Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

moana posted:

Hey, I'm looking for a goon-created mashup album that I think was posted back like ten years ago or something. All I remember is it was good running music and had a lot of old hip hop, let's see: "I Wish I was a little bit Taller", "All the Single Ladies," "War Pigs," "Y'All can't stop me now" "Get Ur Freak On," I don't know what else. Haven't been able to find it through search. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Any chance you're thinking of WTA JRK? It samples some of those.

In other news, I'm looking for someone who knows how to make nice sounding beeps and boops. I run Retrograde Minis and I'm thinking some nice chill chiptunes-y BGM and SFX would be nice to have for the site. Ideally, I'd like to have a unique jingle/theme for the logo, and some unobtrusive/relaxed music that uses that leitmotif (no idea if I used that correctly) along the lines of Chrono Trigger or the Final Fantasy prelude. Sort of a main menu / 90's era RPG kinda thing. I've never commissioned anything music-wise before but I don't expect people to make stuff for free, so this would be a paid gig.

If you're inclined, or you know someone who might be, drop me a line at retrogrademinis@gmail.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, friends of mine are looking to get a keyboard for their daughter. The required specifications are as follows:

- must be able to record within the keyboard itself (MIDI is secondary, though I'm sure that's kind of a given now, isn't it? Don't all keyboards do MIDI?)
- must have its own speakers
- must have 61 keys

Any suggestions? The parents aren't musical, and their daughter is going to be learning how to play on it. They want something that's not necessarily top of the line, but something that would still be good 5-6 years from now. Now that I write that out, I realize that keyboards don't depreciate like some other stuff.

I'm way more familiar with MIDI keyboard controllers that I'm so out of the 'consumer level' keyboards world, for lack of a better term. I'm not sure what's most recommended. I *think* their max budget is $300 USD, but obviously cheaper would be appreciated.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 30, 2020

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Budget keybords without any midi connection are still being sold. As well as stuff with four levels of velocity sensitivity or less.

Shopping for a keyboard is hard, because there are numerous minute variations upon the same theme available and there is no community who cares about specs, pretty much.

I'm just googling around myself here and I'm coming across something like the Yamaha PSR-E463, that can actually record audio to a usb stick, which seems neat. It also mentions a note capacity of 19K, spread over six tracks in up to 10 songs, so it can record some midi internally as well. Around a similar price, Roland has the retro looking GO:Keys, which doesn't do the audio recording thing, but divides 30K notes over a 99 possible songs and can pair with a phone over bluetooth to play back backing tracks through the speakers.

Can you import/export the recorded midi as files? Who knows? You need to dive into the manuals for that. Do these things have keybeds that are any good? Good luck finding out. The slightly more expensive PSR-EW410 mentions an actual sequencer. What's the difference between that, a 2-track song recorder (PSR-E363) and a phrase recorder (PSR-E263)? etc etc. It's really frustrating.

It doesn't look like Korg has a qualifying thing at that price point. Casio might, but they won't let me access their international website from Europe.

Now, presumably all sorts of people bored with the hobby are going to sell perfectly fine keyboards second hand, but you'd have to look each of them up to see if they do any recording and whatever else is on the sanity checklist.

I think the best actual tip I have is to budget for a stand, probably.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I know I can google this but I wanted to ask advice from people here instead of google at large:

I've played classical guitar for 5 years and some piano and I want to get into composing music on the computer. Specifically I'd like to start with like electronic chiptune kinda stuff because that's what I grew up on, but eventually I'dl like to create stuff that sounds like real instruments also.

I've done some basic music theory courses like the one on artofcomposing.com, but I don't really know how to get started doing stuff on computer. Should I jump straight in and get a course on Ableton or should I start with something like FL Studio? I also have a full size keyboard for interfacing with stuff although I'd probably have to do that on like ipad or something since it's not in the same room as my computer.

If anyone has any other recommendations besides artofcomposing and Hooktheory which I've done both of to explore I will check those out also.

Thanks musigoons

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

McKilligan posted:

Any chance you're thinking of WTA JRK? It samples some of those.
Thank you, but apparently I am an idiot because I described the mashup it to my husband and he informed me that it was in fact All Day from Girl Talk, lol

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
So uh, is it normal for an Epiphone SG G-400/Pro/whatever they called it then circa 2008 to have b500k pots for the volume and a500k pots for the tone knobs? And that the a500k's are audio taper/log and the b500k's are linear? Just seems backwards from what I expected.

