Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

Records mode owns and imo is a lot better for battles than romance

Plus the Lords are like 10x as killy which is cool, zhang Fei is a goddamn monster in Records

Yeah I feel like the people who think that the generals are less powerful in Records have not actually played Records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Think 3k is finally clicking a bit, got an okay start as Yuan Shao. How should I deal with enemy commanders? I can't afford better archers than militia and all my generals suck at dueling

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

StashAugustine posted:

Think 3k is finally clicking a bit, got an okay start as Yuan Shao. How should I deal with enemy commanders? I can't afford better archers than militia and all my generals suck at dueling

Just kill them normally. As in try to hold them in place with tanky units so that you can start loving up the rest of the enemy before coming in and striking them from behind.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

StashAugustine posted:

Archers are not a good solution to killing enemy generals. The accuracy is so bad that you could probably have like 5 archer units shooting a single general and it could take 5 minutes to kill him just sitting still.

You can de horse enemy commanders by luring them into braced spears, that really helps limit their rampaging through all your poo poo. Your infantry won’t really chop the enemy general up, even de horsed. Cycle charging cav is the best solution to kill enemy generals, the units are spread out so the generals splash attacks do less damage.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I feel like the people who think that the generals are less powerful in Records have not actually played Records.

Records generals seem both more lethal and also more able to be countered by anything other than other generals.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Dealing with enemy commanders, a list:

A: Have stronger commanders
B: Use all of your commanders simultaneously to pick them off one by one
C: Send a spear retinue in their general direction, repeat until commander dead
D: Charge with lance cavalry
E: Stall them by dueling to buy your army time

Ravenfood posted:

Records generals seem both more lethal and also more able to be countered by anything other than other generals.

During my Liu Bei trial-run in records it felt obscenely powerful to have access to so much cavalry so early.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

How does confederation and alliances work in 3k again? Need to figure out who I can leave in my coalition as Yuan Shao

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah with the end game I just used the river to capture a little province nearby Baxi to use as a spawn point, jumped a bunch of guys in and new lines right for Baxi, which was the Shu Han capital. AI was riding to stop me but there was no way they could catch me. The AI at least on normal hasn’t grokked the recall system, so taking their capital was a piece of cake, campaign in the book.

alex314 posted:

dude was commanding an army in process of ethnic cleansing non-Han people on their western lands that got rebellious. There was even a comparison between him and Julius Caesar's legions returning from Gaul.

2000 years later, same poo poo different flies

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 4, 2020

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

alex314 posted:

I've listened to Fall of Civilizations podcast episode about fall of Han, and they put an interesting perspective that is completely absent from popular culture: Red Cliffs was the very last action that could have ended with saving Han Empire. It was presented as Prime Minister Cao Cao's last ditch attempt at subduing warring lords.

Funny, that's the exact take Dynasty Warriors 8 has in it's Wei hypothetical mode.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cao Cao was smart, he'd never take the throne for himself, but he'd absolutely tee it up for his best heir while seizing all of the de facto power. Very Caesar, just longer lived. Sadly Cao Pi wasn't much of an Augustus.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Angry Lobster posted:

Because otherwise it would be a shamefur dispray.

if you can find me a recording where he says it like this by this time tomorrow i won't probate you

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

okay one thing i dont like about retinues: it seems like you can't transfer your uber veteran starting militia to a backlines army and instead have to disband them all :(

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

skooma512 posted:

2000 years later, same poo poo different flies

I know it's in vogue to be a knuckle-dragging sinophobe right now and all the manchildren whose only lenses for viewing the world are video games and message boards think that the Hong Kong riots were some great political awakening for them, but in the interest of even-handedness maybe this kind of concern-trolling racism should be just as punishable as "shamefur dispray" poo poo?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

what is your opinion on the uyghur camps?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Autism Sneaks posted:

I know it's in vogue to be a knuckle-dragging sinophobe right now and all the manchildren whose only lenses for viewing the world are video games and message boards think that the Hong Kong riots were some great political awakening for them, but in the interest of even-handedness maybe this kind of concern-trolling racism should be just as punishable as "shamefur dispray" poo poo?

no how about you gently caress off

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Guys stop being mean to the totalitarian fascist regime come on

And instead tell me which of these video game men to play as first? I really suck at this game's strategic layer

Edit: 3 kingdoms, I mean.

Jeremor fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 5, 2020

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jeremor posted:

And instead tell me which of these video game men to play as first? I really suck at this game's strategic layer

Sun Jian is fun by himself and he has some awesome kids to look forward to.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jeremor posted:

2nding sun jian

the game gives you story beats that guides you on a decent strategic path, your starting city and the cities to the direct east are OP for moneymaking and theres really no one to challenge you

put sun ce in charge of cavalry

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Yeah, it's been a while (before addition of White Tiger) but my main problem with Sun Jian was deciding on when to stop by expanding so corruption won't eat me.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Jeremor posted:

I'll assume base game / Rise of the Warlords...

Fightin' Dudes: Sun Jian or Gongsun Zan. Sun Jian is fairly safe with plenty of powerful heroes and units and has easy access to the most lucrative commanderies. Gongsun Zan is a good beatstick and has Zhao Yun who's incredibly strong. He also is in the corner and is good friends with Liu Bei for when you inevitably go to war with Yuan Shao.

Talky Dudes: Kong Rong or Liu Biao. Kong Rong has a malus to armies but gets real strong off trade and is right next to best friend Liu Bei. Liu Biao is in the center of the map yet despite that is incredibly safe and maneuvring around diplomacy and just punching Yuan Shu makes everyone like you.

Yellow Turbans: Gong Du is nice and safe and a strong hero. He Yi is in the central plains thunderbowl and Huang Zhong can be best described with nervous laughter at the starting position being between seven powers that utterly hates your guts.

Bandits: Yan Baihu or Zhang Yan. Yan is safe and has two powerful heroes while Zhang Yan has a defensible spot and the absurd ability to launch ambushes off normal engagements.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah for some reason the game thinks that Cao Cao is a good starting faction but he's right in the middle of the yellow river thunderdome so it can be a challenge just surviving your first 30 turns or so.

Sun Jian is a good first choice, as is Gongsun Zan -- finish off Gonsun Du first and then your back is in a corner and you only have to worry about a single front.

Ma Teng is also a cool faction for cool non-genocide-denying people. His first four turns or so can be pretty rough, but there are plenty of step-by-step guides to punking Gong Du that you can follow. Once you're over that hump, you get to enjoy gigantic wads of cash from your silk road tradeposts, near-free cavalry from your horse pastures, a free elite mount every dozen turns or so from the animal tamer, a whole host of cool unique barbarian units, and your heir Ma Chao is just as kickass if not more so than his dad.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I got Ma Chao as a turncoat as Yuan Shao :getin:

Also if I go back to medieval 2 after this are there any mods that make the core game work better (ai, quality of life) without overhauling it too much?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Davincie posted:

what is your opinion on the uyghur camps?

That's kind of what I was driving at, don't know how we got to Hong Kong.

It's also kind of weird to be called a sinophobe... when I have a Chinese surname. I'm not Chinese AFAIK, but I imagine my ancestors in northern Korea went back and forth over the ages.

Like there's no love lost between me and the CCP, but I don't have beef with Chinese people in general. If I did, why the gently caress would I be playing a game about their history and stories?

Jeremor posted:

People are saying Sun Jian and I agree. The caveat is to not turtle in the south too much as his special resource is gained by fighting. You need to be fighting on a regular basis or you are going to have problems. I've run into issues when I'm too much of a carebear and don't fight enough and end up in kind of a failure spiral as you get penalized for letting that resource drop too much.

Cao Cao is also easy BUT I recommend walking away from Chen entirely and getting that province that's south of IIRC modern Shanghai. There isn't many strong enemies down there so you can get a foothold. Eventually someone will take Chen from you but whatever you'll get it back later and rice is the best crop in the game and that's only in the south.

Always play to your strengths in this game. Cao Cao is big on food bonuses, so he really shines in the south. Sun Jian mercenaries are great for spawning big armies fast that you disband afterward.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Probably not the best place to litigate if the PRC is bad. Anyway I had to give up on 3k since my laptop is basically crashing beyond turn 100 so Venice in m2 it is then. How the gently caress do lance charges work again?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

skooma512 posted:

It's also kind of weird to be called a sinophobe... when I have a Chinese surname. I'm not Chinese AFAIK

cool

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Probably not the best place to litigate if the PRC is bad. Anyway I had to give up on 3k since my laptop is basically crashing beyond turn 100 so Venice in m2 it is then. How the gently caress do lance charges work again?

Have your cav at a decent distance, then single click on the target. They'll trot a bit then charge towards the end.

*edit*

Found the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mi8rUs240

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Trying out sun Jian now, thanks for the tips. Anyone have some quick tips for the research tree though? I feel totally overwhelmed and lost whenever I have to pick something. I've started down the red tree because I figure I'm going to be fighting a lot but have no deeper understanding.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jeremor posted:

Trying out sun Jian now, thanks for the tips. Anyone have some quick tips for the research tree though? I feel totally overwhelmed and lost whenever I have to pick something. I've started down the red tree because I figure I'm going to be fighting a lot but have no deeper understanding.

Rush the 10% replenishment focus. Nothing else really matters. Go green if you need food. Go yellow if you want hapiness/lowered corruption. Go blue or purple for income. It's not very nuanced and matters less and less as the game goes on.

Deciding early on if you want to go industry, commerce or peasantry helps a lot. Industry is the least complicated, just gotta grab all toolmakers and mines you can find and enjoy absurd additional income from your research bonuses.

I've been going peasantry for my last 5 games and I'm still unsure if it's ever worth the effort.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 6, 2020

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

People usually go for +replenishment techs. Other than that I'd grab additional trade, and then go for -corruption buildings. You'll need those administration buildings!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tbh there's really no need to rush for the corruption modifiers. They're a lot less impactful than they look due to how they're applied. Administrators will be doing most of the heavy lifting on that front regardless of where you tech.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Replenishment is almost mandatory, I feel. I kinda wish they'd spread it around rather than have it straight down the military tree. Argue that better industry means you get a better supply of weapons or something, so you can replenish easier, etc.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Does peasantry income scale with pop of a commandery? I guess it does, right? 10% peasantry income on a pop at 1.2mil is more than 10% income on a pop of 400k. Or is it the same income no matter what?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Jeremor posted:

A nice single pick tech is the purple slave one that reduces all building times by one.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Qubee posted:

Does peasantry income scale with pop of a commandery? I guess it does, right? 10% peasantry income on a pop at 1.2mil is more than 10% income on a pop of 400k. Or is it the same income no matter what?

Population used to only affect peasentry but now boosts everything.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I still think food+tribute based economies are the best by far. Should be earning six figures of diplomacy income before the Three Kingdoms phase if you're striking food-for-tribute deals throughout the lands. Zheng Jiang is a boss babe working from home.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's a weird balancing decision that you can have corruption eating away 3/4 of your taxes, but not even a single grain of wheat.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
this just popped up on my feed:

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1258033949693132800

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Only way they could be more obvious is if they renamed their twitter Total Waaagh. Actually, they should do that.

Bring on the Greenskins update! :black101:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

For Sun Jian you probably want the techs that boost commerce since he has a trade port in his home province and the southern coasts all to himself pretty much.

What you need is going to depend on your situation. When in doubt, a little extra money or food never hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-elysium-closed-beta-faq/

CA is going to make a hearthstone except you play as Pontus.