Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Sandwolf posted:

It’s not really a great move as a townie, if that’s what you are, to constantly describe D1 as a desert of content. How have you made it this far without any reads? I don’t think you’re scum cuz you took a similar line of logic in HP, but like, there’s a lot to go on out there. If you think DBD is town (and you appear to), who’s a better candidate to lunch today?
I do! I actually think Liger, Nad, and DBD are all town, because consider the situation we're in: with deadline bearing down, everyone's gonna shortly literally have to pick a bandwagon because it's a bandwagon and hop on while making votes they can simultaneously disavow, because no execution is worse. It's a scum dream scenario and they're letting us dangle like this because no matter who we hop on in the end they'll be able to pile on, vote out a townie, and have it be utterly defensible.

I'm going to offer an alternative, even though it is D1. Because I am nice.

How about varrinn, guys and gals?

Varinn posted:

Immediately busting your poo poo out and then backpedaling into "haha it was a joke, i'm like a ghost or a dog and just sort of do things randomly. im harmless!" is definitely a good way to play the game.

Unfortunately, it's not a good way to play if you're innocent of crimes. ##vote Amnistar
Immediately votes amni after the dayvig.

Varinn posted:

It was the immediate "oh, that was a random kill. there was no reason" post afterwards that seals it for me. trying to immediately disclaim any responsibility for "wasting" a kill.

Varinn posted:

it would've been infinitely more reassuring if the post afterwards had been "gently caress. i legit thought there was a chance he was scum. oh well lmao" like its still goofy but understandable (i would absolutely pop off with a daykill like that, its very funny)

but trying to distance yourself from it? nah
His defense of that vote contradicts itself. Is popping off with a dayvig a funny thing to do or a scumtell? If you'd do it yourself why are you voting him for it? How is "oh well lmao" not distancing yourself from it?

Varinn posted:

mafia never changes. we'll never be free of "actually, thinking thats suspicious is the TRULY suspicious thing." "aha, well thinking that thinking thats suspicious is even MORE truly suspicious!"

I do think this is absolutely possible, to be fair. im always open to having my mind changed, but this is the best, most suspicious lead i have
"oh wait guys never mind my vote or my case, nothing is truly ever knowable am I right, anyway I stand by my case unless I don't"

Apart from some white noise joking, that's it from him for two days. Then he shows up with a bunch of drive-by non-cases.

Varinn posted:

liger: Seems fine, actually. Prickly, but not desperate under fire. Also blue cheese and shoestring was the correct answer.

Varinn posted:

also anyone voting for jivjov should go hit the books. if you think you can get a good read on a new player on day one, please deduct a number or three from your mystery solving score

Varinn posted:

also, im holding a press conference to let everyone know i will NOT be reading the tom and andy skirmish. im cautiously walking in a big half circle around it and pretending i cant see it so i don't have to engage. who has time to read posts that big

Varinn posted:

Okay I finished reading.

-the liger votes are misplaced
-the zzyzx case is much better
-the DBD/Nad/Andy/Tom conflagration certainly has happened, itll be more fun to read later when or if one of them dies
-as established, jivjov gets a pass
-yumings case on hambeet is good as well
-I don't have much to say about KK than I did above, but that post still strikes me deeply
-by a metric i don't want to establish clearly, tom/amni/sandwolf have also pinged my radar. this wont and shouldnt affect my vote today, but it might 'tomorrow'. we'll see.

going to doublecheck zzyzzx and hambeet
Then he asks for a pet and goes away again. This is bad behavior and you should feel bad about it, varinn.

##vote varinn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

hambeet posted:

merk is pulling a long form version of “u mad?”

keane is reading 8 year old games to case someone

momentum is building on someone based on the idea that a scum player would bail as soon as they got the overwhelming heat of two votes.

This game is very entertaining.
And hambeet is not voting.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Keane, I understand why you’re annoyed that I’m boiling the case down to “lol 8 years,” but can you make that same case without pulling from those games?

