Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm still sampling random games from my giant box so you'll still have to read about it. I mean, unless you skip this post. Then I guess you don't have to.

Route 16 Turbo - Oh, hey, a maze chase game. I actually think that I have all of them on Famicom except for the Pac-Man games now. This one's big thing is that you go in and out of rooms as you hunt down treasures and checkpoints. You have a big zoomed out view were you can see the 4x4 grid of rooms which are randomly numbered and then go inside to see what the maze in the room is. The controls feel sloppy in this one and the enemy AI is flaky, depending on poor maze design to trap you rather than boxing the player in. Not a great game.

Galaga - Namco game #5. More companies should have numbered their releases, though I think it would have driven me insane. Okay, more insane. Anyway, if Galaxian was a good port, Galaga is a perfect port. I was seriously impressed. They cut off the side of the screen and put the score and lives there to give the play area an aspect ratio like the arcade and all of the sound effects are dead on. I think the colors are slightly off probably due to the Famicom having limited options.

Exerion - Jaleco game #1. What an odd shooter. It's got a psuedo-3D view where you're flying over a planet with terrain and your ship has a lot of momentum to it. You have a double fire main gun that shoots slowly and a rapid fire single shot gun that has limited bullets. You get one bullet every time you hit an enemy so if you hit every time with the rapid fire you can shoot indefinitely. Enemies come down in waves and have to be cleaned out to trigger the next wave. It feels like a near miss where more complex enemy patterns would make this one more interesting and the flickery, slow frame rate background could definitely use improvement.

Fist of the North Star - I wish I was already dead after playing this. If you don't know how this game works, it's effectively impossible to make any progress; there's doorways you can interact with but they're flaky as hell so if you don't know that you can do this then you'll try once and go, "I guess those are just background." You also have to collect power ups from guys who hardly ever spawn, then get to the boss at the end of the maze of levels. The boss will just run back and forth as fast as you can move so it's boring even if you manage to collect enough power ups to go after them.

Empire City 1931 - Oh man, this was a disappointment. This is a shooting gallery style game where mobsters pop out of doors and windows and you have to move your cursor over them and hit them. There are some circular stages that you can freely scroll around and mobsters can pop out anywhere so arrows point your way to them when they're off screen. The thing is, it's not very energetic. Pop one mobster, wait five seconds for the arrow to appear, scroll over to where the next mobster is slowly emerging, shoot them, repeat. Maybe later stages improve but I got to the fifth one figuring this out and that's all there was.

Yume Penguin Monogatari - Somehow I've dodged playing any of the Konami games I picked up until now and this one is one I've been looking forward to digging into. A chubby penguin is chasing after his girlfriend who has gone off with a Chad penguin. Goon penguin has to lose weight has he platforms to get her back. Enemies shoot food at you which makes you put on weight while diet drinks make you lose it. Really good platformer/shooter that's a lot of fun. Reminds me of Dracula-kun which Konami made at the same time with its cute graphics and mix of play styles. I had to stop this one so I could get on to more games since I would have kept going for a while.

Karateka - Control Jordan Mechner's brother as he punches his way through an army of kung fu guys and one stupid hawk. It looks just like the Apple II version, but it feels like it plays much easier. Yes, I got hit by that stupid hawk while I was running in the dojo.

Moai-kun - I guess Konami liked "kun" in their titles in 1991. Another Konami game I cut short because I'd be at it all night if I kept playing. This one is a puzzle platformer where a Moai head that can headbutt things to break them or beat enemies has to rescue his friends and get to an exit door. The platforming is a bit finicky, especially since your hop is super tiny. Still pretty neat and more fun than Flappy (the sokoban/boulderdash game I played yesterday) due to a more pleasant presentation.

Formation Z - Jaleco game #2 and it's another shooter. This one feels very early 80's Japan as it's about a giant robot that turns into a jet to blow up invading aliens all over the world. The robot has limited fuel so you have to regularly pick up gas tanks to keep going. If you die, you don't get a full tank of gas, either. It's faster paced than Exerion but it's so fast that you pretty much have to memorize the positions of the fuel tanks on the ground to even be able to play. There's a lot of tiny enemies, too; like 5x5 pixel enemies.

