Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
My wife is the one getting groceries today for this week. We take turns on whose blame it will be if we get the life-altering virus. Marriage is about compromise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

coconono posted:

in my head:
cough cough
ZAP
aaaaaa help help that deranged looking guy with the sweet looking mask tased me

in reality:
I stay the gently caress home and have poo poo delivered and get a complex about it because I'm once again asking my fellow laborer to risk their lives in exchange for measly lucre.

Yeah I'm struggling with this too. Go to the grocery myself and I'm potentially putting dozens of people at risk, including the essential workers in the store, or get groceries delivered and outsource it to another worker that has to visit dozens of homes. None of it is good and the only thing I can get to grow at the moment is weed.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah I'm struggling with this too. Go to the grocery myself and I'm potentially putting dozens of people at risk, including the essential workers in the store, or get groceries delivered and outsource it to another worker that has to visit dozens of homes. None of it is good and the only thing I can get to grow at the moment is weed.

well most of the delivery people have left poo poo on the stoop, rung the bell and retreated quickly before I could initiate pleasant conversations. THey were doing this before quarantine tho.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The second trailer I made for the Museum of Flight charity fly-in just went live. This one was a lot of fun to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfuOFGV4EfU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

My wife is the one getting groceries today for this week. We take turns on whose blame it will be if we get the life-altering virus. Marriage is about compromise.

lol

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I just spent 5 hours reading one piece

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Junpei Hyde posted:

I just spent 5 hours reading one piece

Living the dream :cheers:

Also, congrats on getting through 1/100th of the series so far!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Living the dream :cheers:

Also, congrats on getting through 1/100th of the series so far!

i read all of thriller bark today

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Car won’t start just in time for the stimulus check’s arrival. Cool good job everyone

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Junpei Hyde posted:

i read all of thriller bark today

Oh that's the arc where "nothing happened", which is one of the coolest things ever.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Oh that's the arc where "nothing happened", which is one of the coolest things ever.

Anyone who defines brook as "nothing" is dead to me

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Junpei Hyde posted:

Civil War

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Junpei Hyde posted:

That's not the "nothing happened" I'm talking about, have you read the direct aftermath after Moria gets beaten?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

That's not the "nothing happened" I'm talking about, have you read the direct aftermath after Moria gets beaten?

Ohhhhh that

yeah that was cool

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

What's everyone's favorite horror stories? Book, short story, movie, show, game, whatever.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

NienNunb posted:

What's everyone's favorite horror stories? Book, short story, movie, show, game, whatever.

In the mouth of madness
The thing
From beyond
Jaunt
It follows
The legacy of kain series

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Capitalism

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

NienNunb posted:

Dracula
Resident Evil 4
The Shining
The Lost Boys
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
The VVitch
Ice Queen
Bloodz vs Wolvez
That one story about Erik Koch getting pressured into having group sex with Anthony Pettis and Pettis' smelly uncle

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Under The Skin.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

To answer my own question

The Shining (movie)
Dracula (novel, at least nine adaptations)
Frankenstein (same deal, especially Bride Of)
The Thing
Halloween
Mulholland Drive
Twin Peaks/The Return/Fire Walk With Me
House Of Leaves
Seemingly endless Junji Ito stories (specifically Uzumaki, Enigma, Hanging Balloons, Long Dream, Glyceride)
Hellblazer
Bloodborne
Annihilation
The less racist Lovecraft stories
The Witch

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i saw the devil
bedevilled

they are unrelated movies

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

The Thing
Salem’s Lot, novel
Legend of Hell House, movie (book is okay)
The Stone Tape, movie
Alien
Prometheus (such pulp)
Ravenous (everything a movie should be)
The Exorcist
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (also Part 2 but for entirely different reasons)
Southern Comfort (holy poo poo it’s so good and you’ve never heard of it!)
The Guest (I guess is horror? Plex says so and I do love it)
House of the Devil
Paranormal Activity, because the metaphor is myyy liiife gdi
The Shining, movie

If you like John Carpenter and you haven’t looked for some Nigel Kneale stuff, do yourself a favor and do exactly that. It’s all “thinky men sit around and try to talk their way through a supernatural situation” stuff and it’s great.

Also there’s a Goosebumps book where a kid makes friends with aliens that look like fried eggs and he gets locked in a cell and it’s not his fault; that made me cry when I was nine so that was pretty good.

