Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

90s Solo Cup posted:

I'm too much of a lazy poo poo to deal with manual transmissions.

You do not deserve your avatar, SIR. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

dissss posted:

Lol, you definitely don't want an auto in a Mazda that old - they hadn't figured them out for at least another decade.

They weren't horrible until they took a poo poo around 130k, and they always did. And the cost of repair was usually more than the car was worth so they always got scrapped.

I junked two myself.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Applebees Appetizer posted:

They weren't horrible until they took a poo poo around 130k, and they always did. And the cost of repair was usually more than the car was worth so they always got scrapped.

I junked two myself.

Our family had one until 230k or so. :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Our family had one until 230k or so. :colbert:

Did you have it from new? Cuz it's gonna depend if it was maintained or not. The cars I had were most definitely not, those transmissions needed regular fluid changes to last that long.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

dissss posted:

Lol, you definitely don't want an auto in a Mazda that old - they hadn't figured them out for at least another decade.

This applies to quite a few Japanese cars. The Automatic transmission in the ‘92 EG Civic I drove was awful.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Did you have it from new? Cuz it's gonna depend if it was maintained or not. The cars I had were most definitely not, those transmissions needed regular fluid changes to last that long.

Nah. My parents bought it used in...96? I think they finally got rid of it in the mid 2000s at some point with 230k.

Passed my driver’s test on it!

Edit: just confirmed with my dad: it ate a transmission during ownership.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 3, 2020

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Frond posted:

This applies to quite a few Japanese cars. The Automatic transmission in the ‘92 EG Civic I drove was awful.

Even worse if you had a B16a or B18c coupled to the auto. Toyota and Mitsubishi had the same issue with their small high RPM engines too - they just weren't suited to a four speed auto.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Residency Evil posted:

You guys seem to have very strong opinions about car youtubers.

They’re all pretty much the same imho: white guys who have money to fall back on in case things didn’t work out.

Chris Harris awkwardly enters the chat...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

dissss posted:

Even worse if you had a B16a or B18c coupled to the auto. Toyota and Mitsubishi had the same issue with their small high RPM engines too - they just weren't suited to a four speed auto.

I owned an '89 Civic with a 4 speed auto and it was horrible, but the 4 speed auto in my '15 Scion is pretty much perfect, I don't know exactly which iteration it is or which design it's based off of but must be over time they refined and perfected it. I actually prefer it to the manual in these cars which is not a good feeling manual at all, the auto and 2.4 configuration doesn't get great mileage either (23mpg city) but it's bullet proof and drives great so I'll take that trade off.

After driving some of these lovely CVTs out there I'm glad my car doesn't have one.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I have no complaints with the 4 speed auto in my 05 Vibe. Probably the same one Toyota used in everything else in that era.

To be honest other than the lack of OD, the 3 speed auto in my 92 Tercel was just fine for what it was.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

opengl128 posted:

I have no complaints with the 4 speed auto in my 05 Vibe. Probably the same one Toyota used in everything else in that era.

To be honest other than the lack of OD, the 3 speed auto in my 92 Tercel was just fine for what it was.

What were speed limits around you? I was still driving a Toyota 3 speed 5 years ago and it was really unpleasant on 75mph Texas highways.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Toyota/Aisin is the biggest maker of automatic transmissions in the world, their transmissions are fine. Most people in the world have no problem with automatic transmissions and aren't shocked that their transmissions are fine because they're not constantly buying American cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
on the other hand i have driven subaru automatic transmissions and they are poo poo

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

on the other hand i have driven subaru automatic transmissions and they are poo poo

In what way?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

well the biggest problem was the 4EAT breaking all the time, but the one I drove hooked in to a 2003 Forester hunted for gears all the time and was reluctant to kick down

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Throatwarbler posted:

Toyota/Aisin is the biggest maker of automatic transmissions in the world, their transmissions are fine. Most people in the world have no problem with automatic transmissions and aren't shocked that their transmissions are fine because they're not constantly buying American cars.

