Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

Huh. I'm looking at mid range gaming laptops and was interested in the AMD offerings even though they're limited to 2060's because of the supposedly better power consumption and thermal things. I guess that shouldn't really be much of a factor if this is going to be a thing for them.

I mean the 4800H definitely performs, no qualms with Asus about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Does anyone have from-the-wall idle vs. load measurements of the 4800H chips? I've only seen from-the-chip figures from the 4900HS, which seems to go only 4w above its on-the-sticker TDP.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 3, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

If my anecdotal aural evidence is not wrong, M.2 is super grumpy about being written to and gets a lot hotter than SATA SSDs did. Like, just downloading poo poo from Steam kicks my fans into high gear.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Does anyone have from-the-wall idle vs. load measurements of the 4800H chips? I've only seen from-the-chip figures from the 4900HS, which seems to go only 4w above its on-the-sticker TDP.

I dont think at the wall is going to tell you anything with modern laptops without removal batteries.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I can provide some

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I'm looking for a guide on how to OC my ram. I used the "safe" settings from the ryzen memory calculator but the system didn't boot.

I don't want to just dial in a bunch of numbers and hope it boots, I just want to go in step by step increments to make sure everything is stable. I have micron e-die which isn't as hot poo poo as b-die but it apparently oc's very well.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

If my anecdotal aural evidence is not wrong, M.2 is super grumpy about being written to and gets a lot hotter than SATA SSDs did. Like, just downloading poo poo from Steam kicks my fans into high gear.

Depending on your SSD, you can sometimes rectify this yourself. Flash doesn't mind being hot, it actually benefits from being a little warm. The controller, on the other hand, is like any other silicon, and does not. If you can put a mini heatsink with some thermal adhesive onto the controller, (and this will depend on a lot of factors, like whether or not your specific SSD manufacturer decided to put the controller on the top side or not, or if your M.2 mount is tall enough to fit a mini heatsink) you can curb that.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Interesting vid with a 3800X at 5ghz in gaming.

https://youtu.be/X6RSEU1d-g8

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I just noticed something sort of odd with my computer. I've got a 3800x cooled by an NH-D15 with a 1080ti. Temps in HWiNFO64 are all normal and within expectations, CPU idles between 30-40c and temps usually max out around 72c. The strange thing is, when I'm playing a game or doing anything that uses the video card, the computer obviously exhausts hot air, as one would expect. The difference between idle and load is very noticeable. However, if I do any CPU-exclusive task, temps rise on the CPU like normal, but the exhaust is always cold.

CPU performance is perfectly normal and within spec, no signs of overheating or thermal throttling. So is this normal behavior, or could I have mounted the heatsink to the cpu incorrectly? I just would expect the CPU to exhaust hot air under load, which it doesn't seem to do. The 1080ti creates obviously hot exhaust when in use.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Dramicus posted:

I just noticed something sort of odd with my computer. I've got a 3800x cooled by an NH-D15 with a 1080ti. Temps in HWiNFO64 are all normal and within expectations, CPU idles between 30-40c and temps usually max out around 72c. The strange thing is, when I'm playing a game or doing anything that uses the video card, the computer obviously exhausts hot air, as one would expect. The difference between idle and load is very noticeable. However, if I do any CPU-exclusive task, temps rise on the CPU like normal, but the exhaust is always cold.

CPU performance is perfectly normal and within spec, no signs of overheating or thermal throttling. So is this normal behavior, or could I have mounted the heatsink to the cpu incorrectly? I just would expect the CPU to exhaust hot air under load, which it doesn't seem to do. The 1080ti creates obviously hot exhaust when in use.

Your 1080ti is probably producing four to five times heat as your CPU while gaming, so it makes sense that their is more hot air to exhaust than when you're just stressing your CPU which wont produce nearly as much by itself compared to the gaming CPU/GPU.

So yea, it's normal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the TDP of the 1080ti is a shitton higher than the processor.

You have to consider the flow rate of your case too. If your case can turn over air faster than the processor can heat, then the exhaust is going to remain cool. But that same rate may not be able to turn over the air faster than the 1080ti can heat it, so the ambient air temp in the case is going to rise.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Your 1080 Ti under load is consuming 2-3x the energy of your 3800x, so combined tasks like gaming will be consuming ~2.5-4x more energy than cpu-only tasks. That’ll show up as exhaust heat. If you have top exhaust vents it might also be possible that cpu waste heat might be escaping that way!

E: efb :argh:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
That makes sense. I was just wondering when I saw temps of 72 on both the CPU and GPU, but could only feel temps coming from the 1080ti. I've got a meshify-C with 2x Nocuta 140s in the front, 1x 120 and 140 on the NH-d15s, and 1x 120 exhaust. Maybe that pushes so much air through the case that it never gets a chance to be warm.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Dramicus posted:

That makes sense. I was just wondering when I saw temps of 72 on both the CPU and GPU, but could only feel temps coming from the 1080ti. I've got a meshify-C with 2x Nocuta 140s in the front, 1x 120 and 140 on the NH-d15s, and 1x 120 exhaust. Maybe that pushes so much air through the case that it never gets a chance to be warm.