Tiny Toon Adventure 2 - Who cares about the game, I've got another early 90's Konami catalog in this box! They're advertising Konami's own console the Picno (it dies really fast), Nanonote which was for the Game Boy, and an infrared SNES controller.

Anyway, the game itself is a set of minigames/levels that you can play in any order, each starring a different member from the cartoon. The stages are kind of long and one screw up and you're kicked out, so this is a tough one. I'm not feeling so great about this one from trying out all of the games; it feels like there isn't much here so they just cranked up the difficulty.

Zippy Race - Irem game #1. I was expecting a bad game going in but this one is really bad. It's a top down racing game where you have a really close in view of the cars and your motorcycle. Cars all move to block you until just before they reach your vertical position and you turn so slowly it's hard to do anything. Not very zippy.

Thexder - The first game for the Famicom from Square, though they didn't number their cart. I've played the 80's PC port of this one. It wasn't great there even back then, the Famicom port is best used for punishment. You're a robot that turns into a jet, the jet can never stop moving and can fly through small spaces. You wander through mazes and shoot enemies who take way too many hits to be interesting. The controls are just awful in this game, even when you understand them.

Warp Man - Namco game #8. I've played the original arcade game it's not great. This is an improvement but not that much of one. It's a single screen arcade shooter where you have to shoot a set number of monsters to clear the board. Pick up an icon and you can enter a hole to a more traditional maze (that looks more like the arcade) where instead of a gun you have bombs like Bomberman. The extra enemies and new style of attack make it more diverse than the original arcade at least.

Mappy - Namco game #4. I love Mappy and this is a nice port. Is it weird that there's an entire Mappy franchise on the Famicom? I still need to get Mappy Kids to complete the set...

Gegege no Kitaro - Yeah, this is definitely the best of the early Bandai games. They turned this into Ninja Kid in the US and I'd put money on that being the original theme and they put the cartoon on it. Run around some stages where you either collect a bunch of stuff or kill a bunch of stuff, then get access to a boss. It's simple but it controls well.

Tiny Toon Adventures - A solid platformer from Konami but not as cool as some of the other Konami games I've played tonight.

Motocross Champion - Konami's five year later answer to Excitebike in crazy zippy with your bike whipping around at the slightest push on the control pad. I spent ten minutes trying to find out if there were more than the two short tracks that are visible for practice from the start and I still don't know because it's also a bit challenging when you're racing against other bikes.

Nuts and Milk - The very first third part Famicom game. It's kind of a weird platformer in the style of early arcade games. Collect all the fruit on the stage and then get to the exit point. The iconography of the level is confusing with what appear to be fences as things you can both climb and stand on.

Kinnikuman a.k.a. M.U.S.C.L.E. - I think this is the first cart I've put where I hoped it wouldn't work. Turns out I even had to clean this abomination to get it to work. I played my obligatory one match to confirm that it's still one of the absolute worst things ever committed to silicon and now it can go away.

Son Son - The last of the Micronics Capcom games. Son Son is a game best described as "okay" in the arcade version, this port is so flickery it's hard to play.

Super Mario Bros. - Cleared in ten minutes. I still got it.

Circus Charlie - While it wasn't published by them, this is Konami's first Famicom game. I kind of like the arcade game, too. This is a solid port, but I wish it had the level selection like the arcade does.

Tetrastar: The Fighter - Taito game #37. You know how the super scalar ports that Sunsoft did of Sega games to the Famicom (and were published sometimes by Tengen in the US) were godawful? What if, and this is going to sound crazy, they were amazingly good. This is basically Space Harrier on the Famicom with classical music. It's smooth, fast, has some cool scaling effects, and aliens did 9/11 (pretend I put a gif of the 8-bit twin towers getting blown up here, but I'm not playing through my capture device and nobody online seemed to have trouble shooting down the missiles that blow up the World Trade Center in the first stage like I did). I stopped playing for lack of time, but this one is going to be awesome.

Dig Dug - Namco game #6. They used the same trick as Galaxian to make the screen ratio match the arcade a bit better. It's a good port, but this one is further away from the arcade than the others with the colors being noticeably less vibrant.

Edit: Page 640k should be enough for anybody.

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I have a green Brawler 64 pad and it’s really great, I’ll probably end up buying a second at some point.

The Brawler 64 is my preferred N64 controller at this point. I have a few Nintendo knock offs, one Nintendo with a kind of functional stick, and one which has gone completely floppy and the Brawler just more comfortable to use.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Help: I bought a hori mini 64 controller and now I can't afford to feed my family.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Help: I bought a hori mini 64 controller and now I can't afford to feed my family.

Buy more hori mini 64 controllers.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Anyone got any opinions on the new Nintendo 64 third party controllers? Hyperkin, Retro bit, retro fighters etc.

I've got a Hori mini and loved it, but haven't used it since I got a set of Retofighter Brawler64s.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I thought this quick little video was an awesome find for anyone a fan of Earthbound's sampling history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fert4MIhBQw

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Buy more hori mini 64 controllers.

Yes

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I thought this quick little video was an awesome find for anyone a fan of Earthbound's sampling history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fert4MIhBQw

That doesn't match the sound or work as a sample. It also doesn't make a lot of sense that a sound designer in Japan would hear and record a US commercial to get a sample from.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

That doesn't match the sound or work as a sample. It also doesn't make a lot of sense that a sound designer in Japan would hear and record a US commercial to get a sample from.

I don’t think they’re similar either but it’s not that far fetched. Nintendo famously sued Blockbuster and settled so people in Japan were aware of the chain. Also Tanaka and Suzuki were very familiar with Western pop culture so I can totally see them having a box of foreign VHS tapes. How else would they have gotten a specific sample from Monty Python?

Gun Hazard has a baffling sample from Dog Tribe buried in it when there’s absolutely no reason for it’s inclusion so who knows, all of SNES’ samples had to be sent to Nintendo directly for conversion. That “wow” is out there somewhere.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

My money's on the EB devs and blockbuster marketing people having coincidentally pulled the same sample from a commercial sound library.

Pretty good fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 6, 2020

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Youtuber should have at least tried to raise the pitch to match them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

falz posted:

I guess we're all bored and bad with money.

Don’t doxx me.

I’ve been doing research on android phones/ tablets for emulation and it’s pretty amazing what you can get for $100ish bucks.

PS2 emulation is actually a thing on these things and that’s crazy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

MarcusSA posted:

Don’t doxx me.

I’ve been doing research on android phones/ tablets for emulation and it’s pretty amazing what you can get for $100ish bucks.

PS2 emulation is actually a thing on these things and that’s crazy.

PS2 for $100? What device?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

PS2 for $100? What device?

I was looking at the Lenovo Z5s which is like $116 on AliExpress.

It gets like 30-40 FPS in DMC but the reviewer was saying the ps2 emulator for Android still needs a lot of work.

This is the guy I follow that reviews a lot of the cheaper android phones for emulation.

https://youtu.be/ZKX-FooRsfI

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I was looking at the Lenovo Z5s which is like $116 on AliExpress.

It gets like 30-40 FPS in DMC but the reviewer was saying the ps2 emulator for Android still needs a lot of work.

This is the guy I follow that reviews a lot of the cheaper android phones for emulation.

https://youtu.be/ZKX-FooRsfI

other console performance looked very impressive, but even on the more expensive phone from the link, ps2 emulation left a lot to be desired

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

other console performance looked very impressive, but even on the more expensive phone from the link, ps2 emulation left a lot to be desired

Yeah it’s the emulators they aren’t making much progress I guess.

