Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Planning to try something this weekend and wanted to run the plan past this thread. I want to make chicken ballentine. The steps I was planning are:
1. De bone the carcass.
2. Stuff/wrap a spinach and mushroom stuffing.
3. Dry brine
4 Vacuum seal and cook, possibly 150 for 3 hours.
5. Ice bath
6. Finish in air fryer to crisp skin.

The thing I'm not super confident on is whether or not I can get crisp skin afterwards. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

lifts cats over head posted:

Planning to try something this weekend and wanted to run the plan past this thread. I want to make chicken ballentine. The steps I was planning are:
1. De bone the carcass.
2. Stuff/wrap a spinach and mushroom stuffing.
3. Dry brine
4 Vacuum seal and cook, possibly 150 for 3 hours.
5. Ice bath
6. Finish in air fryer to crisp skin.

The thing I'm not super confident on is whether or not I can get crisp skin afterwards. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Actual frying not air frying. You need the thermal density of the oil but you will get crispy skin.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Why not dry brine before the filling?
1. No reason to dry brine filling
2. Salting both sides will lead to much faster penetration
3. When it starts to exude water at first, I don't trust mushrooms not to soak it all up before it can be reabsorbed. Mushrooms are fast little sponges.

Also, if you actual fry, maybe start in the fryer and then move to the oven, the way you do for fried chicken? It's a lot less greasy imo

Actually, deboned and stuffed, it's thick/solid enough that reverse searing completely in the oven might be another good option

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 10, 2020

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Anne Whateley posted:

Why not dry brine before the filling?
1. No reason to dry brine filling
2. Salting both sides will lead to much faster penetration
3. When it starts to exude water at first, I don't trust mushrooms not to soak it all up before it can be reabsorbed. Mushrooms are fast little sponges.

Also, if you actual fry, maybe start in the fryer and then move to the oven, the way you do for fried chicken? It's a lot less greasy imo

Actually, deboned and stuffed, it's thick/solid enough that reverse searing completely in the oven might be another good option

Yeah I wasn't sure about the best sure to brine either. Thanks for the feedback.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

You could also just finish in a ripping hot oven if you're not hot on the air fryer.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Costco currently has holiday season pork rib roasts. I should have grabbed more than the single pack, but mortons tri tip was $4 off each package and I loaded up on them. Wife would have shot me had I loaded up on both.

But drat it is nice to be able to cut the roasts down into 2-rib thick chops for puddling. really wish they were available (outside butcher shops) all year long.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Made some sous vide ribs yesterday, 30 hours at 150, then quickly finished them in the oven to get a crust

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
PreVide

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I just got a bunch of meat (steaks, pork shoulder, ribs, chops, etc.) delivered and I plan on vacuum sealing a bunch of it to freeze for later. I plan on cooking a good bit of it by sous vide and I am wondering if there is any drawback to seasoning the meat and then vacuum sealing and freezing it, and then dropping it in the water bath at the appropriate time. I mainly want to know if its ok to have the seasoning on the meat for a couple weeks while frozen. In the past I have thawed the meat, then seasoned it and vac sealed again for the water bath. I just want to know if I can skip that and season before freezing, trying to cut down on the amount of plastic used.

edit: for anyone who has used vacuum sealers, is it ok to reuse bags, or does repeated use in the water degrade it? I am asking only on a temporary basis until the plague is over.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

swickles posted:

I just got a bunch of meat (steaks, pork shoulder, ribs, chops, etc.) delivered and I plan on vacuum sealing a bunch of it to freeze for later. I plan on cooking a good bit of it by sous vide and I am wondering if there is any drawback to seasoning the meat and then vacuum sealing and freezing it, and then dropping it in the water bath at the appropriate time. I mainly want to know if its ok to have the seasoning on the meat for a couple weeks while frozen. In the past I have thawed the meat, then seasoned it and vac sealed again for the water bath. I just want to know if I can skip that and season before freezing, trying to cut down on the amount of plastic used.

edit: for anyone who has used vacuum sealers, is it ok to reuse bags, or does repeated use in the water degrade it? I am asking only on a temporary basis until the plague is over.

