Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Cojawfee posted:

Area is pi*r^2. 3 inch radius and 110psi, would be 990*pi or 3110 pounds.

Whoops ment a 6 inch radius my bad, but i think you're probably closer to the pipe size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Safety Dance posted:

Good god, it's like the crankshaft hosed off into an H.R. Geiger painting.

Professor of Cats posted:

This is the best description. Make it a black and white monochrome and there you go.

Agreed.

Bet that was an expensive noise.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So who's the poor fucker that has to go fishing for that plug?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

STR posted:

So who's the poor fucker that has to go fishing for that plug?

THe guy who just got hired.
Realistically though, its probably not *that* difficult to fish out. There are a poo poo ton of fishing tools for drilling applications that would likely be suitable for it.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

taqueso posted:

I want my rock carriers to be strapping men with sacks overs their shoulders, no tech allowed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoOdhKYj8Bc

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
So a person is driving a truck in Florida, and the truck is driving straight along the highway but the body is at an angle to the line of travel. What causes poo poo like this? The vehicle doesn't look bent in some weird non-euclidian way.
https://www.newsflare.com/video/353685/how-is-he-driving-florida-motorist-spots-diagonal-facing-vehicle-driving-down-highway

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So a person is driving a truck in Florida, and the truck is driving straight along the highway but the body is at an angle to the line of travel. What causes poo poo like this? The vehicle doesn't look bent in some weird non-euclidian way.
https://www.newsflare.com/video/353685/how-is-he-driving-florida-motorist-spots-diagonal-facing-vehicle-driving-down-highway

Car got wrapped around a tree at some point and inexpertly "repaired". The driver has to countersteer constantly to keep it in the same lane. The body might look fine but the frame probably looks like that Hellcat that was in this thread recently that had box steel welded into the frame.

Memento fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 4, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The term for that is dog tracking and that truck is mega hosed

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Probably has broken u-bolts on the passenger side of the rear axle. With the axle that far cocked the driveshaft splines have to barely be engaged. Amazing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, with the bed and cab lining up that well I'm betting either a leaf spring eye hangar is hosed or a leaf center pin bolt is busted.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The rear axle seeks desperately to exit stage right.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I always called it “crabbing”, never saw it that bad though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Memento posted:

The driver has to countersteer constantly to keep it in the same lane.

this isn't necessarily true - the front and rear axles can be parallel without the body being true to those parallel lines - the car at that point is essentially a parallelogram.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Thanks for the replies, I learned a lot!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It is Florida. They come off the lot that way.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Florida Man watched too much Red Green.

Things didn't turn out well.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I bought a Soarer which did that on the drive home. Took it to a decent alignment shop, they tell me the rear axle is 40mm over to one side, and the right side wheels are about 40mm forward of the left ones. The unibody was apparently "slightly banana shaped".

That was it's last ever drive. Cornering in that thing was hella interesting.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

I bought a Soarer which did that on the drive home. Took it to a decent alignment shop, they tell me the rear axle is 40mm over to one side, and the right side wheels are about 40mm forward of the left ones. The unibody was apparently "slightly banana shaped".

You got a NASCAR/dirt track Soarer man, why'd you get rid of it?! I bet that thing could turn left like a monster

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Beach Bum posted:

You got a NASCAR/dirt track Soarer man, why'd you get rid of it?! I bet that thing could turn left like a monster

It wanted to turn right, not left :(

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

If you don't mind my asking, how did that work out for you? Were you just screwed out of the cost of the vehicle?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It wanted to turn right, not left :(

reverse nascar

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
IIRC, the Soarer was sold in Australia, where they race on ovals in a clockwise direction, aka turning right.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I know you're making a joke but actually when we've done circle track racing here it's counter clockwise as well, left turns only.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The term for that is dog tracking and that truck is mega hosed

As always, I am amazed at what people will ignore/put up with.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ulf posted:

I always called it “crabbing”, never saw it that bad though.

GM sold Novas and variants (like the Buick Apollo and Pontiac Astre) that had some wonky factory defect poo poo on the rear axles where one of the leaf spring centering pins would break or weren't installed properly/at all and they dog-tracked like that within the first 10,000 miles.

I spent the late 70s to late 80s looking for that crab motion every time I spotted a '76-'78 GM 'compact.' Thought I was losing my mind: nobody else seemed to see it. I once made an rear end of myself on Car Talk, got through & asked WTF happened that these cars all looked like they'd been rebuilt from bad wrecks by shadetrees with no frame-alignment equipment or even knowledge of basic geometry...they had no idea what I was talking about.