PSP at 3x is pretty legit though for $200. A lot of phones really struggle with PSP.

It’s just wild that we are at the point where cheap phones are able to emulate this stuff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i recently learned that even a decent pc rig can struggle with accurately running certain ps2 games, like the ratchet and clank series. some parts of the console are just hard to emulate.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GutBomb posted:

I have an RGB modded NES and I'm noticing some really weird issues. None of the issues happen when using regular carts but I get weird graphical glitches when playing a game using an everdrive n8. I suspected the everdrive was an issue so I got a brand new one and still get the same problem. Tried different roms on a different sd card, different firmware too. The game starts fine with no glitching, play for a few minutes and eventually it goes like this. The game continues to be "playable" through the glitches, but obviously it's hard to see anything.

It doesn't do it with every game though. On the everdrive Super Mario Bros 1, Super Mario Bros 2, and Rolling Thunder all do it, but Kirby's adventure, and Crisis Force don't. None of my regular carts do it.

I'm stumped as to what could be causing it. If it were a PPU issue or 72 pin connector I'd think it would do it from the get-go and with any cart. I did clean, reseat, and try a different 72 pin connector and it made no difference. Maybe the VRAM? I saw someone else that had a similar intermittent glitch because the hex inverter chip was weird but I tried his troubleshooting steps and didn't seem to be the same thing. Only other thing I can think of is maybe it's a power supply issue (I only have an OEM one). I eliminated the power strip and tried different outlets with no change. I do have a parts NES that has everything but a PPU so I can try swapping stuff around if anyone has any suggestions.

XtraSmiley posted:

drat, it sounds like you are on top of it! Please post the outcome when you do get them in, it's like a mystery now!

If anyone remembers this from late March, the replacement clone PPU arrived yesterday and did indeed fix the issue. Everdrive games work perfectly just like regular carts now.

In the end I tried a bunch of troubleshooting steps. I swapped RAM chips around from another NES, I swapped the hex inverter chip from another NES, cleaned the 72 pin connector and bent the pins back out, did the same to another 72 pin connector and tried it, and none of these things worked. I tried the everdrive on a different NES and didn’t get the problem, tried a different everdrive on my NES and got the same issues. I ordered some clone PPU chips (probably from the Dendy and other famicom clone machines) from aliexpress and 35 days later they arrived. This is what finally fixed the issue.

I must have borked the PPU when I was desoldering it from the NES to install the NESRGB kit. There are 4 pins in particular that take a lot of effort to get out and at the time I didn’t have a desoldering gun. I just used my iron and a manual solder sucker, heating the chip pins from the top side and removing the solder from the bottom side. It took about 45 minutes and applied a lot of heat to the internals of that chip. Conversely, I’ve since bought myself a nice desoldering gun and have done the same job in about 2 minutes, exposing that chip to much less heat.

Use the proper tools, dudes.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 6, 2020

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So in the past couple of days I've gone down a rabbit hole of Japanese books about old games. I'm probably ordering a couple of those complete guides to some platforms (like the guide to all LCD games and the guide to all strategy guides) because those are kind of cool neat books. However, I also found レトロゲーム美少女グラフィティー which is roughly "Retro Game Babe Guide" and it's a collection of images of women from old games along with how they developed in later games. It's so weird that I'm kind of tempted to get it, but I feel like that's one step short of buying small plastic statues of women wearing hardly any clothes...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don’t think a single one of those characters has been in a game beyond 1994 except maybe Valis girl who think had a late 90s hentai. Maybe Cotton witch? Do they make new Cotton games or is that series like one game that got rereleased 80 times?? Interesting to see Layla get a shoutout, I feel like that wasn’t even popular in Japan.

I’d buy that guide just because I love love love 80s/early 90s anime aesthetic.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 6, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

GutBomb posted:

If anyone remembers this from late March, the replacement clone PPU arrived yesterday and did indeed fix the issue. Everdrive games work perfectly just like regular carts now.

In the end I tried a bunch of troubleshooting steps. I swapped RAM chips around from another NES, I swapped the hex inverter chip from another NES, cleaned the 72 pin connector and bent the pins back out, did the same to another 72 pin connector and tried it, and none of these things worked. I tried the everdrive on a different NES and didn’t get the problem, tried a different everdrive on my NES and got the same issues. I ordered some clone PPU chips (probably from the Dendy and other famicom clone machines) from aliexpress and 35 days later they arrived. This is what finally fixed the issue.

I must have borked the PPU when I was desoldering it from the NES to install the NESRGB kit. There are 4 pins in particular that take a lot of effort to get out and at the time I didn’t have a desoldering gun. I just used my iron and a manual solder sucker, heating the chip pins from the top side and removing the solder from the bottom side. It took about 45 minutes and applied a lot of heat to the internals of that chip. Conversely, I’ve since bought myself a nice desoldering gun and have done the same job in about 2 minutes, exposing that chip to much less heat.

I did an nesrgb mod a long time ago and it went fine. Then just recently I did it again for my toaster that was going to be hooked up to my "new" crt but only over s video.

I did the mod and every game had garbled graphics. What you'd expect from a bad 72 pin but it still did it even with a blinking light win.

Now stupidly I didn't try this NES before starting the nesrgb mod. So maybe it was junk right out the gate. But I realize that's pretty rare with a toaster. Sure they aren't known for their durability but if you clip the 10NES chip and put in a blinking light win it's pretty drat rare for them to not work.

I wonder if I overheated the PPU. I used the same desoldering thing I used the last time. But I admit it's a super cheap device. It's just a soldering iron with a big red bulb on it. Radio Shack used to sell them for $15. I would buy one of those Hakko guns everyone recommends but I can't justify spending so much money.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

al-azad posted:

Maybe Cotton witch? Do they make new Cotton games or is that series like one game that got rereleased 80 times??
She made an unexpected return in the last couple of years as a DLC character in Trouble Witches Origin and Umihara Kawase Fresh, with a remake of the original game called Cotton Reboot currently scheduled to arrive sometime in the summer, likely accompanied by a new pressing of floppy disks of the X68000 port of the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoWKAseSLCY

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.
Cotton is also apparently in the upcoming Umihara Kawase game, which appears to be some sort of Smash Bros.-style crossover fighter, with grappling (as in grappling hooks, not Zangief).

It's a weird as hell time to be alive for anyone who followed super-niche import games in the late ’90s.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

Cotton is also apparently in the upcoming Umihara Kawase game, which appears to be some sort of Smash Bros.-style crossover fighter, with grappling (as in grappling hooks, not Zangief).

It's a weird as hell time to be alive for anyone who followed super-niche import games in the late ’90s.

The Umihara renaissance is just plain bizarre. I haven't found any of the new games that I like as much as the Super Famicom one, either.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

Cotton is also in Umihara Kawase Fresh, which is currently out on Switch, probably Steam as well. She's kind of an easy-mode character since she can hover around.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Isn't Umihara Kawase one of those franchises Nicalis bought out cheap and just churn games out for now?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I did an nesrgb mod a long time ago and it went fine. Then just recently I did it again for my toaster that was going to be hooked up to my "new" crt but only over s video.

I did the mod and every game had garbled graphics. What you'd expect from a bad 72 pin but it still did it even with a blinking light win.

Now stupidly I didn't try this NES before starting the nesrgb mod. So maybe it was junk right out the gate. But I realize that's pretty rare with a toaster. Sure they aren't known for their durability but if you clip the 10NES chip and put in a blinking light win it's pretty drat rare for them to not work.

I wonder if I overheated the PPU. I used the same desoldering thing I used the last time. But I admit it's a super cheap device. It's just a soldering iron with a big red bulb on it. Radio Shack used to sell them for $15. I would buy one of those Hakko guns everyone recommends but I can't justify spending so much money.

