Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wait isn't SAS british

Yea brit and aus and nz, and also generally not for the morbidly obese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

brains posted:

bay of piss

that's the one

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Was I the only one waiting for the Venezuelan coup/Qanon crossover? Well, the wait is over!!

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/qj4dvd/captured-american-mercenary-appears-to-be-really-into-qanon?__twitter_impression=true

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Hey man he was there when General Sheppard betrayed Ghost and Roach so watch your privilege

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Grimezsz/status/1257836061520101377?s=19

:chloe:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I want to hurl at the insult to the sr71

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think the SR-17 just loving bothers me way too loving much. Like, you could have gone with a middle name of Oxcart instead of A-12, but whatever- but loving up and saying SR-17 instead of SR-71? That triggers me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This is schizophrenic thinking.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I think the SR-17 just loving bothers me way too loving much. Like, you could have gone with a middle name of Oxcart instead of A-12, but whatever- but loving up and saying SR-17 instead of SR-71? That triggers me.

Especially because you say it's your favorite plane right?!

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stravag posted:

Especially because you say it's your favorite plane right?!

Ex-loving-zactly

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

But how can thr unarmed sr17 hope to compare to the true shining star of american airpowet the f61 fighting fulcrum?

Yes i hate myself why do you ask?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
What? No jabs at the AE is my ELVEN SPELLING OF AI?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I don't know what level of irony reality is operating on right now

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
As someone who speaks a language that has the letter Æ natively, let me just say gently caress those people.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ded posted:

For all I know those who identify as elven may be an oppressed minority. You eat that 6 hour probation for poking fun at the elves in their trees making cookies and I’ll keep my rap sheet pristine.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
There is a very non-zero chance that SR-17 is trolling nerds. Or a typo?

But hell this entire name could be a troll and the kid’s birth cert is just like “Jake.”

In the past she straight up has told reporters she’s going to change her name a bunch as her character/world change, calling her entire thing “super pretentious” herself and has talked avout when she puts out her (quite good!) pop songs, it is to troll both herself and her fans.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/SweetBeans99/status/1257680828500328449

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

mlmp08 posted:

There is a very non-zero chance that SR-17 is trolling nerds. Or a typo?

But hell this entire name could be a troll and the kid’s birth cert is just like “Jake.”

In the past she straight up has told reporters she’s going to change her name a bunch as her character/world change, calling her entire thing “super pretentious” herself and has talked avout when she puts out her (quite good!) pop songs, it is to troll both herself and her fans.

if that's the case she's also trolling ol' musky

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1257925244733452290?s=20

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I hate the world if this is a current event.

I hate the world for a lot of current events but this is just so dumb.

Well, everything else is so dumb too.

I’m surrounded by dumb poo poo.

#KAGA2020

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

ded posted:

There are at least three different personalities in that name and they are all :psyduck:

Brb renaming my child π Volpæus AC4400

π is circles which are like, wow math
Volpæus is my Second Life avatar, he's a fox who is also a vampire
AC4400 is my favorite locomotive DON'T @ ME EMD STANS

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

This is just the prelude to people naming their kids emojis.

Yes this is my son 🥒🏊📱6️⃣9️⃣4️⃣2️⃣0️⃣

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Train people are all so weird too. Its the one thing about "well theres your problem" that I keep noticing is that train people make Sheldon from Big Bang Theory look normalish about trains. Theyre like the sports stat people that know a team's winrate on the third monday after super tuesday when the team managera uncle in law had a visectomy. I dunno man give me a car and highways everywhere so when I hit the "yeah I'm done with this now" point i can stop driving and do something else. And actually go places I want to go in a semi reasonable time frame.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 6, 2020

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

WHAT COLOR WAS THE MCDONALDS IN HEREFORD

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Stravag posted:

Train people are all so weird too. Its the one thing about "well theres your problem" that I keep noticing is that train people make Sheldon from Big Bang Theory look normalish about trains. Theyre like the sports stat people that know a team's winrate on the third monday after super tuesday when the team managera uncle in law had a visectomy. I dunno man give me a car and highways everywhere so when I hit the "yeah I'm done with this now" point i can stop driving and do something else. And actually go places I want to go in a semi reasonable time frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInDH2FeXaM

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

His pre-war days were full of running around California in the 1840s, I think.

