Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Vasukhani posted:

So i finally purchased this, mainly because I wanted to drive a lotus 49 and grand prix legends was getting boring (I even managed to win a race against the AI ghost of jim clark), anyway, with the safety rating, to get out of rookie is slow driving and just making laps a viable strategy? There is no reason to actually "race" the first races right? Or do you get more SR for finishing well?

If you've conquered GPL you're going to be fine competitively in iRacing. Getting out of rookies is very easy, but it requires you to have a non-racing mindset. The only thing that is important while you are a rookie is avoiding incidents. Any time a green message appears at the top of your screen you have failed. This means do not engage in on-track battles, do not try and Cole Trickle your way through pile ups, and always try and exist in a pocket of clean air so the people you are sharing the track with (who generally don't have this mindset) cannot reach you to gently caress you up.

If you can drive races with 0 incidents, you will be surprised at how quickly your SR rises. After that you can start engaging your racecraft and worrying about where you finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
I wish I could go back in time and give myself the same advice, because it took me nearly a year and a half to get out of rookies, courtesy of me not getting it and rage-quitting the entire service. I probably won 80% of the races I did in that period but because I got on average 10 incidents a race doing it (all off tracks from trying too hard) the wins didn't mean poo poo and I stayed a rookie.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

"Don't race in rookies" is bad advice though. It's treating iRacing like an MMO where you're trying to shortcut the grind to level 20 so you can start accessing the PVP content. The point of rookies is to learn how to race with other cars without crashing, not to tiptoe around at 80% speed whilst social distancing yourself 20 seconds behind the next car at all times. Learn all that stuff in rookies where the stakes are lower, or you're likely to find yourself graduating to a D Licence but with no idea how to race safely and closely, and causing accidents as a result.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Not to mention rolling around slowly is going to give you a low iRating when you get to D class, so the people you'll be racing when you get to D will likely be people who've done the same thing to get out of rookies. So the racing is going to be worse, you'll have bad or boring races, get wrecked out/wreck people more and generally have a more miserable time.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Some of the Sheep posted:

If you've conquered GPL you're going to be fine competitively in iRacing. Getting out of rookies is very easy, but it requires you to have a non-racing mindset. The only thing that is important while you are a rookie is avoiding incidents. Any time a green message appears at the top of your screen you have failed. This means do not engage in on-track battles, do not try and Cole Trickle your way through pile ups, and always try and exist in a pocket of clean air so the people you are sharing the track with (who generally don't have this mindset) cannot reach you to gently caress you up.

If you can drive races with 0 incidents, you will be surprised at how quickly your SR rises. After that you can start engaging your racecraft and worrying about where you finish.

I'm out of rookies. This debate between "racing/ non-racing" is a little moot, I basically settled on an in-between where I didn't contest space with faster cars and only passed lapped traffic on straights. Which I guess is how you are supposed to be driving in Iracing. Mostly scored top 5s and 10s.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Yeah, driving around the back doesn't help you because you don't learn what boneheads you're dealing with, but trying to race them hard is also impossible. "Learn how to race" should really be more like "learn how to avoid bad drivers".

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Vando posted:

Yeah, driving around the back doesn't help you because you don't learn what boneheads you're dealing with, but trying to race them hard is also impossible. "Learn how to race" should really be more like "learn how to avoid bad drivers".

this 100%.. Learn to drive with idiots and what they look like etc.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I'll drive around with the idiots but I don't like starting with them. My irating took a nose dive when I started to learn the skip cause I'm pretty new to iracing so I'm with terrible drivers right now so I like to start behind everyone then catch up and start racing once everyone is spaced out

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

You need to learn to handle a race start at some point, better to do it in the lower level series' than end up only ever making it past lap one occasionally in the faster cars.

Seriously every "trick" to getting out of rookies, or raising your SR is basically handicapping yourself by not learning the good habits and techniques you're supposed to be learning in those slower cars and lower stakes races.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There should be sprints where rookies have to do the first 2 laps of a race over and over until they stop crashing on turn 1 :v:

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I'll drive around with the idiots but I don't like starting with them. My irating took a nose dive when I started to learn the skip cause I'm pretty new to iracing so I'm with terrible drivers right now so I like to start behind everyone then catch up and start racing once everyone is spaced out

A good role of thumb is just don't really try to contest anything lap one, stay out of trouble and you'll find yourself in fifth or sixth by lap 3, after that, you can race without the kamikazes.

I need a new wheel with actually functioning FF, they are all sold out or 1,400 USD now due to the pandemic tho :(

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The easiest way to do well in skips is to get a decent grid position and learn to avoid the lap 1-2 wrecks. This will pretty much always drop you into the top 5 going into lap 3. It doesn't really get much better in skips, at least as far as splits I've seen.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

njsykora posted:

Seriously every "trick" to getting out of rookies, or raising your SR is basically handicapping yourself by not learning the good habits and techniques you're supposed to be learning in those slower cars and lower stakes races.

This, a million times this.

People are so obsessed with getting away from "the idiots" and, for no reason I can understand, think that once they get that magical D class license they'll somehow not be surrounded by people who did the same thing, and are now still racing among "the idiots" (as well as being one) but now in much faster cars. :bravo:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm going for C class so I can get back into the Miata races, except not with rookies.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I got my D road and D oval licenses pretty rapidly, and after getting my rear end kicked in the skippy six or seven times, I’m already back to the rookie MX5 series to git gud.

(I really want to like the SRF, but holy gently caress the oversteer is just beyond me so far.)

Also, I got my D oval license, got into the ARCA series to “get away from the idiots,” the same week the ARCA series was at Talladega. That was a frustrating poo poo show. Doesn’t matter how clean and well you run, some dipshit is going to bumpdraft you off the podium to the back of the pack.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rincey posted:

People are so obsessed with getting away from "the idiots" and, for no reason I can understand, think that once they get that magical D class license they'll somehow not be surrounded by people who did the same thing, and are now still racing among "the idiots" (as well as being one) but now in much faster cars. :bravo:
It's a concept in League (and probably other mobas) that there is no golden rank where people suddenly start being good at the game. It's the same in iRacing, the only difference between an MX-5 driver in rookies and an MX-5 driver in C class is the C class driver has a yellow stripe on the back of their car instead of a red one.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Rincey posted:

This, a million times this.

I just wanted my drat irank or whatever :colbert:

plus there is a specific car i want to race

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

MrYenko posted:

I got my D road and D oval licenses pretty rapidly, and after getting my rear end kicked in the skippy six or seven times, I’m already back to the rookie MX5 series to git gud.

(I really want to like the SRF, but holy gently caress the oversteer is just beyond me so far.)

Also, I got my D oval license, got into the ARCA series to “get away from the idiots,” the same week the ARCA series was at Talladega. That was a frustrating poo poo show. Doesn’t matter how clean and well you run, some dipshit is going to bumpdraft you off the podium to the back of the pack.

Yeah. You can't really bump draft with the ARCA car very well because the nose goes under the rear of the car in front and just scoops them up.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Vasukhani posted:

I need a new wheel with actually functioning FF, they are all sold out or 1,400 USD now due to the pandemic tho :(

Hey, if you're in the US, shoot me an email to my username at gmail, I have something you might be interested in.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Getting out of Rookie should be both easy and a good learning opportunity this week. Legends are at USA. It's a long 40 lap race so you can qualify and learn to race in traffic. Tires fall out pretty well over the course of the race so you will learn tire management and also how to race different lines. This is about as easy as it's going to get at the lower licences and the Legends are super fun to drive.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I had just started iRacing a 5 years ago when life decided to kick me in the testicles and I had to stop. I had advanced out of rookies and started racing skips where I was finishing mid-pack when I manage to not get killed. After such a long hiatus would you guys recommend going back to rookies or toughing it out in the skip?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

KodiakRS posted:

I had just started iRacing a 5 years ago when life decided to kick me in the testicles and I had to stop. I had advanced out of rookies and started racing skips where I was finishing mid-pack when I manage to not get killed. After such a long hiatus would you guys recommend going back to rookies or toughing it out in the skip?

I like the skip. I don't like the MX5. I recommend skips, but that's personal bias.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

The new mx5 on the new tyres is way harder for rookies than it was before. I signed up in feb 2019 and was out in rookies in 4 races with 2 or 3 wins. I'm not that good, my only wins come from those early days and now I only have about 5 wins in about 130 races. Similar experience and stats with oval, although the street stock on the new tyres is still easy but a lot more fun.

I find the mx5 now much harder to drive than the skippy, and I'd even say it's harder than driving GT3s. Skippy should be the rookie car imo.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah, I tried the mx5 after a long hiatus and it was like driving on ice, though maybe because all I drive is the skip

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I made class C :sun:

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran
I just went from Rookie to D, and yeah, the Skip Barber is a hell of a lot grippier than the MX5-5.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
Learn to race is great advice for someone new to simracing altogether, but if you're already quick and experienced from other titles, then driving rookie races with a wheel-to-wheel and race to win strategy is only going to frustrate you. As I said no-one made it clear to me that I merely needed to drive cleaner to advance so I bounced right out of the service for over a year. When I came back with the correct mindset I blew all the way through to A class in around a month, and with a 3k iR to go with it so I was never driving around at the back.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Some of the Sheep posted:

Learn to race is great advice for someone new to simracing altogether, but if you're already quick and experienced from other titles, then driving rookie races with a wheel-to-wheel and race to win strategy is only going to frustrate you. As I said no-one made it clear to me that I merely needed to drive cleaner to advance so I bounced right out of the service for over a year. When I came back with the correct mindset I blew all the way through to A class in around a month, and with a 3k iR to go with it so I was never driving around at the back.

If you are an experienced sim racer you should already have the situational awareness and wreck anticipation/avoidance skills that would allow you to rapidly proceed to a D-licence, surely? Not trying to be a dick but if you're getting continually wrecked out of Street Stock or MX5 races to the point that it's obliterating your SR, then maybe that experience elsewhere isn't as relevant as you think it is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you've been sim racing for years and have never done public lobby online racing in that time, your skills aren't that transferrable to iRacing.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

njsykora posted:

If you've been sim racing for years and have never done public lobby online racing in that time, your skills aren't that transferrable to iRacing.

This is true, in the old papy sims AI is basically pro, it will almost never make mistakes and not like fly out of racing lines

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Vasukhani posted:

This is true, in the old papy sims AI is basically pro, it will almost never make mistakes and not like fly out of racing lines

That AI is nothing at all like racing humans so if you've never done that, definitely don't try to fast track yourself through the rookie series.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The ego that leads people to believe they're better than the rookie series and should be in the big leagues as soon as possible is exactly what causes so many accidents and poor decisions in racecraft.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Getting out of rookies while racing wasn't even that hard. In most of the races I did, almost half of the field bit the dust in turn 1. As long as I made it through that, there was hardly anyone left to wreck me.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Wolfy posted:

Getting out of rookies while racing wasn't even that hard. In most of the races I did, almost half of the field bit the dust in turn 1. As long as I made it through that, there was hardly anyone left to wreck me.

I was just frustrated by being very clearly intentionally wrecked a few times. But you're right its v easy after that, just have to learn that you can't assume the other driver is not going to make a mistake.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Intentional wrecking is pretty rare. Someone intentionally taking an action that results in you getting wrecked is common, and rarely considered anything beyond a racing incident precipitated by idiocy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I made it out of rookies on literally the first or second day just doing spec miata. It's not that hard.

Besides, anyone can game their safety rating by just doing time trials. Drive the skip around an oval for a few hours - bam, free 4.0.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Mr. Powers posted:

Intentional wrecking is pretty rare. Someone intentionally taking an action that results in you getting wrecked is common, and rarely considered anything beyond a racing incident precipitated by idiocy.

guy kamikaze'd me right outta pits

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I got 4x on a fairly clean race one time when I was trying to catch the person I was chasing after the last corner on the last lap when they decided they didn't like me or something and slammed on the brakes immediately after crossing the finish line.

Someone else in the race sent me a message saying that guy is a dick for doing that also lol.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Keep in mind that individual events like that don't matter long-term. SR is an average, those individual stupid 4x events suck but those won't determine whether or not your SR is A or B or C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

IOwnCalculus posted:

Keep in mind that individual events like that don't matter long-term. SR is an average, those individual stupid 4x events suck but those won't determine whether or not your SR is A or B or C.

I'm not complaining, dont think anyone is, it is deffo a good system and makes races much more intense and interesting