Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

dirksteadfast posted:

My father-in-law helped with a lot of remodeling of our house (which I am grateful for), but doesn’t live in a city with the multi garbage can thing. So every other month I’d see the garbage men dump our stuff, then stop and get out of the truck with a clipboard to write something down and it’s like “Oh good, I guess the utility bill will be a bit higher this month”.
Ooh, is that what they're doing? Do you really get charged extra?

Here each household gets one trash bin by default that gets forklifted up and emptied into the garbage truck every week. Occasional extra bags of trash on the curb are okay--think Christmas wrapping paper or post cookout refuse--but if you're regularly overflowing your bin, you need to order a bigger one (or possibly even multiples).

Our neighbor (the one with the loving van outside that hasn't moved since January at the latest) has five to eight bonus bags of trash beside his bin every week, making someone get out of the truck, scribble something on a clipboard, and manually chuck in the bags. Every week. I would love if he was getting fined or charged extra for his bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Yeah, overweight cans or improper mixing (at least egregious enough that it’s noticeable when dumping from the can) result I an extra fine or surcharge. Not an end of the world scenario, but it’s so easily avoided.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
For reasons involving greed I have 6 calenders in my home

I curse myself for doing this to myself at the start of every month

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Bomrek posted:

For reasons involving greed I have 6 calenders in my home

I curse myself for doing this to myself at the start of every month

Similarly: how many clocks are in an average home, when daylight saving time comes and goes (though at least a lot of them update themselves now)

e: vvv parking lights are for street parking in unlit areas, so you can light up your side markers near the road and people don't run into you. I had to look it up because of how rarely used it is these days. In my car it's like three steps to turn on so you can't do it by accident.

Whiz Palace has a new favorite as of 21:41 on May 5, 2020

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I've been driving my car for five years, and like most modern cars it has lots of nice sensors and alerts which prevent you from doing stupid poo poo.

The one exception to this is the 'parking light', a feature which I have never deliberately used and which has caused me to drain the battery and gently caress myself over more times than I can count.

The light is activated if you turn on an indicator and then park and switch off your engine. If you park on the street, then this is a pretty common occurance.

The light stays on, and will literally not turn off until the battery is completely drained. Why does this feature exist? Why doesn't it tell me I've left the light on? It manages to tell me when I have less pressure in my tyres, when a service is due, when oil is low. Just not when I perform an incredibly innocuous action to turn on an incredibly innocuous light.

gently caress you, car.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

no one should ever bother you in the shower for any reason other than the house burning down or something

i'm not taking too long, you don't need to brush your teeth while i'm in there, i won't turn off the water so i can hear your question through the door, just leave me alone in this beautiful private space for 15 minutes

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Shibawanko posted:

no one should ever bother you in the shower for any reason other than the house burning down or something

i'm not taking too long, you don't need to brush your teeth while i'm in there, i won't turn off the water so i can hear your question through the door, just leave me alone in this beautiful private space for 15 minutes

If I take a shower or bath it's apparently the "everybody else needs to poop" signal

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My roommate is probably my second favorite person in the world and the next place we get together will have two bathrooms if humanly possible.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

docbeard posted:

My roommate is probably my second favorite person in the world and the next place we get together will have two bathrooms if humanly possible.

:yeah:

Two bathrooms is worth it.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Shibawanko posted:

I'd contribute the legal maximum to your campaign if you ran on this platform.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shibawanko posted:

Kindred spirits, you and I. I feel exactly the same way. My grandpa's bedroom is right next to the bathroom I shower in, and I wait until he goes to sleep to shower every night because his TV is right against the wall. The LAST thing I want to hear while I'm trying to chill out is the low murmur of advertisement after advertisement.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

My pet peeve is American Pie, the song. Not because it's a bad song, it's not, but I'm done with it. Every time it's played in front of two or more people, at least one of them will sing along really badly and holy lol it has about a million verses.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah that and every single Neil Diamond song

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Whiz Palace posted:

Similarly: how many clocks are in an average home, when daylight saving time comes and goes (though at least a lot of them update themselves now)

One day I'm going to have a room in my house full of clocks, all set to different times, but none of them at the correct time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah that and every single Neil Diamond song

CRACKLIN ROSIE MAKE ME SMILE

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The Mighty Moltres posted:

One day I'm going to have a room in my house full of clocks, all set to different times, but none of them at the correct time.

At least four of them will be cuckoo clocks.
One grandfather clock, which won't actually work.
And an egg timer permanently set to beep every night at, oh I don't know, 2:17am?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

gently caress dongles

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I went for a bike ride tonight, and ran into three people I used to work with.
Not literally ran into, you know what I mean.
Quentin invited me to party at his house, a couple of blocks away.
Debbie asked me how I'm doing.
Jeff told me about a police roadblock from where they came, which didn't exist.

It's been probably two years since I worked with these people, and when I did, I often overheard them talking about parties they were having.
I was never invited back then, but apparently now I am welcome.
I don't know if I should go, or just stay at home

Like should I go and see how many people remember me, or should I just say gently caress it, they're not worth my time?

I already know what I'm going to do.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I went for a bike ride tonight, and ran into three people I used to work with.
Not literally ran into, you know what I mean.
Quentin invited me to party at his house, a couple of blocks away.
Debbie asked me how I'm doing.
Jeff told me about a police roadblock from where they came, which didn't exist.

It's been probably two years since I worked with these people, and when I did, I often overheard them talking about parties they were having.
I was never invited back then, but apparently now I am welcome.
I don't know if I should go, or just stay at home

Like should I go and see how many people remember me, or should I just say gently caress it, they're not worth my time?