Wasn't until the internet came along, I started to feel better.

https://jalopnik.com/why-some-cars-look-like-theyre-driving-sideways-down-th-1828527664

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Fifty Three posted:

If you don't mind my asking, how did that work out for you? Were you just screwed out of the cost of the vehicle?

I bought it because it was in great condition and hella cheap. Made my money back by selling the engine, kept the active suspension parts as spares, and sold most of the rest of it. RIP rare car, but gently caress it, it was dead before I got it.

Soarer was never sold in Aus (Japan/US only), but its a very popular import.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 5, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

GM sold Novas and variants (like the Buick Apollo and Pontiac Astre) that had some wonky factory defect poo poo on the rear axles where one of the leaf spring centering pins would break or weren't installed properly/at all and they dog-tracked like that within the first 10,000 miles.

I spent the late 70s to late 80s looking for that crab motion every time I spotted a '76-'78 GM 'compact.' Thought I was losing my mind: nobody else seemed to see it. I once made an rear end of myself on Car Talk, got through & asked WTF happened that these cars all looked like they'd been rebuilt from bad wrecks by shadetrees with no frame-alignment equipment or even knowledge of basic geometry...they had no idea what I was talking about.

Wasn't until the internet came along, I started to feel better.

https://jalopnik.com/why-some-cars-look-like-theyre-driving-sideways-down-th-1828527664
Have you ever found the audio? I’d totally listen to that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Darchangel posted:

As always, I am amazed at what people will ignore/put up with.

its mostly super poor people

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its mostly super poor people

That's not completely true. When I worked as a general mechanic, things came into the shop with issues that were terrifying, and they weren't even the cause of the visit.
Someone brought in a Forester because the ABS light came on. The reason? A rear wheel bearing was do bad that the tone ring crashed into the ABS sensor. The car was scary to drive in the parking lot, sounded like the end of the world.

The customer paid with an amex gold card and didn't seem phased about the cost of the repair, which was kind of steep because it needed a whole new knuckle, axle, brakes, parking brake cable, and shock. It got so hot, it blew the seals out of the shock.

That's just one of many things i saw, people just don't care? I dunno, it's not always that they can't afford the repair, they just don't care or know.
It's hard for car enthusiasts to understand that mentality.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sorry, i meant that really more specifically in reference to crabbing vehicles. they are almost always older BOF vehicles that are usually owned by less affluent people. you're absolutely right that people put up with all kinds of stuff. hell my wife will only occasionally tell me if the car is doing something strange.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I wonder if these are the same people that walk around with weird medical issues until they are too critical to ignore?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Computer viking posted:

I wonder if these are the same people that walk around with weird medical issues until they are too critical to ignore?

Yea, like type 2 diabetes patients that don't change their diet and lose limbs.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It amazes me how many people drive around on badly worn or bald tires when they can afford it but just don't want to pay for new tires.

I once told a friend of my wife's that she needs to buy new tires for her SUV asap because it was ridiculous how bad they were and she's driving around with three kids in the car. She told me her husband didn't think she needed new tires yet, so I told her no, your husband is an idiot just take it and get tires.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Computer viking posted:

again a lot of these people are poor or don't have health insurance but that's cool too

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I had a convo like that with my neighbors. 'I just bought tires 4 years ago, they're too expensive.' 'can I just buy cheaper used tires?' I did say if you don't drive much, sure get used tires and replace more often.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that's one of the problems with the giant wheels every OEM insists on putting on cars and CUVs. i'm glad the alltrack only takes 16" tires.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

chrisgt posted:

That's just one of many things i saw, people just don't care? I dunno, it's not always that they can't afford the repair, they just don't care or know.
It's hard for car enthusiasts to understand that mentality.

Kind of a weird thing. Can't be an expert in everything, but if your car is flying apart is a tad different than not knowing how your aquarium pH balance is going.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Aren't tires for larger wheels generally less rubber and slightly less expensive? Assuming the same total diameter and model

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

again a lot of these people are poor or don't have health insurance but that's cool too

We have them were healthcare is plentyful and free as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

taqueso posted:

Aren't tires for larger wheels generally less rubber and slightly less expensive? Assuming the same total diameter and model

No, they are more expensive because the sidewalls need more reinforcement and they are generally wider as well.