Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Slugworth posted:

Sorry, I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but there's 1700 pages to go through - Aside from OtterBox, is there a brand that's well regarded for screen protectors? I've got a OnePlus 7T, and the official screen protector is 25 dollars, and all the other brands I see are like 6 dollars for a 3 pack, which feels... Suspiciously cheap. So what's the deal? Is the official one reasonably priced and the way to go, or are the cheap ones actually good quality and OnePlus is just ripping me off?

I don't have a a 7T, but for my Pixel 3 I have been happy with the Caseology brand screen protectors. They come with a guide that goes around the phone so you can't really mess up the alignment of it on your screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Pixel 4a is basically 99.9% leaked now.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/05/03/early-pixel-4a-photo-samples-pop-up-on-twitter/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuRdelWlZZM

Video's in Spanish but it doesn't matter as it's the photos people want to know about.

Front facing camera:
-Sony IMX355
-f/2 aperture
-EIS only
-Identical to the FFC on the Pixel 3

Rear Camera:
-Sony IMX363
-f/1.73 aperture
-OIS and EIS
-Identical to the rear camera on the Pixel 3, 3a, and 4

I guess, at this point, the 1% not leaked is any software things that inevitably gets ported back to the 4, 3a, and 3.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
It looks like Pixel 4's are $300 off right now which might make ''settling' for the budget 4a a little harder if you need a phone right now.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

PageMaster posted:

It looks like Pixel 4's are $300 off right now which might make ''settling' for the budget 4a a little harder if you need a phone right now.

Not in the UK. Not yet, anyway. Looks like I'm waiting for the 4a if it doesn't since the OP8 too much for my tastes. My OP3 battery is fuuuuuuucked.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

My OG Pixel XL's battery is starting to go, so between the 4a being imminent and the 4 being on discount I have no idea what the gently caress to do. Grab the 4 now, or wait for the 4a?

I'm perfectly happy with my current phone and wouldn't even consider replacing it if not for the battery, so I'm cool with sticking with the Pixel line. But looking around it seems the 4 has a less than stellar reputation.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

My OG Pixel XL's battery is starting to go, so between the 4a being imminent and the 4 being on discount I have no idea what the gently caress to do. Grab the 4 now, or wait for the 4a?

I'm perfectly happy with my current phone and wouldn't even consider replacing it if not for the battery, so I'm cool with sticking with the Pixel line. But looking around it seems the 4 has a less than stellar reputation.

I went from a P2XL toa P4XL and it's been great. The only issues people have had are with the forehead, the camera not having a wide-angle like every other camera and just being a telephoto + normal cam, not having a fingerprint sensor as well, and the battery not being the best on the smaller 4 due to Motion Sense and 90Hz display eating battery.

The forehead thing is subjective and the camera thing kind of is too in a way. Since I came from a bunch of phones WITHOUT a wide-angle, I'm not going to be mad that it's not in the 4 anyway and plus I love zooming in on things. The battery issue isn't a big deal but, if you don't find yourself using motion controls to turn off music or swipe to the next song, you can turn it completely off and get a ton of battery life back.

I'd say you'd be happy with either purchase but if you want a telephoto camera and fingerprint scanner, go for the 4XL. Also the 4a won't have a wide-angle camera either.

Not having a fingerprint scanner both sucks and doesn't, I guess? PayPal doesn't use it but neither does my actual bank app. But LastPass does and that helps. It's also nice to not have to touch the phone to turn it on.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 3, 2020

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Not having a fingerprint scanner both sucks and doesn't, I guess? PayPal doesn't use it but neither does my actual bank app. But LastPass does and that helps. It's also nice to not have to touch the phone to turn it on.

I've gotten so used to the fingerprint sensor on my Pixel that having to wear gloves a few times recently really showed me how much I rely on it. Don't think I could own a phone without one.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Does the Pixel 4 face unlock work if you're wearing a mask over your nose and mouth?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

smoobles posted:

Does the Pixel 4 face unlock work if you're wearing a mask over your nose and mouth?

Nope.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

smoobles posted:

No, but no face unlock does this and if you have a BT device on you like a Tile or smartwatch or earpods/headphones, you can do a smart unlock via that then you don't need to worry about face unlock.

Mine is connected to my Fossil Sport 4 smartwatch and it unlocks faster than with just Face Unlock to the point where while I CAN use Face Unlock, it doesn't matter since all I have to do is swipe up.

This just works with unlocking the phone and you'll have to use your PIN if you need to use like LastPass though.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Burden posted:

I don't have a a 7T, but for my Pixel 3 I have been happy with the Caseology brand screen protectors. They come with a guide that goes around the phone so you can't really mess up the alignment of it on your screen.
Cool, thanks. Good reviews, and a price point that doesn't seem like I'm being ripped off or like it's made of sugar glass.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How would face-unlock stop someone from just unlocking your phone by holding it up to your face or a picture of your face?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Khanstant posted:

How would face-unlock stop someone from just unlocking your phone by holding it up to your face or a picture of your face?

For the latter question, if it uses actual 3d modelling (ToF/IR sensor, etc,) you'd at least need to make a rough cast.
This is why Google disabled their old OS-level version that any phone with a front facing camera could use; no range sensing.

For the former, closing your eyes would prevent it from working. Do it enough times and it requires a pin/swipe to unlock.

Honestly, I can't decide if I should be surprised or not that you can't tell the Assistant to "lock the phone".

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 4, 2020

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
That is why I hate this trend of only having one biometric option. Adding a fancy new face unlock shouldn't mean getting rid of the fingerprint reader.

On my Note 9 I have the option to use face, iris, or my fingerprint to unlock the phone. So in most situations I always have a quick biometric option available. Of course, the latest Samsungs have a fancy new in screen reader so they got rid of the iris scanner in the name of progress.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

That is why I hate this trend of only having one biometric option. Adding a fancy new face unlock shouldn't mean getting rid of the fingerprint reader.

On my Note 9 I have the option to use face, iris, or my fingerprint to unlock the phone. So in most situations I always have a quick biometric option available. Of course, the latest Samsungs have a fancy new in screen reader so they got rid of the iris scanner in the name of progress.

I looked it up to see if iOS was different and it is. You can have Alternate Appearances on iOS with Face ID so you can have you in a mask or you without a mask.

So it is possible to have separate profiles for Face Unlock, it's just a question if Google actually does it.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/04/08/iphone-how-to-use-face-id-with-mask/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15765/120hz-on-the-oneplus-8-pro-qhd-resolution-but-still-power-hungry

Interesting observations. There seems to be a negligible difference in power draw between FHD+ and QHD+ regardless of refresh rate. The main power draw comes from freshing the panel itself, not how many pixels the SoC has to handle.

This means that Android really needs a true VRR system.

This bit is particularly interesting.

quote:

the Galaxy S20 series features a single MIPI lane to the DDIC, a bottleneck that is the reason for why the phone can’t do QHD at 120Hz. The OnePlus 8 Pro on the other hand does feature dual MIPI interfaces to the display panel and thus has the bandwidth necessary for driving the higher refresh rate at the highest resolution.

This strongly implies that the S20 line is physically incapable of doing QHD+ with 120hz.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

We got a possible look at a screenshot from the Pixel 4a from Rick Osterloh, Google's senior VP of devices and services.

https://twitter.com/rosterloh/status/1257356654443716608

Honestly, I think the display looks better with the screen off because I don't like how the FFC hole punch pushes everything off to the right. Really wish it was in the middle.

Granted, I have the P4XL now and I love it and all but it's still disappointing to see.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 6, 2020

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
So I have a Pixel 2 XL that I've had since launch and it's starting to get long in the tooth and showing its age. Should I go ahead and bite the bullet on a OP8P or wait till October and see if the Pixel 5 XL can stack up? The OP8P looks really tempting and pretty much checks all the boxes on what I want in a phone (great battery life, fast performance, nice display, 5G capable, water resistance, fast charging, solid camera, as close to stock Android OS as you can get for a non-Pixel phone).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you have/want to spend a grand on an Android device, I currently don't think there's any better option than the OP8P. It pretty much ticks every single box right now and the only nit I can pick about mine at the moment is curved screen edges.

Granted, I've been out of my own wifi coverage with it exactly once since I got it. So, maybe there's some uncovered flaw that I'm not seeing right now since I'm not going anywhere. It certainly feels like a more polished device than the OP7P and that was already very very solid last year.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Zonekeeper posted:

This is exactly the situation Im in. Perfectly happy with my OG Pixel XL other than the battery is dying and charging is getting pretty slow. Do we know if the 4a will have a fingerprint sensor? That would make a big difference for me, very used to it on my pixel and I keep hearing bad things about face recognition unlock

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
99% sure it will, but too lazy to find a link to support that.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
All the design render 'leaks' have a fingerprint sensor on the back. Who knows if they're legit.

Gonna be a tough choice for me. I can get £170 off the OP8 after trading in an iPhone 8 until May 21st, bringing it down to £430 - out of stock at the moment though, but need to see the specs and prices on the 4a first. It's almost certainly not going to have a 90hz screen but if it's like £300-350 it's gonna tempt me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Personally, unless you are in a country where it's super cheap like India, i would steer clear of the OP8 vs the Pro. The clearly priced it and removed features to make the Pro a better value proposition and you are almost certainly better off buying the 7t instead.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
As you mentioned, global pricing varies. It's wild to me that in India, the Oneplus 8 is cheaper than an iPhone SE, while here the OP8 costs almost 2x and iphone SE.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Personally, unless you are in a country where it's super cheap like India, i would steer clear of the OP8 vs the Pro. The clearly priced it and removed features to make the Pro a better value proposition and you are almost certainly better off buying the 7t instead.

Yep the 7T is a great value choice now. I would buy that over the 8 if I was in the market.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the normal 8 is only an upgrade over the 7T in the SoC department. The total camera system is better on the 7T (and the main sensor is the same). Otherwise the specs are similar, but the 7T is much cheaper.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
drat, it's on offer too so my trade in would put it at £300. Gonna be a pain trying to send that in right now though and need to find a case too. Wish they had a timer on the offer so I could wait and see how the 4a compares but I'm doubting it's going to be as good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The 4a's camera will be better, but the OP8 will be better in pretty much every other way.

If you can get a good deal on the OP8 it's a decent phone, but the main camera sensor just isn't large enough for the pixel count and the dynamic range suffers. I mean, it's the same deal for the 7T too, it's just that it's generally cheaper which makes it easier to overlook.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just discovered that my Google Home is registered to me, with my wife's email as an "other account". However, when I go into the new "Hey Google" sensitivity setting, I can't adjust anything because it says "Only the person with the primary account on this device is able to update this setting". What is going on and how can I convince the device that I am the person with the primary account?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

I just discovered that my Google Home is registered to me, with my wife's email as an "other account". However, when I go into the new "Hey Google" sensitivity setting, I can't adjust anything because it says "Only the person with the primary account on this device is able to update this setting". What is going on and how can I convince the device that I am the person with the primary account?

do you have multiple user profiles on your phone

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Any thoughts on the Moto G Power? My heart keeps telling me to grab a Pixel 3a XL or a Pixel 4 for the good camera and whimsical design, but my wallet loves the G Power's $250 price point. Oh, and the G Power's battery life sounds amazing. I'm buying this thing outright, plus I don't want to get a flagship phone and curse myself for losing/smashing/bricking it, so there's that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FAUXTON posted:

do you have multiple user profiles on your phone

Nope.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

But you aren't. They used to list the accounts in the order of primacy in the Linked Accounts screen but they don't anymore. They show your account at the top and they show the other linked accounts below without indicating which is the primary. The primary is the first user who set up the Home.

I have six and early on there was a bug that could only be solved by having households with multiple users and multiple Homes each having some as their primary. Like you couldn't have the same person be primary on all the Homes. So I know I have three that are my wife's and three which are mine and I cannot adjust the ones where my wife is the primary but all the accounts show me first and then her.

You can either have her change the sensitivity or redo the setup with you as the primary.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

But you aren't. They used to list the accounts in the order of primacy in the Linked Accounts screen but they don't anymore. They show your account at the top and they show the other linked accounts below without indicating which is the primary. The primary is the first user who set up the Home.

I have six and early on there was a bug that could only be solved by having households with multiple users and multiple Homes each having some as their primary. Like you couldn't have the same person be primary on all the Homes. So I know I have three that are my wife's and three which are mine and I cannot adjust the ones where my wife is the primary but all the accounts show me first and then her.

You can either have her change the sensitivity or redo the setup with you as the primary.

JFC Google. Ok, is there a correct/best way to redo the setup?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

90s Solo Cup posted:

Any thoughts on the Moto G Power? My heart keeps telling me to grab a Pixel 3a XL or a Pixel 4 for the good camera and whimsical design, but my wallet loves the G Power's $250 price point. Oh, and the G Power's battery life sounds amazing. I'm buying this thing outright, plus I don't want to get a flagship phone and curse myself for losing/smashing/bricking it, so there's that.

I think for my buck at that price point, I’d take the Nokia 6.2. Even the Moto G Stylus seems worth the extra $50, you’d get twice the local storage and a better CPU if I remember right.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

90s Solo Cup posted:

It's 2020, not 2017. No one should buy a Motorola device anymore.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Unless you need Verizon compatibility, I would seriously look at the Nokia options in the pricerange before the Moto these days.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

bull3964 posted:

The 4a's camera will be better, but the OP8 will be better in pretty much every other way.

If you can get a good deal on the OP8 it's a decent phone, but the main camera sensor just isn't large enough for the pixel count and the dynamic range suffers. I mean, it's the same deal for the 7T too, it's just that it's generally cheaper which makes it easier to overlook.

Went with the 7T for £300. It's cheaper than what I paid for my OP3 and I doubt the 4a is going to have anything that pulls me in. I'm not that bothered about cameras.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

JFC Google. Ok, is there a correct/best way to redo the setup?

Factory reset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently Google is going to merge the various messaging teams into one, but still doesn't plan to integrate all the various apps. :toot: