Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Agreed, I am now a posting physician

ah, dr bad postman of dead gay forums memorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

my bony fealty posted:

my hand converts power into motion when jackin it. im a cum engineer.

You should become a cum scientist

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Marx Headroom posted:

many so-called engineers rarely if ever touch an engine

an can engine can be defined as many things. for instance as an industrial engineer the engines I work with most often are the "forces of production" that turn one thing into another; much like an engine turns gas into kinetic driving power labor turns materials/tools into value.

blatman posted:

I feel like you shouldn't be allowed to use the title "engineer" unless you're flying trains

edit: good lord like 87 people beat me to the exact same point in the time it took me to hit reply, tab out, take a bite of beans, tab back in, hit play on youtube then hit post

One of the reason why the term engineer and trains are so interlinked is a train engine is a very complex piece of machinery with a lot of different interacting systems that need to be taken into account when designing. The reason why programmers are kinda hard to define as engineers is every programming job is different and thus would need to be evaluated on a case by case basis.

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
more context, lol of course it's Brown County:

https://twitter.com/CharlesPPierce/status/1257708441738641410

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

shovelbum posted:

tell us, who IS an engineer

People who hold a PE

hopefully California gets the industry exemption struck down and we can start fining people who steal valor from the more prestigious, more rigorous professions again

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I've run the appropriate diagnostics

*writes you a prescription that says 'turn off your monitor'*

monitor, power thyself

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Now theoretically...

what would happen if you just got a bunch of covid patients and had them breathe/cough as close as they can to the hvac systems in these fuckers houses

e: I am not suggesting anyone do this or commit any crimes/attempt to harm public officials this is a humorous hypothetical about their desire to murder people by forcing them to work

Good Soldier Svejk has issued a correction as of 18:24 on May 5, 2020

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I am legit worried about what America is going to look like in 5 years (also 5 weeks this is the shittiest speedrun)

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

People who hold a PE

hopefully California gets the industry exemption struck down and we can start fining people who steal valor from the more prestigious, more rigorous professions again

So a ship or train engineer isn't entitled to their centuries old title?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

shovelbum posted:

So a ship or train engineer isn't entitled to their centuries old title?

Nope, deal with it boat boy

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is what the hideous feral oval office who thinks meat packing plant workers aren't real people looks like

https://twitter.com/rconniff/status/1257709185451659271

what a shrivelled up useless bitch

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

henceforth the only person qualified to hold the title of "engineer" is Chief of Operations Miles Edward "My Wife is a Banshee" O'Brien

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Now theoretically...

what would happen if you just got a bunch of covid patients and had them breathe/cough as close as they can to the hvac systems in these fuckers houses

you'll get banned for even suggesting it lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zberan Madowinty posted:

you'll get banned for even suggesting it lol

To suggest that the rich be forced to breathe the same air as the poor?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Now theoretically...

So...can the governor compel the SC back to their offices\work if they rule against this?

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Zberan Madowinty posted:

this is what the hideous feral oval office who thinks meat packing plant workers aren't real people looks like

Let me guess, the employees are mostly non white and the county is mostly white

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

To suggest that the rich be forced to breathe the same air as the poor?

some dude got permaed for saying he wish he had the rona so he could go to one of the protest and just cough at everyone

Zberan Madowinty
Dec 7, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mrs. Dash posted:

Let me guess, the employees are mostly non white and the county is mostly white

got it in one!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

mrmcd posted:

I keep remembering about how NYC had trucks of rotting corpses stacked like cordwood and it was like, a 4 hour news story.

crack

ping.

Someone needs to contact Wendy's I think we got a solution that'll help both the funeral home and them.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

haha nice, this guy is one of the most powerful people in his state, and in fact the country. nice heh

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

good thing regular folks can't catch diseases from meat packers

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
Can the governor pull a jackson and dare the court to enforce their ruling?

Can he mobilize the national guard and shell their building to let them know who's in charge?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zberan Madowinty posted:

some dude got permaed for saying he wish he had the rona so he could go to one of the protest and just cough at everyone

I feel like my hypothetical is in a slightly different spirit than that

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

Can he mobilize the national guard and shell their building to let them know who's in charge?

He could. Main risk is the leg kicking him out of his seat and the national guard refusing to follow his orders

he's a democrat, so he wont do it even if he knew it would work

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zberan Madowinty posted:

I live 2 blocks from this plant btw

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Aren't there like formal emergency powers allowing for this stuff in black and white? Is that what's getting judicial reviewed or is it just the executive orders?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Meat Shortage May

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
BOUBLE STACKS

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Bc like a formal ban on ever having emergency powers is such a huge shift that it has strategic deterrence implications

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

THERE IS A MEAT

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Over 1.2k deaths by noon but don't worry, trust the cubic fit!

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouseCEA/status/1257680258364555264?s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

shovelbum posted:

Aren't there like formal emergency powers allowing for this stuff in black and white? Is that what's getting judicial reviewed or is it just the executive orders?

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/5/21246697/republican-lawsuit-wisconsin-stay-at-home-legislature-palm

quote:

The immediate question in Wisconsin Legislature is whether the head of the state’s health agency, Andrea Palm, exceeded her authority when she ordered “nonessential” businesses closed within the state and instructed most people in Wisconsin to remain at home — an order that was initiated on March 24 and then extended on April 16.

But the case threatens much more than a single order that Palm handed down to deal with a single emergency. Among other things, the Republican legislature asks the Republican state Supreme Court to permanently strip Palm — and anyone else who holds her job in the future — of much of their ability to swiftly respond to a public health emergency.

Under the legislature’s proposed framework, the state’s health agency would be stripped of its authority to issue broad public health orders like the state’s stay-at-home order, unless it completed a lengthy process that takes two or three weeks at a minimum. Then, the GOP-controlled legislature also seeks the power to “delay or suspend” Palm’s public health order after the state health department finally completes this process.

You can see the problem with this process: Give a pandemic two or three weeks to spread unchecked and any public health order the legislature approves would be too late.

quote:

This distinction between “rules” and “orders” matters because the process for handing down a new rule is extraordinarily onerous. Even under an expedited process permitted for “emergency” rules, a state agency must first draft a “statement of the scope of the proposed emergency rule.” That statement then must be reviewed and approved by the governor and the state Department of Administration, and then it must be published in an official state publication that only publishes once a week.

Then, after the statement is published, the agency must complete a 10-day waiting period before it is allowed to move forward, with no apparent way to waive this requirement. And then the rule can be delayed even longer if certain legislative leaders require the agency to hold a public hearing on the new rule. And then the new rule can potentially be suspended by a legislative committee — which may require the agency to start this process all over again.

So, if the state’s stay-at-home order is designated as a “rule,” that means the order is unlawful unless Palm completes a weeks-long process and then gives Republicans in the state legislature an effective veto power over her order.

Palm’s brief, meanwhile, makes the case that her stay-at-home order is merely an “order” and not a “rule.” Among other things, she argues that the stay-at-home order “is not of ‘general application’ because it responds only to a specific, limited-in-time scenario” — that is, to qualify as a “rule,” the stay-at-home order would need to lay down lasting restrictions that extend beyond the coronavirus pandemic.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

cops and state troopers would call his bluff and ask him to enforce his stay at home orders. law enforcement is chuds, and not just any chuds, but constitution loving, small government, anti tyranny, prepper chuds. theyre in the prime Open Up demographic.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

eric ciaramella posted:

cops and state troopers would call his bluff and ask him to enforce his stay at home orders. law enforcement is chuds, and not just any chuds, but constitution loving, small government, anti tyranny, prepper chuds. theyre in the prime Open Up demographic.

The military is a lot less chuddy I think, not that that's a high bar vs cops

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

ShutteredIn posted:

Ad tech is falling off a cliff currently

good. gently caress google and facebook

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
B-b-b-but what about the rules?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

B-b-b-but what about the rules?

Banning disaster response encourages the hell out of countervalue strikes even in scenarios where they wouldn't normally be the first resort bc you're giving your strategic foes an immense force multiplier lmao

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

MaxxBot posted:

Over 1.2k deaths by noon but don't worry, trust the cubic fit!

https://twitter.com/WhiteHouseCEA/status/1257680258364555264?s=19

got drat we are never going to recover from Trunl and his admin to just openly debasing facts and logic and everyone outside of politics is getting a turbo lesson that straight up grift is king and gently caress any supposed barrier to entries (lobby, donations, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Ohios doing something lovely (again).

Anyone who uses this is a cop:

https://twitter.com/ChrisOpfer/status/1257645828102995970