Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

Also corn and rice. I mean I'm down for innovation. I guess that I sometimes get miffed that every new trend is just another IPA, which means I need to make IPA in order to have a viable business sorta. It could be worse but I'm just not a fan of NE style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

on the one hand i find beer bros extolling the virtues of high ibu swampwater to be terrible, but on the other hand the fact that they exist means i can get weirdo stouts easier so it kinda works out.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Escape From Noise

Life ain't easy for a saison orb

Heather Papps

hello friend

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Life ain't easy for a saison orb

wait a few months and the saison will turn!

take the moon

by sebmojo
what even is an I P A

I Post Awesomely lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Escape From Noise

I Pee Aye

Pahilla the Hun

Thinking about making a post

Think about it, make a post

seriously everything around here is IPA you have to hunt for milk stouts, lagers, pilsners and i do enjoy a saison or 6 when the weather is nice thank you

thanks nesamdoom!!

pizzaz plarpin perfect! thanks Tebulot!

nut

i drank a beer yesterday and the day befor

nut

one was a oatmeal stout the other was a session ale which i guess u are supposed to drink while recording music

Pahilla the Hun

nut posted:

i drank a beer yesterday and the day befor

yeah yeah but what about this day: today

thanks nesamdoom!!

nut

Pahilla the Hun posted:

yeah yeah but what about this day: today

soon i will drink a beer when? i'll never tell u'll just have to find out

Escape From Noise

I got the best beer today (free beer) shipped to me from a Brewer I know in Shikoku. He wants my opinions. I had one today.

alnilam

Saisons are awesome. The local OG microbrewery makes a chamomile saison that is amazing

Goons Are Gifts

SWR I know the basics of how beer is brewed because we had it in school (obviously), but I have no idea what the difference between the beers is. In Germany we basically only differentiate between Pils/Pilsner and Everything Else, which is, as far as I know, mostly about the type of yeast used and whether or not it swims or sinks down, plus the temperature it's been made at. So based on this absolutely non-knowledge, what the hell is an IPA?

nut

say i had a beer should i post a picture of the beer

Escape From Noise

They're fun to brew because there's a lot of flexibility. Upright Brewing in Portland makes fantastic saisons. Also fantastic everything else

Goons Are Gifts

nut posted:

say i had a beer should i post a picture of the beer

Yes and also buy the beer an account

Goons Are Gifts

Actually admin orders just came in, ask al we just got told in the mod forum:
every user has to post their current beverage if they have one and if they want to

ESPECIALLY LURKERS!!!!

sorry I don't make the rules

alnilam

Ale vs Lager is the chief taxonomic distinction in beer, and yeah lager is fermented cooler (in storage, lager, get it) with diff yeast, ales at room temp with diff yeast.

Beers are brewed with barley roasted in different ways to give different flavors, and brewed with hops that add a bitter flavor, slight psychoactive effects, and also are mildly bacteriocidal and promote yeast

IPA is a strong (high-alcohol) ALE with lots of HOPS, also the roast of barley is PALE which imparts a certain character and color

ChubbyChecker

Goons Are Great posted:

Yes and also buy the beer an account

Pahilla the Hun

Goons Are Great posted:

what the hell is an IPA?

India Pale Ale which tend to be super hoppy tasting. I believe the added hops were originally so the beer could withstand a long ocean voyage, but this is no longer necessary. IMO it's too hoppy but I guess it's easier to make and people like that flavor? They have, like, Double and Triple IPAs here it's really reached critical mass.

thanks nesamdoom!!

Escape From Noise

alnilam posted:

Ale vs Lager is the chief taxonomic distinction in beer, and yeah lager is fermented cooler (in storage, lager, get it) with diff yeast, ales at room temp with diff yeast.

Beers are brewed with barley roasted in different ways to give different flavors, and brewed with hops that add a bitter flavor, slight psychoactive effects, and also are mildly bacteriocidal and promote yeast

IPA is a strong (high-alcohol) ALE with lots of HOPS, also the roast of barley is PALE which imparts a certain character and color

But then you get weird ones like kolsch, altbier, and California common! What the heck???

