Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrodyn
Apr 10, 2007

Twials of Mana: ??? title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Hey, the LP is on to its vote for the first class change!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JHIoireG8I

https://www.strawpoll.me/19956095/r

Vote on whatever you like and you'll get to see it played. I'm still basically blind to anything in the remake so I have no idea what's in store for me with these guys.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
2nd playthrough over

I thought Salamando or Undine would come into play somewhere in Duran/Angela's story, just like Dryad and Luna did so in Kevin'/Charlotte's story. Guess they just don't get to do anything at all, uh?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Alxprit posted:

Trials of Mana: It's just a young, cute game that really likes its new name

This one is good. :3:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Trials of Mana: E!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Sapozhnik posted:

Trials of Mana: E!

I like this one!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The hell am I supposed to do against Xan Bie? This thing is just destroying my team.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
When exactly can I get my first respec item? On Hawkeye’s story if that matters.

Having a healer just doesn’t matter that much so I’m feeling a a Duran respec.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

god drat i wish there was not a 6 fight gauntlet before crimson wizard or at least an autosave after them

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Captain Oblivious posted:

When exactly can I get my first respec item? On Hawkeye’s story if that matters.

Dark Castle. You have to backtrack to the throne room that drops you down to Fullmetal Hugger.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

sigher posted:

The hell am I supposed to do against Xan Bie? This thing is just destroying my team.

Xan Bie takes forever to do his big attack, so you pretty much break the altars to get his fireballs down to manageable levels, then wail on him a bunch (preferably with ice saber/magic.) When he goes tornado dodge heat lasers, continue the beating.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

There is exactly one in the penultimate dungeon, and then a bunch in the post-credits dungeon.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I built Duran to be tankier but it just ended up where the other two died to aoe damage and he’d Rez them. Then I built him to be a healer but he’d still Rez the other two. Then I built everyone to be 100% damage all the time, and everyone stopped dying because there was nothing left to stop them.

The best defense is an absurd offense, and bringing a healer is to get a buffer for if you run out of healing items. They’re cheap as hell! If you build your dudes right they’ll probably kill the boss before you run out of cups of wishes to spam.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Duran/Hawkeye/Angela gave me the one class with Provoke and two with Enigma so I just controlled Duran and kited everything while my allies spammed spells.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Started my Hawkeye/Riesz path gameplay and...oh wow...the Jessica VA...what the hell was she doing???

Back to Japanese audio it is for this gameplay (plus I remember Riesz)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I like Jessica's VA. She actually sounds like a real person.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Unlike Mercie, who sounds like a guy or girl pretending to be a girl who has a french accent.

Also Ghost Riesz is just as excellent as ghost everyone else is.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

EponymousMrYar posted:

Xan Bie takes forever to do his big attack, so you pretty much break the altars to get his fireballs down to manageable levels, then wail on him a bunch (preferably with ice saber/magic.) When he goes tornado dodge heat lasers, continue the beating.

What am I supposed to do if I can't take the Altars out in time? My AI buddies don't seem to give a gently caress about destroying them and only plink away at their HP while Xan Bie face fucks the one we're focusing. I've never been able to take all three out before his huge attack. Maybe I'm underleveled.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

On NG+ just having the full cactus bonus XP chance (ie not using Faerie) had me at 38 after Lugard and I used seeds on-hand to promote. The first two Benevodons just exploded.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

sigher posted:

What am I supposed to do if I can't take the Altars out in time? My AI buddies don't seem to give a gently caress about destroying them and only plink away at their HP while Xan Bie face fucks the one we're focusing. I've never been able to take all three out before his huge attack. Maybe I'm underleveled.

Power attack combos/Class strike lv1 on them. Change chars (presumably your AI is on another altar). Power Attack combos/Class strike lv1. repeat until all dead

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
They should've had Lumina/Matelo's VA do every character

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

gandlethorpe posted:

They should've had Lumina/Matelo's VA do every character

Heyoooooo

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

sigher posted:

As mentioned you want to hit them a lot with physical attacks. Most boss big attack weakpoints don't give that much of a hoot against magic or projectile damage.

