giving speed numbers both because I prefer round numbers and because the wiki I pulled the speed information off of did the same, so if you want to know what something's speed is in the code itself, just put a decimal before the last number from here on. Anyways, as we can see an Agent starts with 40 speed, and gains another 10 every time they get 25 Movement Speed. As a result, the game will tell us at 25 Justice that we've gained +5% move speed, but the reality is that we've gained 25% movement speed, going from 40 to 50. See what I mean by it lying? An agent at 100 Justice is actually moving twice as fast as an agent at 0 Justice would, but the game only tells us that we've gained 20%!

Attack Speed works in a similar way. Every weapon attack in the game has a set animation which takes a specific amount of time. That animation is then run at a specific speed, with the equation being:

code:
0.8 + (Attack speed)/ 143
To simplify, a 0 Attack Speed agent attacks by playing the attack animation at 80% of its normal speed. By 29 Justice they've progressed to 100% of the normal speed, a gain of 25%-much more than the 5.8% the game tells us about.

But wait, there's more! Because the weapon animations are set things, the Very Slow/Slow/Medium/Fast/Very Fast that we've seen next to the weapons are not ever actually referenced anywhere in the code-they're just there to give the manager a general idea how quick a weapon probably is.

But wait! There's more! On top of that, many of the high end weapons have unique animations which do not call this code-meaning that they don't use Attack Speed at all. For a lot of really powerful weapons, this stat may as well not exist. I'll try to call these out as we get them.

Next, we'll cover Work Speed. An Agent's speed of working an Abnormality is based on this formula:

code:
(abnormality base work speed) * (1 + ((observation bonus) + (work speed)) / 100)
One Sin has a work speed of 0.3 and an observation bonus of 10, so plugging that in there an agent with 30 Temperance would wind up having a total work speed of 0.3*1.4, for a total of 0.42. If we raise that to 50, we instead get 0.48. This is a 12.5% increase from 20 points of boost, again much higher than the 4% difference the game would tell us it gave.

On a related note, the total work time equals (total # of boxes)/(work speed), gotten from the above equation. This has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but now I don't have to mention it later. :v:

Finally, there's Work Success. Every 5 points of Work Success adds exactly 1% to the odds of an Agent getting a success on each box. Changes of less than 5 do nothing, they only matter in those 5 point increments. Work Success is completely accurate. Work success chance is calculated by first adding all bonuses, then checking that they don't go over 95%, then applying any penalties that may be present, before rolling for success. This means two things: that penalties are a major pain because they permanently lower the best possible chance of success, and that we always have at least a 5% chance of failing. :rolldice:

So in review, most of the stat popups actively misinform the manager about how much their stat is actually contributing. :pseudo:

This all comes back to one big question: 'But in that case, why did they add those extra boxes at all?'

The answer is: 'Hell if I know. Welcome to Lobotomy Corporation, this game is a mess and I love it.'

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 28, 2021

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I noticed the discrepancy, but figured it was the result of the lovely translation.

Huh. That's... simultaneously really loving complex and has fairly straightforward results.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Blame Malkuth, its either in her notes somewhere to fix that, or in her notes somewhere to make sure it stays that way.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Now that I'm going through the game due to the LP ambassadorship I'm almost sad it's being LPed by someone competent who knows what they're doing, as they likely won't suffer from the crazy difficulty spikes the game throws at you. So much death...

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 4, 2020

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Psst, we haven't covered those yet. :ssh:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

That's why I was intentionally super vague!

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The OP posted:

Spoiler Policy
No spoilers, even in spoiler tags.

This would include intentionally super-vague stuff. If it hasn't come up in the thread, please don't bring it up yet in any form of vagueness.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Okay, okay, you're the boss. Edited it out.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Day 4: Story

Music: story 2

If not, this recent news will likely change your mind. After your arrival, the rate of energy output has increased by 13%. If you still don’t feel the significance of this figure, then let me add that it’s a record breaking percentage.

>I can take pride in that.

This means you are performing your role well. This shows that there should only be good news to come. A machine such as myself doesn’t flatter easily.

I remember your face the very first time you came here. You were so withdrawn… Face all gray and grim. And you were all nervous about my presence. Don’t worry, it’s okay for you to be happy now.

Ahh heck, she knows we're expecting her to try to kill us.

---

>I'm not sure…

Is it not normal to be happy in a situation like this? For your information, I had practically run here. All just to deliver this great news to you. That’s a figure of speech of course, but I did not expect you to react like this.

---

Routes Merge Here

Do you see that bottle of champagne on the table? Allow me to pour you a glass. Shall we toast? Ah, today’s occasion is not something as monumental as someone’s birthday, or the company’s day of founding.

I'm sorry, what.

It is just as it sounds. An employee has died in the line of duty.

When did this happen?! Everyone's still alive!

