Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Adding goddamnedtwisto to wall.xls for failing to poison Boris Johnson.

e: All-time classic snipe. Liz Truss has the text of Section 28 framed above her mantelpiece.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
For what it's worth, it looks like the data came from this Eurobarometer survey and the question was

"I would like to ask you a question about how much trust you have in certain media
and institutions. For each of the following media and institutions, please tell me if
you tend to trust it or tend not to trust it"

e: google says boris is 1.75 m which is 5'7.5" but it also says trump is 1.9 m which is 6'2'' and now I don't know whether I can trust the internet anymore

e2: I think it's 5.75' actually, for some reason Google has not implemented feet and inches and now I definitely don't trust the internet

XMNN fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 6, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I always assumed Boris was tall. He seems more oaf than weasel idk.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

Adding goddamnedtwisto to wall.xls for failing to poison Boris Johnson.

e: All-time classic snipe. Liz Truss has the text of Section 28 framed above her mantelpiece.

I was a porter, poisoning him would have been complex. I *could* have run him over with the cleaning trolley I suppose.

Funny thing though, he was about the only person working (in a suit) there who I wouldn't have happily murdered. He was the only one of the senior editorial staff to regularly eat in the normal staff canteen rather than the executive dining room on the 11th floor, and he knew the names of every single one of the staff in that canteen and chatted happily with all of them, a stark contrast with most of the journos who were at best indifferent but mostly loving arseholes to anyone they considered "below" them. Anyone baffled how he got where he was in life (and how he's got the love life of a character from a French farce), that's the missing piece (obviously sitting on top of a massive pile of privilege) - the dude is charming as hell IRL (as are most career politicians near the top - ultimately that's the only actual skill you need).

That's the only reason I knew who he was before HIGNFY et. al. made him BORIS LEGERND - he was literally the only non-service staff member there to actually introduce himself to me in the couple of months I worked there., on like my second or third day. I know it's all an act, but gently caress me it's a really convincing one, and I can see why people fall for it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

e2: I think it's 5.75' actually
Five foot nine? I didn't know they stacked poo poo that high.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

XMNN posted:

to be fair, the UK is near the bottom on all of the charts in the report so we're generally fairly distrustful, but that is still the highest distrust score for all sources listed and by far the worst for traditional media

44% trust and 43% distrust radio
37% trust and 55% distrust TV
19% trust and 67% distrust "the internet"
11% trust and 72% distrust social media

you have to sign up to the ebu to download the report for some reason
https://www.ebu.ch/publications/research/login_only/report/trust-in-media

do I get to be a eurovision judge now?

I trust some social media sources & don't trust others. I trust some websites more than others. It seems too broad.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is he bollocks

Yes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

I trust some social media sources & don't trust others. I trust some websites more than others. It seems too broad.
Yeah it's as worthless as asking "Do you trust books?"

There's a lot of great books, then there's the sort of books that Michael Gove buys.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

weirdly it looks like the number of tests being carried out is not 100,000 per day, dunno if they were like manipulating the numbers somehow or something over the weekend???

although I suppose it is no longer the end of april, so it doesn't count towards the target

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Just went for a walk and thought I'd start counting people I saw, gave up at 20 before I was 5 minutes away from my house.

Lockdown's over lads! Get cans in! Waaaaaay

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's the only reason I knew who he was before HIGNFY et. al. made him BORIS LEGERND - he was literally the only non-service staff member there to actually introduce himself to me in the couple of months I worked there., on like my second or third day. I know it's all an act, but gently caress me it's a really convincing one, and I can see why people fall for it.

eee you kept that quiet ey. I do like hearing stories about public figures though, they seem to have this certain charisma that gets to people. I've met Andy Burnham and a few other MPs and most had it. Weird.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

XMNN posted:

weirdly it looks like the number of tests being carried out is not 100,000 per day, dunno if they were like manipulating the numbers somehow or something over the weekend???

although I suppose it is no longer the end of april, so it doesn't count towards the target

And now Boris has said 200,000 by the end of May, so it's guaranteed they're going to stuff an extra 150,000 tests in envelopes on May 31st to hit the target on that one day, call the job a good 'un and have the media praise them for hitting the target yet again.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
lol we're gonna have 40,000 dead before the end of summer aint we

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Today traffic was basically back to normal. Lines at the lights, twats pulling out and all.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

mrpwase posted:

Even if you listen to Radio 6 exclusively you still have to hear his voice, thanks to Mr Shaun Keaveny.