Barring some sort of intense enzymatic activity (like if you dumped a bunch of meat tenderizer on it or froze it in a block of pineapple juice) your meat is essentially in stasis once it's vacuum sealed and frozen. I've noticed no difference between seasoned meat that was six days old or six months old.
If you're going to season before freezing, make sure you write down what you seasoned it with or at least that it's seasoned, so you don't inadvertently double season.

Bags will eventually start to break down, but how quickly that happens is a function of temperature and time. I don't have any good guidelines, but I'd be much less bothered by reusing a bag I cooked a steak in for two hours than one I cooked ribs in for two days, for example.
From what I've seen bags tend to retain their shape after they've been through the cooking process, so there may be some issues getting it to seal nicely.

It doesn't help with the vacuum sealing process, but you can safely sous vide (I think up to like 190F or something) in Ziplock brand freezer bags. SC Johnson actually put out an announcement about it at one point because of how many people have asked.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

poeticoddity posted:

Barring some sort of intense enzymatic activity (like if you dumped a bunch of meat tenderizer on it or froze it in a block of pineapple juice) your meat is essentially in stasis once it's vacuum sealed and frozen. I've noticed no difference between seasoned meat that was six days old or six months old.
If you're going to season before freezing, make sure you write down what you seasoned it with or at least that it's seasoned, so you don't inadvertently double season.

Bags will eventually start to break down, but how quickly that happens is a function of temperature and time. I don't have any good guidelines, but I'd be much less bothered by reusing a bag I cooked a steak in for two hours than one I cooked ribs in for two days, for example.
From what I've seen bags tend to retain their shape after they've been through the cooking process, so there may be some issues getting it to seal nicely.

It doesn't help with the vacuum sealing process, but you can safely sous vide (I think up to like 190F or something) in Ziplock brand freezer bags. SC Johnson actually put out an announcement about it at one point because of how many people have asked.

Awesome, thanks. If I am not freezing something, or if I am just doing a single steak or chop or whatever, I will use a Ziploc. However, the times being as they are I am trying to minimize deliveries and stretch my supplies of everything as long as possible.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

swickles posted:

Awesome, thanks. If I am not freezing something, or if I am just doing a single steak or chop or whatever, I will use a Ziploc. However, the times being as they are I am trying to minimize deliveries and stretch my supplies of everything as long as possible.

I have a roll of the long single bag where you just cut off however much you need, and I have reused portions of that several times.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

NPR Journalizard posted:

I have a roll of the long single bag where you just cut off however much you need, and I have reused portions of that several times.

Cool, yeah I use the roll too for freezing, or if its out to just do meal that way. I normally toss it after a single use and was wondering if I could reuse it. I am also terrible at estimating how much I need, so its always like 2-3 inches longer than it needs to me so reusing it would make me feel better.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Hmm just speculating here but if you add salt and that draws out water, won't it from ice crystals on your meat? I am not sure a household freezer freezes quick enough to prevent that from happening.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you're being that cautious, you could season it, seal it, fridge for an hour (to exude and then reabsorb), then freeze it. But if you're that cautious, you probably wouldn't want to do at it all in case the pepper burned. I'd go for it, though.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Hopper posted:

Hmm just speculating here but if you add salt and that draws out water, won't it from ice crystals on your meat? I am not sure a household freezer freezes quick enough to prevent that from happening.

Meat that's been vacuum sealed and popped in a freezer is going to freeze from the outside in, so any additional formation of ice crystals should be pretty minimal.
If you're trying to get the effect of a dry-brine or a marinade, it's going to effectively be halted once it's frozen solid, so you may actually want to leave it in the fridge for a period before freezing it, depending on what you're doing.
Presumably, the process will restart once it thaws, but if you're popping something into a water bath straight out of the freezer you're going to have a small window between when something thaws and when it cooks.
I also wouldn't be overly worried about the formation of ice crystals in something that's been vacuum sealed and has any residual, drawn-out moisture in it. That's most of the reason you'd vacuum seal something you're freezing in the first place.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
There’s probably some diffusion of salt into the meat even while frozen but it’s gotta be an undetectable amount, and if it were, I have a hard time seeing how that would be bad, anyway.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I am now in the habit with beef of seasoning and then allowing it to dry a day or two in the fridge before seal/freeze.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Hasselblad posted:

I am now in the habit with beef of seasoning and then allowing it to dry a day or two in the fridge before seal/freeze.

Like in a container? Or just on a hook in the center of the fridge to pick up all those fridge scents?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

CaptainCrunch posted:

Like in a container? Or just on a hook in the center of the fridge to pick up all those fridge scents?

Like on a wire rack in the fridge. What are you putting in your fridge that it is imparting “fridge scents” to your food?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I guess this is similar to the discussion above about freezing. My plan is to freeze a lot of chicken thighs in vacuum bags, and then cook them straight from frozen by dropping them in the water bath. If I want to make things like butter chicken out of them, should I:

- freeze and cook with the sauce
- only season and cook without the sauce
- neither because I should cook with sauce but not freeze it

xtal fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 4, 2020

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Why not just make the butter chicken and then freeze it in portions?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

AnonSpore posted:

Why not just make the butter chicken and then freeze it in portions?

I imagined that would taste less fresh but they might be exactly the same, especially with that recipe...

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Seems like a great opportunity to do some testing and report back to us.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Lawnie posted:

Seems like a great opportunity to do some testing and report back to us.
I freeze stews and curries all the time and there's very little change/loss in quality. Like if you're having some of a batch when you first make it and then freeze the remainder and reheat it later and you're being hypervigilant about it you'll notice a difference. But I normally expect a difference in stews and curries between fresh and leftovers just kept in the fridge. Or between two batches made on different days with different ingredients.

The main caveat is if you're making a curry (or whatever) with a lot of lowfat dairy, which tends to want to break when reheated. The effect is mitigated the more other poo poo you've got in your sauce/gravy/whatever. So I'd worry less about something's that basically veg purée with some dairy versus a bunch of dairy with a little seasoning. And higher fat dairy is more durable. So if you're using a heavy/double/whipping cream then it's less of a problem. Coconut cream/milk will depend on the recipe. And in all cases freezing fast and reheating slow will help prevent breaking. And if the sauce separated it's still safe to eat, and you might be able to get it back together with hand whisking or hitting the sauce with an immersion blender or whatever.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Recently got a Anova Nano and wanted to start with something easy, decided to do eggs for 12min @ 167.

Question though, am I supposed to wait until the water gets to temperature first, or drop the food in and let the Anova get to the desired temperature?

Also, I don't see an off button, just unplugging the thing is of the off button I assume?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

For eggs or other really short times things (fish), you want to let it get to temp and then put it in. For steaks and such I put them in the water as it heats and then just start the timer when I hear that the water is at temp, because 10 mins at partial temp won’t throw anything off.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Most devices (including that one IIRC) start their timer right when it reaches temperature. If you wanted to time it accurately and drop it in at temperature, you would need to sit there while it preheats, drop it in, wait for it to come back to temp, and then start the timer.

With eggs it might also depend on if they come from the fridge or room temp.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

xtal posted:

Most devices (including that one IIRC) start their timer right when it reaches temperature. If you wanted to time it accurately and drop it in at temperature, you would need to sit there while it preheats, drop it in, wait for it to come back to temp, and then start the timer.

With eggs it might also depend on if they come from the fridge or room temp.

Joule gives the option of putting food in as water heats, with timer starting when at temp automatically, manually starting the timer when you put food in, or just straight up heating the water and dumping the food in whenever you want sans timer.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

My GF gave me an anova sous vide for my birthday over the weekend. Made a NY strip to test it out tonight, it came out really well. Could've seared a bit better, but really liked it. She wants to try making our own starbucks sous vide egg bites. Anyone have a recipe for that or something similar? Googling people don't seem to really be sous viding them. Most things I'm googling have instant pot instead.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

xtal posted:

I imagined that would taste less fresh but they might be exactly the same, especially with that recipe...

