Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

I think it was funnier during the Blair years in the same way that David Davis was a voice of reason during the Blair years. Any incidental strengths about mocking governance work a lot better when the government is doing authoritarian surveillance state poo poo and warmongering than not doing anything at all and killing people that way.

e: ^^ Or that.

I think the show jumped the shark when Deayton got busted for hookers & coke. He was a solid part of the formula & the refusal to even attempt to replace him & just lurch into the lovely guest host eternity was a shite decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I think, as other posters have said, the existence of twitter has basically destroyed any value HIGNFY ever had.

Unless, that is, you are like my parents (in their sixties) who don't use social media or go on YouTube, so all hot takes and viral vids are brand new and hilarious.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
TV used to also make half hearted attempts at courting viewers under the age of 50

Now they just don't care, gave up and it's full on grannyvision 24/7

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
HIGNFY is currently a more effective opposition than Labour.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Ian Hislop for chief frensicist

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

forkboy84 posted:

I think the show jumped the shark when Deayton got busted for hookers & coke. He was a solid part of the formula & the refusal to even attempt to replace him & just lurch into the lovely guest host eternity was a shite decision.

A decision which indirectly lead to Johnson becoming our current PM.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Red Oktober posted:

It may have been Deayton's coke habit hit the papers but it's Our Drugs Hell now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Red Oktober posted:

And yet Victoria Coren Mitchell still wields no power. :(

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/journokatie/status/1257705531642429444

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

state media of hermit kingdom refuses to discuss plague fatalities

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
if I drink a beer that's a year past its sell by date am I going to die

it looks a bit cloudy if that changes anything

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

XMNN posted:

You were never a uni student I take it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
prolly gonna be a bit skunked but like, you can drink it and probably not die for sure.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

XMNN posted:

It'll just taste mildly poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

XMNN posted:

Yes, but it probably won't be related to whether you drink the beer or not.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What the gently caress lmao.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it tastes completely fine surprisingly, will let you know if I die

it's from one of those multi packs of mediocre beer that people who don't know what to get you for Christmas always seem to buy. I never get round to drinking them because normally I would go down the shop and get something I actually wanted to drink, but that's way more of a faff than risking death/disappointment by gone off beer right now

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

At least everyone is in a car right? Right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

XMNN posted:

it tastes completely fine surprisingly, will let you know if I die

it's from one of those multi packs of mediocre beer that people who don't know what to get you for Christmas always seem to buy. I never get round to drinking them because normally I would go down the shop and get something I actually wanted to drink, but that's way more of a faff than risking death/disappointment by gone off beer right now

I've given a couple of those but I just buy actual beers off the shelf and tie them together with ribbon and then stuff some money in the middle.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

HJB posted:

HIGNFY is currently a more effective opposition than Labour.

Same as it ever was

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Prof Neal Ferguson has had to resign cos he was having a lady round to his house. Oops!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

The Perfect Element posted:

Prof Neal Ferguson has had to resign cos he was having a lady round to his house. Oops!

I thought that was ok now so long as they stayed at least 3 days?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

OwlFancier posted:

I've given a couple of those but I just buy actual beers off the shelf and tie them together with ribbon and then stuff some money in the middle.

oh I've got no problem with beer as a present, especially actually nice beer, and I appreciate the thought even if it's mediocre, but I would never normally choose to drink e.g. ruddles and the fact that it's a present doesn't really factor in to that decision

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

The press seems to have been holding onto the story to release it today, the day we have the highest death toll in Europe.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
gently caress me lads, say what you want about mao and/or china's present direction but this old school propaganda song absolutely slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REHaLJdTBMc

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You were never a uni student I take it.

as if any student would let a beer get a year out of date

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

as if any student would let a beer get a year out of date

Oh, no, that's how out of date it was when you bought it from the offie. How else were we meant to afford so much?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Oh, no, that's how out of date it was when you bought it from the offie. How else were we meant to afford so much?

I'd have taken a hundred year old beer over the plastic bottle of White Ace I drank in a day as an undergrad :barf:

e: £3.99 for a 3 litre bottle of the stuff back then apparently, 7.5%, makes sense lol

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 5, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The poo poo historian who is a walking advert for shutting down fee paying schools or the epidemiologist? (Neither of whom spell their name Neal. One is Niall & the other Neil.)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Alec_Eiffel85/status/1257755743517900800?s=19

Lol

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The daily mail informs me she is a left wing campaigner and lives in a 1.9m pound house.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I really really wish that Johnson had died of COVID 19.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

namesake posted:

I really really wish that Johnson had died of COVID 19.

Another bastard cheated death and we stay on the bad timeline :smith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can definitely make a compelling argument that him dying of it is the most useful contribution he could make.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/L__Macfarlane/status/1257724980747476997

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Love to say I'm surprised at the lows the press can sink to, but

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1257769588411908096

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Love to say I'm surprised at the lows the press can sink to, but

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1257769588411908096

Personally i can't fault China for keeping an eye on what the UK is doing with drugs.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

BBC News at 10 headline: "Italy used to have the most deaths in Europe, but Health Secretary Dominic Raab says that international comparisons are not helpful"

They added in the missing piece in the actual story but uuuhhhh that was a pretty glaring omission

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Not sure you should bin your head epidemiologist in the middle of a pandemic for a PR fuckup.

Considering he was one of the reasons we didn't do absolutely nothing and become a failed plague state, this is worrying. He isn't there to inform our big brained ministers that letting the NHS collapse isn't going to improve the economy. They need clever people to remember that hospital beds are not infact infinite.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 5, 2020

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/rishi-sunak-furlough-plans-coronavirus-a4432181.html

Aside from 'tories hate the poor' is there any reason for lowering the overall furlough rate rather than lowering the maximum rate?

If someone is getting £2500 from furlough then they will almost certainly have some savings to fall back on, but if lower waged people are put on to 60% then that raises a ton of issues like monthly bills won't be met and food needs won't be met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
"Keep number from going down."

The human cost doesn't exist for them. Ride out the "-20% unhappiness for Y months".