If you do any amount of soldering work regularly the desoldering gun is worth its weight in gold. So is a hot air rework station.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

njsykora posted:

Isn't Umihara Kawase one of those franchises Nicalis bought out cheap and just churn games out for now?
They published some of them in the west, but they don't seem to be involved with the upcoming multiplayer game and they've also been published by other companies like Degica, so doubtful. It's probably owned either by Success Corp (the JP publisher) or Studio Saizensen (the longtime developer).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Djarum posted:

If you do any amount of soldering work regularly the desoldering gun is worth its weight in gold. So is a hot air rework station.

I've modded pretty much every console that can be modded at this point and it's pretty rare that I need to desolder anything. I think this is the only mod that requires it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

al-azad posted:

I’d buy that guide just because I love love love 80s/early 90s anime aesthetic.

Exactly why I'm considering it. :hfive:

and for the record, all of my figures are classy, and fully dressed. :colbert:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Kazvall posted:

Besides what you mentioned, I own the v2, and you have to hit the reset button on the n64 to do save states. It's not too much of a PITA.

Is this just for on the fly save states or for like a regular in game save? The store page on stone age gamer made it seem like you had to do it for regular saves as well.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

Is this just for on the fly save states or for like a regular in game save? The store page on stone age gamer made it seem like you had to do it for regular saves as well.

poo poo, I havent touched my v2 in a minute but it should save normally to the controller pack. Unless we are talking about virtual memory packs? Is that possible?

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

You have to hit reset for anything that would normally save directly to a cartridge. There's no save states on the v2.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

al-azad posted:

I don’t think a single one of those characters has been in a game beyond 1994 except maybe Valis girl who think had a late 90s hentai. Maybe Cotton witch?

Athena, bud!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-vqVC3OaJg

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Random Stranger posted:

Galaga - Namco game #5. More companies should have numbered their releases, though I think it would have driven me insane.

I've been thinking about this more lately since I've started getting into Famicom stuff. It's brilliant in a way, because some peoples broke brains will make them buy games just to have all of the set and/or numbers even if they aren't interested in the game.

Speaking of maybe questionable marketing practices, before Limited Run Games started doing it... apparently Konami included cards with their early Famicom Disk games. And just like Limited Run Games there were multiple cards, but you only got one with your purchase. I got my first FDS game in, I overpaid a slight bit from a US seller just to get the card, Exciting Basketball/Double Dribble.

Double Dribble was one of the first few NES games I played and the slam dunk cut scene blew my young mind. The manual that came with this FDS game is surprisingly nice, it's like a tiny bound book.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

GutBomb posted:

Wow, great and happy end to the story at least!

Yes, I've heard the manual solder sucker sucks, uh, but not in a good way.

What desoldering gun did you get? I'm looking at getting one, but don't want to break the bank.

Here's one I'm looking at, for about $100:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuiiZO8Ye70

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Rinkles posted:

i recently learned that even a decent pc rig can struggle with accurately running certain ps2 games, like the ratchet and clank series. some parts of the console are just hard to emulate.

The Ratchet & Clank games in particular had some straight up coding wizardry. Not even the PS3’s PS2 emulators can handle it very well - the frame rate is the first victim.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

The Ratchet & Clank games in particular had some straight up coding wizardry. Not even the PS3’s PS2 emulators can handle it very well - the frame rate is the first victim.

I remember even the PS3 remasters had to rip out some visual effects.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

KoF Athena Asamiya is technically a different character from the earlier SNK Athena. I think the official explanation is that they're parallel universe versions of each other.

Of course, this doesn't stop them from making more or less constant jokes about it and references to the older version, so I don't know.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SVC Chaos Athena then. She's wearing the original outfit in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Zophar posted:

You have to hit reset for anything that would normally save directly to a cartridge. There's no save states on the v2.

Oh poo poo, yeah that’s a killer feature for me then. I cheated out on my gba cart and the delay on saves drives me nuts and it sucks when I forget to give it the 5 seconds it needs to save. Usually have to fiddle with the sd card from my pc.