Most people in the world aren't driving 300+ hp engines shoehorned in front of transmissions operating on the ragged edge of their realistic ratings.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Almost every non Toyota automatic transmission I've had problems with pretty much, whether it was unreliable, drove like poo poo or both.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Almost every non Toyota automatic transmission I've had problems with pretty much, whether it was unreliable, drove like poo poo or both.
Never had issues with Mercedes or BMW auto transmissions over several years of ownership and I'd like to think I'm picky. Mercedes in particular has been stellar. My brand new Mazda3 on the other hand slips annoyingly in lower gears

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

ZF 8HP is very good

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KillHour posted:

That's not a new problem. What do you do if your 50's jag needs a new part? You hope you can find one on a dusty shelf somewhere and pay out the nose for it. Old cars are rare and expensive because the parts aren't around to keep them all running.

If anything, it's getting easier now because there are more options for manufacturing small-run items that don't rely on finding some supremely skilled greybeard who worked on them when new. Model it in CAD (maybe even start with a 3D scan if you're feeling fancy). Then depending on what the end use case is, maybe you send the files off to get CNC machined by someone, maybe you 3D print it and do some finishing work to the print and use the print, maybe you start with a 3D print and use that to make a casting.

got off on a technicality posted:

Never had issues with Mercedes or BMW auto transmissions over several years of ownership and I'd like to think I'm picky. Mercedes in particular has been stellar. My brand new Mazda3 on the other hand slips annoyingly in lower gears

Mercedes automatics are indeed a thing of beauty. Fun fact about a good chunk of BMW automatics: They're GM transmissions.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

IOwnCalculus posted:

If anything, it's getting easier now because there are more options for manufacturing small-run items that don't rely on finding some supremely skilled greybeard who worked on them when new. Model it in CAD (maybe even start with a 3D scan if you're feeling fancy). Then depending on what the end use case is, maybe you send the files off to get CNC machined by someone, maybe you 3D print it and do some finishing work to the print and use the print, maybe you start with a 3D print and use that to make a casting.

Mercedes automatics are indeed a thing of beauty. Fun fact about a good chunk of BMW automatics: They're GM transmissions.

When was the last time BMW used a GM transmission—2006? These days they’re petty much all using the ZF 8HP. Which is also used by Ram, Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, Audi, Alfa Romeo, and others. It’s the best gearbox on the planet.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

The Mercedes 722.6 in my E55 was ok. It was slow responding to the paddles and throttle input. The revision of that transmission that I had in my 2012 Challenger SRT8 392 was programmed worlds better, and there are conversion TCU boxes to help fix the Mercedes units. The GM 6L80 on my Escalade had garbage programming so I bought HPTuners to fix it. It was fantastic after that. No hunting, no hesitating on downshift, but it took tweaking to get just right. I had to floor it for more than one second for it to downshift stock, and that’s dangerous. It went from bog city to a double downshift into drift mode due to the locking differential.

The transmission in my 2013 Ford F-150 is the best stock automatic I’ve ever experienced, and is even better after tuning. Sometimes you have to DIY a solution.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

drgitlin posted:

When was the last time BMW used a GM transmission—2006? These days they’re petty much all using the ZF 8HP. Which is also used by Ram, Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, Audi, Alfa Romeo, and others. It’s the best gearbox on the planet.

I agree, but these days I feel the problem is all software and not hardware.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

What were speed limits around you? I was still driving a Toyota 3 speed 5 years ago and it was really unpleasant on 75mph Texas highways.

Like I said fine other than lack of OD. Highway wasn't pleasant so I usually kept it around 65mph, which IIRC was barely under 3k RPM in that car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

drgitlin posted:

For the 6 speed they started using the GM unit in 2007 for some 3 series. Don't know about the other models. So probably to 2012/13 for that one, but couldn't find exactly when they stopped so I'm just guessing when the E90 ended.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wallaka posted:

I agree, but these days I feel the problem is all software and not hardware.

Yeah, in the current crop of 6+ speed automatics, this is very much the case. Also, properly done computer controlled automatics can do all kinds of fun poo poo. I love the programming on the 6L50 in my Canyon, and the computer makes big changes when you're hauling a trailer.

