Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

the_steve posted:

So, lib friend of mine posted the CNN article about how Obama's team had vetted Biden and foud no evidence of Tara Reade's allegations, and this discussion happened.
Can anyone help me out with a reliable source? I'm sure he'll handwave the Larry King call away as "doesn't count."

This is funny because if Democrats have to fall in love then Biden is guaranteed to lose because nobody actually likes him and it's not like he has any way of making people excited for his rapist rear end. So if your friend's argument is true, that's just another extremely strong reason for why Biden needs to be replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I've had people suggest that the problem is that people aren't excited or happy for Biden, while on Trump's side they're all in. I'm worried that'll be the election gap, because while the average person would rather have Biden, they won't actively go out and try for that, compared to Trump or his team getting a Facebook ad pushing him over someone who might barely make a dent in them if he wins.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Scientist Al Gore posted:

I'd bet if we got in a time machine, went to any place that had elections and ask people in that era what they thought about whomever was running you'd immediately be bombarded how every politician running simply isn't good enough for a vote. Or the two or even three party system suck what we really need is an alternative! :haw:

Politics is frequently a choice between the lesser evil. That's just politics.

You can ask Trump voters right now and they'd say they're stoked and are super happy with their guy

Being pumped to vote for somebody you like is only an aberration with the modern Dems lol. There have been a few elections where both sucked rear end and everybody hated them but the term "populist" exists for a reason

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

bobjr posted:

I've had people suggest that the problem is that people aren't excited or happy for Biden, while on Trump's side they're all in. I'm worried that'll be the election gap, because while the average person would rather have Biden, they won't actively go out and try for that, compared to Trump or his team getting a Facebook ad pushing him over someone who might barely make a dent in them if he wins.

Correct, this was a big and known factor from day 1 and is the natural result of ramming through a loser puttering away in 5th place with zero campaign infrastructure. Sounds like it'll be a rough 6 months pulling him across the line, good luck to them!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

I'm not trying to patronize anyone, it's just how things tend to work out of the majority of the time and lets face it most people don't want a revolution! Why? Because they know there have been plenty of times in history that even well meaning revolutions have ended up being completely destroyed with their leaders in jail, dead, etc. and several feet back from where they started.

If anything, I assure you at least 1960s Civil Rights marches would shocked to here anyone claiming the way to political reform is through not voting.

Don't get me wrong, the 1960 Civil Rights Movement was awesome. Go America! :patriot:

Even so , any kind of major revolution carries a ton of risk. Generally speaking people don't want to put their necks on the line even if their lives already suck and not to mention people get pissed if their forcefully volunteered. And again, many revolutions haven't succeeded either.

shut the gently caress up you stupid cracker

how loving dare you even for an instant equate your disgusting ideology with the blood sweat and tears shed by the leaders of the struggle for civil rights, who, might i remind you, WERE loving MURDER DOWN TO THE LAST ONE OF THEM BY THE loving WHITE SUPREMACIST STATE

where the absolute gently caress do you get off in thinking you have the remotest RIGHT to dare lay claim to a single WORD of those that loving DIED so that no one would have to suffer from from both the incredible harm of white supremacy and the relentless harm of deprivation, and yes, indeed, the horrors of capitalism?????

how
loving
DARE
YOU

e:

Agreed entirely, if anything I kind of feel like Malcom X was severely underrated. Crazy life story, too bad it was cut short. :smith:

When I referred to the Civil Rights Movement, I am of referring to the era! Of course, the battle for Civil Rights will never truly end as it's a ever lasting battle. I don't understand how you have the impression that I think that it's over and this the best it'll ever get because that's not my intent nor do I believe that at all.

Many of them are anarchists? Source?

if chuds are the face of white supremacy, you are the other side of that coin

get the gently caress out with your horseshit "just asking quwuwestions uwu" routine

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

i got owned
Apr 10, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A big flaming stink posted:

how loving dare you even for an instant equate your disgusting ideology with the blood sweat and tears shed by the leaders of the struggle for civil rights, who, might i remind you, WERE loving MURDER DOWN TO THE LAST ONE OF THEM BY THE loving WHITE SUPREMACIST STATE

where the absolute gently caress do you get off in thinking you have the remotest RIGHT to dare lay claim to a single WORD of those that loving DIED so that no one would have to suffer from from both the incredible harm of white supremacy and the relentless harm of deprivation, and yes, indeed, the horrors of capitalism?????

how
loving
DARE
YOU

e:

get the gently caress out with your horseshit "just asking quwuwestions uwu" routine

everything this guy said x1000 but less politely

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I actually get the impression that Scientist Al Gore is more representative of what your average liberal believes and isn't posting in bad faith (as opposed to the various other posters who come into here and are obviously hostile to the left to begin with). They probably genuinely don't realize why the opinions they're expressing are wrong and off-putting, because those opinions are mostly the sort of things that are taken as common sense in liberal discourse.

Like, their understanding of the Civil Rights Movement is deeply flawed, but it's flawed in a way that is natural to someone of a liberal inclination who lives in the US (or is otherwise exposed to a similar view of history). The way most people are taught history, historical events basically have clear and immediate causes with a handful of key figures driving them. So it's not surprising that someone would come away with the impression that something like the Civil Rights Movement was the result of some people suddenly seizing the moment and convincing politicians to pass the 1964 Civil Rights Act, rather than a long and ongoing power struggle where the tension finally reached a point where the US government decided that it was best to concede some basic rights.

The way the word liberal has been used by many of the "leftist" posters in this thread - I don't mean this as a pejorative is incorrect. Neo-liberal is exactly what they are describing when they used the term liberal. It's wrong and no one anywhere else from mass media to academia will you find it used in such a way because that isn't what it means.

Unless you have something specific to discuss about the definition, then I guess we will have agree to disagree.

"Liberal" is an extremely vague term by itself that can technically overlap with neoliberals and a variety of other ideologies.

In the US, the only self-described left-leaning liberals who aren't neoliberals tend to be some strain of social democratic, which is a better descriptor for what your most left-leaning US liberals believe (not opposed to capitalism but believe in a strong welfare state).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

how
loving
DARE
YOU

e:

Best post of this entire thread so far

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
scientist al gore believes that the struggles and strife of civil rights activism are there for him to point at, straining and struggling to understand only to puke out 'wow, cool black people'

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

how
loving
DARE
YOU

e:

Succinct, accurate, and to the point. You're completely entitled to your ideology, Scientist Al Gore, but don't act as if you can speak for those who lost their lives during the Civil Rights Movement.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
imagine someone who looks at the civil rights movement and says 'actually, both sides are wrong'

that's scientist al gore

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
*note: scientist al gore actually believes that one side isn't wrong but refuses to admit it

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

If politics is a game, it's a game of inches. You move forward a little bit, you move backwards a little bit. Rarely, you get some super cool opportunities like the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s but even then that was especially brutal, extremely risky and despite a great outcome the success was paid in blood.

Politics are not, in fact, a game.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

M4A, Wealth Tax, and some Pro-Labor policies is like the bare minimum im looking for in electoralism.

Basic Human Rights should be a easy bar for the progressive Democratic Party to clear.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
hey scientist al gore are you saying that i should, in fact, be happy with biden's plan to make it so i can marry in 25 instead of 30 years, because get 5 years is better than nothing right? how long until you can get married without worrying about losing healthcare you need to function and live?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Actually I think you'll find that the history of civil rights consists entirely of minorities very politely asking that the bad men stop oppressing them until upper middle class liberals granted them exactly as many civil rights as was possible at the time out of the kindness of their hearts.

So basically white PMC liberals are the real heroes of the civil rights movement and you need to support them unconditionally or else.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

destroy my fragile body with a probe if you must, but know this:

the poster scientist al gore is a creep and not welcome in my home

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

the_steve posted:

Shared the Ryan Grim story, which didn't count because The Intercept is apparently an "unknown" publication.
The Larry King call didn't count because I didn't link to that video, I followed that up with a link to the CNN article which has said video and confirms it's legitimate.

Lol The Intercept broke the loving Snowden story. Members of the alphabet soup agencies are banned from reading it, which is a testimony to its legitimacy.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

dex_sda posted:

Lol The Intercept broke the loving Snowden story. Members of the alphabet soup agencies are banned from reading it, which is a testimony to its legitimacy.

Ryan Grimm is the journalist who first reported on the Ford accusations against Kavanaugh so it's even more nakedly hypocritical

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

how
loving
DARE
YOU

e:

:same:, to be honest.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The funniest part of that liberal dipshit's post is that they think a moderate social Democrat asking for a basic social safety net is a "revolution".

Unscientific
Feb 16, 2014
It's one of the most reductive, white-washing, horseshit descriptions of the civil rights movement I've ever read.

It's almost impressive how insulting it is.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If politics is a game, it's a game of inches. You move forward a little bit, you move backwards a little bit. Rarely, you get some super cool opportunities like the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s but even then that was especially brutal, extremely risky and despite a great outcome the success was paid in blood.

The end result of this political philosophy is the destruction of our civilization in climate Armageddon so maybe it's not too good idk

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Cpt_Obvious posted:

My point was that you can draw a direct line between the liberal divinity of the market and the fascist divinity of the state. Both systems seek to replace the worship of God with the worship of the anchoring political structure.

And, yes, I consider the stock market to be a political structure.

This is interesting. Could you expand a little on the stock market being a political structure? The only thing I can really think of is people get wealth in the stock market and thus have more access to power structures.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't think I've read something, including chud ramblings, that got me as genuinely angry as

quote:

If politics is a game, it's a game of inches. You move forward a little bit, you move backwards a little bit. Rarely, you get some super cool opportunities like the Civil Rights movement in the 1960s

Like, I literally woke up, read that again, and said 'gently caress that guy' out loud despite having seen it last night.

It also 100% encapsulates the main DNC position on things.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don’t understand how this story never got more traction

https://twitter.com/prokchorp/status/1257503054578008075?s=21

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

This should be SAG's red text, but their current avatar is far more embarrassing and more easily identifies them as a bigot

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

All the “I believe Joe Biden” stories gloss over how the man is historically famous for lying.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maaaaybe you guys would stop flipping out at Scientist Al Gore if you just read what he said, instead of writing things between the lines and then reading them. He's saying the most anodyne liberal poo poo ever (the civil rights movement was good! the world has gotten better over... centuries!) and you guys are melting down because you're reading it as (civil rights leaders were liberal heroes! history is a straight line to fairness and equality!). Is it really this hard to have a conversation with somebody you disagree with?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Mellow Seas posted:

Maaaaybe you guys would stop flipping out at Scientist Al Gore if you just read what he said, instead of writing things between the lines and then reading them. He's saying the most anodyne liberal poo poo ever (the civil rights movement was good! the world has gotten better over... centuries!) and you guys are melting down because you're reading it as (civil rights leaders were liberal heroes! history is a straight line to fairness and equality!). Is it really this hard to have a conversation with somebody you disagree with?

Except they aren't just saying that the civil rights movement was good. You can actually read the other words they wrote and maybe even draw meaning from them!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Mellow Seas posted:

This is satire, right?

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Mellow Seas posted:

The Civil Rights Movement was awesome! Go America! :patriot:

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
'Politics is frequently a choice between the lesser evil. That's just politics' I say, as they shove me into the oven

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

sexpig by night posted:

It also 100% encapsulates the main DNC position on things.

It really does. I think one of the most visceral guh things I've ever read was someone explaining to me in a condescending manner that the democrats gave us rights as recently as the whole gay marriage thing. I don't remember who said it or where I saw it, but the idea that we should be grateful to our establishment betters for any morsel of liberty they deign to grace us with (because that's obviously how it works) was utterly maddening.

I don't know how to deal with the fact that a big portion of the country firmly seems to believe "if you're not decorous to them they won't give you rights!" and that that's somehow a desirable state.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Mellow Seas posted:

Could you please knock it off with the tone policing? Just because people weren’t dainty with him doesn’t mean they misread him. “Anodyne liberal poo poo” deserves no quarter. People gave good reasons why they were frustrated — this kind of whitewashing view of real struggle is disrespectful to those who put their lives on the line for progress. It’s a view that ought to be firmly repudiated.

quote:

If anything, I assure you at least 1960s Civil Rights marches would shocked to here anyone claiming the way to political reform is through not voting.

Like this sentence is infuriating just on its face. Yes I’m sure those in the 1960s Civil Rights movement would be shocked at the notion of not voting for the segregationist who eulogized Strom Thurmond.

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 5, 2020

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ershalim posted:

It really does. I think one of the most visceral guh things I've ever read was someone explaining to me in a condescending manner that the democrats gave us rights as recently as the whole gay marriage thing. I don't remember who said it or where I saw it, but the idea that we should be grateful to our establishment betters for any morsel of liberty they deign to grace us with (because that's obviously how it works) was utterly maddening.

I don't know how to deal with the fact that a big portion of the country firmly seems to believe "if you're not decorous to them they won't give you rights!" and that that's somehow a desirable state.

We gave you gay rights! *gave exactly one right, still isn't sure about the T*

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

Maybe they should read a book instead of stumbling in here and talking about how no one wants to do revolution because it's hard and that's why they need to vote for a rapist.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/T4RIG/status/1257202099387019264?s=20

This guy is sounding better and better!

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Epic High Five posted:

uh buddy ur fuckin nominee is literally telling us to vote for the man, maybe get with the party line on this and encourage us to

I voted for Bernie in Ohio even after he dropped out. I don't really care who you vote for in the general, or if you vote at all.

ManBoyChef posted:

where did I say I wanted trump to win. I just hope biden loses.

The former is the necessary result of the latter. They are mutually inclusive.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He’s still left of Biden (which in fairness is not very difficult)