Cats operating in gangs?

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

communism bitch posted:

With care homes and the community, we blew through that at the weekend.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

frankenbeans posted:

Cats operating in gangs?

Let's rock this thing!

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

The papers really are not really printed for you, they’re either open letters to the ruling elite or astroturfing public sentiment

Even If the sun lost money I doubt Murdoch would shut it down

Yeah this is the reason peoples' trust of the papers doesn't matter. The papers set the TV news agenda. Even when circulation is down to 6 figures for all papers*, even when they're loss making machines, they'll still be bought up and used as a means of controllling discourse.

*legitimately you could argue twitter trends are more representative of the issues people are talking about than what's on the front page of a broadsheet.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

communism bitch posted:

Probably more so in all honesty. And's that by using the government's already super massaged numbers - various things suggest the actual number could already be above 50k :/

And the narratives are already being spun towards pointing the finger anywhere but at the government, and trying to justify why it's worth the risk of peoples lives to make MONEY NUMBER MUST GO UP and any who think otherwise are feckless traitor scroungers who are talking down Britian and bringing politics into things when the government has done a really good job despite the hardship (the usual loving bollocks the ignorant or compliant spout).

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Got my coronavirus test today- delivered by Amazon which I wasn't expecting

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Marmaduke! posted:

And now Boris has said 200,000 by the end of May, so it's guaranteed they're going to stuff an extra 150,000 tests in envelopes on May 31st to hit the target on that one day, call the job a good 'un and have the media praise them for hitting the target yet again.

looks like the 31st is a sunday, so this plan might not work so well

Pesky Splinter posted:

Probably more so in all honesty. And's that by using the government's already super massaged numbers - various things suggest the actual number could already be above 50k :/

And the narratives are already being spun towards pointing the finger anywhere but at the government, and trying to justify why it's worth the risk of peoples lives to make MONEY NUMBER MUST GO UP and any who think otherwise are feckless traitor scroungers who are talking down Britian and bringing politics into things when the government has done a really good job despite the hardship (the usual loving bollocks the ignorant or compliant spout).

I've already seen people start to push the inevitable "hindsight is 20/20" narrative/gas lighting, like anyone who was paying even the slightest bit of attention wasn't concerned about this weeks before the government chose to act.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

justcola posted:

eee you kept that quiet ey. I do like hearing stories about public figures though, they seem to have this certain charisma that gets to people. I've met Andy Burnham and a few other MPs and most had it. Weird.

I've mentioned it quite a lot over the years, mostly as an answer to the obvious "How the hell does he keep getting bigger jobs?" question . It's about the most interesting of my (small, but eclectic) store of celebrity stories that I'd be willing to commit somewhere that libel laws could conceivably apply.

If you want another PM story, a friend of a friend worked at Lambeth Council in the housing department when John Major was a councilor there in the 70s, and they'd worked together on a couple of things - maybe only a couple of weeks total spread out over a couple of years. When he did that cringeworthy documentary where he went back to Brixton, he happened to run into her off-camera and not only remembered her name but also a conversation they'd had about her family almost 30 years before. Like I say it's a skill you find in almost all successful politicians, because ultimately appealing to people is the only way they can progress. Michael Gove, for all his skinsuit qualities, is also apparently actually quite likeable in real life - I struggle to believe it too, but people who've worked with him say that he's actually very easy to get along with.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sloth Life posted:

Today traffic was basically back to normal. Lines at the lights, twats pulling out and all.

Weird because I was in the City of London this morning and it was quieter than Sunday, apart from around Liverpool Street, and the A13 was quieter than I've seen it since lockdown began.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

communism bitch posted:

We've passed 50k already.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

communism bitch posted:

Based on the current average death rate, we'll be over 40,000 in 17 days, according to the official statistics. As others have said, we probably blew through 40k a week ago in reality.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

XMNN posted:

looks like the 31st is a sunday, so this plan might not work so well

Even better - they can spend Friday and Saturday stuffing envelopes too and it all counts. And if it doesn't, then everyone an shut up because of course they wouldn't manage it on a Sunday, duh, stupid lefties!!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

XMNN posted:

I've already seen people start to push the inevitable "hindsight is 20/20" narrative/gas lighting, like anyone who was paying even the slightest bit of attention wasn't concerned about this weeks before the government chose to act.

