Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hawkperson posted:

In going back to look at it I learned that you have 49 pages worth of posts itt, holy poo poo.

Good joke though

All of pure quality, no doubt. (49 pages?! My god. I need to re-examine my life).

I’ve just checked. Yes, 49 pages. But since 2012!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Ahaha ahah reconsider your life decisions.

I made chicken stock from the saffron rice pilaf I made last night. Saffron is awesome.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bloody ghost titty posted:

I made chicken stock from the saffron rice pilaf I made last night. Saffron is awesome.

It is. My son loves rice pudding (as do i) and I made one on Friday with cinnamon, saffron and lemon zest. I’ve just had some leftovers (along with a portion of the behemoth lasagna (another child’s favourite) I just made).

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

It is. My son loves rice pudding (as do i) and I made one on Friday with cinnamon, saffron and lemon zest. I’ve just had some leftovers (along with a portion of the behemoth lasagna (another child’s favourite) I just made).

I’m reading Black Sea: Dispatches and Recipes right now and in her travel to the saffron capital of Turkey, she mentions that’s about the major use for it among the locals.

I lived in Spain for a summer so I can tell you to chuck a few threads at your rice and have your life changed.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I’m reading Black Sea: Dispatches and Recipes right now and in her travel to the saffron capital of Turkey, she mentions that’s about the major use for it among the locals.

I lived in Spain for a summer so I can tell you to chuck a few threads at your rice and have your life changed.

Yep, that flavour combo in the rice pudding is based on a Spanish version, which I am sure is Moorish is origin.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Got a great reminder of the limitations of raw cast iron after trying to do a vinegar braise in my dutch oven. For future reference, what braising liquids can I use on raw cast iron? I've had one successful one with a mix of saltwater and beer and I'd like to know what my other options are.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Good point keep talkin posted:

Got a great reminder of the limitations of raw cast iron after trying to do a vinegar braise in my dutch oven. For future reference, what braising liquids can I use on raw cast iron? I've had one successful one with a mix of saltwater and beer and I'd like to know what my other options are.

I've never tried so this is a guess but i'm guessing don't do anything below a pH of 4?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

Yep, that flavour combo in the rice pudding is based on a Spanish version, which I am sure is Moorish is origin.

And the Sephardim migrated to Istanbul when the Spanish Inquisition forced them out of formerly Moorish lands! I can (do) spend all day reading about human migration through the lens of food.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Wait, sweet woodruff syrup?

I love how it smells, but never thought to eat it

It's awesome, I highly recommend. It grows in our backyard and my SO made a litre of syrup from it last year. Suepr good.

I made some saffron ice cream a while back. It was nice.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

mediaphage posted:

I've never tried so this is a guess but i'm guessing don't do anything below a pH of 4?

Yeah figured that. More looking for suggestions since it seems like a lot of popular braising liquids are acidic. Anything good besides water or stock?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Yeah figured that. More looking for suggestions since it seems like a lot of popular braising liquids are acidic. Anything good besides water or stock?

Kombu/stuff made with other seaweeds. But really you can make a "stock" or "tea" out of anything. Take some water, add a bunch of poo poo to it, you got a braise, baby.

I mean I think it's easier to say don't use acids than anything else.

Tbh lately I've been doing a dry braise by letting stuff soak in its own expressed liquids and it works really well in some low and slow oven cases. I guess that is theoretically a stock. Beer is often pretty low pH, but not all of them. If something is on the border, you can also add a pinch of baking soda to bring it back up.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Got a great reminder of the limitations of raw cast iron after trying to do a vinegar braise in my dutch oven.

This reminds me, my wife's third trimester pamphlet (:toot:) says iron is very important to your diet right now so you can just cook some tomatoes in cast iron. I know it works but at what cost??

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

BrianBoitano posted:

This reminds me, my wife's third trimester pamphlet (:toot:) says iron is very important to your diet right now so you can just cook some tomatoes in cast iron. I know it works but at what cost??

Just get a little iron fish for your rice pot if you're worried about your skillet.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

We're going the prenatal vitamin route and happy with it. Just seems so imprecise dosage-wise for a hospital pamphlet!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
There were about 49 posts in the first page of my 49 pages of posts. That works out to around 2,400 posts. Over roughly 8 years it’s 300 p.a., or 25/month. Less than one a day! That’s not so bad.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

therattle posted:

gently caress yeah rice pudding

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I got about 20 gallons of milk from a local dairy and started making a poo poo ton of cheese! Yesterday a basic fresh rennet cheese and ricotta. Today a spicy fresh cheese (with hot pepper flakes mixed in) and more ricotta. 5 gallon batches are much better to work with its than 1 gallon ones.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I got about 20 gallons of milk from a local dairy and started making a poo poo ton of cheese! Yesterday a basic fresh rennet cheese and ricotta. Today a spicy fresh cheese (with hot pepper flakes mixed in) and more ricotta. 5 gallon batches are much better to work with its than 1 gallon ones.

That's awesome.

Make some mozza and then more ricotta from the whey! And possibly even gjetost if there's anything at all left.....

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I didn’t know bad tasting American cheese existed until now

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Awesome. You’re going to have a lot of cheese! Only cheese I’ve ever made is paneer.

Blessed are the cheese makers.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

in part because that's not even cheese. it's imitation cheese.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

(Not op, but) So if by ginger beer you mean the mostly non-alcoholic kind, I always used to make one before I built the carbonation rig.

2L bottle, ginger, yeast, sugar, lemon.

Grate a thumb-sized knob of ginger (peeled, since it’s going in a drink). You can squeeze or strain the juice out, but I always just added it, solids and all, to a clean 2-litre bottle. Add a cup of sugar as a sort of first batch starting point (it makes it pretty sweet), and a little bit of standard yeast (even a half teaspoon should do ‘er). Juice a lemon and add half or all of it. Fill the bottle with water up to the neck, cap it, and shake until the sugar is completely dissolved.

Place it in a warm-ish spot in your kitchen and check it daily by squeezing the bottle. When it feels tight like a standard carbonated soda pop, put it in the fridge until it’s cold, then enjoy.

Finally got round to trying this. Fresh batch a’brewing.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Steve Yun posted:

I always thought american cheese sucked because of these until I found the kind they have in the deli. Now that can be good cheese depending on the application. Kraft singles are fine for grilled cheese though. What you're holding doesn't even melt, WTF.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Croatoan posted:

I always thought american cheese sucked because of these until I found the kind they have in the deli. Now that can be good cheese depending on the application. Kraft singles are fine for grilled cheese though. What you're holding doesn't even melt, WTF.

it might, some of these are like 90% soybean oil, lol. i just noticed there's a second pack in the background.

therattle posted:

Finally got round to trying this. Fresh batch a’brewing.

can't wait to hear how it turns out. i want to add cayenne to my next batch.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

it might, some of these are like 90% soybean oil, lol. i just noticed there's a second pack in the background.

can't wait to hear how it turns out. i want to add cayenne to my next batch.

Me too! I did two bottles. I tried one slightly sweeter, and added some pepper to the other. Added lemon juice pulp but not zest as the lemon was zested already. And more ginger than a thumbnail because I like it punchy. I thought that lime juice and zest would be great too.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

therattle posted:

It is. My son loves rice pudding (as do i) and I made one on Friday with cinnamon, saffron and lemon zest.

Oh I'll try saffron next time. Coconut and lemon is my staple, with just a dash of cinnamon to help it thicken up. I'm hooked on eating it with a spoonful of marmalade on top.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweat poteto posted:

Oh I'll try saffron next time. Coconut and lemon is my staple, with just a dash of cinnamon to help it thicken up. I'm hooked on eating it with a spoonful of marmalade on top.

I sometimes go a coconut milk one (in the oven) with Indian spices like cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, star anise, ginger and cardamom.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

therattle posted:

Me too! I did two bottles. I tried one slightly sweeter, and added some pepper to the other. Added lemon juice pulp but not zest as the lemon was zested already. And more ginger than a thumbnail because I like it punchy. I thought that lime juice and zest would be great too.

I think I said a thumb's worth, but yeah, it's hard to go wrong with more ginger. I think turmeric would be a good addition, too, maybe. And think of the colour!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

While making a soup last night with fresh cardamon in it, I came to the conclusion that cardamon is my favourite spice by far. The smell of it as you break open the pods then grind the seeds and the flavour it brings to food is just delightful.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Helith posted:

While making a soup last night with fresh cardamon in it, I came to the conclusion that cardamon is my favourite spice by far. The smell of it as you break open the pods then grind the seeds and the flavour it brings to food is just delightful.

Try it in tea, yo. I make jugs of cardamom iced tea all the time with the Sadaf tea bags.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Helith posted:

I've been adding cardamon to my coffee when I grind it and it adds a really nice flavor.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Lessons from the pandemic: duckbucky does not freeze well. The rice cakes turn grainy and mushy on reheating

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Carillon posted:

I've been adding cardamon to my coffee when I grind it and it adds a really nice flavor.

I do that sometimes too, it's great.

Anyone ever tried cooking or fermenting the leaves on the outside of a cauliflower? I had an especially nice head of it and decided to shred up the greens and turn them into sauerkraut. It's a brassica, it should work.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

bartolimu posted:

Anyone ever tried cooking or fermenting the leaves on the outside of a cauliflower? I had an especially nice head of it and decided to shred up the greens and turn them into sauerkraut. It's a brassica, it should work.

They're fibrous, so will take extra time to get soft. But yes, your instinct is correct.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

I think I said a thumb's worth, but yeah, it's hard to go wrong with more ginger. I think turmeric would be a good addition, too, maybe. And think of the colour!

I meant thumb, yes.

quote="bartolimu" post="504645480"]

[/quote]

I often roast the leaves when roasting the head. They are definitely edible.

My WIFE loves cardamom so I’ve gotten into it too. It’s very good. There’s an artisan chocolatier here in London (Rococo) that does a sensational dark cardamom chocolate.

therattle fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 6, 2020

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

bartolimu posted:

We go through 12 heads of cauliflower per day at the restaurant, and we turn all of the leaves into kimchi, with the occasional batch of kraut. It’s fantastic stuff.

Like Wiggles says, it takes a little longer to break down, but that’s fine because it goes through an intensely funky cauliflower flavor stage. Like, more than a little unpleasant. You’re going to smell it and think you’ve made a mistake and should toss it. Hold on, it completely mellows out and gets great.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I add it after pouring, but sometimes I grate a little fresh nutmeg on top of my coffee.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doom Rooster posted:

We go through 12 heads of cauliflower per day at the restaurant, and we turn all of the leaves into kimchi, with the occasional batch of kraut. It’s fantastic stuff.

Like Wiggles says, it takes a little longer to break down, but that’s fine because it goes through an intensely funky cauliflower flavor stage. Like, more than a little unpleasant. You’re going to smell it and think you’ve made a mistake and should toss it. Hold on, it completely mellows out and gets great.

Just for reference, about how many days of fermenting until the stuff mellows out? Might try that sometime.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

That Works posted:

Just for reference, about how many days of fermenting until the stuff mellows out? Might try that sometime.

We run ours hot above our dehydrator, so it’s about 90f and by the 4th day it’s ready.

At home, fermenting around 75, I’d guess 10 days? It’ll be pretty obvious. It will smell unpleasantly vegetal. Like the strongest batch of collard greens ever. It goes away almost completely and smells like normal kimchi/kraut when it’s done. You’ll know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Thanks for the cauliflower input, folks. The leaves are happily sitting on the counter in brine, bubbles just starting to form. I'll leave it for at least a week before tasting.

As for the head of cauliflower, I tried a new technique sort of based on something my mother read in a Bon Appetite or something. Apparently it's a Hmong restaurant's way of doing green beans, but I figured it was a good idea for almost any veg and I was right:

Large skillet over medium-high heat with a few tablespoons of oil in it, probably 2-3mm coating the bottom. Get it hot, then press the veg (cut 1-2cm thick, this ain't rocket surgery) down into the pan in a single layer. Leave it undisturbed for at least 3 minutes, more like 5 with the cauliflower. Flip and repeat with the other side. Dredge in crispy-fried shallots and just enough oyster sauce to coat. The cauliflower edges got crispy and almost-burned, it got tender but still a bit crunchy on the inside, and it turns out oyster sauce tastes good on pretty much anything.

The original recipe calls for some fresh ginger and garlic, which of course would make it even better, but I'm out of both right now and not going shopping until next week. Still, it's a great dish and I'll be trying it on pretty much any other veg I can think of.