I'm planning some overhaul work to the guitar and expected to find 300k pots because of how bassy the guitar is (although part of me expected and knew it was also the dimarzio super distortion I put in it years ago).

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I've got Senheiser HD-280 Pros and they "click" every so often while I'm using Reaper. Doesn't happen during music play back. I want to say it's related to pan because it's clearly a Left or Right click, but I can't isolate it.

Any ideas?

Doesn't happen while I'm listening to music outside of Reaper.

Turns out my monitor headphone jack is very very bad.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 8, 2020

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!

If you want to make fun EDM-y chiptunes, Ableton is totally fine, you get the Suite for free for 90 days these days if you want to try it out: https://www.ableton.com/en/trial/ . Get a cheapo MIDI interface keyboard too like the Launchkey 49 so you don't have to use your computer keyboard. You can spend a ton of time on music theory, but I think it's ultimately going to distract you from getting results in the short term. As long as you vaguely know what a major and natural minor scale are, you can make a decent bass line or drone pad of some kind and just hit keys on your lead track until something sounds good in relation to that bass line.

What I would do if I were just starting out: take the beginner EDM Ableton courses on noiselab.io/ . I would get on Splice.com and find samples for kicks, snares and hi hats that I like, put them all in a drum rack. Rent-to-own Serum. I would find Serum presets (either included by default or in free packs or on Splice) that give me the bass sound I like, a couple of lead, pluck, pad presets. I would figure out how reverb and delay return tracks work in Ableton, since especially Reverb is key to make anything sound extra good. Serum will have those same effects inside of it too, so you can choose to use either those or the Ableton ones, doesn't really matter. Ableton's saturator too, to add a little extra oomph to anything that sounds wimpy. Figure out how Ableton automation works so you can automate filter cutoff changes over time if you want.

That's about it. You now can build a track by combining that drum rack of samples you chose with bass, lead and pad synths. Four separate MIDI tracks isn't too thrilling, but it's a start if you're literally trying to get something from nothing in under 24 hours. Roughly, that's the foundation of just about every electronic music track ever. The problem is that, if you've never done an electronic track before, you have no idea what the conventions are, so your best bet is to make a ton of covers of simple tracks you really like and you'll learn A TON from that, building your own patterns that resonate with you. I wouldn't spend too much time on synthesis, it's an endless black hole of time that you can avoid by saving which presets you like instead of crafting your own from scratch. The really tough part is IMO arranging, which there isn't really a "tutorial" for. You can learn the conventions of your favorite genre and try to work within those until you're ready to branch out and do something different.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 10, 2020

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Hello all, I have an incredibly dumb and stupid broad question. I want to start mucking about with looping stuff. I have a CP300 stage piano that I play, but other than that I don't muck about with music production much at all. I also have an unopened launchpad (the original from like 6 years ago)

I figure I can get ableton, and put it on my mac book. Thats fine. But I was wondering if you guys could recommend me some basic hardware for some looping nonsense and maybe a semi decent microphone for recording vocals (my voice is bad I'll need to figure out what to do about that).

I realize this is a super broad and dumb question but I just have all this time and want to turn the little diddies I constantly think up into something more. Maybe this question makes no sense (I have no idea what I am asking really) but maybe you guys know of a good resource for getting started down this path?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

DreadCthulhu posted:

If you want to make fun EDM-y chiptunes, Ableton is totally fine, you get the Suite for free for 90 days these days if you want to try it out: https://www.ableton.com/en/trial/ . Get a cheapo MIDI interface keyboard too like the Launchkey 49 so you don't have to use your computer keyboard. You can spend a ton of time on music theory, but I think it's ultimately going to distract you from getting results in the short term. As long as you vaguely know what a major and natural minor scale are, you can make a decent bass line or drone pad of some kind and just hit keys on your lead track until something sounds good in relation to that bass line.

What I would do if I were just starting out: take the beginner EDM Ableton courses on noiselab.io/ . I would get on Splice.com and find samples for kicks, snares and hi hats that I like, put them all in a drum rack. Rent-to-own Serum. I would find Serum presets (either included by default or in free packs or on Splice) that give me the bass sound I like, a couple of lead, pluck, pad presets. I would figure out how reverb and delay return tracks work in Ableton, since especially Reverb is key to make anything sound extra good. Serum will have those same effects inside of it too, so you can choose to use either those or the Ableton ones, doesn't really matter. Ableton's saturator too, to add a little extra oomph to anything that sounds wimpy. Figure out how Ableton automation works so you can automate filter cutoff changes over time if you want.

That's about it. You now can build a track by combining that drum rack of samples you chose with bass, lead and pad synths. Four separate MIDI tracks isn't too thrilling, but it's a start if you're literally trying to get something from nothing in under 24 hours. Roughly, that's the foundation of just about every electronic music track ever. The problem is that, if you've never done an electronic track before, you have no idea what the conventions are, so your best bet is to make a ton of covers of simple tracks you really like and you'll learn A TON from that, building your own patterns that resonate with you. I wouldn't spend too much time on synthesis, it's an endless black hole of time that you can avoid by saving which presets you like instead of crafting your own from scratch. The really tough part is IMO arranging, which there isn't really a "tutorial" for. You can learn the conventions of your favorite genre and try to work within those until you're ready to branch out and do something different.

Awesome thanks for the effortpost

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So I have a really dumb Flute question. What end of the instrument does the sound come out of, the mouthpiece or the bell end? I always assumed it was the bell a la sax/trumpet/every other wind instrument, but I stumbled upon some Jethro Tull videos and Ian Anderson's mic is always in-line with the mouthpiece not the bell, which I found really strange. You cant mic up the mouthpiece on brass, obviously, but I don't see how a mouthpiece mic makes a flute louder if the sound is from the bell end.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Mouthpiece end. Just think of a flute as a really fancy version of blowing across the top of a beer bottle.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

It actually comes out in two spots, the headjoint and wherever the end of the tube is -which depends on what keys are depressed - which makes it freaking impossible to mic properly. But there's enough resonance in the headjoint (and it's more consistent than any other spot) so we mic it there. Mic-ing at the headjoint also preserves the articulation the best, which for someone like Jethro Tull is pretty important to the effect he's going for.

Anime Reference posted:

Mouthpiece end. Just think of a flute as a really fancy version of blowing across the top of a beer bottle.

100%, that's exactly how I teach my beginners to play it. I'm like "it's like making a noise with a water bottle except harder, because look at how tiny the hole is"

edit: Pieces of a flute are called headjoint - body - foot or footjoint. There's no bell on a flute, bells are, well, bell-shaped.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

I'd love to shop around for great covers for my tracks for SoundCloud. What's a good site that might have them for sale?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DreadCthulhu posted:

I forgot to ask, I do have like a full size USB piano keyboard already, can I just use that with it or do I need to get a small one, like will it be cumbersome to try and use the full thing with it

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Do you guys have any preferred online resources for bouncing creative ideas off of other people that aren't necessarily of technical or of the "give me feedback on my track" sort of nature? Stuff like album art, band names, branding ideas, that sort of thing.

As a solo artist trying to get stuff out there and not having a big circle of like-minded creatives yet, sometimes I feel like I can go crazy with indecision over this sort of stuff.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

DreadCthulhu posted:

Amazing post, thanks!

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Do you guys have any preferred online resources for bouncing creative ideas off of other people that aren't necessarily of technical or of the "give me feedback on my track" sort of nature? Stuff like album art, band names, branding ideas, that sort of thing.

As a solo artist trying to get stuff out there and not having a big circle of like-minded creatives yet, sometimes I feel like I can go crazy with indecision over this sort of stuff.

I suppose making a discord and/or facebook page for this particular thing would be pretty cool? :)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The guitar discord is pretty good for musical discussion! https://discord.gg/PPWfZU. Several of us, myself included, are working on albums and love to get and give songwriting input

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
All of a sudden, all of the youtube people I followed who talked about music got into the gear review business and are boring. I used to follow Haimbach, RedMeansRecording, etc. does anyone have any recommendations for youtube channels that deal with actual music making and theory? David Bruce and Adam Neely are the only ones that made it through the purge.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Adam Neely, Andrew Huang, and Ben Levin are my main follows. Ben Levin seems to have lost his loving mind lately in a very entertaining way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28U5YQUd860

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
a lot of people are blaming youtube's copyright strike policy for killing music education channels but the real issue is like every other google product it's primarily an advertising platform, so if your goal is to make money doing youtube videos by necessity you become an advertiser. it's not limited to music channels either

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 24, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hell, I'd be tempted, I can't imagine the sorts of goodies that get tossed at you

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

12tone is my favourite musc theory tuber because his videos are compact and I like his elephants.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

The Muppets On PCP posted:

a lot of people are blaming youtube's copyright strike policy for killing music education channels but the real issue is like every other google product it's primarily an advertising platform, so if your goal is to make money doing youtube videos by necessity you become an advertiser. it's not limited to music channels either

I don't blame them but also the recent reviews done at the same time is incredibly annoying. They don't owe me content, I don't owe them views or money on their patreon.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

Adam Neely, Andrew Huang, and Ben Levin are my main follows. Ben Levin seems to have lost his loving mind lately in a very entertaining way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28U5YQUd860

Thanks, I'll have to re-check out Ben Levin. Last time I subbed it felt like he was trying to find his focus and also his voice grates on me in a special way but anything is better than four reviews of the same piece of equipment by four different content creators.

Siivola posted:

12tone is my favourite musc theory tuber because his videos are compact and I like his elephants.

12tone is so excellent.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, 12tone rules! And I definitely get that about Ben Levin; his presentation skills used to be absolutely terrible even when he was doing interesting topics. He seems to have decided to actually put some effort in lately, though.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I like David Bruce Composer

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh-PyMficPzVAihCJkFJVAA

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Have any of you tried producing music with high end IEMs like the UE Pro Reference Remastered? I live in an area that's outrageously loud during certain times of the day, people playing music outside on boomboxes making regular studio monitors useless, and getting a nice custom mold ear seal should trim a good chunk of dB from the outside. It likely wouldn't be my main set of "monitors" though.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Someone tell me I'm a big ol' dumbdumb idiot and to not buy one of the results off facebook market for "Concertina" or "Accordion"

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Why not? Just treat it like buying a used car in a private sale, mentally add $$ to the price because it will undoubtedly need some hidden repair.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

buy an accordion, they’re great. check it out before handing over the cash though (well, venmoing more likely)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Does anyone have an NI A-Series and use Ableton? I've googled a lot and it seems like the integration is just ... not there, unless you use weirdo NI software? I just want the 8 knobs to do effect / instrument rack macros. Like keyboards that cost half as much do.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

If nothing else you can make your own map, right? You should be able to just click the map button and then click the parameter you want to control and then wiggle the knob and it'll bind. No idea if there's a mode or something where you wouldn't have to make a map for every instrument or w/e though

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
From looking at using my Maschine (arrived earlier this week, love it as long as you take it on its own terms) with Cubase as a midi controller, the NI hardware really wants you to use it with their software rather than as a generic controller.
I need to figure out how to get my Nektar stuff to control the macros in it, if this can be done. If not I'm happy to get one of the little A Series' next time they're on sale. Shame they don't just do a teeny little 8 knobs only thing like those ancient Novation Nocturns.

https://blog.b2fab.com/2018/11/18/controlling-ableton-with-the-komplete-kontrol-a49/ mostly tells you how to do it, though it directs you to the manual for a small part.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm thinking of getting a Kalimba and an Orcarina. Any negatives against getting one?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Kalimbas hurt my thumbs but I'm sure that's just because I don't play them enough to develop calluses. They're both fun instruments, go for it!

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm thinking of getting a Kalimba and an Orcarina. Any negatives against getting one?

Mic a kalimba with a piezo as well as a room mic and process it with heavy delay and it sounds awesome.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is FL Studio Mobile any good on Android?

I'm looking at picking up a cheapish android tablet for reasons unrelated to making music, and although I'm using Ableton on a desktop PC as my DAW, I thought it might be fun to have something I can use away from the PC for making audio loops or whatever and then transferring into Ableton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Mic a kalimba with a piezo as well as a room mic and process it with heavy delay and it sounds awesome.

Obligatory Congotronics post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJFpYV-Aw9Y