Also I still find it interesting that there are so many ale yeast strains but only one lager strain.

alnilam

I do like IPAs but i agree that a lot of breweries have become too IPA focused at the expense of other fun things like stouts, porters, saisons, belgian style ales, etc etc that i used to see more of

But i still like them

nut

Escape From Noise

Quality dog photo bomb.

ChubbyChecker

Escape From Noise

I also bought Dungeon Keeper 2 for five bucks. I'm really awful at video games and all but I always enjoyed that one a lot for some reason.

Goons Are Gifts

Quality dog photo bomb.

lmao

Goons Are Gifts

But then you get weird ones like kolsch, altbier, and California common! What the heck???

Also I still find it interesting that there are so many ale yeast strains but only one lager strain.

From the description I assumed Kölsch would count as an Ale then, but it apparently isn't?

biosterous

my most recent beer run was ordering one of everything that godspeed brewery had in stock. they had basically all their beers except for a nice looking porter and missing out on that made me a little sad! now they're sold out of so many flavours they aren't even listing half of them so i guess i got in on them at a good time!

i will often get beers from high park brewery - they are very close to me and i like their ale and lager and they pay their workers well :yayclod:

ipas are fine and i'll happily drink one but i would probably rather have a porter or a stout or a saison or an ale or a lager! i'm glad that the craft beer scene in toronto is no longer "it's just ipas, there is no other kind of beer"

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Goons Are Gifts

Beer is a magical science

nut

biosterous posted:

my most recent beer run was ordering one of everything that godspeed brewery had in stock. they had basically all their beers except for a nice looking porter and missing out on that made me a little sad! now they're sold out of so many flavours they aren't even listing half of them so i guess i got in on them at a good time!

i will often get beers from high park brewery - they are very close to me and i like their ale and lager and they pay their workers well :yayclod:

ipas are fine and i'll happily drink one but i would probably rather have a porter or a stout or a saison or an ale or a lager! i'm glad that the craft beer scene in toronto is no longer "it's just ipas, there is no other kind of beer"

get blood brothers 2 deliver they just got more blood lite in stock an dyes it does own and is canned to look like goth bud lite

nut

and unless ur a big h8r on milkshake ipas, get bandit brewery stuff 2 i dunno if they r delivering

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I like most beers but I don't really like IPAs and especially the super hoppy ones. I really like most plain boring but good german beer like becks, pilsner-urquell etc. and also british beers like newcastle and bass. Bass might be my favorite mass market beer because it is very well balanced between maltyness and hoppiness imo. modelo especial is also real nice and is like german beer but not.

Also i drink alot of miller light so take all that with an appropriately sized grain of salt, but sometimes you just want a beer you can drink all day with getting trashed!

However currently I am drinking :11tea: because I have to go back to work.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Heather Papps

hello friend

this thread is making me thirsty.

for beer.

Escape From Noise

biosterous posted:

Godspeed did a collaboration saison with a big brewery here in Osaka called Minoh. I went to a pub to get it but they'd already sold out!

biosterous

nut posted:

get blood brothers 2 deliver they just got more blood lite in stock an dyes it does own and is canned to look like goth bud lite

lol

it will take me a while to work through the beer i currently have but i will keep them in mind! https://obdi.ca/ has been very helpful lately

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

nut

biosterous posted:

lol

it will take me a while to work through the beer i currently have but i will keep them in mind! https://obdi.ca/ has been very helpful lately

blood brothers is prob what I miss most having left to

wearing a lampshade

Re: doctor who quotes.

Starting at the revival. We found an "essential episodes" guide because the few we watched at first were godawful. It's a really uneven show so far, even the "essential" episodes can have some really painful segments. Were on the first David Tennant season now and he's good in it, we watched midnight ahead of it and we liked that. We also watched the school episode with Anthony Stewart Head (yay) and the robot dog (boo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

I think someone here posted this a long time ago, anyway here's cookie monster tom waits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5X4N2exOsU

ty manifisto