Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

njsykora posted:

That's assuming anyone on minimum wage is working 40 hours a week. I'm on slightly over minimum wage and at the 60% rate last month I would've gotten £696 because it's a rolling average of your last 12 months payslips. So people who've gotten recent paycuts from reduced hours are going to see their furlough pay slowly decrease anyway as higher pay periods fall off the record and drop the average. Also you can't claim the furlough pay if you're doing work for your employer from home, because by definition if you're working you're not furloughed. This is why the whole "it's to encourage people back to work" line pisses me off, furloughed people aren't unemployed. We still have our jobs, the entire point of the scheme was to stop companies from just firing everyone.

for a lot of people, no they don’t in reality still have their jobs. it’s disguised unemployment. they do not in any real sense still have those jobs, because there will not be a job to go back to. the second the furlough scheme ceases they will be made redundant. airlines and hospitality the most obvious examples that spring to mind.
that’s not a bad thing. it’s saving the employer from having to make redundancy payouts all at once while they’ve no income, and saves the dole office from being overwhelmed. and obviously much better for the furloughed worked given the poo poo state of job seeker’s allowances now and the nigh impossibility of looking for new employment during lockdown.

I suspect part of the reason for cutting the 80% to 60% is that if someone choses (albeit with coercion) to quit and take up a job elsewhere, there is no requirement for even a token redundancy payout.
government as usual looking out for the business owner not the worker

e: Twenty-Five is the title of the season 4 finale of the West Wing, the last episode Aaron Sorkin would himself write before being forced out by conflicts with NBC

Cerv fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

and also i guess there is a huge chunk pf the population who are utterly servile and will gladly go along with the monstering of people on furlough/people in low wage work losing their zero hours job and winding up homeless when the second wave happens and they have to self-isolate et

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

kingturnip posted:

This is one of those times when I'm very glad that I work for the NHS.
Smug moral superiority is my reward 99% of the time, but having a reliable source of income is doing it right now.

:same:

We get clapped at once a week too, that has a value beyond mere currency.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

justcola posted:

Your employer is lying to you, you can have multiple jobs and be furloughed (same as if I had 2 part time jobs, thats alright) plus - how they going to know?

I think the difference is if you have two part time jobs you're only being paid for one at a time, whereas if you're furloughed from a full time job you aren't supposed to do other paid work in your normal work hours.

"How are they going to know" is still valid, HMRC notwithstanding.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

It's 10 years ago today the 2010 election was held, so enjoy the nostalgia of propaganda about getting feckless scroungers back to work I guess :geno:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

crispix posted:

It's 10 years ago today the 2010 election was held, so enjoy the nostalgia of propaganda about getting feckless scroungers back to work I guess :geno:

"I Agree With Nick!" proclaimed a significant portion of this thread as idiot children.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Meow Meow drug teen ripped his scrotum off," proclaimed Home Secretary Alan Johnson as he broke the law in office repeatedly in the hope that people would vote for New Labour.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

sebzilla posted:

I think the difference is if you have two part time jobs you're only being paid for one at a time, whereas if you're furloughed from a full time job you aren't supposed to do other paid work in your normal work hours.

"How are they going to know" is still valid, HMRC notwithstanding.

It's still bullshit, you can absolutely have a second job whilst on furlough, and your employer can also ask you to take part in parts of the business that aren't revenue generating, e.g. they can give you training to complete, though you're under no obligation to complete it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

"Staff may be able to work for another employer so long as it does not breach your current employment contract.

They should only work outside of the hours they would normally work with the job they have been furloughed from."

So check your contract and your employer's advice I guess.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/meadwaj/status/1257935815860256768?s=21

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Good work voting for the Tories en masse last December, olds!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Liberal commentators: "This crisis will cause the Tories to rethink their wicked ways, we will move into a new normal where work and benefits are redefined"

Tories: "Welp, the crunch part's over, time to resume starving and yelling at people for not taking jobs that don't exist"

Liberal commentators: "Ah. Well, nevertheless..."

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
How long till some palace courtier bashes out a few hundred words in the telegraph floating the idea "people should just work for their 60% furlough pay until companies are back on their feet properly, to show we are all in it together"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Prince Andrew to show solidarity by going back to work on 60% of the standard age of consent.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Comrade Fakename posted:

Good work voting for the Tories en masse last December, olds!

"I'd rather die than let that CORBYN in to give me free broadband!!"

*dies as promised*

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

"I Agree With Nick!" proclaimed a significant portion of this thread as idiot children.

At least when I voted Liberal Charlie Kennedy was still leader.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Still leader, keg leader, cask leader...

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

sebzilla posted:

I agreed with Nick. New Labour were poo poo anyway.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

winegums posted:

I agreed with Nick. New Labour were poo poo anyway.

