Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Mr. Carlisle posted:

At least our brain issues won't cause us to murder

speak for yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Daivari was trying to keep up with the squats; that wasn't a bullying story.

The was a different story that sometimes got conflated with it, though. The way I heard it at the time was that Benoit was in for the day at Deep South and said he was going to lead a workout to start things off, beginning with a round of Hindu/hack/free squats. (Not the absurd number Benoit had conditioned himself to be able to do that Daivari had trouble keeping up with, either.) Then Matt Striker piped in and this happened:

Striker: "Hey Chris...the *vets* don't have to do the squats, right?"
Benoit: "*I'm* doing the squats."

Cue Striker being kicked out of the locker room and forced to dress in the hallway.

When the stories would get conflated, that would somehow result in the story going around being "Striker mouthed off and Benoit made him do squats until he pissed out destroyed muscle fibers." But that didn't happen, at least as far as I know.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/poopsyJ/status/1257152731464241153

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Smoking Crow posted:

whoa hitler only had one ball???

Goering had two but very small
Himmler had something similar
And Goebbels had no balls at all

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
As somebody who's had a lot of concussions I can confidently say I've never had the desire to murder a lady and kid, and the handwavey "oh he had a lot of concussions so clearly his mashed potato brains are why he was a murderous lunatic" is just really lovely

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Eat My Fuc posted:

I honestly believe the Eddie, Benoit relationship was romantic and that maybe Nancy found out. Benoit is a piece of poo poo murdering bastard who deserves no accolades for anything he ever did, and if he and Eddie were involved that had nothing to do with the fact that he was a murdering, evil monster. There's just a lot about their relationship and Benoit's reaction to his death that to me bring to mind how people react upon losing their long time spouse. Maybe I am being ignorant about the potential of platonic relationships between cis men, but I have just always felt this way and the dark side of the ring documentary only made it seem more likely to me that this was the case.

Either way there is no defense for what Benoit did, and I find it strange people want to die on that hill. I loved him as a kid and the killing really damaged my worldview even more so than an event like 9/11, and the idea he should be in the hall of fame even a hall of fame already full of monsters like Trump, Snuka, etc is absurd.

Have you ever lost someone close to you unexpectedly? A very close friend of mine died in a plane crash when I was in my early 20s and Benoit's reaction to Eddie's death is the most normal thing about him.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Lamuella posted:

Goering had two but very small
Himmler had something similar
And Goebbels had no balls at all

This was so close to being AC/DC’s “Big Balls” perfectly repurposed to make fun of Nazis

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
Benoit was Gilgamesh, and Eddie was his Enkidu

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Seth Rollins posted:

Benoit was Gilgamesh, and Eddie was his Enkidu

Benoit had powerful Angra Mainyu energy imho

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I believe Benoit's CTE was a contributing factor in what he did. Was it the decisive factor? Probably not. Absolutely doesn't absolve him either.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I've heard a lot of Benoit conspiracy theories but for some reason "Benoit and Eddie were secretly a couple" is a new one to me

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Benne posted:

I've heard a lot of Benoit conspiracy theories but for some reason "Benoit and Eddie were secretly a couple" is a new one to me

Two men can't be very close friends without them being gay and having sex with each other apparently.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Benne posted:

Eat My Fuc gonna Eat My Fuc

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Benne posted:

It is, ironically enough, the straightest of takes

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Seams posted:

Two men can't be very close friends without them being gay and having sex with each other apparently.

EMF is a fujoshi, but for Benoit

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think that exact take was posted in the twitter thread a while ago and I am disappointed that Eat my Fuc isn't even getting their hot takes from outside the forum.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think that exact take was posted in the twitter thread a while ago and I am disappointed that Eat my Fuc isn't even getting their hot takes from outside the forum.

