Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
0.8% more Americans would rather "Meet Joe Biden" than "Get torn apart by an angry Bigfoot" so this is clearly good news for Joe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Epic High Five posted:

Trump might not but the GOP will, and I wouldn't count Trump out. He's a whole lot better at firing up his base than any Dem in power at the moment is. It's not just the Dems that will be running on RBG's seat, and Trump's got a record of delivering in that regard that Biden can't boast. It's not a freak coincidence that he's insanely popular within his own party or that he keeps getting more votes than Biden does in these primaries despite him being uncontested

I think that peoples' opinion of the GOP in general is even worse than it is 4 years ago, if interim voting is any indication. They don't seem to be bouyed anywhere. They've lost 9 governorships since Trump was elected. The GOP relies heavily on swing voters and white suburbanites to come out for them, and exit polling in the last three years has shown those voters consistently shifting blue. The base does not seem to be the bulwark that it was 4 years ago.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Is there anything stopping Biden from saying Americans need X amount of money now to help get through the Pandemic? He doesn’t have the voting responsibility right now, so hammering something like that would at least push people to the guy saying they should get more money

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobjr posted:

Is there anything stopping Biden from saying Americans need X amount of money now to help get through the Pandemic? He doesn’t have the voting responsibility right now, so hammering something like that would at least push people to the guy saying they should get more money
He said it in his last debate with Bernie, when he was trying to suffocate the left in the crib by minimizing the differences between them, but obviously hasn't been saying it since. And no, nothing is stopping him, unless powerful forces are blackmailing him (which is... plausible, I guess). My guess is, he just really doesn't like the idea of giving people money, because he's an elderly white American person.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

bobjr posted:

Who is going to cover it?

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

bobjr posted:

Nothing really, except for maybe his handlers. Though I don't believe he would want to say that, anyways. Helping people isn't really his style.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

bobjr posted:

Nope. Bernie pretty much turned his campaign into a fundraiser for covid-19 charities in the last days. Biden could be doing similar stuff and using his current platform to agitate and show what he would do when he's president. Instead he's mostly using it to tell Trump to "Do something, man".

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TyrantWD posted:

Who is going to cover it?

*nods head* It's just like when I write a check. I have to sit there and balance my checkbook, and so does the government.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

yronic heroism posted:

No one may be answering because this is unclear. Are you using marriage equality as a hypothetical? Because the Supreme Court settled that question. Do you mean something else that goons may not be aware of when you’re using the term?
I mean I've explained this before, in this thread. If I get married I lose my healthcare. People on disability often lose that as well when they get married. This is what means testing does to disabled people. It means that, even if we can get disability or other assistance to begin with, we often can't get married. So how long do I have to wait for people to even be aware of the problem, much less actually have it addressed, before I can vote for someone who does give a gently caress?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
There is literally no way that Biden and his coterie of ghouls can do anything proactive to get his numbers up, on account of the necessity to hide Rapey Joe away because his brain is disintegrating, so their only hope is Trump sinking himself which is really loving bad since not even Trump absolutely bungling a pandemic response and causing tens of thousands of deaths has caused him to sink himself. So given that it's gonna be a steady decline for Biden and they have no way of reversing the trend it's game over already even if he's slightly up in the polls at the moment, hth.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Mellow Seas posted:

.. I’m not sure what the level of awareness is among the public about Tara Reade, but it’s clear a very large number of Democratic voters are willing to believe it’s a false accusation, because it supports their political preference to do so. As for his generally lovely politics, I’m not sure Trump’s political skill set is well-suited for getting that message out...

I disagree, Trump's skill is even more well suited to search-and-destroying Biden's endless capitulations to the market, than the way he attacked Hilary for NAFTA.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KVeezy3 posted:

I disagree, Trump's skill is even more well suited to search-and-destroying Biden's endless capitulations to the market, than the way he attacked Hilary for NAFTA.

Trump is genuinely talented at bullying and attacking people, especially given how stupid and slow he is the rest of the time. I don't know how much he wants to push the rapist button about Joe though, given that even his dying brain has to understand that he has raped many women and lots of people know this.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Cerebral Bore posted:

There is literally no way that Biden and his coterie of ghouls can do anything proactive to get his numbers up, on account of the necessity to hide Rapey Joe away because his brain is disintegrating, so their only hope is Trump sinking himself which is really loving bad since not even Trump absolutely bungling a pandemic response and causing tens of thousands of deaths has caused him to sink himself. So given that it's gonna be a steady decline for Biden and they have no way of reversing the trend it's game over already even if he's slightly up in the polls at the moment, hth.

I disagree. I think that like republicans, many liberals will eventually fall in line. Not all of them, but that number will tick upwards as the media does its job of smoothing out rough edges through concern trolling and lying. Joe Biden being a rapist will depress turnout, but for many people that's not a deal breaker because they either don't care or it didn't happen to them or because they flat out disbelieve it or think that Trump is an existential threat and will hold their noses and vote.

The youth vote will be severely depressed though and the women's vote, which constitutes much of the democratic party, will be depressed. This will be a low turnout election for both sides.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 6, 2020

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Trump is genuinely talented at bullying and attacking people, especially given how stupid and slow he is the rest of the time. I don't know how much he wants to push the rapist button about Joe though, given that even his dying brain has to understand that he has raped many women and lots of people know this.

He invited Bill Clinton's accusers to a debate

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

KVeezy3 posted:

That was easier to do when he was an outsider with no record. On economics, he has proven to be pretty much a bog standard Paul Ryan/McConnell establishment ghoul.

Trump is going to win, but not because he is particularly skilled at going after Biden. He is going to win because high enthusiasm with a large base beats low enthusiasm with a large base, or high enthusiasm with a small base.

This thread likes to talk about how Trump is doing so well when he is bungling the pandemic response, but almost half the country approves of the way he is handling the situation. He is only widely considered to be screwing up among those who don’t like him anyway.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The real question isn't whether Biden can beat Trump. It's what he does if he wins. NY right now has cut medicaid, reversed bail reform and is using COVID as an excuse to engage in Gates Foundation style school reform, even as libs fawn over "president Cuomo." Colorado is also cutting medicaid.

While it is possible that a Biden presidency would be better, on average, than Trump's, there's also a good likelihood that the worst case scenario is that Biden comes in, uses covid as an excuse to gut social programs, then gets destroyed in midterms so that president Josh Hawley assumes in 2024 with super majorities.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Democrats have the memories of goldfish

"Trump wouldn't dare attack another candidate about his rapes, he'd be such a hippy-dypocrite!" they say about a guy who made the pussy-grabbing tape all about Bill Clinton

Trump will gleefully bring up Tara Reade every 5 seconds because it demolishes the Democrats' favorite attack on him: that Democrats care about women and will protect them from guys like Trump

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 6, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Trump joked about loving models at a televised conference about how many people are dying. He really doesn't give a gently caress and it gives him a lot of freedom. His enemies can't drag him down and make themselves look better but he can drag all of them down to his level.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ice Phisherman posted:

I disagree. I think that like republicans, many liberals will eventually fall in line. Not all of them, but that number will tick upwards as the media does its job of smoothing out rough edges through concern trolling and lying. Joe Biden being a rapist will depress turnout, but for many people that's not a deal breaker because they either don't care or it didn't happen to them or because they flat out disbelieve it or think that Trump is an existential threat and will hold their noses and vote.

The youth vote will be severely depressed though and the women's vote, which constitutes much of the democratic party, will be depressed. This will be a low turnout election for both sides.

No it won't The chuds are out in droves to vote for Trump even though the primary is uncontested and meanwhile, as you note, the Dems are doing their utmost to drive away the people they actually need to win over in order to stand a chance.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FXu_KOtYuQ

Does no one remember this?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

He invited Bill Clinton's accusers to a debate

To try and get under Hillary’s skin, and he also didn’t think he was going to win the election at that point. You will notice he hasn’t really touched upon the Reade issue at all. He would much rather go after sleepy joe for his cognitive decline than inviting more scrutiny on his own rape allegations.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Cerebral Bore posted:

No it won't The chuds are out in droves to vote for Trump even though the primary is uncontested and meanwhile, as you note, the Dems are doing their utmost to drive away the people they actually need to win over in order to stand a chance.

Oh sure, most definitely. But the dems are going to try and win not by focusing on Biden, but focusing on Trump as they always have. And the republican byline is not to defend Trump, but to attack China.

The dems getting a win isn't Joe Biden winning, but them keeping the party intact so they can keep grifting. Biden winning is secondary to them. They want to keep their jobs and I don't exactly blame the impulse to keep your job, but their job is literally leading the country and they're not even doing that. They're just holding space.

I think who's going to do most of the heavy lifting will be the media and pac money, not the dems themselves. They'll convince liberals to fall in line. Not the left, not swing voters, just the libs, and they'll hope that that's enough. That they can scrape together a win one last time with just their legacy voters.

Trump will absolutely call Joe Biden a rapist. "Rapey Joe" they call him. And the fact that Trump has a serious past full of rape and sexual misconduct and literally was besties with Epstein doesn't matter. Republicans have shown that him being a rapist is not a deal breaker because they're determined to win and Trump has a serious history of blaming other people for what he himself does.

Trump will call Joe Biden a rapist because he pays no price for doing so. And libs shouting, "But you did it!" and mashing on the hypocrite button doesn't work because hypocrisy is weak tea. No one who likes Trump gives a single gently caress that he's a hypocrite. In fact, many like him for it because it is a vulgar display of power.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 6, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mellow Seas posted:

Moreover, I think 47-44 is pretty much exactly the same as the poll result you’d get if Bernie was the nominee. Bernie would have more room to grow that lead, but I don’t think Biden is destined to fall. I’m not sure what the level of awareness is among the public about Tara Reade, but it’s clear a very large number of Democratic voters are willing to believe it’s a false accusation, because it supports their political preference to do so. As for his generally lovely politics, I’m not sure Trump’s political skill set is well-suited for getting that message out.

Name recognition is a hell of a drug. The media’s anti-Bernie blitz and the centrist voltron wouldn’t have worked without it. Biden is locked in people’s heads as “Obama, if he was an old white guy with hair plugs”. And Obama is locked in as “good President”.

Arguing that Bernie would be polling as well as Biden is while Biden is in the midst of a rape allegation scandal is certainly a take I did not expect to read today.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

To try and get under Hillary’s skin, and he also didn’t think he was going to win the election at that point. You will notice he hasn’t really touched upon the Reade issue at all. He would much rather go after sleepy joe for his cognitive decline than inviting more scrutiny on his own rape allegations.

keep telling yourself that

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

Watch the video I linked, in 2016 he called Bill Clinton a rapist unprompted and made it an issue in the campaign. He doesn't care because you can't make a person without shame look bad.

And really lets be honest, this country likes rapists. We love rapists. We're running two of them for President! We constantly protect them and make sure that their boyhood indiscretions don't ruin their lives. We let them hold all sorts of powerful positions. America loves rape.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 6, 2020

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Trump would never do this thing that would humiliate his opponent and increase his chances of winning.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ice Phisherman posted:

Oh sure, most definitely. But the dems are going to try and win not by focusing on Biden, but focusing on Trump as they always have. And the republican byline is not to defend Trump, but to attack China.

The dems getting a win isn't Joe Biden winning, but them keeping the party intact so they can keep grifting. Biden winning is secondary to them. They want to keep their jobs and I don't exactly blame the impulse to keep your job, but their job is literally leading the country and they're not even doing that. They're just holding space.

I think who's going to do most of the heavy lifting will be the media and pac money, not the dems themselves. They'll convince liberals to fall in line. Not the left, not swing voters, just the libs, and they'll hope that that's enough. That they can scrape together a win one last time with just their legacy voters.

Trump will absolutely call Joe Biden a rapist. "Rapey Joe" they call him. And the fact that Trump has a serious past full of rape and sexual misconduct and literally was besties with Epstein doesn't matter. Republicans have shown that him being a rapist is not a deal breaker because they're determined to win and Trump has a serious history of blaming other people for what he himself does.

Trump will call Joe Biden a rapist because he pays no price for doing so. And libs shouting, "But you did it!" and mashing on the hypocrite button doesn't work because hypocrisy is weak tea. No one who likes Trump gives a single gently caress that he's a hypocrite. In fact, many like him for it because it is a vulgar display of power.

He did say that that press conference a while ago when he was asked about Tara Reade that he knows personally how unfair rape accusations can be, which is a pretty devastating attack on Biden regardless of how he meant it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It's a long time to the election and everyone is already totally loving exhausted by Trump and the GOP. There is literally no way to predict what might happen between now and then. We could wind up with a VR Pokemon as the candidate. WE'RE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS PEOPLE.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gumball Gumption posted:

Watch the video I linked, in 2016 he called Bill Clinton a rapist unprompted and made it an issue in the campaign. He doesn't care because you can't make a person without shame look bad.

And really lets be honest, this country likes rapists. We love rapists. We're running two of them for President! We constantly protect them and make sure that their boyhood indiscretions don't ruin their lives. We let them hold all sorts of powerful positions. America loves rape.
If there are debates, Trump will absolutely invite Tara Reade to appear in the crowd

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I really want Trump to lose because watching him lose will be really funny and the memory of it will give me pleasure in the dark days to come.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

He made it an issue because his own history with women was already a topic. Anyone who thinks Trump wants sexual assault allegations to be a topic over the next few months is missing the mark. Trump will go there if he is trailing badly and is ready to unleash everything and anything, but he is absolutely not going to bring up rape allegations unprompted, when he is in a winning position.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Xombie posted:

I'm talking about favorable/unfavorable polling, not just vote polling. The effect of favorable/unfavorable on eventual voting patterns is the subject of the discussion.

Ahh, ok.

Clinton was up by almost 17 points 4 years ago.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president/clintontrumpfavorability.html

I mean, the gap did rapidly close, and the latest available polling ended with her about 8 points more favorable...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mekchu posted:

Arguing that Bernie would be polling as well as Biden is while Biden is in the midst of a rape allegation scandal is certainly a take I did not expect to read today.

Based on: the fact that head-to-head polls against Trump were about the same between Biden and Bernie during the primary, that the initial figures were almost guaranteed to tighten once the primary was decided*, no matter who the nominee was (it's just how Presidential challengers usually fare in polling), and that Biden's numbers don't seem to correlate with news about Reade, at all.

I'm not saying Bernie wasn't a vastly superior candidate, and that I don't appreciate that he doesn't appear to be a rapist, it's just that voters are dumb. So save it.

* I acknowledge that the primary wasn't actually "decided".

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People using 2016 to make the argument "everything will go exactly the same as last time" is pretty hilarious.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I just can't wrap my head around the idea that Trump is afraid of his rapes when he has managed to brag about them for years, win the presidency while people brought them up, and appointed a judge who is also a rapist to the Supreme Court. What has changed between then and now that suddenly those exact same allegations will be the ones to take him down in a country that does incredible mental gymnastics to give high profile rapists every possible out we can. Jeffrey Epstein was a convicted pedophile and one of the most powerful people in this country. We don't give a gently caress.

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Mellow Seas posted:

Name recognition is a hell of a drug. The media’s anti-Bernie blitz and the centrist voltron wouldn’t have worked without it. Biden is locked in people’s heads as “Obama, if he was an old white guy with hair plugs”. And Obama is locked in as “good President”.

This should have worked with Hillary but it didn't. Why are you still trying to claim Obama is going to shift the race in favor of the Dems? The Dems already tried this, it failed; the message is to move AWAY from neoliberal capitalism to entice people to vote for you in the general election.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

libs have no moral principles or beliefs of their own, they've sold out everything they've claimed to ever believe in to defeat some tepid social democratic reforms, and now they can't even make a moral argument for why rape is bad, they can only criticize Trump's rapes indirectly by calling him a hypocrite over it

This is what happens when you don't believe in anything, you can't argue for anything, all you can do try to cast yourself as the adult in the room and plink at your enemies with little rhetorical gotchas like "Hitler says blonde Aryans are the master race but he's a brunette heh, owned"

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

COVID-19 posted:

This should have worked with Hillary but it didn't. Why are you still trying to claim Obama is going to shift the race in favor of the Dems? The Dems already tried this, it failed; the message is to move AWAY from neoliberal capitalism to entice people to vote for you in the general election.

Sure but your sample size is one, and the neoliberal candidate still got more votes and only lost because of a weird distribution.

Even if Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden are functionally identical as a set of policy positions, the public does not see them as identical. Joe is avuncular and goofy, Hillary is cold and calculating. These reputations go back decades, and they matter to voters who don't have a coherent ideology.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

He made it an issue because his own history with women was already a topic. Anyone who thinks Trump wants sexual assault allegations to be a topic over the next few months is missing the mark. Trump will go there if he is trailing badly and is ready to unleash everything and anything, but he is absolutely not going to bring up rape allegations unprompted, when he is in a winning position.

His campaign is already making it a big issue, but they’re letting surrogates and ads do the heavy lifting since Trump sympathizes with Biden on the topic.

quote:

The Trump campaign is going all in on Tara Reade’s sexual assault allegations against Joe Biden.

Donald Trump? Not so much.

Advertisement

It’s a disconnect that stems from the different calculations each is making. The campaign sees a political opening. Aides and allies say they can use the allegation to call the former vice president a hypocrite for insisting women who accuse men of sexual assault should be believed — just not this one.

But on this one issue, Trump appears to see himself in Biden. He has talked about the allegation as akin to the more than 20 women who have — he claims — baselessly accused him of sexual misconduct. And he has compared it to the accusations against Brett Kavanaugh, whose confirmation to the Supreme Court he counts as one of the greatest achievements of his presidency.

“All of a sudden you become a wealthy guy, you’re a famous guy, then you become president. And people that you’ve never seen, that you’ve never heard of, make charges,” Trump said in a recent podcast interview. “I would just say to Joe Biden, ‘Just go out and fight it.’”

Trump’s rare hesitation to go on the attack against a political opponent has not stopped campaign operatives from plotting a full-tilt offensive around the allegations. They have released an attack video, taken to social media, written op-eds and sent talking points to surrogates. They say the political benefits outweigh the drawback of reminding voters of the scores of women who have relayed various stories about Trump’s own alleged sexual misconduct.

Mellow Seas posted:

People using 2016 to make the argument "everything will go exactly the same as last time" is pretty hilarious.

Not nearly as absurd as the people who are arguing that since Biden is doing as well as Hillary did at the stage, Biden will win in a landslide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Trump has come out in defense of Biden and told him to fight it lol, he's gotta be loving it that Biden has been dumped into the same waters he's been sculling around in for years

his proxies, however, have been running wild with how the lyin' libs have ditched MeToo. If you haven't seen anything yet it's because you're not a white woman living in the suburbs because the memes and ads seem to be laser targeted at them for some reason