Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

page snipin in the name of changed subjects :f5h::blastu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Store.Playstation.Com update: Works fine on Desktop Safari now, still doesn't work on iPhone.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

So...um...this Prey game is pretty amazing...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Like where has it been all my life?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
On PC

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Store.Playstation.Com update: Works fine on Desktop Safari now, still doesn't work on iPhone.

I still see the old version.

The first versions of SPC where almost unusable, but the current iteration works pretty well, if you don't try to do anything fancy or move fast between sections.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

So...um...this Prey game is pretty amazing...

Yea, is somewhat like a Portal 2 open world, it feel more like a place than a corridor.

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 6, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Prey 2017 is legit one of the best FPS/vent crawler/ 🤮"immersive sim"🤮 games I've ever played. The story, design, music (Mick :qq:), EVERYTHING is good.

It's just...

It runs like rear end on PS4. I would kill, KILL for a Pro patch or PS5 patch.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I only play tiny little low res games on my pc like Into The Breach or FTL, and that C&C remaster soon.

I insist that my AAA titles run as choppy as possible. I have tasted the maggots in the mind of Micolash. I was not offended. For I knew that I had to rise above it all...or drown in my own poo poo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tei posted:

Yea, is somewhat like a Portal 2 open world, it feel more like a place than a corridor.

It's all just so weird. It's like the quintessential :thunk:ing man's FPS. The devs put so much work into this thing.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I have been stanning this all of 2019 :) GOTY easy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The music cue at the start when you take that first helicopter ride is MIND BLOWING.

Prey 2017 is like Bioshock but better in every single way. Their shotguns look remarkably similar.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The music cue at the start when you take that first helicopter ride is MIND BLOWING.

Prey 2017 is like Bioshock but better in every single way. Their shotguns look remarkably similar.

Was just thinking the other night how much I like it compared to Bioshock (which I'm not fond of).

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Prey 2017 is like Bioshock but better in every single way.

Was just thinking the other night how much I like it compared to Bioshock (which I'm not fond of).

That's because Prey isn't Bioshock, Prey is System Shock, and System Shock loving owns

(both 1 and 2 are available digitally for PC and will run on anything, 1 is rough but 2 mostly holds up imo)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Veib posted:

but 2 mostly holds up imo)

...Nah

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YLMk1E41kE

(I love System Shock 2)

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

this page is run by the prey (2017) gang

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Veib posted:

That's because Prey isn't Bioshock, Prey is System Shock, and System Shock loving owns

(both 1 and 2 are available digitally for PC and will run on anything, 1 is rough but 2 mostly holds up imo)

Well, I mean I get that, and I don't want to be spoiled even though I know what that implies to a degree. But honestly, even on a purely aesthetic level Prey is firing on all cylinders, and it's incredibly mechanically dense. I don't feel like a big shootman, I feel like Guy With Wrench, in the best way possible. I feel a lot of the immersion with the world that I felt playing Alien: Isolation, where poo poo is tactile and I am meant to interface with it. I absolutely adore how diagetic the overall mechanical interface is.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 10:41 on May 6, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I love how Arkane got to make it tbh, it feels like such a classic 90s kind of game.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Also this reminded me about the time I tried to replay System Shock 1, here is my trip report from two years ago:

Veib posted:

Speaking of System Shock, the last time I tried replayed it I figured I didn't want to deal with the combat and set it to 0 where the enemies don't even fight back. The game then turned into this really uncomfortable I am Legend style murder simulator where all these robots and aliens are happily living their pacifist lives on a space station until an insane killer shows up with his metal pipe. It was loving weird and I had to stop playing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Took you long enough (the game sold pretty poorly, but culturally it's going to have legs)

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
Finally cracked it. Outer Wilds is done.

Yeah the logistics of that last Ash twin tower puzzle is not great. I stood on the pad originally and just got picked up by the sand, I figured that was the wrong way and spent hours working on ANYTHING else that might work. If I hadn't KNOWN that the solution was in that tower I don't think I would have worked it out.

I like the ending though, very 2001 but also, nice?

One thing that I wasn't sure about was why the Naomi NEEDED to use the time loop before launching the probe? Was the idea that the probe wasn't tracking the eye but was actually being launched in random directions until it found the eye? They couldn't launch more than one probe because they needed to blow up the cannon to do it, so they needed to loop the time so they could just keep launching it, sending the probe info back in time and then trying another until the found it?

Anyway, great game. Great time, thank you to everyone here that brought it to my attention.

Veib posted:

I sure hope 'mostly holds up imo' means 'still one of the greatest games of all time'

I liked Prey but I was a little disappointed because I love System Shock 2 and it just isn't QUITE as good in its story imo. Also towards the end feels like that end game wasn't amazingly thought out because it has you going back and forth through the station and because of the constant loading screen hell I think it soured the whole thing a little.

Also there's an audio log, not that far into the game (before even the middle I think) where some of the most sciencey characters in the game are all discussing something and it COMPLETELY gives the game away. If they had taken that out or put it just before the big reveal it would have had more impact but because of it I had it more or less worked out long before the ending

I've always considered getting the moon DLC but never committed, is it any good?

The Neal! fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 6, 2020

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The Neal! posted:

Finally cracked it. Outer Wilds is done.

Yeah the logistics of that last Ash twin tower puzzle is not great. I stood on the pad originally and just got picked up by the sand, I figured that was the wrong way and spent hours working on ANYTHING else that might work. If I hadn't KNOWN that was the way to do it I don't think I would have worked it out.

I like the ending though, very 2001 but also, nice?

One thing that I wasn't sure about was why the Naomi NEEDED to use the time loop before launching the probe? Was the idea that the probe wasn't tracking the eye but was actually being launched in random directions until it found the eye? They couldn't launch more than one probe because they needed to blow up the cannon to do it, so they needed to loop the time so they could just keep launching it, sending the probe info back in time and then trying another until the found it?

The Ash Twin is a failsafe cause the Nomai were unable to track the Eye with the locators. So they used the Ash Twin Project as a failsafe for when they use the sun station to make a supernova to launch the orbital probe. Sunstation failed and so the research in the High Energy Lab came to pass. Only they died because of the Interloper and the sun ends up supernova anyhow shortly after the Hearthians achieve spaceflight.

They send the probe data back, yes. One of the Nomai Statues is explicitly for this reason.

I might have fudged some details or causality of Events

I legit had happy tears at the end and meeting Solanum

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 6, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Neal! posted:

I've always considered getting the moon DLC but never committed, is it any good?

Yes. It's brilliant. I was skeptical about adding roguelike elements to an immersive sim, but it actually complements the genre wonderfully. More urgency, more experimentation, and a chance to try out different play styles without requiring campaign length playthroughs. Of course, there are downsides (much less emphasis on story and storytelling), but it stands as its own thing.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

The Ash Twin is a failsafe cause the Nomai were unable to track the Eye with the locators. So they used the Ash Twin Project as a failsafe for when they use the sun station to make a supernova to launch the orbital probe. Sunstation failed and so the research in the High Energy Lab came to pass. Only they died because of the Interloper and the sun ends up supernova anyhow shortly after the Hearthians achieve spaceflight.

They send the probe data back, yes. One of the Nomai Statues is explicitly for this reason.

I might have fudged some details or causality of Events

I legit had happy tears at the end and meeting Solanum

I don't know if that's right. I thought the supernova was needed to send memories back 22 minutes, as far as I could tell the probe firing needed a bunch of power but nothing the Nomai didn't already have access to. The whole shebang was set up so that when the sun went supernova, it would trigger the time loop to send all memories back (including the memory of the probe with the instruction to fire). The Nomai couldn't make the sun explode in the end but they also all died before they turned the whole setup off. So, 20,000 years later the sun blows up on it's own. Time loop activates and then 22 minutes in the past the cannon receives its first command to fire. Probe gets sent out to find the eye sending data back in time every loop until it finds it.

I thought I noticed the Probe going off in different directions each loop but I could be wrong about that but it would make sense if the Nomai were trying to set up infinite loops so they could literally search the entire range of the probe in every direction in the same 22 minutes.

If I'm wrong about the probe cannon needing to be powered by the supernova the whole thing makes sense as to why the elaborate time loop thing needed to happen but it seems weird that launching a probe would need THAT much power

The Neal! fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 6, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Making a mobile version of your IP is like going out for mcdonalds when you want a cheeseburger instead of going to an actual restaurant. It's cheap and doesn't break the bank and you get to trick your brain somewhat into "Hey guys, remember burgers?" and you end up paying for the convenience of having it rather than having a good cheeseburger.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Prey is so amazing GLOO gun 4 lyfe

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Jumping back into Yakuza Kiwami 2 and I wish this had FF7R's combat system...

worst post i've seen in this thread tbh.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

veni veni veni posted:

Sadly the PSVR does not support the navigation controller at all even though the PS4 itself does.

huh. how do you move in those movable games? the ps4 move controllers i've seen dont have any analog sticks or anything, i just assumed the nav's did the trick. whole situation is confusing me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vikar Jerome posted:

huh. how do you move in those movable games? the ps4 move controllers i've seen dont have any analog sticks or anything, i just assumed the nav's did the trick. whole situation is confusing me.
There's all kinds of ways, some of which involve the face buttons on one or other of the move controllers, or pointing the controller where you want to go and pushing a button, and some involve holding the trigger to go forward or something like that. They're all bad.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I only played it on PC so that colors my opinion a lot re: loading times and performance in general but Prey is definitely in my imaginary list of top 10 games I've ever played. I absolutely loved, loved the atmosphere (mostly due to the great soundtrack) and the station felt amazing to explore as a complete, fully functional place.

I'm sure I must've said it before but, despite knowing the game didn't do well commercially and one of the Arkane leads even left, I still hope they get to make these kinds of games more in the future because Dishonored and Prey are loving great.

I'd be remiss not to mention their less known Arx Fatalis, a game that wasn't easy to get into even when released and even harder now, but that and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and flawed much more than Dishonored/Prey but still are very unique and sometimes even fun to play! I'd sadly put Dishonored 2 in this bag, too, they hosed up the performance even on PC and the whole story seemed like a rehash of the first game. The only saving grace was their stellar leveling design which still makes it better than a lot of other games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dark Messiah was great fun at the time. The melee combat was really good and it used the source engine to great effect. I actually played some of it a few weeks ago and it still looks very good! The voice acting is hilariously hammy.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
According to a ESRB description of Cyberpunk 2077 you can customize your genitals when you create your character.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rad Valtar posted:

According to a ESRB description of Cyberpunk 2077 you can customize your genitals when you create your character.
Like...from an open selection of parts?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

OMG ROBOCOP VS TERMINATOR 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEUrIoCHMew

wonder if bruce campbell fell through or they are just saving him for another pack.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 6, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just waking up to go to my office la la la ok checking some work emails gotta start on a new project today do de da ok cool today I have to... design... cybernetic genital implants... 10 wieners... 10 hoo-ha’s... what the gently caress is a “grab bag”... “Assorted!?” Oh good lord

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Chainsaw dick like in Robot Jox?

Also how about Mazinger style boob missiles while we're at it?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Like...from an open selection of parts?

Per the report, "Players can select a gender and customize their character; customization can include depictions of breasts, buttocks, and genitalia, as well as various sizes and combinations of genitals."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rad Valtar posted:

hell yeah giant balls and a sideways puss comin' right up

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

min-maxing my dongs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sony PS4: giant balls and a sideways puss