You’re talking about how Voodoo is leaning on his meta, I agree that’s bad, but also he’s barely played in a long-loving-time. Maybe simple memory has become faulty (eight years). I don’t think it’s convincing to point at someone and say “Ha! That’s inconsistent with what you said eight years ago! And you leaning on it now as if it’s established fact is scummy!”

Because it’s been eight years.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

LordNad posted:

I'm here, I'm just in Japan but set an alarm specifically to be up and here before the deadline for discussion.

Looking back I don't like Kumba's vote or content.

Hmmm yes Very convincing

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

yuming posted:

If you want to make your case against me then go ahead and do it.

I'm not going to answer why-you-think-I'm-scum.

I am also going to workout now. ttyl thread.

I'm just asking you to explain your own thought process. You already explained why you don't think scum would fourth vote Amnistar but what you originally took objection to was hambeet and DBD questioning the first three votes.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

CCKeane posted:

Gut calls here, but I think yuming's points on Hambeet resonated a bit, and I do feel like somebody made some good points on Kumba.

Has anybody been tracking the pet status btw? I still haven't voted, I'd like to give a pet to yuming but if that's a lost cause then I'll check the vote leader situation.

You’ve probably just got gas

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Sandwolf posted:

Keane, I understand why you’re annoyed that I’m boiling the case down to “lol 8 years,” but can you make that same case without pulling from those games?

You’re talking about how Voodoo is leaning on his meta, I agree that’s bad, but also he’s barely played in a long-loving-time. Maybe simple memory has become faulty (eight years). I don’t think it’s convincing to point at someone and say “Ha! That’s inconsistent with what you said eight years ago! And you leaning on it now as if it’s established fact is scummy!”

Because it’s been eight years.

Right! But that's not the issue! I asked him why he thought a lurker execution would help the town, and he responded with:

Voodoofly posted:

How many games have you played with me???

So he's going to a meta reasoning here, right? But it's a defensive reasoning - Voodoofly is just saying that's what he does - and not a persuasive reasoning - that town would benefit from a lurker execution. When presenting with an opportunity to persuade me, he declined it and set himself up as that just being something he does.

Like, let's remove me calling him on his meta entirely.

Do you think that exchange is something town does?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

CCKeane posted:

It kind of feels like you're thinking more that yuming is scum because you got a negative reaction to your case on her, kind of strengthening your call there, would that be close to about where you are?

I wouldn't say I think she's scum because of it since I thought prior to it, but it does reinforce my opinion I had already. I don't know where I'd stand if something completely different happened, but probably still on yuming unless someone else did some way scummier poo poo. It's just weird how some people can completely see the inconsistency/weirdness (TNL/hambeet) but it's dead on arrival to everybody else.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

CCKeane posted:

Right! But that's not the issue! I asked him why he thought a lurker execution would help the town, and he responded with:

So he's going to a meta reasoning here, right? But it's a defensive reasoning - Voodoofly is just saying that's what he does - and not a persuasive reasoning - that town would benefit from a lurker execution. When presenting with an opportunity to persuade me, he declined it and set himself up as that just being something he does.

Like, let's remove me calling him on his meta entirely.

Also NOTE HERE SANDWOLF

I'll say it twice and put your name around it a few times so you'll pay attention SANDWOLF SANDWOLF SANDWOLF this doesn't pull from old games SANDWOLF SANDWOLF SANDWOLF

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CCKeane posted:

Yes.

I have seen merk do exactly what you’re describing (refuse to respond to a case, point to a misunderstanding as reasoning to ignore a case) and he was town.

I think Voodoofly blowing you off is lazy, but I don’t think it’s intrinsically scummy.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Yo who’s reading on your phone? That looks kinda cool with the purple name highlight

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

yuming posted:

And hambeet is not voting.

And you’re ignoring a very valid question.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Okay so remind me again why the people voting for easy target Amnistar weren't making an easy entry into the thread?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

Yo who’s reading on your phone? That looks kinda cool with the purple name highlight

Hey Sandwolf what do you think of this case

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

I'm going to start this off by saying the scummiest thing I'm looking for is connections.