I mean at least they posted it in the right thread :shrug:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Seams posted:

I believe Benoit's CTE was a contributing factor in what he did. Was it the decisive factor? Probably not. Absolutely doesn't absolve him either.
I heard a psychiatrist explain it pretty well at the time. Benoit likely had both an untreated mental illness and was probably a spousal abuser already, but years of brain injuries on top of that took away his natural ability to filter out the differences between right and wrong, or fantasy and reality; things he probably already struggled with. So he probably took something too far, whether he was in his right mind or not, but then whatever internal mechanism would've stopped him from going further otherwise just didn't kick in. I don't think he was of sound mind, but he wasn't taking care of the problems that led up to it either.

I feel pretty bad for David Benoit. He looks just like his dad, which is reason enough for most promotions to want to distance themselves from him permanently, and there's really nothing he can do about it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

I heard a psychiatrist explain it pretty well at the time. Benoit likely had both an untreated mental illness and was probably a spousal abuser already, but years of brain injuries on top of that took away his natural ability to filter out the differences between right and wrong, or fantasy and reality; things he probably already struggled with. So he probably took something too far, whether he was in his right mind or not, but then whatever internal mechanism would've stopped him from going further otherwise just didn't kick in. I don't think he was of sound mind, but he wasn't taking care of the problems that led up to it either.

I feel pretty bad for David Benoit. He looks just like his dad, which is reason enough for most promotions to want to distance themselves from him permanently, and there's really nothing he can do about it.

He did choose Chris Benoit Jr. as his wrestling name, though. I understand he still cares about his pre-murder dad but that's not helping his cause. He's extremely awkward in interviews even when not discussing his dad so he's already got an uphill battle.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

david's not really into the training part of becoming a wrestler, which you kinda have to do if you want to be a paid wrestler in most cases. given his father's insane work ethic towards wrestling that's not really a bad thing to be honest.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

He did choose Chris Benoit Jr. as his wrestling name, though. I understand he still cares about his pre-murder dad but that's not helping his cause. He's extremely awkward in interviews even when not discussing his dad so he's already got an uphill battle.

Yeah, I guess he is/was struggling with the whole "my dad killed two people, including my half-brother," which would be a pretty heavy thing for anyone to have to deal with, but yeah, when you announce you intend to wrestle as "Chris Benoit Jr," it's almost like you're daring most promotions to hire you.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 4, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm amazed that the surviving Von Erichs didn't all become CPAs or something. Wrestling families are weird.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I feel like he will be one of the prime examples of just because your dad was good at something doesn't mean you will be

In interviews he seems just awkward and confused about where he wants to go in life so he was like "well, my dad was one of the best at wrestling so I guess I'll do that". He said he's doing oil field work and making good money doing that and I understand wanting to get out of a job like that but wrestling isn't exactly safer - especially if you're awkward in the ring. Being someone's son can take you anywhere or nowhere.

Take Cody Hall for example. Inherited amazing genetics and connections from his father but cant physically stop himself from loving up and being a dipshit at every turn burning every bridge.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 4, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
David Benoit has attempted training half a dozen times, shows up for a couple months at best, then gets upset nobody wants to book him and quits for a year or two. He's still basically an untrained rookie despite his age and how long it's been since he first started "training"

Outside of the reason nobody wants to book "Chris Benoit Jr" who also uses his dad's trunks and theme, he hasn't actually completed training at all.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah you could tell even in the Chris Van Vliet interview that he was half assing the entire thing about having a passion for it and he himself didn't even believe he wanted to be a wrestler which is tough because CVV interviews usually make anyone look good they're basically softballs for a half hour

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Benne posted:

The way that I've seen it argued has been a bunch of people who watched the Dark Side episodes with their wives/girlfriends, who were all like "Whoa, were they a couple?" Specifically over things like Chris crawling into Eddy and Vickie's marital bed to hug Eddy's pillow while sobbing. That he came off more like a widow.

I don't agree, but I see where they're coming from, I guess

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

davidbix posted:

The way that I've seen it argued has been a bunch of people who watched the Dark Side episodes with their wives/girlfriends, who were all like "Whoa, were they a couple?" Specifically over things like Chris crawling into Eddy and Vickie's marital bed to hug Eddy's pillow while sobbing. That he came off more like a widow.

