Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

To people checking out FF8 reminder that A.I. upscaling mods exist and make the backgrounds look fantastic.

I’m really curious about this. I looked into it once before, and it seemed like a real hassle. It looked like you had to source and replace background images individually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’m really curious about this. I looked into it once before, and it seemed like a real hassle. It looked like you had to source and replace background images individually?
If you wanted to do it yourself then yes, but there are usually replacement projects that bundle it for you. I know there are for the Resident Evil series, at any rate.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I initially slept on Pyre because the whole "sports game" gimmick didn't really appeal to me, but that was stupid, I liked it a lot and couldn't put it down when I started playing it. Music owns bones, which is no surprise for a supergiant game, obviously, and the gameplay is basically fantasy NBA jam, so that owns too.

I want so badly to like transistor but after 3 tries to get into it, I just don't like the combat at all. Maybe I'll try the homing missile thing and ignore planning too, because I really do want to see the game through, I just don't particularly enjoy playing it. I suppose there's always youtube, too.

Hades looks great and I hear nothing but praise for it, but I'm stubbornly waiting for it to come out of early access before I get invested in it.

Yeah, I just beat it, and still love it quite a lot. Especially as I started using Titan Stars, the basketball got INTENSE. The AI was able to set up moves, whip the ball around, etc etc. Really impressive and a real challenge. While the actual moves never got more complicated, I needed to better master them to succeed in a lot of the later fights, and it was super satisfying pulling off some real rear end in a top hat plays.

Still have a few complaints though that dragged it down. I felt they could have done a lot more with the Rites if they had dropped the upgrade mechanic and instead encouraged having multiple Talismans. There was this move a lot of the enemies did lategame of basically tossing the ball to my teammate, then instacasting an attack while I tried to attack them and now couldn't that caught me several times. Or the chaos dunk move the Demons could do, mixed with an instantly from behind Imp grabbing the ball and running off. I couldn't really play with any of that because I didn't buy those Talismans earlier.

I also kind of wish they leaned heavier into the failure aspect. There was basically 3 people that I felt needed to make it out of the Downside and everyone else basically didn't care at all. Jodariel would have been happy staying if Rukey/Hedwyn got out ( but had a better ending in the Commonwealth at least ). *ae never cared. Gilman never seemed to have any connection to anything. Pamitha just wanted her sister to get out, didn't care after that. Bertrude didn't care. Ti'zo didn't care. I reached a point where it stopped being big choices and instead it felt like if I had sent anybody else up it'd have actually been bad, because they were all happy in the Downside together and sending up one would have meant they'd have left their friends for nothing.

Also the fiddly "try and play the other Triumverates to face off against the ones you want." system really didn't work that well.

I'm not sure they really connected the two modes as well as I'd have liked. I wanted more sportsball with more stuff and more players, but that'd have taken away from the visual novel. But I also wanted a more complex visual novel with more choice/consequence but that would have taken away from the sportsball. Felt a bit more uneven then Bastion or Transistor in that right, where the core gameplay loop was far more entangled with the actual story. Still it worked well enough, and I do want to go back eventually and fiddle with a few things now to get a more "final" ending for my playthrough now that I know a few things. I wonder if I'd have liked the game a lot more if it was significantly longer, with more time for people to grow on you/expand on why it'd be best for them to go back, and more time to flesh out the actual play sessions.

The Liberation Rite song is gorgeous though, like all Supergiants music.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Rookersh posted:

I also kind of wish they leaned heavier into the failure aspect. There was basically 3 people that I felt needed to make it out of the Downside and everyone else basically didn't care at all. Jodariel would have been happy staying if Rukey/Hedwyn got out ( but had a better ending in the Commonwealth at least ). *ae never cared. Gilman never seemed to have any connection to anything. Pamitha just wanted her sister to get out, didn't care after that. Bertrude didn't care. Ti'zo didn't care. I reached a point where it stopped being big choices and instead it felt like if I had sent anybody else up it'd have actually been bad, because they were all happy in the Downside together and sending up one would have meant they'd have left their friends for nothing.
This is an incredibly important irony for building the theme up. The best candidates to send home from the Downside are the ones least likely to outwardly show they should go home from the Downside. Should they use their newfound zen center to live their best Downside life, or bring the enlightenment to the crumbling commonwealth? I didn't pick anyone because they are personally better off back home. I picked people who would fill the best holes in the commonwealth.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ulio posted:

As someone who played ff13, its still dogshit even with this minor clarification especially the story/world.

It’s not 13, it’s Lightning Returns.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

K8.0 posted:

Transistor is really a simple puzzle game, but it doesn't make that clear. The combat involves essentially zero skill, it's about using the right setup and winning for free. If you try to play it as an action game, it's totally unfun. Play to be cheesy and give it another shot, it has a really good story.

My personal ranking of Supergiant's games is Bastion >>> Hades=Transistor (Hades has better gameplay and a ton of character development, Transistor has a better story and a fantastic original concept) > Pyre (I played it for like an hour and never was interested in picking it up again).
You might have rose-tinted glasses on there with Bastion. I reinstalled last week on a lark, having plumbed Hades for all it currently has, and I was immediately stuck by how much less responsive the combat was, in addition to all the lovely quirks of the game forcibly removing&replacing your weapons mid-mission. Bastion is a classic and a titan of it's time when indie games where rare and Humble Indie Bundle was a force of GoodTM, but apart from it's charismatic narrator Hades is an iterative (and innovative) improvement in every way.

edit:

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hades looks great and I hear nothing but praise for it, but I'm stubbornly waiting for it to come out of early access before I get invested in it.
Smart.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 5, 2020

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It’s not 13, it’s Lightning Returns.

aren't they all 13

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

zedprime posted:

This is an incredibly important irony for building the theme up. The best candidates to send home from the Downside are the ones least likely to outwardly show they should go home from the Downside. Should they use their newfound zen center to live their best Downside life, or bring the enlightenment to the crumbling commonwealth? I didn't pick anyone because they are personally better off back home. I picked people who would fill the best holes in the commonwealth.

Which to me in a lot of ways is still the core four.

*ae is a really good choice cause she'll help center the Commonwealth around the Scribes again, but honestly gently caress the Scribes. Also she's never going to be as happy there as she would with Ti'zo, Pamitha, and Gilman.

Ti'zo is an Imp.

Gilman could do some work on the Wyrms, but that's frankly an entirely different can of worms, and I don't think he alone can fix their culture problems.

Pamitha and Tamitha shouldn't go back together, and Pamitha legitimately doesn't care as long as her sister makes it back. Her sister will mellow out and eventually reconcile with Pamitha if you have them fight a few times in the Downside. The opposite is very one way, with Pamitha/Hedwyn bringing the Harps closer to the rest of the Union, but also Tamitha suffering for eternity in the Downside.

Bertrude just wants to make sure Sandlewoods plan goes off. Afterwards is it really better for her to be up there with him? Nothing is ever going to happen. In the Downside she can at least help people.

Meanwhile Hedwyn fixes the Harp problem and gets to be with his girlfriend. Jodariel fixes a lot of the issues with community service/community. Rukey helps connect the Downside/Union. Sandlewood brings the various people together.

Like I want to change my playthrough a bit, but it's all minor stuff. I want to spend more time having Pamitha/Tamitha reconcile before I send Tamitha up. I want to lose to Oralech so I can convince him of the Plan and then send him up.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I can't find the thread for the Xbox Game Pass, has anyone else run into a problem where you just get a blank screen while trying to log in? I bought a month for Ori and can't interact with the app at all now since I can't log in.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Justin_Brett posted:

I can't find the thread for the Xbox Game Pass, has anyone else run into a problem where you just get a blank screen while trying to log in? I bought a month for Ori and can't interact with the app at all now since I can't log in.

Is Windows up to date? Gamepass can be really finicky unless you have the latest latest version installed. I've also had problems starting online matches with a VPN. This is what I did to get around it:

1. Right-click the Start button, and then select Device Manager.
2. Select View > Show Hidden Devices.
3. Select Network Adapters.
4. Identify any adapters that have a name like TAP-Windows. Right-click the adapter name, and then select Disable.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If I were to play Far Cry 5, how soon from the start of the game can I get a dog companion?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 5, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If I were to play Far Cry 5, what is the quickest path to getting a dog partner?

