Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

How did they determine the cause of the damage?

Hail and wind damage are pretty obvious. Tree damage even more so. Dating a roof to a 5-10 year period is certainly possible by inspecting a sampling of the shingles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

Hail and wind damage are pretty obvious. Tree damage even more so. Dating a roof to a 5-10 year period is certainly possible by inspecting a sampling of the shingles.

I guess, how do they tell what's due to wind/hail damage versus what's due to the age of the roof making it worse?

Do I have to pay for my new roof?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 4, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I guess, how do they tell what's due to wind/hail damage versus what's due to the age of the roof making it worse?

As I understand it, if the entire roof needs to be replaced due to damage it's often prorated by how long it's been in service vs. it's remaining expected lifespan. So no, it's not a free lunch.

Florida has some wacky conventions around this and may be an outlier in general. I'm talking about things I've heard happening around our area.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Ya I’m not sure how other states work but at least here in Florida I’m only going to be on the hook for the deductible I mentioned and the insurance foots the rest. I guess especially here in Florida it’s in the insurance companies best interest to have a good roof over their investment.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I saved a few bucks by changing my home insurance to an actual value policy, and in the very next year my roof was hail damaged and had to be replaced. They reimbursed 2/3 of the roof value, since the existing roof was 10 years old with a 30 year warranty, and then none of the other costs associated, and less my deductible. The adjuster on the phone was so gentle about it and I was like yeah I know I was gambling and lost so what's the first offer here. Obviously check your policy to see what it says, you likely have a full reroof paid for less a deductible. From the insurance point of view a new roof is protecting the asset best, and they can't go buy you a partially used roof so it's generally covered in full. You may get bit on the costs if the new building code requires upgrades. On mine it was Ice and Watershield for the first 4 feet at the perimeter that my city requires and was not part of the existing roof.

For the record my thoughts on the insurance ACV policy was "I've gone 8 years with no claim I bet I'll get two more then I move, and if I get hit, it's a ranch at 1000sf and I bet I can afford it." and I did, but it was not money well saved, it was about $50 a month cheaper and cost me $4800.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

StormDrain posted:

I saved a few bucks by changing my home insurance to an actual value policy, and in the very next year my roof was hail damaged and had to be replaced. They reimbursed 2/3 of the roof value, since the existing roof was 10 years old with a 30 year warranty, and then none of the other costs associated, and less my deductible. The adjuster on the phone was so gentle about it and I was like yeah I know I was gambling and lost so what's the first offer here. Obviously check your policy to see what it says, you likely have a full reroof paid for less a deductible. From the insurance point of view a new roof is protecting the asset best, and they can't go buy you a partially used roof so it's generally covered in full. You may get bit on the costs if the new building code requires upgrades. On mine it was Ice and Watershield for the first 4 feet at the perimeter that my city requires and was not part of the existing roof.

For the record my thoughts on the insurance ACV policy was "I've gone 8 years with no claim I bet I'll get two more then I move, and if I get hit, it's a ranch at 1000sf and I bet I can afford it." and I did, but it was not money well saved, it was about $50 a month cheaper and cost me $4800.

Everyone read this, and learn an important lesson. Cash value policies are poo poo, get replacement cost. The risk of ruin is too high, unless it's some insane cost difference in your premium (and it usually isn't). Not to mention, getting a new roof on insurance's dime because there was a hail storm is one of the few times the common person gets over on insurance.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

81sidewinder posted:

Everyone read this, and learn an important lesson. Cash value policies are poo poo, get replacement cost. The risk of ruin is too high, unless it's some insane cost difference in your premium (and it usually isn't). Not to mention, getting a new roof on insurance's dime because there was a hail storm is one of the few times the common person gets over on insurance.

How do I make sure my insurance isn’t bad?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Anyone had experiences hiring concrete contractors? I need my driveway completely redone and haven't the slightest idea where to begin other than to get concrete given the climate.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Dearest wife decided to climb on top of the counter right on the part over the dishwasher. The counter ceded by about a third of an inch. The counter is still level and looks fine, so it might just be some settling street whatever work the previous owners handy man did. Or it might be that the whole thing is about to collapse. Called the good handyman over, so I'll find out next week...

More and more it looks like the money we saved for the stuff we wanted to do is going to go to the stuff we need to do. Still a bargain given the price we paid, but i just want the surprises to be done.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

This is a good question!

My MIL got in a wreck recently and was payin $250+/mo for total coverage, but because nobody else was involved she wasn't covered, wrote off a ~$16,000 car she'd been paying oodles of money to insure each month and got great big goose egg payout. She had either gold plated comprehensive or collision, but not both, and the one that didn't cover her situation

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

joepinetree posted:

Dearest wife decided to climb on top of the counter right on the part over the dishwasher. The counter ceded by about a third of an inch. The counter is still level and looks fine, so it might just be some settling street whatever work the previous owners handy man did. Or it might be that the whole thing is about to collapse. Called the good handyman over, so I'll find out next week...