Have you forgotten that curry tastes better reheated?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Fritzler posted:

My GF gave me an anova sous vide for my birthday over the weekend. Made a NY strip to test it out tonight, it came out really well. Could've seared a bit better, but really liked it. She wants to try making our own starbucks sous vide egg bites. Anyone have a recipe for that or something similar? Googling people don't seem to really be sous viding them. Most things I'm googling have instant pot instead.

I've made several batches of these in the last couple of months. I use 4 oz jars and my "recipe" for eight is something like:

8 large eggs
a few spoonfuls of cottage cheese
several dashes of hot sauce

Butter or spray the jars to help the egg bites release after heating. Whisk/blend the wet ingredients and add to the jars. Add your fillings, like:

crumbled bacon
minced jalapeno
different cheeses
ground chorizo (love this)
finely diced ham (really love this - great texture)

Put the lids on and heat at 170 for an hour. Mind your water level; the jars displace a lot of space.

To reheat I take the lids off and heat in the microwave for 60 seconds at 50% power in the jar. Then I take a butter knife around the edge to free the egg bite. Turn it out onto a plate, cut in half and separate, heat for another 60 seconds at 50% power on the plate. Serve with more hot sauce (I like Secret Aardvark Habanero) and a side of toast with a bunch of butter.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Fritzler posted:

What were you googling? I don’t have a recipe off hand, but for a minute those were like THE sous vide fad.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah, for some reason egg bites were the fast food item everyone was trying to reproduce at home for awhile. And not to discourage anyone from doing exactly that, but it's probably worth knowing that egg bites are more or less just oeufs en cocotte cooked until they're hard. Just throwing that out there because having an additional search term can be handy if you're looking for ideas.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Fritzler posted:

Googling people don't seem to really be sous viding them. Most things I'm googling have instant pot instead.

Because insta pots and air fryers are all the rage now.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Fritzler posted:

You can definitely sous vide them but remember they're more cottage cheese than egg.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

sterster posted:

Because insta pots and air fryers are all the rage now.

Yeah, I have way too many kitchen gadgets at this point. Though I justify it to myself by viewing them as tools - they all excel at different things, so I use a lot of them in tandem.

I think the only thing I'm missing at this point is a smoker . . . .

Edit for sous vide content: anyone have a favorite brisket recipe? (specifically, the flat). We did 50 hours at 135, and it was tender as hell . . . almost too tender. She seared it in the cast iron, and it was okay, but I think I'd have had better luck just spooling up the fire pit and searing it over a really hot wood fire.

She considered the brisket a failure (largely because of the texture, I think?), but with a bit of salt and a touch of BBQ sauce, it was more moist and flavorful than anything I've had at even the expensive BBQ joints in town. I thought it was great, even though I acknowledge that it could probably still be improved.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 14, 2020

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Zarin posted:

Edit for sous vide content: anyone have a favorite brisket recipe? (specifically, the flat).

I've pretty much followed Keji's advice on this. Salt & Pepper only. Then I think it's 24-36hrs depending on cook temp. Then finish in over/smoker/indirect heat. Unfortunately, I've had everything from amazing to 'meh, this is fine' finish to it following the same exact steps. Take a look at the image with the matrix for time & temp
Complete guide. - https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-barbecue-smoked-bbq-brisket.html

I suspect that if after the SV cook I allowed the brisket to rest in the bag in it's juices it would let it relax and soak back up some of those juices that cause the 'meh' results

sterster fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 14, 2020

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

xtal posted:

You can definitely sous vide them but remember they're more cottage cheese than egg.

The more I thought about doing them, and being close to purchasing jars just for that use, I ended up remembering that I have a perfectly working high end egg poacher gathering dust that would do just as well if not better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Thanks for the recipes everyone! Yeah Instant pot recipes were coming up when I searched sous vide eggs recipe, but once I put anova in the search got a lot more actual sous vide recipes. I know I came late to the game, but enjoying it so far.