I already know what I'm going to do.

Go wearing the Moltres outfit that James is wearing in you avatar. Crash the party in style! Maybe even bring a plus 1 and do the full Motto on arrival.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
isn't there still a pandemic happening?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

InediblePenguin posted:

Not in America, where Trump singlehandedly cured it through the power of MAGA!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

InediblePenguin posted:

Yes, and?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

InediblePenguin posted:

No, it’s a liberal Bill Gates conspiracy to sell you vaccines that track you as they are the mark of the beast.
Or something like that. 5G is involved somewhere.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

and this dude is throwing a fuckin house party lmao

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

InediblePenguin posted:

and this dude is throwing a fuckin house party lmao

He's probably from Georgia

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I hear an ice cream truck. Yesterday we had record breaking cold.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

When my sister is driving and she gets annoyed at somebody going way too slow, she calls them a "doctor third spinner". I've tried to tell her this isn't a real turn of phrase, but she is completely convinced I am gaslighting her. Yes, this comes up often.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Permission fatigue, I am getting so loving tired of having to micromanage every single entity trying to get access to this or that information, because basically never are you told what they'll be doing with it, or if it's at all necessary.
And to make it more annoying they always bundle a couple innocent looking demands alongside one where you have no idea what they'll actually be grabbing for.
Every single loving time I see a permissions question pop up I want to deny everything instinctively. And then even the most insignificant things are suddenly 'but thou must'.

Why can't I just set a loving baseline, where apps/sites/etc only have to ask for permissions outside of my established rules.

One of the recent free games on the EGS ran foul of this, Death Coming. Started it up, and it immediately spawned a chrome tab with a permissions screen.
For: Share your display name, language preferences, and linked account display names with this application.
Where the first 2 seem like something it should in no way need to ask for, and the latter something it has no reason to ask for.

Predictably, denying this makes the game shut down, instead of just say, disabling the leaderboards or whatever might rely on the permissions.

I guess a branch-peeve of this is the whole 'my way or the highway' where sites and apps have no fallback if you refuse certain permissions, because they're not obligated to.
Even though they're in general not at all critical, and should be opt-in components inside a game.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Dip Viscous posted:

When my sister is driving and she gets annoyed at somebody going way too slow, she calls them a "doctor third spinner". I've tried to tell her this isn't a real turn of phrase, but she is completely convinced I am gaslighting her. Yes, this comes up often.

this is hilarious thank you

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I don't get it, I keep trying to say it out loud hoping it'll click

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My roommate takes freaking forever to do anything. For example it took her what seemed like 20 minutes to get a slice of pizza. She can't just go get a slice or two and put it on the plate, she's gotta get more ice, check the front door, and wash who knows what in the sink first. Then babe finally gets a piece, sits down and takes a bite before deciding she needs to get sour cream, and then she takes another 20 minutes of doing who knows what.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

When songs have long silence at the end.

That's almost a minute of nothingness here wtf?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sininu posted:

When songs have long silence at the end.

That's almost a minute of nothingness here wtf?

It’s a legitimate musical technique. You have to listen to the notes they’re NOT playing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Either it's the last song before the bonus track or at the end of an album, or your favorite artist decided to do an impromptu rendition of 4'33''

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I am pretty sure I have talked about it before, but in case I have not. It really grinds my gears whenever you are on the internet and you need some advice on something. "What can I do to get good at X", or "How can I do X more efficiently". So the correct way to help someone on the internet is to correct them if they are about to do something really hosed up or dangerous like putting your balls on fire. However, if this does not apply, don't come with your loving non-advice which no matter how nicely it is phrased basically boils down to:

You think you do, but you don't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuOYmqSF6OQ

"You wouldn't even wanna do X, do Y instead".

gently caress YOU! I already decided what I wanted with my brain and then I used my brain to write the words down and post it. Just the fact that I decided that I want it is enough to make me want it. Anything else is the wrong opinion in my subjective mind. You literally cannot share my brain and consciousness and have no say on the matter.

The thing that makes it more infuriating is you cannot even call anyone out on this BS because most of the time it comes from a genuine place and their advice is not technically wrong either, but that obviously doesn't make it any less infuriating. So instead you rant about it on a dead gay forum.

Midig has a new favorite as of 23:30 on May 13, 2020

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I think the way my wife loads the dishwasher is some kind of elaborate long form psychological torture she’s designed just for me. She doesn’t make use of all the space available, she stacks things the wrong way up so they’ll fill up with water during the cycle, she puts things in which are caked with huge lumps of food which are obviously gonna end up covering everything else. Then the stuff which doesn’t end up clean, she just puts through again and again indefinitely until I wash it up. Come on, man :(

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Does she put the first dishes in the front of the racks?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My roommate somehow fits three loads of dishes into one dishwasher. I don't understand how she does it, and it drives me nuts because none of it fits the way it's intended to.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

My husband is bad at loading the dishwasher too because infuriatingly he leaves dirty dishes on top of the counter above the dishwasher rather than actually putting them in it.
Still, when he does put stuff in I end up having to rearrange it anyway because it’s in the wrong place or stacked badly, or even it’s something that shouldn’t be in there in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'd occasionally read tweets/posts/whatever from people who don't think dishwashers get dishes clean(so they'd basically wash their dishes before putting them in the dishwasher to wash the dishes again), and was confused every time.

Now I realize that apparently a lot of people are just bad at dishwashers.