More and more it looks like the money we saved for the stuff we wanted to do is going to go to the stuff we need to do. Still a bargain given the price we paid, but i just want the surprises to be done.

Welcome to home ownership, owned this house for a month and keep finding things that I go and write down on the fix this poo poo eventually once I can make runs to Lowe's on the regular. And a list of fix this poo poo sooner rather than later.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

joepinetree posted:

On a related note, is consumer reports testing worth anything? I've been looking for any sort of concrete data on this and they claim to have it, but behind a paywall.

This isn't relevant to your particular post anymore but my local library has the past 3 years of all CR magazines and books available to browse through. If you have a library card, check that out first!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

tater_salad posted:

Welcome to home ownership, owned this house for a month and keep finding things that I go and write down on the fix this poo poo eventually once I can make runs to Lowe's on the regular. And a list of fix this poo poo sooner rather than later.

Im in an area where prices have been going up pretty dramatically, and, given expanding universities, people relocating from the NE and etc., it is likely to continue for a while, so buying makes sense. But god drat it's annoying. At least it's a condo, so there's only so much that could need to be fixed...

FCKGW posted:

This isn't relevant to your particular post anymore but my local library has the past 3 years of all CR magazines and books available to browse through. If you have a library card, check that out first!

Thanks. I ended up paying for the yearly membership (was buying washer, dryed, dishwasher, wall oven, what's 40 bucks in that scenario). Which means that if anyone needs CR test results for a particular appliance, hit me up!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

The guy from the roofing company went up on the roof and looked around, and took photos. In our case, there had been a hail storm in the area the month prior, and he was looking for business. He’d also been around this area long enough that he knew the builders in this area had used shingles that were EoL early due to whatever failures, so most insurance companies just replaced the whole roof. He’d also worked with enough companies to have an idea of how well they’d respond, and often who the adjuster was. State Farm was good to me, my neighbor had to argue with his company a few times over the years, but the storm last year was finally bad enough to redo the whole thing.

I can give you his contact info and you can have him look it over, you’re down by the Mainline, yeah?

Also funny is that they use the same estimating software as almost all insurance companies, so there’s remarkably little variance in estimated cost. :P

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Alarbus posted:

The guy from the roofing company went up on the roof and looked around, and took photos. In our case, there had been a hail storm in the area the month prior, and he was looking for business. He’d also been around this area long enough that he knew the builders in this area had used shingles that were EoL early due to whatever failures, so most insurance companies just replaced the whole roof. He’d also worked with enough companies to have an idea of how well they’d respond, and often who the adjuster was. State Farm was good to me, my neighbor had to argue with his company a few times over the years, but the storm last year was finally bad enough to redo the whole thing.

This was my exact experience too. If you start seeing a bunch of your neighbors get new roofs you can probably get one too!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Alarbus posted:

I can give you his contact info and you can have him look it over, you’re down by the Mainline, yeah?

Also funny is that they use the same estimating software as almost all insurance companies, so there’s remarkably little variance in estimated cost. :P

Hey man, yeah, that'd be great. Thank you!

I think I'm at the point where yeah, a new roof would be great, but it's not the end of the world if we replace it next year (or probably even two years), and who knows if we'll need that 15k or whatever?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

joepinetree posted:

(was buying washer, dryed, dishwasher, wall oven, what's 40 bucks in that scenario).

Not a stove top also? Because typically the when you're buying wall ovens and a stovetop the dishwasher is free (when you're staying in the brand). If you can stay in brand for all of that plus the washer/dryer it would seem you should be able to get a killer deal.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Residency Evil posted:

Read your policy. If you're not able to understand it, call the agent.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Motronic posted:

Not a stove top also? Because typically the when you're buying wall ovens and a stovetop the dishwasher is free (when you're staying in the brand). If you can stay in brand for all of that plus the washer/dryer it would seem you should be able to get a killer deal.

We ended up getting killer deals regardless, and since the stovetop was working just fine we just let it go.

Like, the samsung 24 inch washer and dryer (vented) list for over 1k each, are "on sale" at home depot for a little under 1k each, and I bought the pair, plus the stacking kicks, hoses, etc for 1200.

The wall oven had a list price of 1400 bucks (and was selling for that much at home depot) and we got it for 800.

Right now, some places are dying to unload inventory and doing crazy deals on stuff. It's just that what they are trying to get rid of varies from place to place.

Dishwasher was the only one we didn't get a great deal on. But that is because Bosch is tighter with their price controls. But had we gone with Bosch for everything, their 27 inch oven is a lot more expensive and very poorly reviewed, same with their washer and dryer.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 5, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

the only thing people aren't dying to sell is chest freezers.. in the US pretty much everyone is 2-6 months backordered

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

tater_salad posted:

the only thing people aren't dying to sell is chest freezers.. in the US pretty much everyone is 2-6 months backordered

Oh yeah. We considered getting rid of ours six months ago and I'm extremely glad we didn't. Will be Christmas before you can buy another one.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

joepinetree posted:

We ended up getting killer deals regardless, and since the stovetop was working just fine we just let it go.

