Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

That’s my opinion as well. The systems completely break down in NG+ on more than one level, but that’s the fault of NG+ not being designed to accommodate them.

They should release a 100% bullshit version build around the stupid abilities and level 99 characters, and then double enemy damage and health again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
It would be fun if they added additional difficulty modes, like super limited items or infinite scaling enemies.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm shocked how good the remake is, honestly. It's even made the Benevedon bit (which I found tedious previously) good.
The only bit I'm unhappy about is the ??? seeds. Man it's annoying having 8 of them and still not being able to class up Reisz, especially when she's level 46 now. Although potentially knowing where to put my stat points does kinda make up for the seeds still existing, I've not quite made up my mind.

Absolutely loving that they've managed to do things the original game wanted to do but it didn't quite work properly. Like the small creatures village, god that was such a disappointment in the SNES one and amazing in this.

I do like that you can save your stats though! I think I'd have preferred it if they just got rid of the items to change altogether or made it so every other Benevedon dropped an item that allows you to change at 38 maybe.

Angela is Dark/Dark for me and yea, it's weird how she's basically naked. And that Reisz has a kinda child face? Bit perculiar.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah the ??? seeds can be annoying in a first/only playthrough. At least it's less of an issue in NG+ since you can just bring along a ton of the seeds.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Yeah, they really shouldn’t have locked the 3rd tier classes behind an item. Just gating it to level and making it so you can only do it at the sanctuary is enough. Of course, that wouldn’t really be in the spirit of the remake.

I loved the original and have been looking forward to this game a lot and it’s exceeded pretty much all my expectations. Reviews were pretty average, but I hope it is selling very well. Buzz in the community, at least, seems pretty positive.

I bought the game on Switch, but I’m probably going to buy it again on Steam at some point for mods. I’ve even thought about getting it now to see if I could take a crack at modding it myself, but I’m broke and am not super technically proficient, so that might be too tedious before other people have figured out how to get into the game’s files and change things.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Taear posted:

I'm shocked how good the remake is, honestly. It's even made the Benevedon bit (which I found tedious previously) good.
The only bit I'm unhappy about is the ??? seeds. Man it's annoying having 8 of them and still not being able to class up Reisz, especially when she's level 46 now. Although potentially knowing where to put my stat points does kinda make up for the seeds still existing, I've not quite made up my mind.

How did you open your ??? seeds? Always need more data to figure out their RNG.

And you kinda do get an item per benevodon to class them up, since almost all the dungeons have a ??? seed in a chest.

Zenithe posted:

They should release a 100% bullshit version build around the stupid abilities and level 99 characters, and then double enemy damage and health again.
Black Rabite time attack mode :colbert:

I wanna kick it's furry butt in under a minute.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Yeah, they really shouldn’t have locked the 3rd tier classes behind an item. Just gating it to level and making it so you can only do it at the sanctuary is enough. Of course, that wouldn’t really be in the spirit of the remake.

I loved the original and have been looking forward to this game a lot and it’s exceeded pretty much all my expectations. Reviews were pretty average, but I hope it is selling very well. Buzz in the community, at least, seems pretty positive.

It's selling okay, although really what we'd need to know is how they EXPECTED it to sell rather than how it has sold. God I really want them to do this to Secret of Mana and also Secret of Evermore.
Although the reviews of the game I'd seen have been really positive which is the main reason I decided to actually pick it up.

I feel like "quality of life" stuff does include getting rid of the lovely item although I understand they've made it easier (by putting them in the dungeons in boxes) AND they've put the point you class up much earlier too which is nice.

In other news can anyone tell me where Lil Cactus is in the woods that the tree Benevedon lives in? I didn't see him there at all and I went there first. I find that trying to get info like this from online guides is so much shittier nowadays than it was in the past, god drat.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I just did the Zehnoa fight and what the gently caress was that poo poo? It has to be some bug to just fill the whole floor with spike traps that the AI just melts away on.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Taear posted:

It's selling okay, although really what we'd need to know is how they EXPECTED it to sell rather than how it has sold. God I really want them to do this to Secret of Mana and also Secret of Evermore.
Although the reviews of the game I'd seen have been really positive which is the main reason I decided to actually pick it up.

I feel like "quality of life" stuff does include getting rid of the lovely item although I understand they've made it easier (by putting them in the dungeons in boxes) AND they've put the point you class up much earlier too which is nice.

In other news can anyone tell me where Lil Cactus is in the woods that the tree Benevedon lives in? I didn't see him there at all and I went there first. I find that trying to get info like this from online guides is so much shittier nowadays than it was in the past, god drat.

Someone linked this guide earlier, and it worked really well for me:
https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/lil-cactus-guide-for-trials-of-mana-all-50-lil-cactus-locations-prizes/

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah after playing the demo I almost didn't even get this. I played Hawkeye, it took forever to get to a fight, the voice acting and giant boob villain was embarrassing, it was a bad impression.

