Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

I really like the pose of this one, but find the out of focus branches a bit distracting.

Anyone else use Topaz Denoise AI or any other similar tool? Just started playing around with it. This photo was at 1600 ISO

Pine Siskin by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Also, I really miss Central America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

neckbeard posted:

I really like the pose of this one, but find the out of focus branches a bit distracting.

Anyone else use Topaz Denoise AI or any other similar tool? Just started playing around with it. This photo was at 1600 ISO

Pine Siskin by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Also, I really miss Central America

I use topaz sharpen on my macro.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I've been getting a lot of ads for Topaz. Worth it? I definitely get a lot of photos that are nice but not quite there because of noise or sharpness.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DSC_7893.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

oh man, those eyes are awesome

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Mountain Bluebird by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Mountain Bluebirds are back! That means spring is here! gently caress the -15C windchill and snow flurries that were present while I was taking pics today, spring is here.

Also, gently caress Red Tailed Hawks, they're way too skittish, like I can be creeping along in EV mode in my car but you get like within 100m of one and they take off

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
edit:

neckbeard posted:

Mountain Bluebird by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Mountain Bluebirds are back! That means spring is here! gently caress the -15C windchill and snow flurries that were present while I was taking pics today, spring is here.

Also, gently caress Red Tailed Hawks, they're way too skittish, like I can be creeping along in EV mode in my car but you get like within 100m of one and they take off

Quite the opposite for me. I cannot get a picture of the little blue bastards, but Red Tails? Jesus, they're all over the place, and could not give a poo poo about me.

A couple from my "Spring Sucks, It's Worse in Lockdown" Series, coming out soon as an inspirational Netflix docudrama.

Spring Sucks by B. B., on Flickr

Spring Sucks3 by B. B., on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Any way this works? I've been thinking of putting together a series of photos from my local park owls that starts with "normal" photos and moves into some of the more surreal looking photos that I got while dealing with slow shutter speeds. This one would kind of bridge the normal and more abstract/weird, but I want to make sure it isn't just "bad".

Wildcat Owl in Flight2 logo on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Any way this works? I've been thinking of putting together a series of photos from my local park owls that starts with "normal" photos and moves into some of the more surreal looking photos that I got while dealing with slow shutter speeds. This one would kind of bridge the normal and more abstract/weird, but I want to make sure it isn't just "bad".

I'd like to see some part actually frozen/in focus for the transitional shot. Even if just the feet.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
To me, the eye is "good enough" for that shot to work. If I really stare at it I can tell the eye is blurred but a quick look allows me to assume the effect is entirely due to the (nicely) blurred wing feathers. As long as shots like this aren't going to be blown up huge and positioned such that the viewer can't avoid pixel-peeping (giant-rear end print on wall with no minimum viewing distance imposed by fences or whatever) you should be fine.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Went for a drive out to the country yesterday, flooded fields are filled with migratory birds right now

American Coot by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Snow Bunting by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Northern Pintail by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Great Blue Herons by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Snow Geese by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Looks good dude but reconsider the typeface you use for your watermark

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

neckbeard posted:

Went for a drive out to the country yesterday, flooded fields are filled with migratory birds right now
Snow Bunting by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

absolutely adorable - love these little guys

Here's a Chipping Sparrow from this morning - these are surprisingly hard to find in the Portland area.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks everyone for the owl photo comments! Hopefully I'll get something better. Heck if I can find a predictable owl in a good spot again maybe I'll rent a better lens.

ansel autisms posted:

Looks good dude but reconsider the typeface you use for your watermark

Yeah, you're not the first to point that out... I somehow I accidentally set the font size to larger on the lower-right-corner watermark. It's slightly less obnoxious when it's smaller. I use that font elsewhere on a few things so I figured I'd start out with consistency. I've been meaning to get a custom watermark and haven't gotten around to it yet.

I don't think I shared this trio of sparrows from a week or two ago.

Wildcat Song Sparrow logo-8737 on Flickr

Wildcat Savannah Sparrow logo-8831 on Flickr

Wildcat Lincolns Sparrow logo-8907 on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Misery Personified by B. B., on Flickr

Straddling by B. B., on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Really like that one

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

They're both really nice, but I think this is fantastic. The other one is really pretty but this one has an unusual, almost abstract, almost humorous composition.

I've just started messing around with DIY scanning some old slides. These were taken with a mf Tamron 75-300 Macro (I don't know exactly how it worked but this lens had a feature where you'd zoom out to 75mm, over-rotate the focus and it would somehow engage "macro mode" and then it would be a macro lens. Also, this was before the era when Tamron was "really good value for your money" and just "cheap")

So it's been fun but a little weird to go back to dubious scans of these photos.

Tufted Puffin first try sm on Flickr

Horned and Tufted Puffins first try on Flickr

e: a couple recent neighborhood birds

Backyard Golden-crowned2 Logo on Flickr

Guyto Lego logo on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 24, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The hummingbirds are back!!

The Hummingbirds Are Back by B. B., on Flickr

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
cant believe you didnt clone out the power lines smh

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Atlatl posted:

cant believe you didnt clone out the power lines smh

SOOC for life!!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

A few from today

Common Grackle by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

American Pelican by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Common Tern by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

neckbeard posted:

A few from today

Common Grackle by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Nice. They look so much like Disney villains to me.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
Some horned grebes:

And a saucy chickadee:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Sharp-shinned Hawk by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Sharp-shinned Hawk by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I might go Cooper's on that with the light nape. Don't ask me to put money on that though...