You can make a beeline for the pumpkin farm as soon as you do Dutch’s island, it’s like right next door.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

he said he wanted a dog partner, not a pumpkin!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cowcaster posted:

aren't they all 13

no you see you have Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, as Lightning Returns is the good one, it has distanced Final Fantasy, let alone its number, to subtitle status

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
They sell GM food, it is both for dogs and pumpkins.

But really, as soon as you get out of the intro, you can be at Ray-Rays and with your faithful dogger in half an hour, so about one and a half hours after you actually start the game. Yes, the intro section is obnoxiously long.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Justin_Brett posted:

Try logging in to the Microsoft store app instead. I was stuck in an infinite loading screen with the Xbox App and that fixed it.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Speaking of gamepass bugs, general warning: gamepass doesn't necessarily uninstall your games. I had finished the trial subscription, then uninstalled games then uninstalled gamepass. Recently I was doing some work with a lot of data and saw my storage getting full so I cleaned up my steam folder and still ended up with a full 200+ gigs unaccounted for.

Nothing showed up so I had to install a hard drive viewer and lo and behold there's all the Xbox gamespass stuff. Then I had to hack my own computer as Microsoft protects the folders even if you have administrator privelages. Some googling showed this was a somewhat common problem. It wasn't totally unsolvable but a huge pain in the rear end and something you don't notice for a long while if you have a larger hard drive.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Serephina posted:

You might have rose-tinted glasses on there with Bastion. I reinstalled last week on a lark, having plumbed Hades for all it currently has, and I was immediately stuck by how much less responsive the combat was, in addition to all the lovely quirks of the game forcibly removing&replacing your weapons mid-mission. Bastion is a classic and a titan of it's time when indie games where rare and Humble Indie Bundle was a force of GoodTM, but apart from it's charismatic narrator Hades is an iterative (and innovative) improvement in every way.

Honestly I despise a lot of the mechanical design in Hades. Like most 2d combat games it's ultimately too focused on an incredibly overpowered dodge that makes the combat get boring really quick to me. Bastion I loved every moment of, Hades by about 5 hours in I was sick of it and just playing to see the remaining content. Haven't even been slightly tempted to reinstall for new content because I can't stand the thought of actually playing it more to see the content. If you enjoy something like Gungeon I can see you absolutely loving Hades.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Det_no posted:

Try logging in to the Microsoft store app instead. I was stuck in an infinite loading screen with the Xbox App and that fixed it.

If you mean clicking 'launch' on its page on the store that gives me the same thing. I can log into their site just fine but if it's through an app, white screen every time.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Justin_Brett posted:

If you mean clicking 'launch' on its page on the store that gives me the same thing. I can log into their site just fine but if it's through an app, white screen every time.

No, I meant logging in to the Microsoft Store. If you are already logged in there then nevermind.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I was before without it changing anything, and after logging out as part of a supposed fix I can't log into that either, same issue. I really have no clue.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

aren't they all 13

No, they're actually all over a 1000 years old

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Samuringa posted:

Humble Sierra Bundle

$1:
Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned
Velocity 2X
TimeShift
Police Quest™ Collection

Beat The Average(Currently $7.56):
The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery
Phantasmagoria 2: A Puzzle of Flesh
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Caesar IV
Quest for Glory 1-5
Shiftlings

$12:
King's Quest - Season Pass
King's Quest® Collection
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father
Geometry Wars™ 3: Dimensions Evolved
Space Quest® Collection
Phantasmagoria
Caesar 3

This is a very good offer for a very specific kind of gamer

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
There's a lot of hours of gaming in that Sierra bundle. Holy poo poo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

drat, no kidding. It's not all adventure games, either. I think I might shell out for the top level just to get a full copy of Caesar III again, I haven't played that in years and years.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Pretty evil to put GK games there in a reverse order.