I'm assuming you have a multi fan model 1080 Ti which will exhaust the hot air into your case which then has to be removed by your rear fan.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

B-Mac posted:

I'm assuming you have a multi fan model 1080 Ti which will exhaust the hot air into your case which then has to be removed by your rear fan.

Yes, it's an Asus Strix model with 3 fans.

Edit: Just to be clear. When the 1080ti is at 72 degrees, I can feel it. When the CPU alone is at 72 degrees, it's chilly. GPU Idle in the second case.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 5, 2020

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Cygni posted:

Interesting vid with a 3800X at 5ghz in gaming.

https://youtu.be/X6RSEU1d-g8

Basically clockspeed means only so much without fast access to memory and low latency cache. Zen2's clockspeeds are about optimal in conjunction with it's cache latency such that higher clockspeeds have vastly diminishing return compared to say, just fiddling with IF and memory for better 1% lows (which can be higher than Intel's).

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 5, 2020

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Dramicus posted:

When your cpu is 72 degrees it's drawing maybe 100W, tops, but that energy concentrated in a small area so the temperature is relatively high. When your GPU is 72 degrees it's drawing 200-300W that's spread out over a larger die so the temperature is relatively lower. That all gets transferred into roughly equivalent air columns, so the exhaust from gpu activity will be hotter than the exhaust from cpu activity (plus when the gpu is going strong, the cpu is probably taxed as well).

Khorne
May 1, 2002

EmpyreanFlux posted:

Basically clockspeed means only so much without fast access to memory and low latency cache. Zen2's clockspeeds are about optimal in conjunction with it's cache latency such that higher clockspeeds have vastly diminishing return compared to say, just fiddling with IF and memory for better 1& lows (which can be higher than Intel's).
In applications where faster access to memory matters. 20%+ faster than the 9900k in certain compute workloads that don't care about latency.

Also worth noting that fast RAM+IF speeds made a significant difference.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Wonder forgot to mention that, which is probably why Threadripper and EPYC are so brutally far ahead even at similar core counts and clockspeeds, like the 3950X itself competing with the 10980XE.Wonder if Zen3 has smoe smarter way of handling it's cache that can effectively reduce latency, because if so it'll just crush Comet Lake in Intel's last stronghold, clockspeed deficit or not. Wonder if Zen4 is going to significant gains merely moving to a a faster IF and DDR5 on top of any improvements to the core, or if that dependency is reduced in Zen3 with unified L3.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The trade off with the MCM model was worse RAM latency, but cheaper manufacturing costs and less NUMA fuckery. Anything you can do to mitigate that trade off, like faster RAM or IF cycles, is gonna help. But it is basically the only thing holding AMD back from clean-sweeping intel and it seems like clockspeed alone doesn't bruteforce past that bottleneck, so anything they can do in future designs to combat that is gonna be real important. Especially as intel starts moving again with new core designs starting with Rocket Lake.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Stickman posted:

When your cpu is 72 degrees it's drawing maybe 100W, tops, but that energy concentrated in a small area so the temperature is relatively high. When your GPU is 72 degrees it's drawing 200-300W that's spread out over a larger die so the temperature is relatively lower. That all gets transferred into roughly equivalent air columns, so the exhaust from gpu activity will be hotter than the exhaust from cpu activity (plus when the gpu is going strong, the cpu is probably taxed as well).

Perfect explanation, thank you.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Hey there guys I just got this card: https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Graphics-Windforce-GV-N207SGAMING-OC-8GD/dp/B07WN6WB4G

A friend of mine recommended me to get this:

CPU: https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-Processor-Wraith-Cooler/dp/B07B428M7F (2700x)

With this mobo: https://www.amazon.com/ROG-Strix-B450-F-Gaming-Motherboard/dp/B07FKTZC4M

Are these fine? Or should I get a AMD ryzen 5 3600 with a heat sink?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
No reason to buy a 2700X for $310, either buy the 3700X for $300 or save some money and buy the 3600.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Don't get a 2700X. 3000 is going to get discounted quite a bit once 4000 is announced, buy 3000 then.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Dramicus posted:

I have a similar setup, Meshify-C with Noctua 140s in front, a 120mm on a Scythe Mugen cooler, and a 120mm exhaust, cooling a 2600X and 1070. I just (as in yesterday) realized that I had the CPU cooler fan on backwards for the past year :shobon: The CPU has been happily crunching away in the mid-70s even with the CPU fan literally fighting the two intake fans.

