Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Okay now that the 13 just got announced....what do I get? :V

I do coding (react, js, wordpress)
Photoshop
high res photo editing
some light video work (nothing 2 fancy)

can I get by with the $1.3k entry level 13" or should I spring for something higher?

Air unless you plan on > 1 external monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just gotta wait for them to relist the i7 Air then...seems they delisted it :v

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The i7 Air exists for reasons nobody understands anyway. It offers next to no extra performance from what people have reported.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh i'll get a i5 then...thanks

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Just gotta wait for them to relist the i7 Air then...seems they delisted it :v

You can choose the i7 in both configurations on Apple's website or on certain authorized resellers like B&H Photo, but I don't know why you would because the difference isn't noticeable at all. The i7 might be 10% or so faster under momentary sustained loads, which are much less frequent than with a higher TDP processor in the MBP.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Ordered the i5 2020 MBP. 16gb ram with 1tb hard drive!

I am disappointed by not having 14" but.....I really value portability as I travel a ton so this MBP is what I asked for. Good keyboard, good processor, good ram, portability and battery life.

My MBA 2020 with applecare was $1949.

This MBP without applecare was $2008.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The other train of thought is this is just a spec bump and a super new improved 14" or ARM or whatever feature is going to be released in the fall

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Isn't the current rumor for 2021?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

The other train of thought is this is just a spec bump and a super new improved 14" or ARM or whatever feature is going to be released in the fall

Mister Facetious posted:

Isn't the current rumor for 2021?

That's basically what Ming-Chi Kuo has said, small refresh now with 14" miniLED (possibly arm) redesign in late 2020/early 2021.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm upgrading an iMac 2011 27" to SSD and a good cleaning. Wish me luck.

e: omg the dust storm blowing out the dust for the first time

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 4, 2020

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Probably too late, but be reeeeeeal careful with the power supply and the video cable, both very delicate..

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Too late. I almost broke the thin 'sync' cable getting it out of its connector but luckily it survived. The other cables seemed easier.

Contemplating pulling the whole mainboard while I'm in here to repaste the CPU and GPU.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

EL BROMANCE posted:

The i7 Air exists for reasons nobody understands anyway. It offers next to no extra performance from what people have reported.

It only exists to make the mid-tier model look like a better deal

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

OWC battery showed up but no C2D MacBook Pro yet :argh: drat USPS

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

OWC battery showed up but no C2D MacBook Pro yet :argh: drat USPS

wow very trumpian of u

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Shaocaholica posted:

Contemplating pulling the whole mainboard while I'm in here to repaste the CPU and GPU.

It is done.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Are there any rumors about the 16” getting a CPU refresh?

Also a there a way to enable target display on a 21.5 inch “late 2009” iMac? I don’t have much use for it as a computer but the display itself is still nice.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Mu Zeta posted:

It only exists to make the mid-tier model look like a better deal

And because some people are purchasing with company $$$ or otherwise just going to mash buy on the maxed out model

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Pulcinella posted:

Intel did launch 10th-gen H-series CPUs earlier last month. The 6-core part in the base 16" today may become an 8-core part with a 10th-gen refresh. Otherwise only expect minor clock speed bumps.

I'm very curious about the 4TB3 13" MBP's performance with its 28W Ice Lake chips. Also the stock configs on the 4TB3 13" MBPs are buyable now that they come with 16GB RAM standard, which is important to me because stock configs are the only configs that ever get deep discounts at third-party resellers, and are more plentiful in the refurb store than BTO configs.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pulcinella posted:

Also a there a way to enable target display on a 21.5 inch “late 2009” iMac? I don’t have much use for it as a computer but the display itself is still nice.

Target Display Mode is only for the 27" model 2009

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-an-imac-as-a-display-mh30822/mac

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Hold up. The $130 magic keyboard is not illuminated?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Posting from the just serviced 2011 iMac 27".

Factory GPU TIM (~9 years old)

Factory GPU heatsink

New pads on the GPU (TIM is thermal grizzly kryonaut)

Factory CPU TIM (~9 years old)

Repasted the CPU with thermal grizzly kryonaut (i7-2600 soldered IHS)

Repasted the PCH

SSD and guts all in just needs the screen and glass. Made sure to secure erase the SSD before installing MacOS.

I must have used 2 cans on compressed air at full charge warming them in a hot water bath between uses. Full of dust from 9 years of constant on use. Now it runs pretty cool. I didn't take a benchmark before doing the work, just too busy. I recall the fans would spin up pretty often but now I can't even get the CPU to break 80C under artificial all core load and the fans don't even spin up under the same load. Going to play some games tomorrow and see if I can get the fans to spin.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 5, 2020

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Okay now that the 13 just got announced....what do I get? :V

I do coding (react, js, wordpress)
Photoshop
high res photo editing
some light video work (nothing 2 fancy)

can I get by with the $1.3k entry level 13" or should I spring for something higher?

get a 16"

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
So is there likely to be a real performance difference in the midrange Air versus the basic 13 inch Pro? I’m talking in terms of battery life, photo editing and light video editing?

I know the base model Air is the cheapest but I can’t bring myself to buy a dual core chip in 2020...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Tasks that require sustained performance will see noticeable gains due to the significantly higher TDP limit of 25/28 watts versus 10w for the i5 in the new Air.

iirc the previous 13" Pro could still do Final Cut Pro X tasks in half the time or so.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

Tasks that require sustained performance will see noticeable gains due to the significantly higher TDP limit of 25/28 watts versus 10w for the i5 in the new Air.

iirc the previous 13" Pro could still do Final Cut Pro X tasks in half the time or so.