Depending on the engine and chassis pairing, 4-speed and 5-speed automatics have other problems. Ignoring the propensity to go from PRNDL to PNNNN, the 4L60E's gigantic 1-2 gear spread wasn't great with a V8, and got even worse when paired with an engine like the 4.2L Atlas. I felt like the 5-speed automatic in my '13 CR-V had a similar issue in the 2-3 area. You could stomp on it at near-highway speeds and if you were slow enough to get a kickdown to second gear, it'd get up and go. If you were going just a bit too fast, you'd be stuck in third at relatively low RPMs for a K-series and it just felt like you were going nowhere. Also, t:mad: at the Honda engineers who decided you didn't need to be able to select fourth gear - only the option to disable OD which locks out fourth and fifth. Going up I17, third gets the job done with the engine screaming away, leaving OD on has the transmission hunting nonstop.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

wallaka posted:

The Mercedes 722.6 in my E55 was ok. It was slow responding to the paddles and throttle input. The revision of that transmission that I had in my 2012 Challenger SRT8 392 was programmed worlds better, and there are conversion TCU boxes to help fix the Mercedes units. The GM 6L80 on my Escalade had garbage programming so I bought HPTuners to fix it. It was fantastic after that. No hunting, no hesitating on downshift, but it took tweaking to get just right. I had to floor it for more than one second for it to downshift stock, and that’s dangerous. It went from bog city to a double downshift into drift mode due to the locking differential.

The transmission in my 2013 Ford F-150 is the best stock automatic I’ve ever experienced, and is even better after tuning. Sometimes you have to DIY a solution.

The transmission is the worst part of the E55 drivetrain IMO, not in terms of reliability or durability because it can handle a lot of power but it makes the car feel dated compared to anything with the ubiquitous ZF 8 speed or the newer 7-speed AMG MCTs. Shifts in my 2010 E63 are lightning quick compared to my old E55.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If only transmission programming wasn't often set up the way it is to game a certain test...

Wait, I mean: only VW would do such a heinous thing. It would be super unethical, after all.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

PT6A posted:

If only transmission programming wasn't often set up the way it is to game a certain test...

Wait, I mean: only VW would do such a heinous thing. It would be super unethical, after all.

lol.

That is QUITE the strawman.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

PT6A posted:

Transmissions are set up to either game EPA or 0-60 times, or both in some cases. Why do you think manual transmissions have gear lockouts and at most two gears to get to 60 mph? Many cars would be better suited with a closer gear ratio, but I can think of very few that use one.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm glad that someone on the internet is finally standing up for *check notes* the surviving family and estate of Ferdinand Porsche and the Emir of Qatar.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
what a stupid loving gimmick

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

what a stupid loving gimmick

i dont even think its a gimmick tbh

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm glad that someone on the internet is finally standing up for *check notes* the surviving family and estate of Ferdinand Porsche and the Emir of Qatar.

don't forget 8 million Lower Saxons!!!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Speaking of transmission chat, are any of the CVTs that a Honda fit comes with, in any generation, considered a problem? I mean, I generally think they're considered fine, at least mechanically, in the current gen, but has that always been the case?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

First and second generation had a normal torque converter 5 speed, it's been fine for my 2010 so far, haven't heard about any issues. No idea about the CVT in the third generation though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i dont even think its a gimmick tbh

It's not. Either designing the car to have an advantage during the test based on knowledge of the testing cycle is okay, or it's not. I don't see the fact that VW went a little further than everyone else in doing that to have a bearing on the morality of what they did.

I think it's stupid to let the engineers know exactly the test they need to perform well at in general, and it's wrong to then adjust qualities of the car specifically to that test, but everyone does it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

This is like "they all take steroids so we should just have an all drug league" level of take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
So you're saying the following two things are equivalent:

1.) Programming a transmission to behave a certain way because it's beneficial in fuel mileage testing, but the transmission always behaves that way. A car is always going to get different mileage depending on how you drive it, what else are they supposed to optimize it for?

2.) Programming your engine control computer to recognize the emissions testing cycle and alter its behavior in order to pass that test, the engine does not behave this way at any other time. The rest of the time it's spewing out 30x the garbage it's legally allowed to. This isn't optimization, it's cheating.

You cannot, possibly, believe these are remotely (ethically) equivalent things. You cannot conceivably be that stupid, there's no loving way.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 5, 2020