During maintenance, a wrench was dropped onto this clerk, designated Delta3. She did not survive the impact.

Man… she was the one who brought the good coffee.

This entire conversation shows up regardless of if someone has actually died or not. Don't worry, we haven't actually lost anyone important yet. :ssh:

They had known the risks from the beginning. The company grows, fertilized by their sacrifices. It’s as simple as that. I am sure they would have felt proud of themselves as they took their final breath. Accepting their deaths with equanimity would be the greatest respect you can pay to them. That is why I popped this bottle of champagne I’ve kept for so long.

>I'll drink the champagne.

To properly drink a glass of champagne, one should gently hold the lower stem of the glass, and then take it in lightly, savoring the bubbles. Perfect, just like that.

---

>I don't want to drink right now.

That’s fine, there will be many more occasions on which to toast. However, manager, please refrain from drinking alone when I’m not around. A toast is only worthy when there’s a companion around to clink glasses together.

---

Routes Merge Here

In summary: Apparently we are very good at our job, because efficiency is up! However, someone died yesterday and the corporate culture is such that we just drink to their memory without enacting any safety protocols. Angela's memory apparently has room for proper drinking etiquette, but not for the definition of spirit.

Goodbye, Delta3. You were always my favorite clerk. :sadwave:

Moving on to Malkuth's next scene, and I suspect that the game didn't expect us to clear her mission quite this soon.

Music: Danger

This is Yesod! He's the head of the Information team. We'll be meeting him properly around day 6.

Trust me, I am the head of the Information Team. Even if your team were to suppress the Ordeals on their own, there’s too great a risk of extreme mental damage to your employees.

And this is Hod! She's the head of the Training team. We'll be meeting her on day 11.

See what I mean about this scene probably being intended to come later? I don't think they expected me to just grind out 8 meltdown works on day 3.

I am the Sephirah of the Control Team. I may make outrageous mistakes in all other aspects, but this role I know better than anyone else. I know how to handle employees on the verge of insanity. I even wrote down a code of conduct for it.

Please tell me if you happen to need it. I can always share a copy with you.

I— I’m fine, but that code of yours…

Weakness means elimination, the death of your place in my department. To work for the Control Team, the department that leads the corporation, signifies that you should be more capable than everyone else. Manager, please say something to them. You’ve been watching what’s happened to those weak-willed employees from the comfort of your office, haven’t you?

*hits the mute button* Yeah, I've been here three days, I'm not touching this one.

We should meet up again sometime, all of us Upper Sephirot!

The mental corruption levels of the Control Team’s employees exceeded the maximum threshold. And just what did the other Sephirot do in the meantime? Sit and watch? The Control Team has failed to handle the Ordeals. Supplement the staff immediately and suppress the Ordeals. I will ask for support from the other departments.

Angela… we don't have any other departments, and the agents are just fine.

Then this will have to wait until we can. I believe four more departments' worth should suffice. As to the agents… I included Malkuth herself in the employee mental corruption level calculations. Does this clarify?

...Ah. Carry on.

In summary: :stare: H'okay, a lot to unpack here. Malkuth is really big on just disposing of Agents who don't meet standards, so much so that it unsettles her fellow Sephirot. She's also acting like a patronizing jerk. There's stuff about Ordeals here, too, which ties into our new mission! I lost the original screenshot along with the day 3 gameplay footage, but I pulled all the text from the files directly, so here it is:

When Dusk Falls posted:

As the Qliphoth Deterrence weakens, the Abnormalities will begin to grow agitated; certain things we call Ordeals which we cannot contain will go into a rampage, just as they are right now. Could you calm down the employees by suppressing one of the Ordeals that show up at dusk? I’ll help you with it as soon as I can.
Complete a Dusk Ordeal

Now, Ordeals are that thing Malkuth was talking about earlier, the strange beings that come into existence in the hallways every now and again. They show up as you go through the day, and their power levels vary based on the time of day associated with the Ordeal. In order, they are Dawn>Noon>Dusk>Midnight.

Dusk Ordeals do not appear until at least day 21, so it'll be a while before we can get back to this mission. That means we're free to do whatever we want for the next couple of days!

Next time, on Lobotomy Corporation: Mirrors! New titles! I finally explain what 'PE' box stands for!

R.I.P, Delta3
Day 1-Day 3
Clerk, background character, coffee-maker
"She totally appeared on screen one time."

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 28, 2021

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

In other news, the retranslation has been officially patched into the game.

So I guess this is just a normal Let's Play now?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

:stonk:
Malkuth needs a chill pill or two.

Btw, if we have the tech to make human-like AI androids, why do we even need the stupid human employees?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Regallion posted:

Btw, if we have the tech to make human-like AI androids, why do we even need the stupid human employees?

