Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Do you mean the second form andromedon? Then yeah idk

I think it's as if you were shooting from the tile the shrapnel is planted. Any cover bonus = no damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Chimera is the crashiest most bug-ridden game since New Vegas.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

barkbell posted:

is chimera squad using all the same assets from xcom2?

No, they made a ton of new Human, Muton, Viper, Sectoid, Turret and Android models for the majority of the enemies. Though they do reuse the models for Codexes, Andromedons, MECs, Archons, Gatekeepers and Sectopods from XCOM 2.

Most of the setpieces likewise use entirely new assets. Hell they even did some major animation reworks on your soldiers and the main enemies compared to XCOM 2.

Like its clearly built on the same engine and they carried over a lot of the more minor enemies wholesale, but in general they did a ton of work on making new models and animations for this game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its weird how the bugginess varies. I never got multiple medkits, and the only annoying bug I had to put up with was in the last few missions, gremlins decided to move at walking speed only.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

dyzzy posted:

Do you mean the second form andromedon? Then yeah idk

I think it's as if you were shooting from the tile the shrapnel is planted. Any cover bonus = no damage

I guess it was the first form if it still had armor. I forgot that they could use cover in that form

Lunethex posted:

For real. I can see why they launched at half price. I really think they just pushed it out way early because of the pandemic, it still needs like probably months more development. Even aside from all the bugs, I think a lot of the animations and UI and other assets are janky and half-baked, even for an XCOM game.

It's a shame, because I've enjoyed it a lot, but I'm skeptical at this point that they're going to put in the amount of work that they'd need to polish it off, post release

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also worth noting that compound damage in general is pretty janky from what I've seen (via streams, I'm waiting on patches/more mods to stabilize the game). Like you'll see the first 4 damage pop on the enemy, then they'll seemingly get that health back, lose another 4 HP, then once all of the animations are done and the game state ticks forward they'll abruptly be at -8 like they should be.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its weird how the bugginess varies. I never got multiple medkits, and the only annoying bug I had to put up with was in the last few missions, gremlins decided to move at walking speed only.

yeah I had one CTD and I relaunched, reloaded save and went about my business, total lost time about 45 seconds. Obviously that was not a universal experience. I haven't seen any common thread on who gets the bugs and who doesn't, either.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah I only had the ubiquitous multiplying medikits bug, a weird one where an exploding Android proc'd Axiom's rage and he ran off the stage into the void which mostly ended up being a visual glitch and an annoying one where sometimes my agents would be hovering like a foot above ground that was purely visual.

Otherwise the game ran smoothly :shrug:

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
I went back and am playing WoTC for the first time after finishing chimera squad, and let me tell you:

the assassin gets me real mad at video games

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
The absolute worst bug I've had is this one where the game gets hung up and I have to reload during the reinforcement waves at the end of a mission, and after I reload the reinforcements just never appear. They come and go on the timeline, but the units just don't appear on the map. The first time it actually was to my advantage, because it was an evac ending, but the next time it was one of those "defeat 3 waves of reinforcements" ones, and so by the time I realized they weren't coming and the mission was never going to end, the autosaves had gone past the turn where the bug started and I just had to go back and do the whole encounter over from the beginning

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I've had the usual ones people mention (duplicating medkits, crashes on overwatch triggering from reinforcements, inconsistent behaviour of extra actions) but here's a new one to me (or at least I haven't seen it in the thread yet but also I haven't read any posts).

I've had two missions now where one of my agents had all their movement disabled for no apparent reason. The first time it was for a mission where I had to evac. After multiple rounds of seeing if it would fix itself, I just quit and reloaded and then they could move fine and I finished (I'm on Ironman so the savestate was just whatever the last autosave was). The second time it happened again, but it was in room 1/3 and when I cleared it they were fine for the next room and could move novrmally again.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I had a bug where in the final battle of the Gray Phoenix the spawning reinforcements crashed the game (as usual), and then after I loaded my save the reinforcements still wouldn't spawn but instead of crashing it let me continue playing. Except even after I killed every enemy on the field, the battle wouldn't end. Reloading again did not fix this. I was playing on Ironman so I had to restart the entire campaign. Yay.