They were but Gordie Broon would have been better than the Nick and Dave dream team.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

at least they're making them comfortable during their last few hours on this earth and letting them slip off gently into that good night, rather than stuffing them full of tubes in an ITU or leaving them gasping for breath and in pain in their own beds

oh wait no, they're doing the last one because drugs are bad mmmkay

https://www.rcgp.org.uk/about-us/news/2020/april/rcgp-calls-on-home-secretary-to-urgently-relax-rules-on-controlled-medication.aspx

quote:

Patients are experiencing 'unnecessary' pain and distress in the last days of their lives during the COVID-19 pandemic due to laws restricting the use of controlled drugs, the Royal College of GPs has warned today.

In a letter to Home Secretary Priti Patel, the College says that the NHS also risks running out of essential medications unless there is a temporary ‘urgent relaxation' of the legal restrictions that mean controlled drugs - such as morphine which is used to help control severe breathlessness and pain in patients - can only be given to named patients, and then destroyed if not used.

In the letter, RCGP Chair Professor Martin Marshall acknowledges that the law governing the use of controlled drugs is 'reasonable' in normal times, but that during the current pandemic, 'the increased number of patients with end-of-life-care needs is leading to delays in administering drugs to patients whose COVID-19 symptoms develop rapidly.'

He continues: "We are aware of incidences where this has caused significant and unnecessary distress and pain to patients at the end of their lives and their families.

"We are hearing that the requirement for these named prescriptions, combined with localised shortages of drugs and the pressure on clinical staff, means that in some cases patients who are sadly near the end of their lives can wait hours before receiving these medications. Furthermore, unnecessary wastage during this time may result in some people not being able to have the essential drugs to relieve suffering from end of life symptoms, at all.

"The Royal College of GPs is therefore calling for an urgent relaxation of these measures which would allow stocks of medication to be managed and used more effectively, safely repurposing drugs that haven't been used for individuals and have been stored correctly – currently required by law to be destroyed – to allow medical professionals to make the most ethical use of these crucial drugs during the pandemic."

The College is also calling for hospital pharmacies to be able to dispense prescriptions from non-hospital prescribers, such as GPs and hospices – currently not possible without a contract or licence. It says that this would allow for easier sourcing of necessary drugs and relieve pressure on pharmacies in the community.

Prof Marshall continues: "Our proposals are for changes to regulations which would allow the more efficient and ethical supply of these drugs during this difficult time, while seeking to guarantee patients dignity at the end of their lives."

He notes that proposals put forward by the Home Secretary in her recent letter to the Advisory Council on the misuse of drugs 'would not allow for the supply of these controlled end of life drugs where a patient's symptoms rapidly developed.'

He is calling on the Home Secretary to use the emergency powers allowed through the Coronavirus Act 2020 to effectively manage consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic, writing: "We believe that relaxing these measures would be a proportional and sensible adjustment to make for the duration of this crisis."

Commenting on why the College felt it was necessary to write the letter, Prof Marshall said: "Patients rely on medication at all stages of their lives, but when they are at or nearing the end of their lives, the medication they receive is vital for ensuring they remain comfortable at what is often a very distressing time.

"We have already raised with the Government the need for temporary measures to allow more effective use of existing stocks of medicine, and we need to see this urgently - bureaucracy must not be a barrier when patients are in pain or distress and at their most vulnerable.

"We're in unprecedented times, and this calls for unprecedented measures. More people are becoming seriously ill and we want to ensure we are able to give them the care they need and deserve. What we are proposing is a sensible and proportional way of facilitating this during COVID-19."

Dr Adrian Tookman, Clinical Director, Marie Curie Hampstead Hospice, said: "Watching someone you love die is hard enough, but thinking that person is also in pain and distress makes it worse. For those left behind it may mean that they find it harder to process their grief and find vital closure.

"As the nation's end of life care charity, Marie Curie fully supports the Royal College of GP's proposed change in regulations and we urge the government to cut the red tape to make this happen urgently.

"In these challenging times we must try and avoid a potential crises and preserve precious medications that are key for relieving painful and distressing symptoms in patients who are dying. Changing the rules will help GPs and hospices get better access to the medication they need to support dying people, while ensuring that vital medication doesn't get destroyed and wasted unnecessarily."

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

crispix posted:

This can't be true. I started reading this thread during the 2010 election, so that would mean I've spent ten entire years of my youthful teens and twenties reading and getting gradually radicalised by a bunch of depressed lefties getting mad about the tories as they take over everything and- oh god what have i done

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

They were but Gordie Broon would have been better than the Nick and Dave dream team.
New Lab put a lot of effort into appearing to be the party of anti-science Daily Mail curtain twitching in the run up to the election.

Which ended up getting us Home Secretary Theresa May, which was not an improvement...
:hotpickle:

XMNN posted:

oh wait no, they're doing the last one because drugs are bad mmmkay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSJceGMH8V8

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

further to previous comments itt, i would add it has been instructive watching the paedofascist class move so quickly to further the interests of tech oligarchs and the panopticon. the media operating a ruthless domestic propaganda campaign in support, the opposition on the payroll. further proof we only have each other, especially in covid times.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a strange situation when Google and Apple are saying "here's a decentralized solution that we're providing pro bono" and the government are saying "no that won't do at all here's our broke brained potentially illegal under the GDPR shitsack solution made by rank amateurs."

I can't believe that Google and Apple are acting purely out of the goodness of their hearts, but the most likely situation is that the UK hasn't even progressed to the stage of civilization which is rule by cryptofascist techbros, and is still trapped in the feudal age of "I read English at Oxford, I used to be a journalist for The Times, I can write the app, I know I can do it."

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

New Lab just needed to be about 5% less poo poo and they'd have won that GE. Just a smidge less awful. Broon was a decent enough guy, if he'd won the GE and pushed Labour a bit left, maybe we'd be in a different world now. He'd have been in power during the hacking scandal (in which his son with cystic fibrosis was implicated), and very well may have taken a giant loving torch to the rats nest of bastards who comprise our press.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
If people's brains aren't hurting too hard already, tomorrow would have been election day for Cameron's 2015 parliament that triggered hellworld

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

winegums posted:

New Lab just needed to be about 5% less poo poo and they'd have won that GE. Just a smidge less awful. Broon was a decent enough guy, if he'd won the GE and pushed Labour a bit left, maybe we'd be in a different world now. He'd have been in power during the hacking scandal (in which his son with cystic fibrosis was implicated), and very well may have taken a giant loving torch to the rats nest of bastards who comprise our press.

We'd probably have recovered far better from the 2008 crash, then voted in Tory Leader Boorish Johnson in 2015 for some sweet tax cuts and return to happy fun times against either a tired old PM Brown or an underwhelming successor Miliband (either one.) Probably no Brexit in this timeline, but unlikely Corbyn would have won the leadership in 2015 either.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

winegums posted:

He could have probably won if he'd called the election two years earlier, that's two years less of "unelected PM" bullshit from the press and one less global financial crash.

Being 5% less poo poo would have helped too, but I think the material conditions of the time made it likely that a bunch of curtain twitching Blue Labour shites would have still tried to push their stupid poo poo through the House.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Doccykins posted:

If people's brains aren't hurting too hard already, tomorrow would have been election day for Cameron's 2015 parliament that triggered hellworld

I wonder if the universe where Remain won out would have been any better. Corbyn wouldn't have had his 2017 moment for starters.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

He could have probably won if he'd called the election two years earlier, that's two years less of "unelected PM" bullshit from the press and one less global financial crash.

We will obviously never know for sure, but I completely believe that we would be in a different world if he had just called an election immediately.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
Remain universe would have still had corona, the election would likely be held a year from now. The British public would have been able to hold the tories to account for their terrible handling of the crisis.

LOL like hell they would.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Matt Hancock says he backs any police action against Neil Ferguson

Is this something that is actually remotely actionable or is he just chatting poo poo here?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he's chatting poo poo

check out who is getting rehabilitated today

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1257969664560369664?s=20

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

This may seem silly but the economics are very sound; if you take away peoples ability to pay their rent or mortgage or buy food then they will return to their job in the travel or hospitality industry more motivated than ever which will in turn drive demand for those products and services. Bing bong so simple.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Boris just said 200,000 tests per day by the end of the month.

...But why? :shrug:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jose posted:

he's chatting poo poo

check out who is getting rehabilitated today

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1257969664560369664?s=20

yeah I looked at the legislation and it's leaving the place where you live that's illegal, not having someone round

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/regulation/6/made

app mancock

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
Alternatively having been indoors for an extended period they may now find their old office jobs no longer appeal and instead choose to travel three hours through the night to the Lincolnshire wolds at 5am to compete with migrant workers for fruit picking jobs that pay less than the living wage.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Boris just said that some of the changes being announced on Sunday will take effect on Monday, before they've been presented to parliament.

Do we have a bingo board for his Sunday speech yet?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Rory Stewart has pulled out the 2021 coronation of Sadiq Khan London Mayoral election. And so ends the saga of one of the oddest characters to achieve prominence through Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/06/rory-stewart-pulls-out-contest-next-london-mayor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I bet he could get his hands on some opium if he got the covids.