At this point in day 1, Lord Nad is getting a lot of traction. This isn't how a scum lynch goes. You have to have resistence, with the other scum team indirectly blocking for that person.

Lord Nad saw the same things I did, as well as other players, in that Officer Liger's vote and play in the beginning of the game was scummy. This has been talked to death.

Why Officer Liger is better than Lord Nad, is that there are no connections to Lord Nad. Lord Nad has defended himself from accusations.

Officer Liger did not post any content until I called him out on it, and yet we had multiple players indirectly defend him when THERE WAS NO REASON TO. Why connect yourself by calling his actions town, when they were objectively scummy?

Placing a joke vote on someone as they have picked up other serious votes is objectively scummy, and yet we have players defending him and calling him townie:

OFFICER LIGER posted:

it's always jokephase. life without humor is one that is bland and without flavor.

kumbaya is town but the blue cheese line has me worried.

I have reads, I am just not throwing them out because its day one and it's hard to have confidence in those reads in a large game like this. I don't necessarily think you or zzyzx are scum, I actually read you similar to how I read you in the prior game (and merk voting the way he is reinforced my thoughts). Jiv is new to mafia but he's not an idiot. Was he attempting to ride what appeared to be an easy lynch built on the back of a very weak case? According to his posting, he decided that lordnads case was strong enough to, but the way his post was worded, it felt like he didn't try to consider any other scenarios. This is very suspect. I don't believe he believes in this case, it feels like coercion made this happen. I won't vote him yet though on the off chance it's earnest newbiness jumping on what the first large read was, but knowing jiv makes me suspicious he would make a move like that if he truly suspected someone was scum. Also I invite everyone to read yuming, who actually does set off my radar for her overreaction to Amni offing mr steak.

This quote is from after I called him out for not giving any reads or providing any content or voting at all. This is from page 12.

Before this post, these players said they had town reads on him, defending Officer Liger when there was no reason to.

Jose Valasquez posted:

3rd vote or not, LIGER's vote was pretty obviously a joke vote, I hate cases based on obvious joke votes

Jose Valasquez posted:

HP is the only game I've played with Liger but this is the opposite vibe I got from him there and he wasn't pro-town in that game

Tom Tucker posted:

The votes on Liger are votes of opportunity ironically disguised as votes because of a vote of opportunity, which it was clear it was not. I get a townie vibe from Liger.

Tom Tucker posted:

Dude you followed up a "I need to see more" serious post with a joke post that wasn't super funny and added a real vote to a growing launch - this is scummy behavior it is hard to argue that. I still think you are town despite that but at least acknowledge it.

Amnistar posted:

The case is bad, Liger's vote is clearly joke (regardless of Liger's alignment) and latching on to that one as the problem is stupid.

Token Female posted:

I don't disagree that it's a vote that can get things moving. But I don't think LIGER sees it that way. I think you might still feel burned after HP mafia.

Note: Officer Liger didn't vote for me in HP, I wouldn't feel burned by Liger. But nice try trying to throw emotion into a decision I made.

These are all defenses of Liger BEFORE they started posting seriously. There is no reason to defend a scummy action, and it's silly to be connecting yourself.

Lord Nad, however, has no one defending him. Not once. This is exactly how a town lynch goes.

Officer Liger has people defending him for NO REASON. This is how a scum lynch goes.

Let's lynch Liger

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Scum are unlikely to stick their neck out to defend one of their own gaining traction on D1.