But the reviews were so positive I got it anyway and I'm really glad, it's been great.

Anyone else mess with the controls? On Switch I set y to light attack and a to dodge, that just feels a lot more natural

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Heithinn Grasida posted:

That’s my opinion as well. The systems completely break down in NG+ on more than one level, but that’s the fault of NG+ not being designed to accommodate them.

I think they could just block inheritance of the silliest chain abilities and prevent weak enemies from giving experience (ideally on a curve). Balancing the game to be harder in general without turning it into a slog for most parties or making the AI a horrible liability won’t be trivial, though, even before NG+.

I'm just grousing that there's all these abilities with actually flavourful conditionals that say something about the character and the class and require some minimal thought to apply and then there's never any need to use them.

Like to go back to Edelfrei, even in a vacuum, before even getting to class 4 or poaching from other characters or npc's it has acess to broken lines, offensive stance, concentrate and flourish, which are just always on and boost damage against everyone.

And that's 4 out of your six ability slots used leaving you with two and then you have to choose between actually investing in the saber magic gimmick of the class or getting some utility abilities like some kind of status effect protection ability or some kind of mp booster so you don't have to ration your saber casts.

And getting to class 4 makes things worse, because you get two new ability slots and three new easy passive damage boosters in rage 2, flourish 2 and concentrate 2, leaving you with 1 discretionary ability slot to use for something else. Oh and wound 2 which is also an easy damage booster, but requires slightly more effort to use since it only applies to power attacks.

And those all have equal or bigger percentage bonuses than attack saber 2's 25% and are on the str or luck trees which just passively boost damage, so why wouldn't you pick the damage boosters that cost no mp and require no elemental resistance/absorption avoidance and are just always on instead of attack saber and fraction and weak point and actually invest abilities into the mechanic the class is supposedly meant to specialize on. You can just use the baseline unmodified saber spells to hit weaknesses with your general purpose damage boosters instead.

And if you decide that you don't care about optimal damage after all and are just going to pick interesting abilities for fun, you realize that most of the abilites with interesting conditionals and synergies are also damage boosters, just fiddlier to apply than the general purpose ones without being sufficiently more powerful to be worth picking over them and the illusion of them actually being interestring shatters.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Yeah after playing the demo I almost didn't even get this. I played Hawkeye, it took forever to get to a fight, the voice acting and giant boob villain was embarrassing, it was a bad impression.

But the reviews were so positive I got it anyway and I'm really glad, it's been great.

Anyone else mess with the controls? On Switch I set y to light attack and a to dodge, that just feels a lot more natural

I changed the controls to the same thing on PS4. Just felt better to me.

I'm almost done with my second playthrough and if you use that 300% exp ability you WILL be level 99 before you ever hit Anise. It stacks with the lil Cactus ability to randomly triple exp too.

I have one more achievement to get (the last final boss) and that's an easy platinum. I hope this game kind of heralds a new wave of solid remakes that really remember the spirit of what made the old games fun. Not just dumb "Hey remember how you liked Chrono Trigger's combat? Well here's a characterless slog that has that!"

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
To fix the abilities imbalance the game probably would have needed some slots for personal abilities and then another pool of slots for chain abilities.

Also some of the abilities are crappy (with conditions which you rarely trigger) and several are badly explained. And the way the game is tuned all the +defense abilities are largely pointless, you're never in a position where attrition matters so you would be better off finishing the fight faster with more damage. So the good (damage) abilities stand out even more.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Angela (who is my main character) getting mana from attacking is mad, +3 each time is loads really considering how the game worked with mana previously.

I really want to change dodge and jump around because I (just like in Ys) jump when I want to dodge loving constantly but for some reason it won't let me. I set the key, then it says press right mouse to leave and it just won't let me. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've even tried changing it to something that isn't being used so I can then go back and change it to space, but nope. It's annoying.
That said I do find myself pressing the wrong buttons loving constantly anyway, I am CONTINUALLY pressing E to access the menu instead of tab for example.

Thanks for this!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Black Rabite gives a "0 MP on moves in combat" ability so eventually you don't even have to attack, just spam spells harder :v:

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

How did you open your ??? seeds? Always need more data to figure out their RNG.

And you kinda do get an item per benevodon to class them up, since almost all the dungeons have a ??? seed in a chest.

It seems like indeed the ??? seeds are set at least when you open the chest? I tried savescumming the second one I got (as it was a 2nd Lotte item I didn't need) and got the salt bottle every single reload, so they must be set at least from obtaining them if not when you start a save file period.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Is there a guide for character skills yet? Google just brings up the usual gaming journalism shitheaps that make guide pages long before they actually have any information. I'm mostly curious about resetting a couple characters from class 4 if the other class 3s would be better.

