Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

3D World levels all have the cool endings where a Pow block chain reactions to destroy a bunch of bricks and leave a pattern or word intact.

Is there anything similar that could be done in Mario 3 style?

Only thing I can think of is a field of bricks where a p switch spells out the word and then a pow makes all the coins fall down?

I tried using electric Mecha to carve something out but that wasn't working well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just uploaded my newest level:

Elec Man - FLL 3V2 HRG

I like how it turned out. Btw, do not worry about the second fire flower. It is gettable, but it is a bitch and a half to get. There was a big energy there in Mega Man that is just as much as a pain in the rear end, so I leave that there as tribute.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Suspicious Cook posted:

In my submission, Roy is playing with power by bringing all these Zappa Mechakoopas to the Mushroom Kingdom! Drop him out of the sky like lightning in:

Galvanizing Galleon
KXN-STB-CRF

I accidentally knocked one of the mechakoopa off the rails by stomping them before activating the switch.

Palmtree Panic posted:

Squirrely Skewer Spire

KDB-M3G-BDG

Become one with the squirrel suit & climb the spire. Don't get skewered on the way up! Who knew that squirrels can climb conveyor belts.

I'm not exactly sure what the difference between the squirrel cling and the wall grab is, but the automatic lifting behavior is a cool mechanic.

Maxxim posted:

I saw the new update and felt like making a level.

Lemmy's Laser Lair 9XQ-X7Q-6WG

I planned for it to be on the harder side of things, but I don't really know where it ended up difficulty wise. It's much easier for me to tell when it's straight platforming.

I was unable to beat it. So very hard, but clearly not kaizo level, all of the threats are clearly broadcasted. Using the analog stick is unworkable though given how tight the movement is, you have to use the direction buttons.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1256977793168048129

Deadline is the 11PM EST on the 8th.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am continuing on my Mega Man theme

Ice Man - K6R 7F8 HJG

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Been a while since I posted here. I've been working on a few the past months and essentially redid 2 of them completely after the update. Hopefully they turned out pretty well.

Lava Lift - QPK-CX4-WQG
I've honestly been working on this one since the Master Sword update. But after the Koopalings were added I knew exactly what to replace the boss with, (though it did take forever to get him to stop jumping off the platform)

Fiery Fortress - BF2-44V-8VF
This is something of a sequel to a similarly themed level I made in Mario Maker 1. I like to believe this one has an overall better design and flow than the old one.

Flight Through the Mecha Fortress - TV1-DYR-YBG
This one was me screwing around with the night castle theme before the update hit. After that I started throwing in all the new stuff to see what would stick. It's thankfully no longer the insane hodgepodge it was a week ago. I originally put a higher focus on the Frog Suit here, but I eventually removed it from the main part of the level and made it a bonus for finding the red coins.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I am continuing on my Mega Man theme

Ice Man - K6R 7F8 HJG

This was fun. I especially liked the two sections with alternating blocks--that definitely seemed a lot like Mega Man. What Mega Man enemy does the big Boom Boom represent? I never got very far in Mega Man 1 (Mega Man 2 is great, though).

I played your Elec Man stage too, but I found it a little frustrating. The floor ghosts on the tiny platforms were difficult to avoid, and some of the single-platform jumps were a bit too stressful. Where appropriate, I'd recommend aiming to capture the spirit of Mega Man rather than the exactness of the levels. The Ice Man level was a definite improvement.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That guy at the end is called a Big Eye, they're at the the end of just about every Mega Man 1 stage except Bomb Man and Fire Man

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That guy at the end is called a Big Eye, they're at the the end of just about every Mega Man 1 stage except Bomb Man and Fire Man

Ah, cool. Mega Man 2 was my jam. I also have a vague recollection of playing a Mega Man game on the PC when I was a kid, and now I'm wondering if I played the apparently-awful DOS Mega Man game.

SilverSupernova posted:

Been a while since I posted here. I've been working on a few the past months and essentially redid 2 of them completely after the update. Hopefully they turned out pretty well.

Lava Lift - QPK-CX4-WQG
I've honestly been working on this one since the Master Sword update. But after the Koopalings were added I knew exactly what to replace the boss with, (though it did take forever to get him to stop jumping off the platform)

Fiery Fortress - BF2-44V-8VF
This is something of a sequel to a similarly themed level I made in Mario Maker 1. I like to believe this one has an overall better design and flow than the old one.

Flight Through the Mecha Fortress - TV1-DYR-YBG
This one was me screwing around with the night castle theme before the update hit. After that I started throwing in all the new stuff to see what would stick. It's thankfully no longer the insane hodgepodge it was a week ago. I originally put a higher focus on the Frog Suit here, but I eventually removed it from the main part of the level and made it a bonus for finding the red coins.

Nice levels. I especially liked the section in Fiery Fortress where you have to jump accross a several burners in quick succession. It was just the right amount of challenge.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Revised/remade my ghost house. Still offers a bit of a challenge, with the same basic puzzle layout as my earlier ghost house.

Ghosts in Galoomba Gardens
F2V-CFJ-95G

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Level list for tonight's stream at 5 PM PDT/8 PM EDT

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

1. Squirrely Skewer Spike
By: Palmtree Panic KDB-M3G-BDG

2. Mask Mayhem
By: ThisIsACoolGuy SJ6-1F3-GQG

3. Frog-suit Frolics
By: Orange Crush Rush QRB-38Y-7YF

4. Sinister Skyway
By: Tonberi 50W-MDT-JQG

5. Molehill Out of a Mountain
By: John Wick of Dogs GRG-LHH-G1H

6. Frozen Assets
By: Suspicious Cook 3FL-3DQ-Y6G

7. Hillside Invasion
By: Punk Rebel Ecks YXW-MQM-MTG

8. Fryin' Up
By: Gnome Enthusiast D4R-Y44-PWG

9. Micro 3D Finale
By: Phantasium TG7-BFP-35G

10. Gold Grabbin' Underground:
By: And More WMK-VPR-PFG

11. 1-1 but bouncy
By: Moose on the Loose FVG-YHT-MQF

12. Pokey Problems
By: Lord Hydronium 5LD-FWT-4KF

13. Lava Lift
By: SilverSupernova QPK-CX4-WQG

14. A Bowl of Clouds
By: Halbzeug MW5-WV3-YYF

15. Mario's Escape
By: Happiest Hamster 5G6-3W9-7GF

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Made a kind of quick castle level for one of my worlds:

Iggy's Wild Ride
RTH-50F-JJG

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And we're going live with some levels!

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
Big Bowser Burgh - 759-KJG-DSG - This is gonna be the last level of my upcoming world, so I crammed it with references to final stages from other Marios. Someone please tell me if doing that is bad.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Why the heck is the Frog Suit SMB3 only

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dr Pepper posted:

I feel like the answer for this for any item is usually because they didn't want to make sprites/models for all the styles.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

Big Bowser Burgh - 759-KJG-DSG - This is gonna be the last level of my upcoming world, so I crammed it with references to final stages from other Marios. Someone please tell me if doing that is bad.

Short and sweet and kept me playing, and the difficulty seemed just right for a final level. Noice one.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Dr Pepper posted:

Because that's the only game where the frog suit exists.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Mario Maker inspired me to play Super Mario Bros. 3 again. After having not played it for quite a long time, it's amazing how clearly some things come back. I've played through five worlds now, and here are some thoughts:

- The game is remarkably inventive. Big highlights so far: everything being giant in World 4 and the castle that leads to the clouds in World 5.
- Boos are fast in this game! I'd forgotten just how aggressively they come after you when you turn your back.
- The game is pretty tough.
- The levels are fairly short. Perhaps this is due to the lack of checkpoints, but these levels are shorter than most Mario Maker levels.
- Despite being short, there are a lot of levels. And since there was no save option in the NES version, you had to play it all in one sitting. Or you could just leave the NES running and turn the TV off, like I recall doing.

Anyway, it's fun so far, but tough. It's odd to go back and play this after not playing it for so long. I can go back to some NES games easily (Zelda 1 being my favorite), but this one is bringing back some pretty strong nostalgia. Also, I recall World 8 being pretty brutal, so who knows how that's going to go.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I know everyone has nostalgia for World and that's the defacto GOAT but I think SMB3 is a slightly better game just by how fresh and inventive all the levels are. Almost every level throws a new concept at you and in the span of about 45 seconds you go from learning about it to mastering it.

Truly a master class in great level design. Feels like a lot of the spirit of SMB3 went into the Galaxy games and that's why they're the best Mario games ever made.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DorianGravy posted:

- Boos are fast in this game! I'd forgotten just how aggressively they come after you when you turn your back.

Yeah, as someone who adores SMB3 and makes most of my levels in the SMB3 style, the slow Boos in Maker are a mild disgrace. They made all Boos operate under the SMW model of being "areas you can't jump towards" instead of the SMB3 ballistic missiles. I wish we had the option to make them murderous speed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Everyone in this thread who likes to make levels owes it to themselves to play through SMB3 once every 6 months or so, I know you own it, you have Nintendo online they give you SMB3 for free.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Here's the level list from tonight's stream, thank ou to everyone who hung out with us tonight!

VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/611449845

Levels played:

1. Squirrely Skewer Spike 00:37:15

2. Roys Mania Mine 01:07:15
By: ThisIsACoolGuy NST - J5K - JD

3. Frog-suit Frolics 01:16:00

4. Sinister Skyway 01:26:30

5. Molehill Out of a Mountain 01:37:30

6. Frozen Assets 01:45:15

7. Hillside Invasion 01:53:45

8. Fryin' Up 02:01:40

9. Micro 3D Finale 02:13:00

11. 1-1 but bouncy 02:32:30

12. Pokey Problems 02:51:00

13. Lava Lift 03:05:40

14. A Bowl of Clouds 03:18:00

15. Mario's Escape 03:32:30

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

In Training posted:

Yeah, as someone who adores SMB3 and makes most of my levels in the SMB3 style, the slow Boos in Maker are a mild disgrace. They made all Boos operate under the SMW model of being "areas you can't jump towards" instead of the SMB3 ballistic missiles. I wish we had the option to make them murderous speed.

That's what giving them wings is for!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

OneMoreTime posted:

Here's the level list from tonight's stream, thank ou to everyone who hung out with us tonight!

Levels played:

1. Squirrely Skewer Spike 00:37:15

2. Roys Mania Mine 01:07:15
By: ThisIsACoolGuy NST - J5K - JD

3. Frog-suit Frolics 01:16:00

4. Sinister Skyway 01:26:30

5. Molehill Out of a Mountain 01:37:30

6. Frozen Assets 01:45:15

7. Hillside Invasion 01:53:45

8. Fryin' Up 02:01:40

9. Micro 3D Finale 02:13:00

11. 1-1 but bouncy 02:32:30

12. Pokey Problems 02:51:00

13. Lava Lift 03:05:40

14. A Bowl of Clouds 03:18:00

15. Mario's Escape 03:32:30

Thanks for playing my level and giving me advice. I couldn't watch due to having class. I was worried that the way to get the key to the door wouldn't be self-explanatory.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mario styled ghosts are always my favorite hazards but MM does them dirty so they're hard to use a lot of the time.

Boos? Usually really slow, easily ignored. Even with wings they take a few seconds to 'activate' so it's easy to just glance backwards and re-freeze them
Boo rings? Fine but most people *hate* waiting for opening so it's hard not to annoy the player.
Stretch? They somehow always manage to pop up on players no matter how much you test em. If I see them in a level, the feedback is usually "can you remove Stretch."
Peeka? They're fine but literally nobody uses them or knows the exist somehow.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Accidentally put an electric mecha koopa 2 blocks above ground in the same room as a Morton and it's like the perfect hard mode.

Morton has 2 "jump to avoid" attacks and the mecha koopa adds a "don't jump or you take damage" hazard, and their timing isn't synced up, so you have to do different things to deal with it depending on when the laser is going to fire.

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

After watching OMT's stream, I've made a few changes to some stages so they're hopefully a little bit less hair pulling...

KV7-2FQ-HSF - Roy's Ravagers - Now with more P Balloons and less cannons, also it's amazing what one extra tile of space will do for you! The boss battle remains unchanged, I think it's a little easy but I made the thing..
T82-TTT-F2G - P's Cannon - Phantasium found some cheese in this stage, and that led me to find another piece of cheese and fix what I think he found. You can't fly over the P Balloon section anymore, but you can still land on the 1 pixel safe space on a land tile but outside of the saw hitbox. Also made this one a little more gentle, and added some coins to help with the cannon jumps. For the first jump, I find that waiting for a second volley of cannonballs is helpful, and then time my jump to when a certain cannonball crosses a certain line...

And a new course, as I decided that after all I don't want my super world to have a sudden cliff of difficulty, so instead it will just have a rather tall wall that you may wish for Revali's Gale for of difficulty.
3RH-9HP-0CG - Mechakoopa Surfing - I'm sure somebody much more devious than I could come up with a fun course full of traps to go along with this gimmick, but instead I decided to use it as a quick breather stage with opportunity for some more 1-ups since this world has the above two stages and another still really hard stage in it. Spin jump off of the giant mechakoopa to win, but be careful, if you do five jumps in a row too close together you'll fall through. Still, there's a reset door, so you can keep trying until you get it!

tonberi fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 5, 2020

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

OneMoreTime posted:

Levels played:

Thanks for playing my first two levels! There is unfortunately no way I can witness one of these streams live, in good conscience. It's way too late/early for my time zone.

I'm glad you liked the design work I put into the first level. It's good to know that this aspect is worth spending time on. :)

I don't really like the idea of coin collcting levels, either. It just seemed like the easiest way to encourage a little exploration. :shobon:

And More fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 5, 2020

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Haschel Cedricson posted:

That's what giving them wings is for!

This. Winged Boos are out to KILL your rear end. You'll be happy. Shame about the startup time though.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tonberi posted:

T4V-LC1-NWF - P's Cannon - Phantasium found some cheese in this stage, and that led me to find another piece of cheese and fix what I think he found. You can't fly over the P Balloon section anymore, but you can still land on the 1 pixel safe space on a land tile but outside of the saw hitbox. Also made this one a little more gentle, and added some coins to help with the cannon jumps. For the first jump, I find that waiting for a second volley of cannonballs is helpful, and then time my jump to when a certain cannonball crosses a certain line...

lol nope, cheese is still there, i just grab the first p balloon and fly back to the pipe before, and then casually float to the end of the stage.

i did manage to actually make it past that first bullet bill this time to see the anti cheese strat you added though!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Took me awhile to make this one and its hard, tense, sometimes unfair, but fun I think.

floatly like a cloud
3MP-3NS-FFG

I will admit this level can feel like bullshit sometimes. But there was something I ended up loving about it. This is the closest thing I have got to creating a Grandpoobear or really technical level. Enjoy, let me know what you think.

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.

Simiain posted:

Short and sweet and kept me playing, and the difficulty seemed just right for a final level. Noice one.

I'm glad you like it. I appreciate your appreciation. I..... enjoy that you enjoyed it.

The pacing was very deliberate and I was naturally quite worried what you all would think of that.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Spike balls are basically my favorite level element, so I made a level all about them. Not sure the final section turned out as well as I hoped, though.

Spike Ball Sprint
9J0-J14-XHF

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dr Pepper posted:

A consistent thing with all the game modes is that they only have the powerups that were in the original games, besides the new gimmick ones. Gives every mode a different set of interactions.

Am I the only one who prefers to play this game with the SNES controller? (When playing levels that this, obviously making them is another thing)

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Am I the only one who prefers to play this game with the SNES controller? (When playing levels that this, obviously making them is another thing)

I actually really like the joycon dock with this. The d-pad-buttons give me lots of fine control over the movements with zero bleedthrough into unwanted directions.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A consistent thing with all the game modes is that they only have the powerups that were in the original games, besides the new gimmick ones. Gives every mode a different set of interactions.

Yeah, I bought one specifically for this game and tetris, and it's just the right way to do it, imo.

edit: It still annoys me that they didn't put a home button on there somewhere. You basically have to go into sleep mode to switch games.

And More fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 6, 2020

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Having two 8bitdo controllers has almost completely killed my interest in the SNES remake ones.

Almost. I bet they feel reeeeaal nice.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Do people use the SA list because I think that is where I get most of my hits.

Also, 1-1 but bouncy is way more popular than I thought it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

DarkLich posted:

Heck yeah, more Mario to play!

I've put all 32 SMV levels into their 8 respective worlds, which you can access with the above code! 4G4-S5H-LRF

These are the stages I released several months back, but they're all connected now for a seamless experience. Whether you're playing for the first time, or going back to collect the challenge coins, I hope you enjoy!

As part of building the world, I noticed I had about eight slots unused. Seems like a perfect excuse to build bonus stages for each of the 8 worlds!

Any interesting combinations you've discovered with the new toys yet?

Hey, I beat your world a little while back! It was really good, with a variety of neat challenges and fun stuff throughout. It was actually a little exciting to finally approach the last castle, making it feel like a pretty cohesive game. I left some comments throughout, as Petrichor&.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wanted to make a world using every spot open to me, but I didn't want to just throw up a bunch of old unrelated levels and call it a day- so I set out to make as many new courses as I could before my creativity died out. I put Animal Crossing mostly on hold and spent a LOT of my time trying to think of fun stage layouts and now that I'm done- boy do I not suggest a creative marathon to anyone else :v:

What you're about to get is some of my old stages that I still have a soft spot for. Some new ones that tinkered with the brand new update stuff. And a whole lot of brand new classic styled levels. Difficulty is kind of sporadic but I stopped stressing about it once I was told that game overs hold absolutely no meaning- so some stages are tougher than others but hopefully they're all around the same level.

Here's my big project :shobon:

I've really been enjoying your world, too! There's lots of cool stuff in here, but it's getting tough! I might have hit my limit in level 7-2 (The Turtles of Lava Lake, 9SG-327-5PF). I gave it two whole 15-life continues, and I only twice made it as far as the part past the second checkpoint where you have to go up and then down again. Still, really cool stuff throughout.

Nice work, you two! It's fun to play longer Mario worlds, and I'd recommend both of these worlds to others in the thread.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 7, 2020