Who would you rather send to a horrifying death: an android that is probably expensive as all hell, or some poor schmuck you picked up off the street?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Regallion posted:

Would you trust Malkuth to safely handle the terrifying abominations?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Would you trust Malkuth to safely handle the terrifying abominations?

I would probably trust Angela or the other 2, so y'know. They seem to be on the up-and-up

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Regallion posted:

It's not fun for a large corporation unless their operation causes massive human misery.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Androids are expensive to make and program, meatbag employees come for free and mostly pre-trained.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Regallion posted:

I mean, if poo poo was going bananas I'd prefer my boss to be calm and collected, so she's not wrong about the fact her team should be tuff. Still. :thunk:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The energy we get from cthulhu abnormalities is called enkephalin. Like almost everything in this game, that's a real world. Enkephalins are a class of opioid peptides naturally produced by the brain. So all that energy comes from the painkillers produced by cthulhu's brain.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

golden bubble posted:

The energy we get from cthulhu abnormalities is called enkephalin. Like almost everything in this game, that's a real world. Enkephalins are a class of opioid peptides naturally produced by the brain. So all that energy comes from the painkillers produced by cthulhu's brain.

I am hereby declaring this not a spoiler because it is in both the tutorial and the manual and I meant to say it like six updates ago but kept forgetting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It might also be an overlooked mistransliteration. "Encephalic" means "or or related to the head," which makes sense with the whole thing about abnormalities being drawn from the collective unconsciousness or whatever those lore notes said. Where else do you find peoples' unconscious minds if not in their heads?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

golden bubble posted:

The energy we get from cthulhu abnormalities is called enkephalin.

We've seen no abnormalites related to Cthulhu or even the Mythos in general.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's a thread title joke.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

re: getting the conversation early, I think the fact that it takes place on "Day ?" means it's intended for you to get it too early? The game's intentionally showing a conversation that is taking place at some unspecified point in the future, for reasons known only to it (and presumably to people who have finished the game).

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The game is currently 50% off on Steam for anyone who wants to play along, or experience their own wonderful failures before learning how to do things properly from the LP.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

:negative: I just bought it like 2 days ago! Goddammit!

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Infinity Gaia posted:

:negative: I just bought it like 2 days ago! Goddammit!

If you hadn't played it for 2 hours, you could still get a refund to rebuy on it sale even. RIP. OTOH, do you begrudge them the money?

Also insert the picture of the Regret Hammer here.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I have been absolutely addicted to this game since I started playing, and my regret now is having played this long with the seriously awkward Google translate version all this time when a proper translation was just around the corner :(

Very much recommend it now to anyone with a passing interest. Trying to decipher the engrish was almost an additional unintended gameplay challenge that almost fit in with the game, but I would prefer if it was just vague but in proper english in that case.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Cardiovorax posted:

Where else do you find peoples' unconscious minds if not in their heads?

Peripheral nervous tissue, adrenal glands, intestinal serotonin spammers, reproductive whatnots? Mitochondria lol. So many options, but if the collective human unconscious is supposed to be nebulously defined and work as some kind of decentralized ad-hoc network that just randomly connects people to one another's nightmares I'm just gonna authoritatively declare it can be found in the goatse.

Prove me wrong :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

silentsnack posted:

reproductive whatnots?
Hey, if you want to public declare that you think with your dick, I'm not gonna judge you. :v:

Okay, I will a little.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

Jeez, I always thought Malkuth was a happy go lucky try-harder with an extreme inferiority complex in the old translated version. Which, she is in this one too, but WAY more intense about both her flaws and how hard she tries to do well at her job. Just a shame that involves murdering people who get upset when they see a man with eight faces and a mirror for a torso!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Cardiovorax posted:

Hey, if you want to public declare that you think with your dick, I'm not gonna judge you. :v:

Okay, I will a little.

I don't, so we're cool; unless you don't wanna be, for whatever reason.

But either way, if one is to search for an infinite source of Stupid Energy Molecules then considering the immense array of ridiculous stuff people do when acting on horny impulses would not be the most counter-intuitive way to start re-deriving the idea of 'chakra' or whatever.

Or you might end up becoming a game modder. That's always a hazard.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

silentsnack posted:

But either way, if one is to search for an infinite source of Stupid Energy Molecules then considering the immense array of ridiculous stuff people do when acting on horny impulses would not be the most counter-intuitive way to start re-deriving the idea of 'chakra' or whatever.

Or you might end up becoming a game modder. That's always a hazard.
It wouldn't be the weirdest thing I've seen esoteric types do when it comes to connecting Tantric whatsit and the crazy Kabbalah that Western occultists like to go on about.

I don't know if that's better or worse than the modders, honestly.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Look, odds are if you're an occultist you have trouble getting laid and you try to solve one of your problems with the other one. This is one of the major forces in the entire history of occultism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Should've refreshed before posting. :v: