Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Crappy Jack posted:

Also playing as Yagami highlights the fact that, while Kiryu is a wonderful father and a fearsome fighter, he's also kind of an idiot. Yagami will actually bother to do things like, you know, make sure there are no bullets left in a gun so somebody can't grab it and shoot you.

Yep! Additionally, Yagami fucks and Kiryu does not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

rideANDxORdie posted:

Constantly having different XP and leveling systems is tiring. Is this because I'm playing them in chronological story order as opposed to IRL release order? I don't have a problem with any one way per se, it's just weird to go from money = XP in 0, to XP points in 1, to the different XP orbs in Kiwami 2.

You actually are playing them in release order

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
kiryu doesnt need to gently caress, his heat is too powerful.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
It's probably better to play Judgment early on, after playing all the yakuzas the Hard mode is too easy and the hardest difficulty is ng+ only.

That is basically my only complaint about the game, it's hella good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yes yes loving yesssssss :yeshaha:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

Also playing as Yagami highlights the fact that, while Kiryu is a wonderful father and a fearsome fighter, he's also kind of an idiot.
While I appreciate Judgment's story and gameplay and side content and everything really and I recognize it's a good game, I think that's a large chunk of the reason it ultimately didn't really click with me.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Ayabe looks weird in a suit 😟

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i finished kiwami's story and overall i really enjoyed it, almost as much as 0, but it's amazing how much better and more artfully presented 0's story is. does the storytelling steadily improve as the series goes on? you can really feel how 0 benefits of a decade of perfecting the style and tone of the series, in both the main plot and substories

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I take it that beating the story missions in Yakuza 0 dancing is just random chance? Currently on Isobe, I've put up perfect runs against her on Normal, hit both Fevers, and she still magics up 1000 points more than me.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
It’s easier to do them on Hard because the AI makes more mistakes there, despite perfectly inputting more steps than you ever could

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

My Lovely Horse posted:

While I appreciate Judgment's story and gameplay and side content and everything really and I recognize it's a good game, I think that's a large chunk of the reason it ultimately didn't really click with me.

Yeah I absolutely agree. Kiryu just doing the most boneheaded face first confrontation possible works for him, for yagami it feels really out of place

And yeah the danceoffs in 0 shouldn't have had difficulty levels , the competition formula means the harder the difficulty the easier to win

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Weedle posted:

i finished kiwami's story and overall i really enjoyed it, almost as much as 0, but it's amazing how much better and more artfully presented 0's story is. does the storytelling steadily improve as the series goes on? you can really feel how 0 benefits of a decade of perfecting the style and tone of the series, in both the main plot and substories

Yes and no, K2 (the remake of Yakuza 2) is the best Yakuza game at nailing the "Japanese crime film as video game" feeling, they switched writers after that and Y3/4/5 are fun but a little unfocused.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'm under the impression thus far that she's just rubberbanding like an rear end in a top hat. Playing on Hard now, if I screw it up somewhat, I'll typically lose by around 6000 to 7000. If I put together a god run and scarcely mess up at all, I'll lose 7000 to 8000.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DeathChicken posted:

I'm under the impression thus far that she's just rubberbanding like an rear end in a top hat. Playing on Hard now, if I screw it up somewhat, I'll typically lose by around 6000 to 7000. If I put together a god run and scarcely mess up at all, I'll lose 7000 to 8000.

You know you have to move around the target square before hitting it, right? Don't just sit on it and wait

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I am, but her points literally go up by an equivalent amount if I increase my score that way. I nudge myself to 7500, she's now at 8500.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Get aggressive at hitting lots of steps, play on hard, and don't gently caress up. You'll get it eventually by a combination of being good and the AI randomly loving up a bit

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It can be very very difficult to beat Isobe in particular on sheer number of steps. IIRC If you play on hard though she'll make a mistake now and then, so even if you do no extra steps at all if you can do the run with no misses you'll win no matter how many steps you did.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, finally ended up winning by 12 points(!). 7592 to 7580

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I keep dreaming of a Yakuza 0-2 in the Dragon Engine

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yakuza Kiwami-er

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
I'd rather have 3-5. Kiwami 2 is in the dragon engine isn't it?

Just finished a hard playthrough of 0 and that final sequence can be rough with insufficient heals and upgrades. Gonna be rough on Legend but I'll also go in more prepared.

I think of all these games Kiwami 1 probably has the best combat? Judgement is up there too but I wasn't a fan of the critical hits or whatever they were called.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Just finished a hard playthrough of 0 and that final sequence can be rough with insufficient heals and upgrades. Gonna be rough on Legend but I'll also go in more prepared.

I think of all these games Kiwami 1 probably has the best combat? Judgement is up there too but I wasn't a fan of the critical hits or whatever they were called.