Far MORE likely that they present another option and start pushing for that one, vehemently, while likely never addressing the scumbuddy they’re hoping to protect.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The Ninth Layer posted:

Hey Sandwolf what do you think of this case

Kinda light, but not the worst case I've seen on D1

Fake edit: oh poo poo wrong account

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Sandwolf posted:

Shame that the quoting sucks rear end

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
It's okay I'm sure we'll malaise into a Nad/Liger/me vote

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
thoughts:

agreed w/ keane re: TT's case on LordNad. the case is bad. i don't think lordnad is scum.

varinn: i think the 'let's start out with a question!!' thing is, more often than not, a scumtell, posting under the guise of contributing. he's mostly been a non-entity, despite posting with some frequency, which is another scumtell. most posts are one-off shitposts. this post in particular, hoo boy:

Varinn posted:

liger: Seems fine, actually. Prickly, but not desperate under fire. Also blue cheese and shoestring was the correct answer.

jose: spending my jose section to defend the idea of sk w/ a dayvig (more on that vote later) its actual a role that owns. you dont give it to scum, for the reasons everyones described, but a SK cant use it the same way and it gives them a lot of options in terms of pretending to be something else. anyway, having had the time to meditate on the facts, even if amni is third party (and this is tenuous) its not worth trying to hunt third parties day one, unless you're scum. mea culpa. fly on, friend ##unvote

okay it was at this point i really realized doing 24 of these was going to be a pain in the rear end, and not particularly helpful, so im going to do the correct thing and just read the rest quickly and remark on anything that pops out, rather than force a take on everyone.

[stephen a smith voice] BUT!

this post, folks. there's nothing wrong with having the courage of your convictions, but pivoting to "hmm, it IS suspicious that this person isn't talking about the person im voting for" is a way to piss in the rhetorical pool for later. on day one, how many people have actually mentioned all 23 other people, and the liger train never exceeded six votes. it's a very weird case prebuilding. not great.

anyway im gonna do the rest of my reading. like and subscribe for more content like this,

some scummy setup theory thrown in for good measure, a callout of KK (though I agree, that post is bad), yet no vote followup. highly suspicious, i'd say i'd upgrade varinn to my scum #1 at the moment

DBD's recent frustration reads genuine to me. i recall DBD's posts being more flippant as scum, not long posts detailing frustrated feels.

merk's game feels like my own scum game here, where he is trying to suggest mafia players should be posting with intractable logic motivating them instead of emotionally posting by the hip, so to speak. i have done similar things many times, and merk is literally persuasive for a living (or at least he was 5 years ago, i am out of the loop now i suppose!), so he's very good at it.

there's a few things of merk's that look really fake. for example

merk posted:

This is going to sound really crappy of me, and I’m sorry, but the frustration you’re trying to evoke is not ringing true. Your post is just too long for that frustration to actually be realistic.

I’ve been in your shoes as scum. I’ve leaned into the feigned frustration and made posts like that. Long, multiple points.

I’ve also been the lynch leader as town and actually been frustrated. The posts are short.

first off, everyone writes differently; second off, all of merk's posts are short. this reads, to use a word already overused in this game, as performative.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

To me, the problem with the kumba case is that I pretty much agree with him. LIGER looks scummy (kumba made a point of coming back to the thread late and pointing out where he would have hypothetically voted, which I appreciated), Varinn looked bad to me around the same time, the blue-cheese exchange wasn't particularly substantive one way or the other. He sounds like he's pinging off of the same things that I am.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

Kumba says, opening up a nice fresh coors light.

how dare you impugn my honor that way. i would never drink anything more sophisticated than natty ice

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

kumba posted:

thoughts:

agreed w/ keane re: TT's case on LordNad. the case is bad. i don't think lordnad is scum.

varinn: i think the 'let's start out with a question!!' thing is, more often than not, a scumtell, posting under the guise of contributing. he's mostly been a non-entity, despite posting with some frequency, which is another scumtell. most posts are one-off shitposts. this post in particular, hoo boy:

some scummy setup theory thrown in for good measure, a callout of KK (though I agree, that post is bad), yet no vote followup. highly suspicious, i'd say i'd upgrade varinn to my scum #1 at the moment

DBD's recent frustration reads genuine to me. i recall DBD's posts being more flippant as scum, not long posts detailing frustrated feels.

merk's game feels like my own scum game here, where he is trying to suggest mafia players should be posting with intractable logic motivating them instead of emotionally posting by the hip, so to speak. i have done similar things many times, and merk is literally persuasive for a living (or at least he was 5 years ago, i am out of the loop now i suppose!), so he's very good at it.

there's a few things of merk's that look really fake. for example

first off, everyone writes differently; second off, all of merk's posts are short. this reads, to use a word already overused in this game, as performative.

Who's your pick as scum from these folks? TOP PICK.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress. i forgot about the pet thing, and i can't find the post with the current counts. what page is that on

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

Who's your pick as scum from these folks? TOP PICK.

i literally said varinn in the post keane my goodness

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i see andy made a much longer case than i did. good.

##vote varinn

varinn's posting reminds me of legendary mafia superstar imgay.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

kumba posted:

i literally said varinn in the post keane my goodness

You did! I am sorry.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!
This right here.

It's one thing if you don't agree with a case, but most of the defense has been "My gut pings" or "Liger's just having fun".

Khris Kruel posted:

Note: Officer Liger didn't vote for me in HP, I wouldn't feel burned by Liger. But nice try trying to throw emotion into a decision I made.

These are all defenses of Liger BEFORE they started posting seriously. There is no reason to defend a scummy action, and it's silly to be connecting yourself.

Lord Nad, however, has no one defending him. Not once. This is exactly how a town lynch goes.

Officer Liger has people defending him for NO REASON. This is how a scum lynch goes.

Let's lynch Liger

I'm sticking with my initial read. I don't agree with the case on DBD and it looks like it's going to come down to Me, DBD or Liger so

##vote Officer Liger

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i am now eating baked cavatappi for dinner. i will gladly chat and respond to inquiries but truth be told i am unlikely to read this whole thread again before the deadline, because i am exhausted and also :420:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

You did! I am sorry.

i forgive you. :glomp:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

kumba posted:

i am now eating baked cavatappi for dinner. i will gladly chat and respond to inquiries but truth be told i am unlikely to read this whole thread again before the deadline, because i am exhausted and also :420:

SOUNDS LIKE THE CAVATAPPI ISN'T THE ONLY THING GETTING BAKED AM I RIGHT?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I actually do have a scum merk vibe based on his interactions with dbd, based on two games I’ve played scum with merk.

*looks sideways to Keane*

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

KK there's no way a bunch of scum are going to rush in and throw themselves in front of Liger if he's a scumbuddy - they'd likely be ignoring him.

LordNad got votes but stalled out ~5, and we've had a ton of people come in and say the case is bad or they don't buy it. I get what you're saying - by most measures townie lynches are easier because there's less push back, but there's been plenty of pushback on LordNad.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

in fact, I’m so keen on that vibe I’ll go walkabout over it

##vote merk

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

*starts stopwatch*

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

hambeet posted:

in fact, I’m so keen on that vibe I’ll go walkabout over it

##vote merk

##vote merk

If yuming has no traction then let's try merk!

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

Tom Tucker posted:

KK there's no way a bunch of scum are going to rush in and throw themselves in front of Liger if he's a scumbuddy - they'd likely be ignoring him.

LordNad got votes but stalled out ~5, and we've had a ton of people come in and say the case is bad or they don't buy it. I get what you're saying - by most measures townie lynches are easier because there's less push back, but there's been plenty of pushback on LordNad.

I really don't believe scum would completely ignore someone. I think they would try to push the cash away from them.

I don't think everyone defending liger is scum, I think it's bad play to connect yourself to someone that had literally only posted jokes before hand. That is ridiculous. How are joke posts townie?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I'm here tryin to make reads and seeing a late push from kruel who is still tunneling me, Nd and who is voting the other top vote leader without any real reason given why. voting me is a bad idea.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Deadbeat Dad posted:

##vote merk

If yuming has no traction then let's try merk!

:captainpop:

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

its one thing to say someone is giving you town reads for posting content.

It's quite another to defend someone when they are only posting joke posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

unless your scum in which case voting me is a really rely swell idea.