(Unlike most of Sierra's adventure games they are legit good)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

drat, no kidding. It's not all adventure games, either. I think I might shell out for the top level just to get a full copy of Caesar III again, I haven't played that in years and years.

You may be able to get it for cheaper by just buying it on GoG, unless there’s other bundle stuff you want.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Kennel posted:

FWIW that new King's Quest is good as well, so that's another plus for top tier-ing it.

Would also recommend Quest for Glory if you've never tried 'em, they hold up better than you'd think

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You may be able to get it for cheaper by just buying it on GoG, unless there’s other bundle stuff you want.
Oh, I'm sure I can, but this is really a very good deal and I am glad to finally have all that stuff all in the same place again. Thanks, though!

Man, The Beast Within is a great game. I've actually been to most of the places it used for in-game locations. Great fun to compare that to your memories of the game.

Oh, and a little PSA for people buying the bundle: the King's Quest season pass requires the free King's Quest remake that is available on Steam. Activate that for free and then activate the season pass, it'll refuse to go through otherwise.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is Harvest Moon: Light of Hope Special Edition any good? It looks like an ugly mobile game, but we're starting to run out of things to do in Stardew Valley so looking for something similar. Any other recommendations? (that are not Don't Starve, vanilla Minecraft, Terraria, or Animal Crossings)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

FuzzySlippers posted:

Is Harvest Moon: Light of Hope Special Edition any good?

short answer: no

longer answer: anything currently under the name "Harvest Moon" in this era is made by a western dev trying to capitalize on the trademark they used to localize the old games which has nothing to do with the real farm-sim dev team and tends to involve contractors who get kept around for two games tops and then canned for the next one to try shoveling poo poo out under the brand. (If you want the actual people who made those old games, seek Story of Seasons. I know the last one of those came to Steam.)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Kennel posted:

Is GK3 the one with the much-criticised cat hair moustache puzzle?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

seek Story of Seasons. I know the last one of those came to Steam.)

I'm surprised I've never heard of that. Looks really pretty, but unfortunately it's single player only. Looking for a multiplayer crafting/farming/whatever game for me and the wife that's cute and has some story/npc elements (so not pure sim).

I'm looking at Dragon Quest Builders 2 but the multiplayer sounds pretty limited? Anyone try?

Anyone try Garden Paws?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm looking at Dragon Quest Builders 2 but the multiplayer sounds pretty limited? Anyone try?

Based on the PS4 one, and I don't see it changing - once you finish the first... two? three? islands you can replace the AI companion with another player, over the internet only. No local co-op. It's not stellar.

edit \/\/: yeah, the game is great, but as a play with a partner title, nuh-uh

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 6, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

it is a fantastic game/builder in its own right though

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

FuzzySlippers posted:

I don't know about the multiplayer, but fwiw dq builders 2 is awesome even in single player and has a ton of content.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm surprised I've never heard of that. Looks really pretty, but unfortunately it's single player only. Looking for a multiplayer crafting/farming/whatever game for me and the wife that's cute and has some story/npc elements (so not pure sim).

This might seem obvious, but have you tried Stardew Valley?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Party Boat posted:

Is GK3 the one with the much-criticised cat hair moustache puzzle?

Yeah. It was pretty minor side puzzle that they added in a rush, but became the most famous part of the game (and genre), because it was so easy to ridicule (let's be honest, it's really stupid).

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

This might seem obvious, but have you tried Stardew Valley?

FuzzySlippers posted:

we're starting to run out of things to do in Stardew Valley so looking for something similar. Any other recommendations? (that are not Don't Starve, vanilla Minecraft, Terraria, or Animal Crossings)

Yep and we both loved it so looking for similar stuff.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Based on the PS4 one, and I don't see it changing - once you finish the first... two? three? islands you can replace the AI companion with another player, over the internet only. No local co-op. It's not stellar.

edit \/\/: yeah, the game is great, but as a play with a partner title, nuh-uh

This is on two PCs so over the internet is good, but you don't build anything together? You like go on missions or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah, you wouldn't be building "together" unless you both focus all your time and energy on one person's space. And I think it would leave P2 behind on experience if they weren't doing anything in their own world.