That's not a deal, that's just the standard discount :)

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

ntan1 posted:

That's not a deal, that's just the standard discount :)

Literally no other shops around me or online had similar deals so :shrug:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

81sidewinder posted:

On top of this, ACV gives the adjusters reason to start digging into the numbers on your claim versus just paying replacement cost and calling it a day. Adjusters on personal lines are almost always looking to close claims ASAP.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Oh no. I found the PERFECT, ideal house that hit all the buttons I wanted and some I didn’t know I had.

Too bad I moved into another one four months ago that’s great but ... it’s getting more eccentric by the day.

On the upside I now have three mulberry trees and am getting downright fat off backyard food.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone know how to find a good air conditioner and installer for a townhouse condo in Los Angeles? My natural instinct is to go to Costco but I wanted to see if there’s anything better

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone know how to find a good air conditioner and installer for a townhouse condo in Los Angeles? My natural instinct is to go to Costco but I wanted to see if there’s anything better

That's a big area, especially if you mean county. Where are you actually located? Mid city? West side? Hollywood? East side? Valley?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
North hollywood

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Costco/Lennox in my area (Central Coast) is not the cheapest, but most of my quotes seemed very high. Ranging from $7000 for Airtemp 3 ton Seer 14 to $12000 for Trane 2.5 ton SEER 14. Costco Lennox fell in at $8000 (after costco rebates) for Seer 16 4ton. I called about 10 places, 7 answered or returned calls, 4 bid, 1 wasn't interested in the job, 1 wasn't available for bids and 1 I passed on but may still have come out for another bid. I'd probably go with the Trane install if I could get them down to $8000, otherwise it will probably be Costco/Lennox.

There is an HVAC thread in DIY https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761260&pagenumber=38#lastpost

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Bobcats posted:

Oh no. I found the PERFECT, ideal house that hit all the buttons I wanted and some I didn’t know I had.

Too bad I moved into another one four months ago that’s great but ... it’s getting more eccentric by the day.

On the upside I now have three mulberry trees and am getting downright fat off backyard food.

A week after I bought my house I made sure to unsubscribe from Zillow, Redfin, etc.

I feel better after having done so.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I just put my house into Mint so it periodically checks the redfin estimated value, without having to actually see the other houses I might have missed out on.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Just a heads up, due to the whole lockdown thing a lot of HVAC installers and getting slammed with commercial jobs that are taking advantage of empty offices. Installers are in high demand so it may be hard/expensive to get a bid for your smaller job right now.

My HVAC buddy is overbidding on jobs just so he doesn't have to do them but they keep biting on them anyways.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I woke up last night and went to the bathroom and heard the sound of running water when nothing was on. I wandered around the house for awhile and couldn't find anything leaking. Since it was 5AM, I just turned off the water and went back to bed.

This morning I start investigating more and there's nothing leaking *in* the house, but the supply lines for the house pointlessly go underneath the slab for about 10 feet. The only thing I can think of is it's leaking under there.

Luckily, there's a path from where the water comes into the house to where I can connect to the existing plumbing that's all utility space, so it's fairly straightforward to reroute the pipes and abandon the crap that's in the slab.

Pretty much since day one of owning this house, whenever we've turned the water off for a few days and turned it back on, we always ended up with small amounts of air in the pipes. Is this normal? I'm thinking we have probably had a pinhole leak for ages and it just got big enough to be heard now.

Underslab leak would definitely explain some things. We've had mysterious humidity issues that somewhat improved when we got the (also underslab) ducts coated in sealant. We've also had issues with silverfish living underneath the slab and coming up into the bathroom.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

I want to replace an old structural beam without getting a permit.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Get a permit to do some other work that is sort of tangential, and then hide the structural beam from the inspector when he shows up. Then, when it's final, it's as if you got the permit!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Steve Yun posted:

Probably not the cheapest way, but I just went got a couple quotes from a few long time family owned places. Ended up with a couple carrier quotes and a lennox quote. The super-local company who donates a ton of my poo poo to everything in my town was competitive, so I went with them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Say what's this elaborate structure covered in tarps doing over here? Is there a structural beam hiding under there?

Oh it's just decorative? Well okay

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

street doc posted:

I want to replace an old structural beam without getting a permit.

Like for like often doesn't require permitting.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

gvibes posted:

The super-local company who donates a ton of my poo poo to everything in my town was competitive, so I went with them.

What does this mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Inner Light posted:

What does this mean?
The closest place was right in the town I live in. They donate to all the town events, like the summer carnivals and poo poo like that.