Sherman didn't let Ohio define him, but he had a big chip on his shoulder just being born there. It inspired him to leave. It's not like Sherman sat on an Ohio porch with a british flag and a cup of tea (because Ohioans celebrates losers like the confederates) his whole life, pushing some narration of bullshit. He went out, killed a lot of people, became a national treasure for what he did to Georgia and making South Carolina piss itself. He then led the war college for a string of years later after the war. His medal of honor is suspect, but so were a lot back then.

Gotta admire the mans' tenacity, just for leaving Ohio. Imagine if he had stayed and the world never got to see his true gift at work.

He did some bad poo poo, but kicking confederates around really, really weighs heavily in his favor.

He also learned counter-insurgency fighting the Seminoles in the Everglades. Imagine a Pre-Civil War era Vietnam were the US won by burning villages. That's where he learned that insurgents are sustained by the land and occupying armies aren't, so if you make war on the insurgents means of production, you win by starving them out. He went on to apply these lessons against the Confederates and the Plains Indians.

JohnnyHardcore
Jan 15, 2008

PeterCat posted:

He also learned counter-insurgency fighting the Seminoles in the Everglades. Imagine a Pre-Civil War era Vietnam were the US won by burning villages. That's where he learned that insurgents are sustained by the land and occupying armies aren't, so if you make war on the insurgents means of production, you win by starving them out. He went on to apply these lessons against the Confederates and the Plains Indians.

Here's an awesome paper that quantifies monetarily how much Sherman's March actually turbo-hosed the land it occurred on for generations

https://economics.stanford.edu/sites/g/files/sbiybj9386/f/feigenbaum.pdf

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
drat, Grimes and her boyfriend couldn’t even retain title of weirdest name for like 24 hours.

https://twitter.com/thejewishdream/status/1257672700383936514?s=21

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Odessa is my home town and people are not handling this protest well because theyre trying to lick the boots that are now mildly inconveniencing them. Most normal people I know there, despite being full bore MAGA still think this was stupid as gently caress because of the guns.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

drat, Grimes and her boyfriend couldn’t even retain title of weirdest name for like 24 hours.

Please, call me Skin. Mr Hunger is my father’s name.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 6, 2020

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

mlmp08 posted:

The mild sweet taste of skin :unsmigghh:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Whats this from?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

Whats this from?

Excellent movie Parasite.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MA-Horus posted:

WHAT COLOR WAS THE MCDONALDS IN HEREFORD

:laffo:

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Woofer posted:

This is just the prelude to people naming their kids emojis.

Yes this is my son 🥒🏊📱6️⃣9️⃣4️⃣2️⃣0️⃣

I feel preemptively bad for that kid

https://twitter.com/juulgod50/status/1257781642325868544

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/05/mercenaries-arrested-after-alleged-failed-coup-in-venezuela.html

Has this already come up yet because lol at tweeting about doing a bay of pigs while en route.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

That's a surprisingly thoughtful approach from a woman who named their kid X AE A-12

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/05/mercenaries-arrested-after-alleged-failed-coup-in-venezuela.html

Has this already come up yet because lol at tweeting about doing a bay of pigs while en route.

i posted their tweet @ donald but the events remain current

i read the ap article the day it came out and then when i first heard about the arrests i actually thought "wow, an even smaller and worse-prepared group beat them to it"

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I'm having a hard time reconciling the idea that Green Berets are supposed to be the Top .01% of soldiers in the US Army with the fact that one of these Silvercorps clowns tried to invade Venezuela with an airsoft rifle.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I think the airsoft rifle was to arm the guard in their eventual brig in case they capture a Venezuelan super soldier who incapacitates the guard in a scheme involving a ketchup bottle, that way the super soldier doesn't immediately get a weapons upgrade the second he escapes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I'm having a hard time reconciling the idea that Green Berets are supposed to be the Top .01% of soldiers in the US Army with the fact that one of these Silvercorps clowns tried to invade Venezuela with an airsoft rifle.

My friend, let me tell you about the average intelligence level of your common soldier...