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

I might go Cooper's on that with the light nape. Don't ask me to put money on that though...

Yeah, got feedback elsewhere that it's a Cooper's. I'm at the edge of the Cooper's range and never photographed either before. Thought the head was small and rounded enough to be Sharp-Shinned. Couldnt get around to have a full frontal view of it

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Tree Swallows from the park today.

Tree Swallow 2 by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Tree Swallow by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Tree Swallow 3 by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Love the bird box shot!

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

-CHA posted:

Tree Swallows from the park today.

Tree Swallow 2 by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Tree Swallow by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Tree Swallow 3 by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Cool shots. Any tips for keeping flying birds in frame/focus? Whenever I've tried getting shots of swifts or swallows, they're just so fast that I have a hard time getting anything worthwhile.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

DorianGravy posted:

Cool shots. Any tips for keeping flying birds in frame/focus? Whenever I've tried getting shots of swifts or swallows, they're just so fast that I have a hard time getting anything worthwhile.

Thanks. I think most of it was just luck as swallows really have a fast and sporadic flight pattern. My tactic was to set the auto-focus to AF-C and Continuous high speed shutter, track the bird while holding down the AF-ON button and then holding down the shutter once I felt I had the bird in frame and in focus. There were a lot of missed shots, about 1 in 30 were in focus. Keeping the swallows in frame took some practice, but I found that zooming out, finding a bird to track and then zooming in while following the bird worked best.

I was out today trying to get some more shots of the swallows in flight but had zero luck getting anything remotely good, so I had to settle for just focusing on the birdbox and shooting the birds flying around it.

Swallow box by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

I've got tons of Tree Swallows back in my area now, I've given up on in-flight shots of them though

Tree Swallow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Lots of great stuff on this page. Keep up the nice work everyone!

-CHA posted:

Thanks. I think most of it was just luck as swallows really have a fast and sporadic flight pattern. My tactic was to set the auto-focus to AF-C and Continuous high speed shutter, track the bird while holding down the AF-ON button and then holding down the shutter once I felt I had the bird in frame and in focus. There were a lot of missed shots, about 1 in 30 were in focus. Keeping the swallows in frame took some practice, but I found that zooming out, finding a bird to track and then zooming in while following the bird worked best.

Thanks, I'll have to try this out. I typically keep my camera on AF-A, but it sounds like AF-C is better for birds in flight. Is that right? I often have a hard time getting the camera to not focus on the background.

I went birding on Sunday, and I finally got a good luck at a little yellow bird I've seen glimpses of before. Apparently it was a Common Yellowthroat. I think yellow birds are my favorite, so this was a joy to see. Still, the name was a bit of a surprise: if it's so common, why have I so rarely seen them?

I also took a little video:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Nature-and-Wildlife/Kachina-Wetlands-and-balcony-May-17-2020/i-nrR3GcZ/0/7cb8ad1c/1280/DSC_5829-1280.mp4

I think I'd enjoy putting together a little coffee table book for myself, organized by bird color. I may need to find more colorful birds first, but it would be fun to pull together bird with prominent colors.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 19, 2020

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

DorianGravy posted:

This popped up on my Youtube feed. I haven't watched it yet so I can't comment on it's quality/usefulness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69jcmNbqGrU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I need to work on my bif too. I shoot my 7d2 like I’m still shooting with my 6d.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

DorianGravy posted:

Thanks, I'll have to try this out. I typically keep my camera on AF-A, but it sounds like AF-C is better for birds in flight. Is that right? I often have a hard time getting the camera to not focus on the background.

There is an advantage to using AF-C over AF-A. From what I understand, AF-A lets the camera decide whether the subject is stationary or moving. Since we already know the subject is moving, setting the camera to AF-C eliminates the possibility of the camera selecting the wrong auto-focus mode.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

This popped up on my Youtube feed. I haven't watched it yet so I can't comment on it's quality/usefulness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69jcmNbqGrU

-CHA posted:

There is an advantage to using AF-C over AF-A. From what I understand, AF-A lets the camera decide whether the subject is stationary or moving. Since we already know the subject is moving, setting the camera to AF-C eliminates the possibility of the camera selecting the wrong auto-focus mode.

Thanks! I might get back out next weekend, and I'll give flying birds another try.

Unrelated: I keep a bird feeder on my balcony, and the House Finches which stop by have been extremely chirpy recently. I think some are juveniles, and they sit right next to the adult, fluttering wings and chirping loudly. I feel annoyed on the parents behalf. Also, one time a juvenile House Finch got startled by a Dark-eyed Junco at the feeder and flew into my apartment. After flying repeatedly into the ceiling, it roosted on the ceiling fan until I encouraged it out.

Anyway, here are some House Finches.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Barred owl fledgling took an adventure out of the nest.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Oh no, I'm worried on its behalf! Did it fall out of the tree, or just awkwardly cling to branches?

(Awesome photos, by the way.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

DorianGravy posted:

Oh no, I'm worried on its behalf! Did it fall out of the tree, or just awkwardly cling to branches?

(Awesome photos, by the way.)

When I first go there it was hopping around on a tree where its nest was but it took a tumble and landed in an adjacent tree which is what you see. It eventually made it to a much larger branch but by the time I had left it was still not back in its nest. The parent was watching the whole time so I am hoping it made it back fine. I have not been back since to check in on it.