Well yeah, they've already been doing that for weeks trying to bury the fact that they've known about this since at least January, (with warnings of lack of PPE from NHS and dry-runs of pandemic protocols known for at least 2 years before that).

Hell, even when it started appearing on the news and the general public was gaining awareness of it, anyone who gave a gently caress, and wasn't a skull-measuring brain genius could see that it would spread to here, and that was in late February/early March? Just doing their usual complacent, "We don't give a gently caress; it'll probably only affect the poors, just as long as they don't die in too great numbers to stop the money machine."

And that's without the later revelations that have emerged since with the "Herd Immunity" poo poo, and the government having to bow to public pressure over actually shutting poo poo, and their desperate eagerness to reopen businesses, despite the cost in human lives. And that includes the deaths that result for whatever they brand Austerity 2: Electric Boogaloo as.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 6, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Guavanaut posted:

Media and epistemology is something that we should definitely talk more about as a society. This pandemic especially has brought out a lot of complete hogwash being uncritically shared.

Calling Brexit "this" pandemic in 2020 is a bit unclear.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

endlessmonotony posted:

Calling Brexit "this" pandemic in 2020 is a bit unclear.

Keep forgetting Brexit is "happening" later this year. :lol:

That's going to be a fun clusterfuck is they still insist on not moving the date, if the world is still in various waves of pandemic.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

communism bitch posted:

Before this is done with, between actual covid deaths and those caused by the crisis you can probably stick a zero on the end

Lots of folk out today around lunch when I went to work, gently caress all coming back around 5 though, literally half the commute time.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Saw loads of people outside today, which is good because i think it might be positive for the lockdown to last as long as possible in order to crumble our sick society

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

communism bitch posted:

We're already well past there, chief.

https://twitter.com/chrisgiles_/status/1258041783222747137?s=21

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Pesky Splinter posted:

That's going to be a fun clusterfuck is they still insist on not moving the date, if the world is still in various waves of pandemic.

I am enjoying the people keeping the duality in their head of "No, shut up, Brexit has already happened we're out, stop talking about it" vs looking forward to the end of the year when they actually get what they want.

Random old man yelling at cloud thing: what's up with these websites these days where you type in the first letter of your email address and it immediately pops up a large red text saying THAT IS NOT A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS. And then you tab to the next field and it yells at you again for the field being blank.

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
19:30 - 20:00
BBC1: Captain Tom: We Salute You
BBC2: Britain's Greatest Generation

Was the ONLY BRITAIN SOLDIERS ON propaganda from Children of Men a future BBC production?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pesky Splinter posted:

Another good reason to get the population used to accepting large numbers of preventable deaths every day

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pencils R Cool posted:

19:30 - 20:00
BBC1: Captain Tom: We Salute You
BBC2: Britain's Greatest Generation

Was the ONLY BRITAIN SOLDIERS ON propaganda from Children of Men a future BBC production?

TV is for the cognitive death throes of 50+

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/NicolaRBartlett/status/1258102549472849921?s=19

A Normal Country

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Literally (really) just came to post the exact same thing.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

The Mirror is so buried in ads that you can barely see it, but there's a quote from the care home claiming they've got plenty of PPE - however I don't think Nadia ever named them as having a shortage so its a bit bizarre to kick her out.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

:wow: that collapse between 2018 & 2019

What caused that i wonder?

E: it's actually slightly heartening to see this but why won't the papers die already :argh: this one graph is the only thing that needs to be posted in response to any of those twitter accounts crying "p-please buy our paper :qq:"

Probably already said, but definitely Brexit.
Year before it was 'Brexit so easy', then you had David Davis saying the UK had all the power in the negotiations, only for him to quit mid way.
June 2018 was when even some of the Gammons were realizing how they were lied into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Not So Fast posted:

The Mirror is so buried in ads that you can barely see it, but there's a quote from the care home claiming they've got plenty of PPE - however I don't think Nadia ever named them as having a shortage so its a bit bizarre to kick her out.

5 seconds of research would link her to the homes and obviously a lot of her anecdotes and comments from staff are going to be her coworkers. Presumably they're kicking her out before she sees something truly awful occurring.