They mean a sequel to 0. :v:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i'm not sure what they did between 0 and kiwami but kiwami's fighting definitely feels better in some way. kiryu feels slightly less "sticky" i guess?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

You think k1 has the best combat? Interesting, I didn't play it seriously enough (only game I've done on easy) to realize that

I like the 6/k2 combat a lot, and am torn between 4 and 5 for best non kiryu combat (kiryu in 5 is silly over powered , it's great). I feel like dodging work better in 4 and the individual chars have better combat than 5

Akiyamas air launch in 5 stinks, and shinada has nothing compared to tachibana

All the additions in judgment like mortal wounds and wall attacks didn't work at all

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 5, 2020

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm a big fan of Yakuza Kiwami combat because, while enemies do block a lot, they can't block when you hit them from the back. So you're encouraged to watch enemy patterns and wait for a moment to get behind them and get them in a nice long combo. Honestly it feels great.

This is in stark contrast to say, Yakuza 3, where enemies auto-block all the time and have incredible tracking on you so your only options are to (A) cheese the game with bladed weapons and guns or (B) cheese the game with tiger drop. Applies to a lesser extent to Kiwami 2 and 6, but you definitely have more leeway there. Still sucks when you start a combo on someone and oops, they block halfway through it, gently caress you

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Arzaac posted:

I'm a big fan of Yakuza Kiwami combat because, while enemies do block a lot, they can't block when you hit them from the back. So you're encouraged to watch enemy patterns and wait for a moment to get behind them and get them in a nice long combo. Honestly it feels great.

This is in stark contrast to say, Yakuza 3, where enemies auto-block all the time and have incredible tracking on you so your only options are to (A) cheese the game with bladed weapons and guns or (B) cheese the game with tiger drop. Applies to a lesser extent to Kiwami 2 and 6, but you definitely have more leeway there. Still sucks when you start a combo on someone and oops, they block halfway through it, gently caress you

Yakuza 3 is all about ABG: Always Be Grabbin'. Grabs can't be blocked, and very few enemies do the kick escape from a leg grab compared to any of the other games, so once someone goes down they turn into a weapon to hit everyone else with until they get knocked out.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

mastershakeman posted:

You think k1 has the best combat? Interesting, I didn't play it seriously enough (only game I've done on easy) to realize that

I like the 6/k2 combat a lot, and am torn between 4 and 5 for best non kiryu combat (kiryu in 5 is silly over powered , it's great). I feel like dodging work better in 4 and the individual chars have better combat than 5

Amiyamas air launch in 5 stinks, and shinada has nothing compared to tachibana

I like having the different style options on the fly which is why I rate K1, 0, and Judgement so highly; more options if you're frustrated with an enemy or dealing with groups. I do think K2 and 6 feel really good to move around in but lack as much variety. The older games feel pretty good, love them all, but are less refined versions of what will come later.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Dewgy posted:

once someone goes down they turn into a weapon to hit everyone else with until they get knocked out.

Bikes and dudes laying on the ground are OP in a few of these games.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Weedle posted:

i'm not sure what they did between 0 and kiwami but kiwami's fighting definitely feels better in some way. kiryu feels slightly less "sticky" i guess?

I might be wrong here but I think it's because kiwami has more "you attack faster now" upgrades. at least I remember at the end of the Dragon style tree Kiryu attacks almost as fast as Rush style

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Dewgy posted:

Yakuza 3 is all about ABG: Always Be Grabbin'. Grabs can't be blocked, and very few enemies do the kick escape from a leg grab compared to any of the other games, so once someone goes down they turn into a weapon to hit everyone else with until they get knocked out.

Wait, does that work on bosses? Grabs have pretty much always been useful for group fights in like every Yakuza game, but group fights usually aren't the issue (outside gun battles like the end of Yakuza 1 and 4). The issue tends to be bosses, who still have the auto-block but are also functionally immune to grabs in most cases.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Bikes and dudes laying on the ground are OP in a few of these games.

at least in the ones i've played beast mode with a bike in hand is basically a "win fight" button

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Bikes are how I got thru rando fights for the first bits of Y6 (and even after leveling up, they were still viable)

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Holy shiiiit Judgment’s story

This game is literally nothing line Yakuza in writing

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Weedle posted:

You don't get faster from having more Heat anymore, you're just always at a decent speed and only get faster from there so that might help.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Arzaac posted:

Wait, does that work on bosses? Grabs have pretty much always been useful for group fights in like every Yakuza game, but group fights usually aren't the issue (outside gun battles like the end of Yakuza 1 and 4). The issue tends to be bosses, who still have the auto-block but are also functionally immune to grabs in most cases.

In 3 yeah. I would do square square triangle triangle (I think that's the one with the hands together slam and then upswing) then immediately go for grab since they'd block. With a lot of bosses I'd either get the throw off or do a komaki counter since they'd be attacking back , worked well

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Yakuza 3 got pretty wacky at the end there. Probably my least favorite so far but I still enjoyed it and it was worth the playthrough, I didn't really go out of my way to do any side stuff though. The combat wasn't really too bullshit outside of all the blocking everyone mentioned. I need a little break but I am excited to move on to these weird multiple character games

isk
Oct 3, 2007

robot roll call posted:

Yakuza 3 got pretty wacky at the end there.

:allears:

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Really I just loved all the lovely english voice acting

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azFN16A81N8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Doing the Special Training for the hostesses in Y0, I was always surprised by how deep Saki's voice was. I had to look up some of her...ah, work and yea, that's how she sounds. I didn't realize they actually got the women to voice their characters.