Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

This is such a clear case of projection it should be in text books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1258037997695635458

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

What are you going to do, arrest me?

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1256274755876986884

https://mobile.twitter.com/SaraGonzalesTX/status/1257791119393533953

quote:

A Dallas salon owner will spend a week in jail after she was found in contempt of court Tuesday for violating an order to close her salon during the coronavirus pandemic. In addition, Shelley Luther was fined $7,000 for continuing to operate her business, Salon à la Mode, in violation of a judge’s temporary restraining order issued against the business.

Luther was taken into custody immediately after the hearing and booked into the Dallas County jail just after 4:30 p.m.

Like other businesses deemed nonessential, Luther’s Far North Dallas salon was forced to close March 22 after the county enacted its stay-at-home order. She reopened the salon April 24 despite that order, and tore up a cease-and-desist letter from County Judge Clay Jenkins at a demonstration the next day.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBS11Andrea/status/1257809476096266245

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 6, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Time to buy, buy, buy, stocks. Nowhere to go but up

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i hestitate to offer investment advice but it's my belief that the stock market is just in la-la land and currently believing the propaganda and it's in for a hard crash with reality soon. it may just be, however, there's nowhere else to put your money. not like investing outside the us is safer (pandemic's everywhere); treasury interest rates are basically zero, and investing in corporate bonds right now has a very good chance of default and/or your bond being replaced by stock anyway, so why not just buy some stocks.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is on gofundme page

quote:

Shelley Luther is an American Hero that has decided to resist tyranny by opening her business against an unlawful State Executive Order. Her business, SALON A LA MODE offers services for hair and nails, microblading, permanent makeup, professional event makeup, braiding and more! Shelley and her team will likely face legal action, fines, and more during her journey back to freedom. She is doing what everyone else is only talking about, in a patriotic move to take back her liberty! Please support Shelley, and her employees by contributing to this worthy cause. You will not just be supporting Shelley, but you will be supporting the idea that our founders put in writing in the Constitution. 100% of all donations will go directly to Shelley Luther.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

evilweasel posted:

i hestitate to offer investment advice but it's my belief that the stock market is just in la-la land and currently believing the propaganda and it's in for a hard crash with reality soon. it may just be, however, there's nowhere else to put your money. not like investing outside the us is safer (pandemic's everywhere); treasury interest rates are basically zero, and investing in corporate bonds right now has a very good chance of default and/or your bond being replaced by stock anyway, so why not just buy some stocks.

The only investment advice you should ever take from this thread is: "Don't take investment advice from the thread."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

What does it mean by “destroyed?” As in if the virus miraculously went away today and everyone could go back to normal no problem those jobs would no longer be there?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Didn't see this posted anywhere, but let's look at our favorite failson's latest debacle:
https://mobile.twitter.com/nickconfessore/status/1257856628285718533

quote:

Dr. Jeffrey Hendricks had longtime manufacturing contacts in China and a line on millions of masks from established suppliers. Instead of encountering seasoned FEMA procurement officials, his information was diverted to a team of roughly a dozen young volunteers, recruited by the president’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and overseen by a former assistant to Mr. Kushner’s wife, Ivanka Trump.

The volunteers, foot soldiers in the Trump administration’s new supply-chain task force, had little to no experience with government procurement procedures or medical equipment.

quote:

As the federal government’s warehouses were running bare and medical workers improvised their own safety gear, Dr. Hendricks found his offer stalled. Many of the volunteers were told to prioritize tips from political allies and associates of President Trump, tracked on a spreadsheet called “V.I.P. Update,” according to documents and emails obtained by The New York Times. Among them were leads from Republican members of Congress, the Trump youth activist Charlie Kirk and a former “Apprentice” contestant who serves as the campaign chair of Women for Trump.
As a side note, I'm shocked the NYT editor let "Trump youth" slide, kudos to the writer who slipped it in.

quote:

While Vice President Mike Pence dropped by the volunteers’ windowless command center in Washington to cheer them on, they were confused and overwhelmed by their task, the whistle-blower said in interviews.

“The nature and scale of the response seemed grossly inadequate,” said the volunteer, who spoke only on the condition of anonymity and, like the others, signed a nondisclosure agreement. “It was bureaucratic cycles of chaos.”

How did the team of volunteers in their 20s, drawn from Google, private equity, and venture capital do?

quote:

They used personal Gmail accounts, prompting suspicion from some prospective suppliers and brokers who questioned their bona fides

quote:

But their work was plagued by frequent changes in process, efforts that turned out to be wasted, poor communication and mounting dread about their lack of progress

quote:

Other potential suppliers contacted FEMA officials after the volunteers departed, asking about lack of follow-up. FEMA officials, who were not provided with complete records on the calls made by the volunteers, were forced to restart vetting some bids

quote:

officials acknowledged it was difficult to identify specific contracts the volunteers had successfully sourced.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lumpy posted:

The only investment advice you should ever take from this thread is: "Don't take investment advice from the thread."

yeah. even if i'm right the market is in la-la land, doesn't mean it ever has to stop being in la-la land, going "well the last three months sucked, but a turnaround is just around the corner!"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1258026167547965447

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What does it mean by “destroyed?” As in if the virus miraculously went away today and everyone could go back to normal no problem those jobs would no longer be there?

it's just a language choice. the data is from a payroll firm, so they're just saying "this many people stopped getting paychecks in april"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

reminder: kevin hasset is an utter clown, who is in the white house because you get on TV as an economist by putting on a red rubber nose and some big floppy shoes and a rainbow wig, not by knowing anything about economics, but naturally this white house hires off of tv appearances

he is the person responsible for "well i don't know poo poo about anything, but let's just use a cubic line-fit in excel as our model rather than listen to these ""experts"", oh hey all coronavirus deaths will end on may 15"

that kevin hassett said something gives you precisely zero information, even if it's something bad for the admin

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

evilweasel posted:

reminder: kevin hasset is an utter clown, who is in the white house because you get on TV as an economist by putting on a red rubber nose and some big floppy shoes and a rainbow wig, not by knowing anything about economics, but naturally this white house hires off of tv appearances

he is the person responsible for "well i don't know poo poo about anything, but let's just use a cubic line-fit in excel as our model rather than listen to these ""experts"", oh hey all coronavirus deaths will end on may 15"

that kevin hassett said something gives you precisely zero information, even if it's something bad for the admin

He had also left the WH before the coronavirus started, and was on a lot of cable TV shows talking about how bad things will be, before getting re-hired to the position.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

evilweasel posted:

yeah. even if i'm right the market is in la-la land, doesn't mean it ever has to stop being in la-la land, going "well the last three months sucked, but a turnaround is just around the corner!"

The market can remain irrational longer then you or anyone can remain solvent.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

evilweasel posted:

it's just a language choice. the data is from a payroll firm, so they're just saying "this many people stopped getting paychecks in april"

Oh ok.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, there's no way to tell how many of those were downsized from companies that continue to exist and could quickly rehire and how many represent companies ceasing to exist entirely. But there are probably more than a few of the latter.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/juliacarriew/status/1257820061223383040

quote:

Facebook says it has removed several groups, accounts and pages linked to QAnon, taking action for the first time against the far-right U.S. conspiracy theory circulated among supporters of President Donald Trump.

The social-media giant made the announcement Tuesday as part of its monthly briefing on “coordinated inauthentic behavior” on its platforms. That’s Facebook’s term for fake accounts run with the intent of disrupting politics elections and society.

In addition to the QAnon accounts, Facebook also removed accounts linked to VDARE, a U.S. website known for posting anti-immigration content, as well as accounts in Russia, Iran, Mauritania, Myanmar and the country of Georgia.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

haveblue posted:

Yeah, there's no way to tell how many of those were downsized from companies that continue to exist and could quickly rehire and how many represent companies ceasing to exist entirely. But there are probably more than a few of the latter.

There is a 3rd option though. Downsizing that won't be re-hired and will just be put on a current employee's workload and never rehired. It's literally what happens every crash

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1258045199495946241

Over 70,000 dead from the Coronavirus, and he's still obsessing over his wall.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

so this is good news: within two weeks we may have some better data on which of the antibody tests actually work

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/fda-voices/insight-fdas-revised-policy-antibody-tests-prioritizing-access-and-accuracy

quote:

Therefore, the FDA is making an important change to the March 16 policy regarding the FDA review for commercial manufacturers’ serology tests.

Under this revised policy, the FDA has outlined the following expectations for antibody test developers:

Commercial manufacturers will submit EUA requests, with their validation data, within 10 business days from the date they notified the FDA of their validation testing OR from the date of this policy, whichever is later.
Furthermore, the FDA has provided specific performance threshold recommendations for specificity and sensitivity for all serology test developers.

(there's like two feet of self-justification for why they didn't do this earlier but that's the key part)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1258045199495946241

Over 70,000 dead from the Coronavirus, and he's still obsessing over his wall.

I see a red wall and I want it painted black.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

karthun posted:

The market can remain irrational longer then you or anyone can remain solvent.

Also there's a strong element of 'I won't say the market is a bubble if you don't' among the people with money in it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

evilweasel posted:

notably real estate and in particular rentals are comically non-options for investment so it's definitely a case of 'what are you going to do, buy a rental building full of people who aren't getting paid and can't be evicted?' And it's not like anyone is shelling out for franchises of any of the common businesses that people with some cash to invest tend to buy, either.

Also p sure a lot of wall street thinks they can find a way to profit off of any national misfortune

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 6, 2020

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

evilweasel posted:

In 2008 many banks did all they could, up to committing blatant fraud, to not allow the value of their toxic assets to drop until they had shored up their positions and were largely insulated from the value drop. Since they were unpunished for what they did, it’s not a huge leap of logic that this would become standard operating procedure in times of crisis. I’m convinced that this is certainly part of why the markets have become entirely divorced from reality, in addition to all the money the fed is injecting into the market.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 6, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I see a red wall and I want it painted black.

Nonzero chance he's still trying to get a crocodile moat

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Data Graham posted:

Nonzero chance he's still trying to get a crocodile moat

Who was the guy who wanted a somehow self-replenishing tire fire for a wall?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

evilweasel posted:

The senate, assuming trump loses (which is an important assumption, both from the VP tiebreaker and setting a baseline), is currently about a tossup.

Do you mean that the median outcome is that Trump loses and the Senate is a tossup? If you're only looking at scenarios where Trump loses, I would expect at least a Democratic lean to the Senate.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
How can it be transparent if it's black. This is extremely dangerous.

Oh they're still using the bars. Phew.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

evilweasel posted:

so this is good news: within two weeks we may have some better data on which of the antibody tests actually work

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/fda-voices/insight-fdas-revised-policy-antibody-tests-prioritizing-access-and-accuracy

(there's like two feet of self-justification for why they didn't do this earlier but that's the key part)

They didn't do it earlier because this admin has no understanding of how to properly work the levers of the regulatory system. They keep the strict rules put in place after Theranos for too long without an emergency exemption for Covid, and now have left those rules suspended for far too long

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This is on gofundme page

https://twitter.com/SaraGonzalesTX/status/1257879430401331200?s=19

The right wing is cynically and opportunistically using the covid-19 crisis to trigger a radicalized violent right-wing uprising in the country against their sociopolitical enemies. They will very likely see significant success in this effort, as the same puppetmasters behind people like Glenn Beck/The Blaze (The Council for National Policy) have deeply infiltrated the federal apparatus during the Trump administration.

I I think it's time for at-risk individuals (mostly minorities/the disabled) to have a long hard look at the particulars of their safety situation, make a safety plan of action, and make whatever preparations/take whatever precautions you deem appropriate for your situation. The right wing is psyching itself up across a very broad spectrum and it's got various hatewatch organizations alarmed behind closed doors.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Isn't the black paint being used to make it absorb heat to burn anyone who tries to touch it?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

RBA Starblade posted:

Who was the guy who wanted a somehow self-replenishing tire fire for a wall?

Wasn't that a Freep post?

I think it was less self-replenishing as it was, "dump all the old tires in the country here in a wide path, they'll be hard to cross, get filled with mosquitoes and snakes, and sometimes start burning due to lighting etc." And I guess new dumped tires would make up for the burned ones.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This is on gofundme page

It is loving insane that the gofundme has almost hit its $250k goal and everyone should look it up and report it for fraud.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TVs Ian posted:

Wasn't that a Freep post?

I think it was less self-replenishing as it was, "dump all the old tires in the country here in a wide path, they'll be hard to cross, get filled with mosquitoes and snakes, and sometimes start burning due to lighting etc." And I guess new dumped tires would make up for the burned ones.

Was it? I might be confusing that with the other guy who just wanted a bunch of land mines.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/6abc/status/1258002876196102144

quote:

DARBY, Pennsylvania -- One man is in custody after police say he disrupted a salute to health care workers and led them on a chase through Delaware County.

According to investigators, the suspect drove an SUV through a parade of first responders who were paying tribute to the staff at Mercy Fitzgerald Medical Center Tuesday night.Officers said the man threatened to hurt people while waving a gun.

Police said the chase came to an end when the man lost control of the car at Main Street and MacDade Boulevard in Darby.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Promoted Pawn posted:

In 2008 many banks did all they could, up to committing blatant fraud, to not allow the value of their toxic assets to drop until they had shored up their positions and were largely insulated from the value drop. Since they were largely unpunished for what they did, it’s not a huge leap of logic that this would become standard operating procedure in times of crisis. I’m convinced that this is certainly part of why the markets have become entirely divorced from reality, in addition to all the money the fed is injecting into the market.

you're mixing up two different categories of assets. a stock is a very "liquid" asset: at any time you can find a buyer or a seller for a share of, say, amazon stock. the price is what the market says it is, and if you disagree with the market you can bet against it, but there's an objective value of your stock assets. if a bank says "well, the trading price of my amazon stock is $100 but i think it's really $150" then tough poo poo, the asset is booked as worth $100.

what banks (and here, we are talking more "goldman sachs" and less "bank of america") hosed with are non-liquid assets. for example: a home. what is your house actually worth? well, to find out, you'd need to engage in a fairly lengthy, expensive sale process. at the end, after actually selling the house, you have an objective data point - but who's to say you wouldn't have gotten a better offer if you held out another day? and so assets like that, which are not liquid, are very easy to gently caress with: a bank just says "look I think the value is X" and books it as X.

what you might also be referencing is how goldman et al refused to adjust the value of credit default swaps on mortgages in favor of the people shorting the market, until after they'd shifted their position. and to be clear, the way those work is whoever is "down" pays the side who is "up" every day/week so as to minimize counterparty risk - if i shorted a tranche of mortgages and they start looking wobbly, and you sold me the CDS, you're supposed to start paying me right now. essentially, you are supposed to pay me what someone else would pay me to take over my position, such that at the end of the day the position has zero intrinsic value. that way, i know you're good for it - and if you're not, you go bust really quickly before i lose much of my gains.

but that's still the basic scam as above: a particular CDS on a particular tranche of home loans is a bespoke product. and the sellers of that bespoke product were also setting the market, so they could lie and say "yeah no movement, i don't owe you poo poo" it does not work with stocks. because there's a liquid trading market you can't just declare the price is X - if you want the price to be higher, you gotta spend millions/billions buying up all the stock until it is. and if you actually think the stock is worth a lot less, what you've done is just massively increased your losses.

nerox
May 20, 2001

skylined! posted:

It is loving insane that the gofundme has almost hit its $250k goal and everyone should look it up and report it for fraud.

Now we get to see all the copy cats looking to cash in on that grift, as well.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Thinking about starting a gofundme for proudly not wearing a mask while standing on my porch. I wanna get in on this grift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Herewaard posted:

There is a 3rd option though. Downsizing that won't be re-hired and will just be put on a current employee's workload and never rehired. It's literally what happens every crash

Yeah you can bet that many companies will look at the transition to work from home and just decide to load up remaining employees with essential stuff while subcontracting out anything else at poverty wages. They're already using the shutdown to squeeze more productivity out of people for the "privilege" of working remotely:

https://twitter.com/annehelen/status/1257776095325073408?s=19

Just look at what's going on in education and academia right now - schools have to figure out how to bring kids back on campus for the "college experience" but the allure of being able to farm out essentially any course into online learning is going to decimate job security for any educator. NYS is gearing up to let Bill Gates dismantle their school system for parts and replace every teacher with a surface tablet.

It's going to be the same as the "recovery" after the last recession except worse because a lot of gig economy work is not coming back either.