Also, finished my Hard NG+ main story with Hawkeye/Kevin/Charlotte at 90 and facerolled black rabite after getting class 4. :v:

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Is there a guide for character skills yet? Google just brings up the usual gaming journalism shitheaps that make guide pages long before they actually have any information. I'm mostly curious about resetting a couple characters from class 4 if the other class 3s would be better.

Also, finished my Hard NG+ main story with Hawkeye/Kevin/Charlotte at 90 and facerolled black rabite after getting class 4. :v:

I've been using these. There's links to the other characters near the top of the page, I don't know if they have an index. And I'm not sure how much I agree with their analysis, but the ability lists are complete for every character.

https://brightrockmedia.com/2020/04/27/trials-of-mana-kevin-classes-guide-2/

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

BurningCourage posted:

It seems like indeed the ??? seeds are set at least when you open the chest? I tried savescumming the second one I got (as it was a 2nd Lotte item I didn't need) and got the salt bottle every single reload, so they must be set at least from obtaining them if not when you start a save file period.

I saved it before opening the chest in the woods and regrew it 3 times
Each time it was the same item, so they're probably set when you create the save.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Taear posted:

I saved it before opening the chest in the woods and regrew it 3 times
Each time it was the same item, so they're probably set when you create the save.

Nah, it's set on chest open. That's how I got the items I wanted. Granted, it took approximately five million tries to get Duran's battle tag, but it does work.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Melomane Mallet posted:

Nah, it's set on chest open. That's how I got the items I wanted. Granted, it took approximately five million tries to get Duran's battle tag, but it does work.

Then I'm unbelievably unlucky.
It's a shame that other than the woods the other chests all seem to be quite deep in the dungeons.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Yeah I think that you had bad luck, I used the ??? seed chest in the light benevedon's dungeon since it's near a save statue and was able to get the item I wanted after maybe 3 tries.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

There are a bunch up on steam.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2073509794

All by the same author.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Try getting into a fight before opening the ??? seed chest. That may be necessary to jog the RNG. It worked for me, but me getting the same results when I didn't do it may just have been a coincidence.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I saved a bunch of rainbow seeds until after I turned class 4 but they all gave me the class 3 gear. Shame, that, but I did get the last piece I was missing from that set at least.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

SettingSun posted:

I saved a bunch of rainbow seeds until after I turned class 4 but they all gave me the class 3 gear. Shame, that, but I did get the last piece I was missing from that set at least.

The pool the seeds roll from is determined the moment you get them. If you got the rainbow seeds while being class 3, it will only roll for class 3 items. For class 4 you need to farm the seeds after you changed.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
So question. If I fully unlock a character's class path, reset and unlock the other path, will I get access to all the costumes?

Cause I want Spellbinder Angela for my next playthrough but I'd rather wear the Witch Queen outfit.

Same for Riesz wearing Starlancer or Meteorite.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
No, you lose the costumes when you reset.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
That sucks :negative:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to be requesting a thread title change now that the game is out. Anybody got any good titles for consideration?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Trials of Mana: Yes, it was always this horny

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

timp posted:

I'm going to be requesting a thread title change now that the game is out. Anybody got any good titles for consideration?

Trials of Mana -- Looks pewfectwy weadabw to me.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Crystalgate posted:

Try getting into a fight before opening the ??? seed chest. That may be necessary to jog the RNG. It worked for me, but me getting the same results when I didn't do it may just have been a coincidence.

There's enough coincidences going around to be suspicious.

I'm curious what would have happened if the lot of you had waited and grown 2 seeds at once instead of doing it one at a time (which is what I'm getting from the 'saved and grown' anecdotes.)

timp posted:

Trials of Mana - I love shopping and don't weave me you big meanies!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Defiance Industries posted:

Trials of Mana: Yes, it was always this horny

Maybe something similar like

Trials of Mana: like Secret of Mana, but hornier.

Edit: or Trials of Mana is the horniest game in the series

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Item Getter posted:

Yeah I think that you had bad luck, I used the ??? seed chest in the light benevedon's dungeon since it's near a save statue and was able to get the item I wanted after maybe 3 tries.

The ones in the ice and moon dungeon are also near save points; moon's all the way at the top, but ice is pretty accessible. Anyway, I found this video helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EMdid5fTpE

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Trials of Mana: For When You've Finished FF7R

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
So I went with L/D/L Kevin and he is kinda underwhelming compared to the insane class strike spammage that D/L/D can do. Gonna experiment with L/L/L on my next playthrough.

Also Angela's Doppelganger is insane visually and I love it :syoon: even though Lucent Beam+ is better

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Doppelganger is hilarious because it goes on for so long I can be just skipping through areas and fights and have the spell still going off in the background even though I ran from that battle and am in the process of running from the second one past it just because Angela casted it in the two seconds I was in a fight.

I've had it play out in the middle of cutscenes in the background.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Trials of Mana: It's just a young, cute game that really likes its new name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Trials of Mana: Beastmen Don't Use Money, What's a Buy?