Thanks, given how long I keep my laptops it seems like it will be worth it. One last question - are AppleCare Protection Plan and Apple Care Plus different things? I can only buy the former here in Denmark and it may not cover as much?

eames
May 9, 2009

Dave Lee offers a different perspective on the 8th vs 10th gen 13" MBP discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hSOuK7qBgM

Maybe he has a point, but I suspect he's testing 28W 8th gen vs 28W 10th gen rather than the (rumored) new 15W/28W lineup.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Last time I checked the prices for the last gen 13inch MBP with the spec I wanted was close to the base model 16 inch? Now it's at least £400 cheaper but with the newer cpu it seems.

Does anyone know what specs the 10th gen cpus are? Are they all 4c/8t or is the i5 just 4c?

My 2015 mbp is getting pretty creaky and I do very occasionally get the odd hardlock.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 5, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sri.Theo posted:

So is there likely to be a real performance difference in the midrange Air versus the basic 13 inch Pro? I’m talking in terms of battery life, photo editing and light video editing?

I know the base model Air is the cheapest but I can’t bring myself to buy a dual core chip in 2020...

Only on the tasks that run longer than like 15-20 seconds. The 2020 13" Pro will be even faster.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Sri.Theo posted:

The battery life should be very similar, around 9-10 hours based on usage. Photo editing shouldn't really see much of a difference between the 13" Pro and Air unless you're working on massive photos with multiple layers or other resource heavy tasks. Video editing speed will be very noticeable between each laptop, but you have to ask yourself how often you're editing videos for long periods of time. The MBA is slightly thinner and smaller than the 13" MBP and runs cooler with far less fan noise, so you also have to consider what you care about most with your laptop. Yes, you have a definite tradeoff in slower sustained clock speed and a lower TDP processor, but that may or may not matter to you.

Never go for the base model Air. Saving $300 for a dog slow i3 and half the storage is the worst deal. You're so much better off halving your storage and still going for the i5 if you want to save some cash, which still isn't worthwhile. 512GB SSD is a nice sweet spot.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 5, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Also, take into account what the street price for the Air/Pro ends up being. B&H, Adorama, Google Shopping, and even Best Buy have all kinds of deals from time to time. And refurbs should start showing up in Apple's own refurb store in a few months...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The battery life should be very similar, around 9-10 hours based on usage. Photo editing shouldn't really see much of a difference between the 13" Pro and Air unless you're working on massive photos with multiple layers or other resource heavy tasks. Video editing speed will be very noticeable between each laptop, but you have to ask yourself how often you're editing videos for long periods of time. The MBA is slightly thinner and smaller than the 13" MBP and runs cooler with far less fan noise, so you also have to consider what you care about most with your laptop. Yes, you have a definite tradeoff in slower sustained clock speed and a lower TDP processor, but that may or may not matter to you.

Never go for the base model Air. Saving $300 for a dog slow i3 and half the storage is the worst deal. You're so much better off halving your storage and still going for the i5 if you want to save some cash, which still isn't worthwhile. 512GB SSD is a nice sweet spot.

Also the Air is available in gold and the Pro is not. You forgot that, but it’s very important (make me a GoldBook Pro, Apple, Jesus! :argh: )

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks all. The Air with the i5 and the Base Pro are the exact same price which is why I was deciding between the two.

I’m going to go with the pro for that extra performance as hopefully it will hold me in good stead in future.

I’ve waited so long for this to drop that my old laptop is literally falling apart :choco:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Sri.Theo posted:

Thanks all. The Air with the i5 and the Base Pro are the exact same price which is why I was deciding between the two.

I’m going to go with the pro for that extra performance as hopefully it will hold me in good stead in future.

I’ve waited so long for this to drop that my old laptop is literally falling apart :choco:

You will be very happy with either laptop because Apple is back to their scissor style awesome keyboard paired with new hardware, not the impossibly bad butterfly keyboard!

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 5, 2020

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pulled the trigger on the MBA the day before the new MBP arrived lol. Still very happy I just wish it’d get here already. Due Monday 🙏

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Pulled the trigger on the MBA the day before the new MBP arrived lol. Still very happy I just wish it’d get here already. Due Monday 🙏

You still have time if it didn’t already ship

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sri.Theo posted:

The base model i3 is still 25% faster than the dual core i5 in the previous model Air, the 10th gen chips are pretty good.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

You still have time if it didn’t already ship

It did, I only read about the mbp last night. For my hobby stuff it’ll be perfectly good to great plus w nice colour!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Would it be correct to say that Mac desktops are designed not to hit tjmax at full load with stock and custom fan control right? I haven't done a deep dive into how the more recent Mac minis and iMacs(pro) perform.

My repasted 2011 imac27 is hovering at 75C under full prime95 small FFT load with full manual speed CPU fan so its no where near tjmax under synthetic load and it seems the cooling solution is pretty decent and has some headroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

It did, I only read about the mbp last night. For my hobby stuff it’ll be perfectly good to great plus w nice colour!

Indeed! I wish it came on the MBP, although a space grey 13” MBP feels like a bit of a homecoming of sorts. We’ll see where it is in hopefully a year or two’s time if my current daily driver can hold out.

I want to at least match, ideally beat, the power of my 2013 15” in a smaller package.

I loved having an Air from 2011-2014. It felt revelatory and light years into the future from the 2007 BlackBook it supplanted. The MBP’s not heavy or unwieldy, but it feels really big compared to say an iPad or MBA.

The 13” (maybe 14” soon?) Pro feels kind of like a synthesis of all three previous notebooks I’ve had. It’s not much heavier or bigger than the Air but its design totally harkens back to the polycarb BlackBook in a way that I kinda love. Add in the power of the 15” and it’s like they all did a fusion dance and became my apparent platonic ideal of a MacBook. A Venn diagram of Mac.