Leveling shouldn't be an issue unless you're below the levels of the mobs you fought in the Fiery Gorge. The Benevodons scale a bit IIRC so overleveling doesn't do much other than get you training points which might get you stats/skills that you need to do more damage to the weakpoints.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I really enjoyed the dwarfs and Gnome having prospector voices, it made me laugh.
But I was a bit disappointed that Watts was a recoloured dwarf instead of looking like he does in the original.

It's interesting to me that in this one I feel like magic is amazing against regular enemies and a bit poo against bosses - unless they have a specific weakness - whereas in the original it's definitely 100% the other way around.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

jokes posted:

I built Duran to be tankier but it just ended up where the other two died to aoe damage and he’d Rez them. Then I built him to be a healer but he’d still Rez the other two. Then I built everyone to be 100% damage all the time, and everyone stopped dying because there was nothing left to stop them.

The best defense is an absurd offense, and bringing a healer is to get a buffer for if you run out of healing items. They’re cheap as hell! If you build your dudes right they’ll probably kill the boss before you run out of cups of wishes to spam.

I’m on my second play through, just reached the sanctuary (no NG+) with a much more offense focused team (Monk, Gladiator, Valkyrie, good, but not an optimal mid-game melee team) and I feel way stronger. I never bother with Monk’s Heal Light and I never even come close to running out of healing items. I only heal with items, but I have more money because I never need to buy walnuts. Charlotte’s lack of offense and support (I had her in her dark class) meant I actually took more damage than I would without a healer. The gap between offensive and defensive classes is way too big.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Well, Platinum in the bag at 39 hours. My first playthrough was about 26 hours (Hard, did everything). Playthrough 2 took about 10 more hours since I played the other three characters from level 1, but the 300% exp ability still breaks the curve completely. My final run was about 3.5 hours. Riesz, Angela and Duran just hosed. it. up.

Some thoughts about the game:

Everything in the game takes too long. Animations, load times (PS4Pro), conversations, etc all have just a little lag to them so when you're trying to do things quickly it gets obnoxious. I guess that's on brand for the game given its original menus on SNES but still.

The game is tons of fun to play when it's balanced against a first playthrough, especially on Hard. Once you get the NG+ stuff it's just kind of a chore to get the trophies since everything just melts.

Angela is a total face-wrecker. She can do absolutely sick things with Lucent Beam +. Kevin is a total trash killer (Duran too as Paladin). By a third playthrough buffs and debuffs are absolutely useless (as is healing) so you might as well just make the strongest party you can.

Overall I'm tickled that this is the remake we got. It's super faithful in all the right ways and improved in all the other ways that matter. They could definitely go further with it, but what we got was just fantastic. I can't recommend it enough, really.

edit: What's the deal with Duran's shields? I think I found one in a shop, and one from a seed (for Liege) but nothing for Paladin or in any shops later on? How many exist in the game?

Levantine fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 6, 2020

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

For Knight/Liege I ended up getting maybe ten shields. At least six can be bought in stores (four that reduce elemental damage, two or three that are regular) and I got three(?) from seeds I think. I think I got two and one of them was in a chest. There was a decent shield that blocked several negative statuses, the Liege one that had high stats and the Class 4 one that had insanely high stats and also prevented a bunch of statuses.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

For Knight/Liege I ended up getting maybe ten shields. At least six can be bought in stores (four that reduce elemental damage, two or three that are regular) and I got three(?) from seeds I think. I think I got two and one of them was in a chest. There was a decent shield that blocked several negative statuses, the Liege one that had high stats and the Class 4 one that had insanely high stats and also prevented a bunch of statuses.

What stores sell them? I never saw more than the Gold Shield (I think) in stores.

I guess the seeds just didn't want me Duran-ing as hard as I was.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Taear posted:

I really enjoyed the dwarfs and Gnome having prospector voices, it made me laugh.
But I was a bit disappointed that Watts was a recoloured dwarf instead of looking like he does in the original.

It's interesting to me that in this one I feel like magic is amazing against regular enemies and a bit poo against bosses - unless they have a specific weakness - whereas in the original it's definitely 100% the other way around.

Wide area magic absolutely shreds bosses with multiple hit boxes, because each of them take damage separately. It's why Lucent Beam+ spam is so good.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Levantine posted:

What stores sell them? I never saw more than the Gold Shield (I think) in stores.

I guess the seeds just didn't want me Duran-ing as hard as I was.

Valsena sells two common shields and four elemental shields. I actually made a point to go all the way back to Valsena after class-changing at the Wind Crystal but before beating the boss to get Sylph, since if you wait until after you'll have to go through the Ghost Ship and Bucca Island before you can get back there.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

EponymousMrYar posted:

As mentioned you want to hit them a lot with physical attacks. Most boss big attack weakpoints don't give that much of a hoot against magic or projectile damage.

Leveling shouldn't be an issue unless you're below the levels of the mobs you fought in the Fiery Gorge. The Benevodons scale a bit IIRC so overleveling doesn't do much other than get you training points which might get you stats/skills that you need to do more damage to the weakpoints.

I'll give it another go, I'm not underleveled for the other mobs in the area, but the AI companions just don't use their physical attacks fast enough, maybe I'll set them to attack different targets than me or something.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

IMJack posted:

Valsena sells two common shields and four elemental shields. I actually made a point to go all the way back to Valsena after class-changing at the Wind Crystal but before beating the boss to get Sylph, since if you wait until after you'll have to go through the Ghost Ship and Bucca Island before you can get back there.

Ah I bet I never checked there. After a first playthrough, especially when gear is pretty much obsolete if you're using 300% exp and seeds.

If I ever do a fourth playthrough I will! My biggest complaint, is twofold: You can't use Class 4 in NG+ and you don't retain costumes from those classes either (or from resetting class). Seems very wasteful.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Dackel posted:

Power attack combos/Class strike lv1 on them. Change chars (presumably your AI is on another altar). Power Attack combos/Class strike lv1. repeat until all dead

Yeah can confirm this is probably the correct and intended way of doing it. I went through a whole playthrough with Kevin as my main without doing it, then on my 2nd playthrough Crimson Wizard summons 6 and 8 of them for the latter part of his fight, all really spread out, and even with doing combos instead of CS1 I was barely getting in time to half of them. Then I realised I was wasting too much time running towards them when I can just switch character :downs:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fister Roboto posted:

Wide area magic absolutely shreds bosses with multiple hit boxes, because each of them take damage separately. It's why Lucent Beam+ spam is so good.

Ninja Master Hawkeye also shreds like this. The Diversion+ spells seem to cast at each hitbox of the boss - I've got screenshots of them flying at every part of Anise, Zable Fahr, etc.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I find the best way to get party members to actually contribute in moments where you need everyone punching stuff is to unshackle the AI's need to care about MP. I dunno what it is, but if the AI is asked to conserve even 25% of MP it will cast two spells in a fight in their own, maybe. But set that sucker to zero and suddenly Dark Charlotte starts raising enough undead to start a horror franchise while Hawkeye isn't satisfied until EVERYONE is on fire. Stock Walnuts, but late game that's a small price to pay to get your AI to actually contribute.

Ironically this actually makes Duran and Kevin probably the actual worst teammates in the game when not in your control instead of the best like the original, since as far as I know there's no way to get the AI to actually go hit things with their sticks any more often then the leisurely poke all AI occasionally swing at things.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Kyrosiris posted:

Ninja Master Hawkeye also shreds like this. The Diversion+ spells seem to cast at each hitbox of the boss - I've got screenshots of them flying at every part of Anise, Zable Fahr, etc.

Yeah. Angela and Ninja Master!Hawkeye break bosses with multiple hitboxes over the knee.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Folt The Bolt posted:

Yeah. Angela and Ninja Master!Hawkeye break bosses with multiple hitboxes over the knee.

I'm stoked because my next play through is Hawkeye/Kevin/Angela to get the other 3 achievements for finishing the game with X character, so poo poo is just going to melt.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

sigher posted:

I'm stoked because my next play through is Hawkeye/Kevin/Angela to get the other 3 achievements for finishing the game with X character, so poo poo is just going to melt.

Are you gonna do NG+? Because if so oh boy. :allears:

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Honestly, while doing NG+ once is fun, I'll advise anyone who really wants to have fun with the game to heavily limit what they use on NG+. the +300% exp or some of the more broken chain abilities should be put aside unless you just want to get all the achievements for reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is Valkyrie or Rune Maiden better for Reisz? I remember seeing some talk of this earlier in the thread but don't remember how far back.