In other news, maybe I'm missing something but what exactly is the use case for Torque's ultimate ability? Her poisonous bite does very little damage yet also has a pretty bad hit rate. When are you supposed to use it?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I just gave up for the night after two attempts at the Sacred Coil finale. Not because I failed, but because I ran into the bug people have already mentioned where if you kill the Gatekeeper with overwatch the whole mission is a failure because it's already dead before the last map where you get an actual objective to do it, and so reinforcements just spawn endlessly. On my first attempt I played through the whole thing just to confirm that it was bugged, which it was. Second attempt I got to the second encounter, and the only door Terminal could be slotted into was one that gave everyone Overwatch after breach, so she just murdered it instantly. I decided to come back later after that.

Clarste posted:

In other news, maybe I'm missing something but what exactly is the use case for Torque's ultimate ability? Her poisonous bite does very little damage yet also has a pretty bad hit rate. When are you supposed to use it?
No idea. It seems to be completely useless in every case I can come up with. Hope it gets tweaked somehow, although that's the kind of thing mods can easily fix at least.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I was on some mission in a city. I first tried to do it with a noob squad, got owned. Took a more experienced team after a reload (my best team was on CD) and it went better. My first Templar died, I dragged out my medic to evac who was bleeding out at 1hp, but managed to finish the mission. I hope I can recruit a new templar later.

Damage scaling in this game is quite impressive. My reaper does 3-4dmg with the pea shooter. Except that one chosen is vulnerable to reapers. My Reaper panicked (she was already tired from the previous mission) during that city mission, and the Chosen appeared. My reaper went into shadows while panicked and after the Chosen did her shenanigans she basically ended next to my Reaper. Well she shot the Chosen for *15* damage. With that 3-4dmg gun. :rip:

My first Avenger defense was also fun. I just got predator armor and was mining my monthly supply drop when ufo started to chase me. I barely had supplies to build the Predator armor after crash landing because of ufo EMP. I do not have any idea how the crew was able to magically produce a kit of brand new armor for every soldier when the wholw ship was basically disabled and grounded...

Well the armor saved my rear end so I'm not complaining too much.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gadzuko posted:

No idea. It seems to be completely useless in every case I can come up with. Hope it gets tweaked somehow, although that's the kind of thing mods can easily fix at least.

I feel like the obvious thing would be to let her get a free grab on the target after she bites it.

Unless she does, and I never noticed because it's literally never hit when I use it.

Souplesse
May 31, 2011

Gentlemoas.
Throwing Shrapnel Bomb at an enemy's feet and somehow getting dicked by LOS calcs has hosed me enough that I always put it a tile away now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Souplesse posted:

Throwing Shrapnel Bomb at an enemy's feet and somehow getting dicked by LOS calcs has hosed me enough that I always put it a tile away now.

You can throw the grenade directly on top of a piece of cover for the best coverage, in my experience.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I have to say I really didn't know how much I'd miss not being able to customize my guys until I couldn't. I don't care about all these named characters, let me build up my squad how I want!

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Lunethex posted:

New Vegas was a lot more stable for me on release than this.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ErKeL posted:

New Vegas was a lot more stable for me on release than this.

Same, this game crashes loads for me and I'm just glad it autosaves.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

why can't they just tell me who's shooting during the breach.. and also what utilities i brought in. i have a use a sheet of paper to keep track of what type of ammo rounds each person is carrying...

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I've had most of the reported crashes, but unique to me was, the first time I started playing the game, none of the story events (besides Calls with Kelly) were playing. No character dialogue in or out of a mission. No cutscenes. No special enemies. I had to restart after the first investigation when I realized that.

The second was a campaign corrupting crash that occurred after a mission. It would crash every single time when I received a call from the director. Fortunately, the game managed to autosave and I was able to load past it. It happened right near the end of the game for me there. I've had the game crash during reinforcement spawns, during calls, it seems there's a lot of big issues with the event system in general.

I also had two character related crashes. One time a scope equipped on my agent turned into a [][] name, and messing with it caused a crash until I completed a mission and it magically fixed itself. The second was when another character's Epic weapon gained a lot of error messages in its description text.