I don't agree, but I see where they're coming from, I guess

This is exactly what happened with me and my partner, he suggested it and it made sense to me.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The SO's of a couple of RBR Podcast hosts came to the same conclusion, my girlfriend came to that conclusion, and my friend's girlfriend came to that conclusion so the general consensus I've seen is anyone who doesn't watch a lot of wrestling jump to that conclusion.

I'm not going to comment one way or the other on the relationship between two dead men but Benoit definitely had a lot of issues outside of concussions, he was probably loving weird way before any brain injuries started popping up

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

David Benoit should just insist he’s Viscera’s kid and get like really angry about it if people ask.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

coconono posted:

David Benoit should just insist he’s Viscera’s kid and get like really angry about it if people ask.

Promoter: You're Viscera's kid?
David: Yes.
Promoter: And you go by the name...
David: Chris Benoit Jr. What's the issue here?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

It’s too bad Dark Side didn’t cover that Eddie wasn’t the only very close friend of Benoit that died in a relatively short amount of time. They mentioned that Johnny Grunge was trying to keep Benoit calm when he was losing it, but I don’t think they mentioned that he died less than a year after Eddie. And there was another former wrestler who was working as NJPW office at the time whose name escapes me.

I get that they were trying to portray a narrative, but his intense grief for Eddie was no doubt compounded by the loss of other people he cared about. I think it would have changed the tone and less people would have come away with the Benoit/Eddie were secret lovers theory.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Big Bidness posted:

It’s too bad Dark Side didn’t cover that Eddie wasn’t the only very close friend of Benoit that died in a relatively short amount of time. They mentioned that Johnny Grunge was trying to keep Benoit calm when he was losing it, but I don’t think they mentioned that he died less than a year after Eddie. And there was another former wrestler who was working as NJPW office at the time whose name escapes me.

Was it biff wellington didn't he die around this time?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

Promoter: You're Viscera's kid?
David: Yes.
Promoter: And you go by the name...
David: Chris Benoit Jr. What's the issue here?

See? Problem solved.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Big Bidness posted:

I get that they were trying to portray a narrative, but his intense grief for Eddie was no doubt compounded by the loss of other people he cared about. I think it would have changed the tone and less people would have come away with the Benoit/Eddie were secret lovers theory.
This is probably the biggest weakness with the documentary: The constant state of grief Chris was in (and to an extent Nancy) being blown the gently caress up in short order:

* Eddy Guerrero, his BFF, dies on November 13, 2005.
* Victor "Black Cat" Mar, his best friend on NJPW tours since he started in the dojo in 1986, died on January 28, 2006.
* Mike "Johnny Grunge" Durham, his best neighborhood friend, who served as his pressure valve during arguments with Nancy, dies on February 16, 2006.

That's just an absurd level of grief to go through even before you factor in that, even by wrestling standards, he was surrounded by an unusual amount of premature death, from Brian Pillman and Owen Hart to Larry Cameron and Lance Idol, among others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

The Croc posted:

Was it biff wellington didn't he die around this time?
The news broke within hours of Chris killing himself. Meltzer emailed him about it not knowing he was already dead.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

coconono posted:

I do that at buffets all along the Eastern seaboard

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Vince Russo's latest show is entitled "Proof That The Beatles Didn't Write/Play Their Own Songs"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3AV-kPhZ2I

Good to see he's branching out.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

Vince Russo's latest show is entitled "Proof That The Beatles Didn't Write/Play Their Own Songs"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3AV-kPhZ2I

Good to see he's branching out.

And once again Russo misses the point that the Beatles only did it when it mattered. Of course everyone and their fuckin brother wanted to play with the beatles. I can't remember how many times I heard that bullshit hippie story told over a campfire in exchange for a beer.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I like Ringo. That's my beatle thought

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

You know the Beach Boys didn't play on Pet Sounds

Plz subscribe to my YouTube channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005