Edit: I came back to this to replug Legend of Hell House. The book it’s based on was written by Richard Matheson, who inspired Stephen King a ton and who also wrote I am Legend and The Shrinking Man and some other good stuff about how loving weird masculinity feels all the time. Anyway, Legend if Hell House is a 1970s haunted house movie that stars people you will only recognize if you watch Columbo. It’s basically the movie that turned my wife onto horror movies. It’s about a dude trying to prove whether a ghost in a haunted house is real so he brings in a medium, a psychic, and some scientists for them to run their tests. It’s deliberate and cool and freaky and very 1970s and I love it.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 6, 2020

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
grave of the fireflies

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

HOTTEST TAKE: Prometheus is the only movie from the Alien series that I'm into. Like you said it's got the dirge aesthetics and tone of the other movies but the story itself is literally a mid-century scifi dime novel. Replace the dumbass who took his helmet off to deal with the weird snake alien with Dean Venture and it would fit 1 for 1 in.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I adored Prometheus and was super-excited to see Ridley Scott diverge from the Aliens series and take the people of that "universe" into weird new directions.

Then he made Covenant, which was a giant pile of poo poo. :sigh:

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

NienNunb posted:

HOTTEST TAKE: Prometheus is the only movie from the Alien series that I'm into. Like you said it's got the dirge aesthetics and tone of the other movies but the story itself is literally a mid-century scifi dime novel. Replace the dumbass who took his helmet off to deal with the weird snake alien with Dean Venture and it would fit 1 for 1 in.

The cyber-tomb mountain becoming a skull makes me have the goofiest grin every time.

The first Alien is a classic but I also kind of nod off after the escape pod sequence starts.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Dracula is good cuz its a metaphor for premarital fuckin. Just try not to think too hard about how every female Dracula (species not the individual) eats children in it

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Which Dracula are we talking about here?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

The novel (it's better than any movie ever based on it)

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

Dracula is good cuz its a metaphor for premarital fuckin. Just try not to think too hard about how every female Dracula (species not the individual) eats children in it

It's also a beautiful love letter to train schedules and their enthusiasts.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Imagine being a late Victorian working class Whitbyan claiming a derelict freighter under maritime law as the first of Her Majesty's Subjects to set foot on board upon its discovery. How exciting it must be to know that finally, your time toiling in the Smog Factory for Scrooge McDuck is over and you will soon be able to afford a scarf and the finest medicinal cocaine for your 13 dying children and your wife eith whom you have not lain in some 15 years, aa the good Protestant Lord intended. And then all you find is a dried up corpse tied to the helm and an empty hold. And then once the constibles finally release it from plague quarantine you check the shipping manifests so you can file a report for the stolen goods and find out it was all just dirt.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

Imagine being a late Victorian working class Whitbyan claiming a derelict freighter under maritime law as the first of Her Majesty's Subjects to set foot on board upon its discovery. How exciting it must be to know that finally, your time toiling in the Smog Factory for Scrooge McDuck is over and you will soon be able to afford a scarf and the finest medicinal cocaine for your 13 dying children and your wife eith whom you have not lain in some 15 years, aa the good Protestant Lord intended. And then all you find is a dried up corpse tied to the helm and an empty hold. And then once the constibles finally release it from plague quarantine you check the shipping manifests so you can file a report for the stolen goods and find out it was all just dirt.

Lmao

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I am glad that you enjoy it because it’s a seminal work and those need appreciating, but I honestly really hated reading Dracula and most other pieces of writing from that time period. It’s like if someone condescended to you about not playing game of the year 1993 Ghouls n’ Ghosts. The pain of suffering through that thing is not worth the limited charms it advertises, and craft has come a long way since then.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

That's fair. I'm a slut for nineteenth century lit but that is absolutely not something that comes naturally to most people. I happened to have a series of very good teachers and professors who didn't just throw the books at us and told us it was important, but properly taught us how to parse it and why it's still important.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I didn't really care for Prometheus when I saw it but Covenant seems fascinating.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

difficult platformers that require you to learn the stage to ever win are timeless

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Covenant is a comically miserable Ridley Scott bitterly saying "you don't want my Johnny Quest movie about god's cruel indifference towards His children? Fine gently caress you take your wet sex alien, never talk to me again".

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ah i see what you mean

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Covenant is a comically miserable Ridley Scott bitterly saying "you don't want my Johnny Quest movie about god's cruel indifference towards His children? Fine gently caress you take your wet sex alien, never talk to me again".

It's that and it's also Fassbenders being dudes and doing flute lessons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

NienNunb posted:

That's fair. I'm a slut for nineteenth century lit but that is absolutely not something that comes naturally to most people. I happened to have a series of very good teachers and professors who didn't just throw the books at us and told us it was important, but properly taught us how to parse it and why it's still important.

I also had a lot of very good teachers and professors and I’m pretty sure that’s why none of them assigned Dracula :haw:

I loved Covenant until the interminable ending. David dunking on idiot Billy Crudup was great.