Unacceptable technical faults aside I think this is the future of XCOM right here, but I don't want it entirely Chimera turn-based, I want something more balanced between this and XCOM 2 itself. Not sure how to do that but it's all neat ideas here and they deserve refinement.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

TK-42-1 posted:

Reading that post made me realize what I don’t quite like about gears. I’ve only played the first couple missions and while the mechanics are ok the setting is just boring. I might care more if I played all of the gears games but even then it lacks that special kind of hammy xcom style. Same with phoenix point but that was at least adjacent but it took itself too seriously.

Chimera squad is great in setting i just wish it wouldn’t soft lock constantly and let me really get into it for a couple hours.

Cole train kinda alieviates this, but Xcom also has the cardinal sin of making me redo the same side missions several times through the campaign for no real reward, so i'm not ever going to complete it.

Clarste posted:

You can throw the grenade directly on top of a piece of cover for the best coverage, in my experience.

Last time i did that it had 4 people highlighted red and didn't get any of them. Luckily they were still ruptured.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Huh, I was really expecting some kind of Scooby-Doo reveal on that last boss. He even had a helmet on and everything, but I guess he was just another guy?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

dogstile posted:

Last time i did that it had 4 people highlighted red and didn't get any of them. Luckily they were still ruptured.

Well, there's your problem: you chose rupture instead of the thing that would have solved this.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Clarste posted:

Well, there's your problem: you chose rupture instead of the thing that would have solved this.

Hey if the LOS thing worked properly it wouldn't be an issue, buddy! :v:

Rupture lets you do more ridiculous stacking, when the grenade doesn't bug out. Rupture shrapnel into plasma nade into sticky bob means whatever is causing you a bad time is no longer causing anyone a bad time, in this life or the next.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

Huh, I was really expecting some kind of Scooby-Doo reveal on that last boss. He even had a helmet on and everything, but I guess he was just another guy?

Since nearly everyone was wearing a helmet it didn't really seem to me like he'd be doing that. I guess who could it have been and not have it require you to have played Xcom2 or just be silly?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't even remember the last boss. That's roughly how long he lasted.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its to prevent face blindness from derailing the plot further

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

dogstile posted:

I don't even remember the last boss. That's roughly how long he lasted.

I remember he had a stasis bubble thing that prevented him from dying in one turn.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Clarste posted:

I remember he had a stasis bubble thing that prevented him from dying in one turn.

Would have been more impressive if it prevented him from dying in two.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Just a heads up, if you miss the xcom2 steam sale and haven't got the game yet (ends may 07), the base game's still on humble bundle for may. Though, I don't think it has WOTC in it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Clarste posted:

I could see myself using it sometimes if I hadn't taken the grab damage upgrade, and if my gun was empty.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Clarste posted:

Yeah i saw that but the entire area around him was surrounded in acid/fire :v:

I can't remember if that killed him or if he woke up and took a potshot, but either way he died before doing anything cool. The second to last room was far tougher, imo

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Lunethex posted:

Unacceptable technical faults aside I think this is the future of XCOM right here, but I don't want it entirely Chimera turn-based, I want something more balanced between this and XCOM 2 itself. Not sure how to do that but it's all neat ideas here and they deserve refinement.

Options to affect turn order at the round start would be cool. Like stealth a character in and they get moved up. An ambushed enemy goes later.

Give some variation in the breach turn, like if you open fire immediately you go later, going for cover keeps you where you're at, and maybe another option that gives no bonuses or shots but let's you go sooner.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You're playing XCOM 3 while trying to get some research done while producing some laser rifles.

Aliens burst in through the door and out of airvents. Its their breach turn. :getin:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I do hope that they expand the breach mechanic if they do down that route again. I feel like 90% of the bonuses were pointless and really only Lead By Example was good.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I'd actually sorta like to see an interleaved turn+pod order, in which its a more diversified 'their turn, my turn with what's left' thing - like, say, you have 4-5 agents, and a pod of 2 grunts in random order and a third leader that has slightly speedier initiative that acts first.

I think that may be the way to go to make people less afraid of activating two enemy pods at once.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

TheParadigm posted:

Just a heads up, if you miss the xcom2 steam sale and haven't got the game yet (ends may 07), the base game's still on humble bundle for may. Though, I don't think it has WOTC in it.

I don't believe you can get that month's bundle anymore, just sign up for the next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I was just looking at it! This is for may 2020! https://www.humblebundle.com/subscription/may-2020/xcom2