Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Waci posted:

Flour water salt yeast

I like FWSY but goddamn his recipes have a lot of discard.

Any of Peter Reinhart's books are great. I have used the heck out of Bread Bakers Apprentice.

Tartine is also good but don't buy a new copy cuz they're anti-union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

My recommendation would be to find some recipes written for sour dough and follow them before you try to convert poo poo. I read around a bit about concerting and just went nope because I could tell it required a lot more intuitive grasp of baking than I have at this point.

The recipe was specifically sourdough: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/naturally-leavened-sourdough-bread-recipe

Because same, I'm not trying to run any conversions or do extra science. Just thinking either my isn't strong enough or rising time is wrong.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Casu Marzu posted:

I like FWSY but goddamn his recipes have a lot of discard.

Any of Peter Reinhart's books are great. I have used the heck out of Bread Bakers Apprentice.

Tartine is also good but don't buy a new copy cuz they're anti-union.

BBA is the standard of all bread books imo.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hell yeah, only took about a week and a half to get my sourdough starter kicked off and now it seems to be nice and bubbly, doubling in volume in about 8-10 hours.

so i guess that means i can move to the fridge and i can make this:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/rustic-sourdough-bread-recipe

so this recipe calls for 1 cup (227g) ripe (fed) sourdough starter, does this mean that i feed it, wait 8 hours and then measure out the 1cup of the starter for the recipe?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Today I baked bread with my beer yeast abomination.

It's actually pretty good? My house smells like warm beer now, though, but I am Australian, so no biggie that I'm living up to the cultural stereotype... :shrek:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

froglet posted:

Today I baked bread with my beer yeast abomination.

It's actually pretty good? My house smells like warm beer now, though, but I am Australian, so no biggie that I'm living up to the cultural stereotype... :shrek:

Go the whole hog and use it to make a Vegemite pie.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I made a 50/50 whole wheat and rye sourdough this past weekend.

It tastes super good, it's just dense which is to be expected with so much rye and whole wheat. I don't have any bread flour (and wanted to save some of my AP flour) so clearly there wasn't enough gluten in this loaf to make it rise.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doh004 posted:

I made a 50/50 whole wheat and rye sourdough this past weekend.

It tastes super good, it's just dense which is to be expected with so much rye and whole wheat. I don't have any bread flour (and wanted to save some of my AP flour) so clearly there wasn't enough gluten in this loaf to make it rise.

That looks really good. I think you actually got a decent rise given the flours you used.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
The bacteria in my starter must be millennials, because they are not reproducing.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

therattle posted:

That looks really good. I think you actually got a decent rise given the flours you used.

Good to hear! I had so much trouble shaping this dough as it was super sticky. I kinda "gave up" and got them into the relatively correct shape to get them into the bannetons. I think I probably could have kept working them longer to give them some more structure but it was getting late and I wanted enough time in the fridge to bake the next morning.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just had a perfect moment.

Went out into the backyard to grab rosemary so I could make crackers out of my way-too-big sourdough discard bowl. While fighting the bees for the rosemary tips, I saw a hummingbird feeding from the roses.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

What's the threads recommendation on books about bread?

The only dedicated bread book I own is The Bread Bible.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hi.

I have barm.

It is the barm from The Bread Baker’s Apprentice that you use to make the New York Deli Rye.

I need to refresh my barm.

The barm recipe says I have to refresh my barm with unbleached high gluten or bread flour.

I am out of both unbleached high gluten and bread flour.

I cannot find unbleached high gluten or bread flour at the grocery store because COVID.

I cannot wait for flour to be shipped to my house.

The only flours I have are all-purpose and whole wheat flour.

What do I do?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Hi.

I have barm.

It is the barm from The Bread Baker’s Apprentice that you use to make the New York Deli Rye.

I need to refresh my barm.

The barm recipe says I have to refresh my barm with unbleached high gluten or bread flour.

I am out of both unbleached high gluten and bread flour.

I cannot find unbleached high gluten or bread flour at the grocery store because COVID.

I cannot wait for flour to be shipped to my house.

The only flours I have are all-purpose and whole wheat flour.

What do I do?

The difference between bread flour and AP flour is not so great as to make a big difference in your starter, so personally I wouldn't worry about it.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

effika posted:

Keep anywhere from 30g-300g of starter depending on how much you like baking with discard. Don't like baking with discard? Keep a smaller amount. (I have a recipe I like that takes 160g of discard, so I tend to keep enough starter on-hand to make that every weekend.)

If you need more starter, just build up to it in the feedings leading up to bake day. I find my sourdough starter works best with 2-3 days of room temp feedings prior to using it as the only leavening agent, and in that time I just increase the quantities I am feeding until I have enough for the recipe.

And yep, just halve/multiply as needed to get the number of loaves you want. If you get into recipes with baker's percentages (or bother to calculate it on your own) you can make any size and quantity of loaves you want with a little bit of math!

So I read this, and I'm curious as to what you all do and for what reason.

My usual routine at this point for baking 1-2 (irregularly) times a week is keep a small starter which I take out of the fridge and feed once before baking (like, 25 grams of starter to 50 of wheat/rye mix for the mom yeast, 100 for the levain). So far it's tripling at around 4-5 hours and peaking, then I use it after that. I. The fridge it's doubling usually before I feed and replace it.

Is this wrong? Do I need to feed it in room temp a few times? Should it rest at room temp before going back in the fridge? Am I hurting it :ohdear:?

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

I'm still figuring out the optimal amount of starter to keep as I'm aiming to never have to discard any starter while not having making discard recipes all the time. Levain is just ripe starter anyway, so I treat them as the same unless I'm making something that needs to be less sour like enriched doughs in which case I will make a levain (as this dictates what sort of flour is going into your final product). What I do is calculate how much to feed based on what amount of levain a recipe calls for. I regularly bake one 900g batard which requires about 120g of levain, so I'd feed 30g rye/30g bread flour/60g water with whatever starter I have left after using it in my last bake, which is usually a tiny smear. This takes about 2-3 days to ripen on the counter, which is how long it takes for the bread to get eaten, so it works out perfectly for me. I guess if I wanted to extend that time between bakes the starter could live in the fridge. This isn't what most sourdough guidance tells you to do, but it works for me.

Nice piece of fish posted:

So I read this, and I'm curious as to what you all do and for what reason.

My usual routine at this point for baking 1-2 (irregularly) times a week is keep a small starter which I take out of the fridge and feed once before baking (like, 25 grams of starter to 50 of wheat/rye mix for the mom yeast, 100 for the levain). So far it's tripling at around 4-5 hours and peaking, then I use it after that. I. The fridge it's doubling usually before I feed and replace it.

Is this wrong? Do I need to feed it in room temp a few times? Should it rest at room temp before going back in the fridge? Am I hurting it :ohdear:?

If you feed at room temp before using your starter will get back to its full strength and get ripe faster, but I find this step unnecessary. Starters are pretty resilient once they get going, so short of baking it in the oven your starter is practically immortal. I think whatever schedule works for you is the correct one, there's no real rules to follow other than feeding and making sure your starter is ripe before using. Of course there is a difference between baking with discard that isn't at optimal ripeness compared with a perfectly ripe levain, but it's not pronounced enough for me to think it's worth bothering with.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
My starter doesn't seem to rise any more, and smells pretty bad. Only a handful of bubbles too,bwhat could have gone wrong? I'll do a 1/1/1 feeding and try to monitor over the day.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

My starter doesn't seem to rise any more, and smells pretty bad. Only a handful of bubbles too,bwhat could have gone wrong? I'll do a 1/1/1 feeding and try to monitor over the day.

What kind of smell is it? You can always get infected with rogue microbes.

In re starter feeding chat - you can kind of do whatever you want. If you want a long, slow rise, you can often just dump some unfed starter in your recipe and go to town. If you want something faster, that's when you do a series of feedings, because you're actually selecting for the population of yeasts that can grow the fastest. The only time you can 'harm' a starter is if you start to feed it so often that you're diluting it and rising the pH (that is, making it 'not sour'), making it more vulnerable to infection by spoilage microbes.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mediaphage posted:

What kind of smell is it? You can always get infected with rogue microbes.

In re starter feeding chat - you can kind of do whatever you want. If you want a long, slow rise, you can often just dump some unfed starter in your recipe and go to town. If you want something faster, that's when you do a series of feedings, because you're actually selecting for the population of yeasts that can grow the fastest. The only time you can 'harm' a starter is if you start to feed it so often that you're diluting it and rising the pH (that is, making it 'not sour'), making it more vulnerable to infection by spoilage microbes.

Thanks, how often is too often? I figure I pretty much need to leave it alone until it's doubled in the fridge and maybe peaked before feeding, so I never feed until I'm sure it has had some time... like I never feed on the up slope of the bell curve if that makes sense.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Thanks, how often is too often? I figure I pretty much need to leave it alone until it's doubled in the fridge and maybe peaked before feeding, so I never feed until I'm sure it has had some time... like I never feed on the up slope of the bell curve if that makes sense.

That's generally the way to go! Sometimes you'll do a series of quick feedings if you want to speed up the leavening or reduce the bacteria, etc. A lot of blogs try to tell you to do 2 - 3 feedings a day and it blows my mind because it's pretty wasteful even if you're using small amounts.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mediaphage posted:

That's generally the way to go! Sometimes you'll do a series of quick feedings if you want to speed up the leavening or reduce the bacteria, etc. A lot of blogs try to tell you to do 2 - 3 feedings a day and it blows my mind because it's pretty wasteful even if you're using small amounts.

Yeah, I need neither. In fact, I still kind of would like more bacteria because while the bread I'm making right now is loving the best bread I've tasted outside of gourmet restaurants, it's still not quite sour enough to be completely perfect to my taste. I'm even leaving it to cold ferment for like extra time too, about as much as I dare before it's overproofed. It comes out of proofing huge and I've had to order up a combo cooker because the cast iron pot I've been using is just too small and scrunches it. That'll probably also allow me to score it a little, which should help with the crust.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Spent a lot of time during lockdown so far rearing my own sourdough and trying a whole bunch of recipes and combos. Finally getting to a pretty sweet point!

Fresh from the oven:

Crumb shot:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Man, you guys' lame work is next level. (The knife lame, not the pejorative lame.)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Yeah, I need neither. In fact, I still kind of would like more bacteria because while the bread I'm making right now is loving the best bread I've tasted outside of gourmet restaurants, it's still not quite sour enough to be completely perfect to my taste. I'm even leaving it to cold ferment for like extra time too, about as much as I dare before it's overproofed. It comes out of proofing huge and I've had to order up a combo cooker because the cast iron pot I've been using is just too small and scrunches it. That'll probably also allow me to score it a little, which should help with the crust.

Do you keep your starter in the fridge, too?

Also, if you aren't intolerant, you can add the water from yogurt, etc., to your dough since it's basically what the bacteria in your sourdough are making (well, they also make some acetic acid).

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

mediaphage posted:

Do you keep your starter in the fridge, too?

Also, if you aren't intolerant, you can add the water from yogurt, etc., to your dough since it's basically what the bacteria in your sourdough are making (well, they also make some acetic acid).

I do, that was kind of why I was asking. I usually let it sit for like 5-7 days between when I take it out and feed or feed and make a levain, and it usually doubles in the fridge between feedings but I'm still worried about if I ought to leave it longer (so it gets to be overripe and well developed) or if it's "okay" to just go by the doubling of the volume. The levain I make from the "discard" of half my refridgerated starter and let rise in room temp, that one usually triples in 4-5 hours and I use it all in baking so I don't have any discard usually. I would, but I've been baking every week so far because the bread is just so. damned. good.

But I really need to find a way to make the bread last longer, because I'm lucky if it's not gone by the next day. It just instantly becomes lunch, maybe a dinner accessory, a snack later on, then it gets made into packed lunches for the next day and oops! All gone.

I'm not lactose intolerant (but I'm hella lack toast intolerant), so I guess I might try that. Thanks!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I do, that was kind of why I was asking. I usually let it sit for like 5-7 days between when I take it out and feed or feed and make a levain, and it usually doubles in the fridge between feedings but I'm still worried about if I ought to leave it longer (so it gets to be overripe and well developed) or if it's "okay" to just go by the doubling of the volume. The levain I make from the "discard" of half my refridgerated starter and let rise in room temp, that one usually triples in 4-5 hours and I use it all in baking so I don't have any discard usually. I would, but I've been baking every week so far because the bread is just so. damned. good.

But I really need to find a way to make the bread last longer, because I'm lucky if it's not gone by the next day. It just instantly becomes lunch, maybe a dinner accessory, a snack later on, then it gets made into packed lunches for the next day and oops! All gone.

I'm not lactose intolerant (but I'm hella lack toast intolerant), so I guess I might try that. Thanks!

Haha that’s not the worst problem to have! Bread so good.

Yeah when people have a hard time getting a starter going, I often recommend spiking it with commercial yeast and yogurt juice. That’s basically what you’re going after anyway and there’s very little that’s special about the majority of wild starters that’s going to do anything different.

What’s nice about that is that you have a starter / source of yeast that’s useable within a couple of hours and is much more resistant to spoilage in the early days.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I made that Irish soda bread I’d been talking about. Thank for those who suggested recipes. I picked and chose pieces from a couple of them, and produced this:

My dutch oven is really too big for making bread, so the dough spread out a lot. Despite the appearance, it did rise, but it started really flat as it settled into the bottom of the dutch oven.

I have to say, I consider this to be a improvement over most of the soda breads I’ve made. It’s actually quite good. Either this one is better, or my tastes and expectations have changed. If you want to see what I made to go with this bread, check out the link below which does not actually currently exist, but will as soon as I come back here to edit it in.

Edit: Here it is.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I ordered 25lbs (5x5lb) of flour on amazon. they sent me 4x2lb bags in some sort of mistaken shipment so I complained. I get a notification to keep the flour and expect a fresh delivery to replace what I originally ordered. They dropped off a 50lb bag today. what the gently caress this is so much flour

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Time posted:

I ordered 25lbs (5x5lb) of flour on amazon. they sent me 4x2lb bags in some sort of mistaken shipment so I complained. I get a notification to keep the flour and expect a fresh delivery to replace what I originally ordered. They dropped off a 50lb bag today. what the gently caress this is so much flour

Sup, my flour endowed dude

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Do I need to buy tubs or something for storage? maybe an oil barrel? loving amazon

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Time posted:

Do I need to buy tubs or something for storage? maybe an oil barrel? loving amazon

I got the misses to try and find some large food safe plastic tubs with lids. Large mason jars are cool. If you can reuse old flour bags that's cheaper.

Real cheapo approach is a funnel into rinsed+dry coke bottles... :)

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Time posted:

50 pounds fits neatly in two 5-gallon buckets with a bit of room to spare. Buy two buckets, one regular gasket lid and one screw on. Put the screw lid bucket in your kitchen for easy access and the gasket bucket in your garage or basement or whatever. When it's time swap either the lids or the contents of the buckets.

It works great.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Happiness Commando posted:

50 pounds fits neatly in two 5-gallon buckets with a bit of room to spare. Buy two buckets, one regular gasket lid and one screw on. Put the screw lid bucket in your kitchen for easy access and the gasket bucket in your garage or basement or whatever. When it's time swap either the lids or the contents of the buckets.

It works great.

thank you!

Jamsta posted:

I got the misses to try and find some large food safe plastic tubs with lids. Large mason jars are cool. If you can reuse old flour bags that's cheaper.

Real cheapo approach is a funnel into rinsed+dry coke bottles... :)

Thank you as well!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I made that Irish soda bread I’d been talking about. Thank for those who suggested recipes. I picked and chose pieces from a couple of them, and produced this:

My dutch oven is really too big for making bread, so the dough spread out a lot. Despite the appearance, it did rise, but it started really flat as it settled into the bottom of the dutch oven.

I have to say, I consider this to be a improvement over most of the soda breads I’ve made. It’s actually quite good. Either this one is better, or my tastes and expectations have changed. If you want to see what I made to go with this bread, check out the link below which does not actually currently exist, but will as soon as I come back here to edit it in.

Edit: Here it is.

That looks awesome. I'd eat all that. I typically bake soda bread in loaf pans so I can toast it later, which is really satisfying. It might help you with staying high but it doesn't really look like an issue because the texture looks nice.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

mediaphage posted:

That looks awesome. I'd eat all that. I typically bake soda bread in loaf pans so I can toast it later, which is really satisfying. It might help you with staying high but it doesn't really look like an issue because the texture looks nice.

Thank you! I just had another slice, with some more of my cultured butter, and it’s actually really good. It is surprisingly soft and moist, with a very nice crust. I’ve got it in a two-gallon ziplock, so we’ll see how it keeps overnight.

I considered using a loaf pan, but I’ve always done Irish soda bread in dutch ovens. That’s part of the charm for me. I may buy a smaller dutch oven for breads, if I start making them more regularly.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

I normally bake 2 loaves using the Serious Eats recipe from 1kg flour in my dutch oven. I have a bigger dutch oven that would comfortably hold 1kg of dough I think, could I just cook one big loaf in there? How should i alter my cooking times? Would it affect the texture and flavour of the bread? I imagine shaping will be a lot more difficult.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

mediaphage posted:

The difference between bread flour and AP flour is not so great as to make a big difference in your starter, so personally I wouldn't worry about it.

I went ahead and refreshed it with the AP flour.

... until I ran out, at which point I switched to the whole wheat flour to make up the rest. I used A LOT more whole wheat flour than AP though, like there’s almost no AP compared to the amount of whole wheat that’s in there. I’m hoping that’ll be okay.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
I love how busy this thread has been lately, love seeing all the bread, nice work everyone!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
It’s been a while since I overproofed some bread, but here we are. I added some extra levain to a bulk ferment because my kitchen was hanging out at 65f and then when I woke up in the morning my kitchen was 74f. Oops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I went ahead and refreshed it with the AP flour.

... until I ran out, at which point I switched to the whole wheat flour to make up the rest. I used A LOT more whole wheat flour than AP though, like there’s almost no AP compared to the amount of whole wheat that’s in there. I’m hoping that’ll be okay.

It is absolutely fine. If you don't bake often I recommend keeping it in the fridge because (in my experience) whole wheat flour cultures can spoil pretty easily.