So yeah, a lot of air helps too :v:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That 2700X is listed at almost twice as much as a 3600 on NewEgg.

https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-3600/p/N82E16819113569?&quicklink=true

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Thanks for the help guys!

Buying the 3600

What price should be looking for, for a motherboard? Seeing that most stuff is either too expensive or out of stock.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Buying the 3600

What price should be looking for, for a motherboard? Seeing that most stuff is either too expensive or out of stock.

B450 Tomahawk Max is the go-to I see a lot.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Buying the 3600

I dropped around $200 on an X570 motherboard a few weeks ago, but that was entirely driven by my own preferences and plan for the machine.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Buying the 3600

I just helped a buddy build out a new setup around an R5 3600, and yeah, component stock is hosed at the moment. Though, we managed to snag an MSI B450M Pro-VDH MAX board from Amazon for $90ish which according to the PC building thread is a solid budget board. It's still available here: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-ProSerie...ctronics&sr=1-1

If you can/want/opt for an ATX case, the B450 Tomahawk MAX for $115 seems like the go to (if you can find it in stock). Reason I had my friend go with the Pro-VDH MAX is because his case only supports microATX boards.

[edit] Also I learned from the PC building thread that any "MAX" branded motherboard from MSI supports Ryzen 3000 series CPUs out the box, no BIOS updated required. That was another thing that helped making picking a motherboard easier for my friend, since he doesn't want to gently caress with any BIOS updates when building lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 6, 2020

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

teagone posted:

I just helped a buddy build out a new setup around an R5 3600, and yeah, component stock is hosed at the moment. Though, we managed to snag an MSI B450M Pro-VDH MAX board from Amazon for $90ish which according to the PC building thread is a solid budget board. It's still available here: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-ProSerie...ctronics&sr=1-1

If you can/want/opt for an ATX case, the B450 Tomahawk MAX for $115 seems like the go to (if you can find it in stock). Reason I had my friend go with the Pro-VDH MAX is because his case only supports microATX boards.

[edit] Also I learned from the PC building thread that any "MAX" branded motherboard from MSI supports Ryzen 3000 series CPUs out the box, no BIOS updated required. That was another thing that helped making picking a motherboard easier for my friend, since he doesn't want to gently caress with any BIOS updates when building lol.

The MAX boards also all support memory up to 4133MHz while the vast majority of B450 boards top out at 3200MHz. There are a few that will hit between 3466 and 3600, though.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Any news on x670?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Any news on x670?

The only reputable rumor I remember hearing was from Digitimes and was that Asmedia got the contract again (like every other Ryzen chipset that wasnt X570, including B550), and it was coming end of year.

The pure speculation I've heard lately is that AMD may just rebrand X570 instead, or not release a new X series chipset at all as Zen3 is the end of the road for AM4. If there was a wave of new motherboards pending imminently, the board partners would have leaked that poo poo to high heaven like they always do, so there might be some wisdom in that speculation.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
What kind of features could they potentially add to a successor to x570? We already know that DDR5 is off the table for AM4. What would they do to incentivize people to upgrade? I'm on B450 and I don't see much of a reason to upgrade. I don't foresee pcie 4.0 becoming mandatory for the next gen of GPUs, and I imagine AM5 will be out by the time it does. I suppose if Zen 3 is another big jump in performance, it might be a smart idea to get the longest lasting MB for the long-term. Then again, Zen 4 on AM5 might be even better, so who knows.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Dramicus posted:

What kind of features could they potentially add remove to a successor to x570?

fans

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dramicus posted:

What kind of features could they potentially add to a successor to x570? We already know that DDR5 is off the table for AM4. What would they do to incentivize people to upgrade? I'm on B450 and I don't see much of a reason to upgrade. I don't foresee pcie 4.0 becoming mandatory for the next gen of GPUs, and I imagine AM5 will be out by the time it does. I suppose if Zen 3 is another big jump in performance, it might be a smart idea to get the longest lasting MB for the long-term. Then again, Zen 4 on AM5 might be even better, so who knows.

USB4, aka Generic Thunderbolt.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

USB4, aka Generic Thunderbolt.

How far apart are the data transfer rates between a USB port and a PCIe slot? Could we eventually get to a point where a (contemporary PCIe 3.0) graphics card can be run off USB?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Has there ever been a new CPU release without a new set of motherboards/chipsets? I can't think of one at all, even if they've been functionally similar.

Going to go with an EPYC Milan release in September, and early 2021 Zen 4000 release in like, March. That means we should see leaks of X670 in I think October or so? Usually 6 months lead time on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

How far apart are the data transfer rates between a USB port and a PCIe slot? Could we eventually get to a point where a (contemporary PCIe 3.0) graphics card can be run off USB?

Technically? Yes. Because USB4 will have the exact same transfer rate as TB3, 40 Gb/s bidirectional, or a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot.