Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Splicer posted:

Are we at the 4.5 wishlist part of the cycle again? Because if so, cutting down on the number of combat powers you pick up is a big one. As well as building "OK so here's this power but for paragon/epic tier" into the powers themselves instead of having three different powers per power.
And that's basically what 13th Age does (although as pared down as it is in direct comparison, I think even that still loads casters in particular up with too many different options).

Slimnoid posted:

Mostly the same for me, but I'd go further by removing feats entirely (gently caress'em) and remove a lot of dailies off magic items. Really trim the fat off it.
I've thought for a while that feats and items should occupy the same design space of enhancing your existing powers with numerical bonuses and new conditionals, instead of giving you all new powers. As such, the same resource should determine how many you can have. There should be some overlap in their most basic effects so you can use this to allow for playing without magic items, but for the most part I'm picturing that the broad choice "feats or items" opens up slightly different development directions. Or of course you make a game that has one or the other and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Joe Slowboat posted:

Hey, I’m trying to help an internet friend find a low-crunch system for playing a bunch of Greek-ish mythological heroes bouncing around like the Argonauts but with kinda high comedy action adventure style.

He’s planning on using 5e, which is a terrible mismatch, but the players who have played in TTRPGs are all 5e-only newbies to the hobby. Help me set them on a better course! I’ve recommended AGON and Scion* but what I’d really like is a Fate or other relatively light, flexible system that has some prebuilt infrastructure for Greek demigods.

*but Scion 2, while very cool, seems kind of too crunchy for this crowd at this time?

I actually made a BitD hack for exactly this, since blade characters are ridiculously tanky. I replaced stress thematically with the favour of the gods, and if Zeus was helping out his offspring too much (overindulging), Poseidon would get grumpy and cause trouble. I'd be happy to share if you're interested!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Captain Theron posted:

I actually made a BitD hack for exactly this, since blade characters are ridiculously tanky. I replaced stress thematically with the favour of the gods, and if Zeus was helping out his offspring too much (overindulging), Poseidon would get grumpy and cause trouble. I'd be happy to share if you're interested!

Sure! That would be great, though the friend in question may have started already.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

theironjef posted:

I don't think think this story reads the way you thought it was going to.
"I remember one of my first games of D&D 3.x" is not how I start stories I'm proud of.

e: For a little more context the GM and the Wizard were the only really experienced players, so a lot of it was a culture clash between the wizard playing the system as it actually works vs the rest of us going "Yes but what if this barn is a monster in disguise" and "I'll solo the troll, it's OK I've got a big sword, please stop summoning badgers to help."

e2: typing this up reminded me that we had a rogue who would steal part of every loot haul and OOC say we couldn't do anything about it because we didn't see it happen IC, and a true neutral character who interpreted that to mean having no opinions on anything

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 5, 2020

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Splicer posted:

and a true neutral character who interpreted that to mean having no opinions on anything

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

They were punishing the player for what his chosen character class's mechanics strongly pushed him to do: turn a one-time-use item into an anytime-we-need-it spell. Why would you want your party member to do that? Why would you want a player to use their character class's mechanics? gently caress that guy!

Because they're playing a wizard and do not deserve any respect.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Joe Slowboat posted:

Sure! That would be great, though the friend in question may have started already.
Here you go, hopefully it is of some use, even if only to show that there are more options than 5e
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XrqUyJXlL6LvzTFZ95Iq4-cgKWEPns5s

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

"Punishment" is a bad tool for a DM to use, because leisure time shouldn't resemble a particularly bad job, EXCEPT when talking about D&D Wizards, who are all clearly begging for a swirlie.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
That is every bad first D&D experience.

The one player who knows the system playing an overpowered class?

The thief stealing from the party?

The fighter thinking they could do poo poo?

Someone being an idiot about alignment?

All the classics.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

How crunchy do you want to go, and what kind of cyberpunk do you want: corporations and urban decay and grey legality, like Shadowrun (which, if crunch is your problem, bad news, though Shadowrun: Anarchy is rules-lighter), or "it's the future and it just kind of sucks," which could span a ton of things, even something like Fragged Empire? I'm not familiar with Worlds of Android, but it looks like it supports limited spacefaring and is heavy on corporation bullshit, and if you reskin the race options (or restrict which ones people have access to), you could probably get your way there with a rules-y-but-not-too-dense-or-fiddly setup.

Honestly I'm still trying to find a good system to use for Cyberpunk stuff that is of my preferred crunch level and I still have yet to find anything that fits particularly well

Slimnoid posted:

Gamma World 7e relegated dailies to items, which were supposed to be consumed regularly as you'd keep finding more of them and were meant to cycle through stuff as you burned through them. One-use items seem a better place for the dailies concept.

Yeah that game did a lot of things right, and probably makes the best base if one wanted to try to do an actually good* "4.5" or "4e Version 2"

*I like Strike! but it probably diverges a bit too far to really count here

dwarf74 posted:

Apropos of nothing, here's the basic format I came up with. It worked wonderfully, and imo it's as clean as is possible for 4e, but still

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9qwm-rNX9YEelJ6aXZCMmZsRE0/view?usp=drivesdk

Neat

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Iron Jef doing Smallville? Why yes, that sounds delightful.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Splicer posted:

a true neutral character who interpreted that to mean having no opinions on anything

I'm not sure if I'm more annoyed by people with that interpretation, or the ones who think that true neutral means they can eat babies as long as they also donate to charity.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

senrath posted:

I'm not sure if I'm more annoyed by people with that interpretation, or the ones who think that true neutral means they can eat babies as long as they also donate to charity.
TBH I'm not really aware of any other interpretations.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Captain Theron posted:

Here you go, hopefully it is of some use, even if only to show that there are more options than 5e
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XrqUyJXlL6LvzTFZ95Iq4-cgKWEPns5s

Thanks! I’ll put it in front of them.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

senrath posted:

Imagine Desert Bus for Charity, but instead of playing a lovely video game every $100 donated means they eat another baby. Truly, the most neutral thing in the world.

I am 100% stealing this idea next time I play DnD.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Back in the pre-world-wide-web days, most of us didn't really understand that the game was unbalanced, or even that game balance was a thing to strive for, and certainly not that it was imbalanced in favor of wizards, you know, the guy who gets a single casting of Magic Missile per day and then has to make do with just a dagger, no armor, and fewer hit points than a house cat.

We were pre-traumatized by trying over and over to roll a bard in AD&D, or realizing that our elf was simply never going to level up because of how many XP that class needed to level up. So making the guy trying to turn scrolls into reusable spells feel bad would be like yelling at the ranger for spending time in between adventures trying to make some more arrows so they'll stop running out after the second encounter.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

bbcisdabomb posted:

Imagine Desert Bus for Charity, but instead of playing a lovely video game every $100 donated means they eat another baby. Truly, the most neutral thing in the world.

I am 100% stealing this idea next time I play DnD.
And we have a donation from one Almar the Reaver, who says "great run, here’s 100 gold, gently caress cancer and kill the animals!"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Leperflesh posted:

Back in the pre-world-wide-web days, most of us didn't really understand that the game was unbalanced, or even that game balance was a thing to strive for, and certainly not that it was imbalanced in favor of wizards, you know, the guy who gets a single casting of Magic Missile per day and then has to make do with just a dagger, no armor, and fewer hit points than a house cat.

We were pre-traumatized by trying over and over to roll a bard in AD&D, or realizing that our elf was simply never going to level up because of how many XP that class needed to level up. So making the guy trying to turn scrolls into reusable spells feel bad would be like yelling at the ranger for spending time in between adventures trying to make some more arrows so they'll stop running out after the second encounter.

My group back in the 70s absolutely knew the game was unbalanced and we were cool with it because it was a game; not art or brain surgery and busting on other players was part of that. As long as everybody was having fun nobody really cared. I generally still don't play spellcasters because I enjoy fighters more.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The fact that it's a game is why games should make at least an attempt at balance.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Jimbozig posted:

That is every bad first D&D experience.

The one player who knows the system playing an overpowered class?

The thief stealing from the party?

The fighter thinking they could do poo poo?

Someone being an idiot about alignment?

All the classics.

It's missing sex weirdos

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

senrath posted:

If there was any single bit of legacy that 2nd edition could really be said to have it would be that whoever wrote the alignment descriptions in that one book hosed over what everyone thought about alignments for the rest of time.

True Neutral got described as "Will change sides mid battle because one side is losing too much."

Chaotic Neutral's stupid "Would jump off a bridge on the flip of a coin" was born there.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The whole description of how one party member of each alignment handles the big battle they fight and the treasure sharing after is godawful.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"Hey man, I'm just playing my alignment."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Coolness Averted posted:

It's missing sex weirdos
If you can't spot the sex weirdo you are the sex weirdo

Aww god dammit

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Splicer posted:

If you can't spot the sex weirdo you are the sex weirdo

Aww god dammit
Shouldn't have delayed the adventure to insist on hitting on the bartender at the tavern, my dude.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: New blog post for The Next Project (my D&D-inspired RPG) is now live!

Last post talked the new setup for class customization, and how those options are linked to Power Sources (Arcane, Divine, Martial, Primal, Shadow)

In this new post, we're outlining which classes have access to each power source, and how that impacts the broader designs, going forward.

I also talk a bit about the timeframe I'm thinking of for getting a new draft of the rules cranked out.

As always, if you have any ideas/comments/suggestions, all somethingawful forum goons are welcome to join the TNP Discord server, so feel free to hit me up over there if you'd like :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Night10194 posted:

The fact that it's a game is why games should make at least an attempt at balance.

The wargames that inspired the rules parts of D&D - the stuff Gygax did, basically - were about simulating actual battles, not finding balance. The "balance" was that typically you'd play out the game and then switch sides and play it out again, to see if this time the army with the severe disadvantage could do a bit better. The family boardgames I was playing before I started playing D&D were poo poo for balance and rules in general, too. There might have been discussions in game magazines about balance, but I didn't get or read game magazines.

It just wasn't a thing I considered as a teenager or even in my early 20s really. Fairness was considered, but that's not quite the same thing; it was clear to even 18-year-old Leper that rolling for stats was "unfair" because someone got to have a better character than someone else. So we switched to other methods, typically. Homebrew and rules adjustments were extremely normal for most RPGers in the early to mid 80s, I'm sure.

But "balance" in the sense that every player's character ought to be in a very closely confined band of power and capability, across different game situations? That had never been in the game before and I, and my friends, didn't think to question why not or whether such a thing was possible. We simply understood that it was better to be an AD&D bard than to be an AD&D thief, fudged our rolls or got our dumb 5-HP thief killed, and then rolled up a new guy when we could. That was just the way we assumed RPGs worked. The fiction touchstones we referenced worked the same way, usually there was a protagonist and then supporting characters. If you played Monopoly, someone got the green block and someone was stuck with poo poo, and the guy with the good property won the game, that's the game.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My group back in the 70s absolutely knew the game was unbalanced and we were cool with it because it was a game; not art or brain surgery and busting on other players was part of that. As long as everybody was having fun nobody really cared. I generally still don't play spellcasters because I enjoy fighters more.

I suspect you're 10 or 20 years older than me. Did you figure out the imbalance in the game just as a group, or did you pick up stuff like in game magazine letters and editorial pages, or what? I'm curious I guess, because this is so different from my experience, but I first played D&D as a ~12 year old in ~1987.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Hi chat thread i just wanted to pop in and see what's good since I saw the RPG Philosophy thread and went "neat" and was reminded TG is a pretty okay place.

How has the preliminary read on Flying Circus been? I picked it up and started flipping through it but it's unlikely I'll get the chance to play any time soon. Good? Bad?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

While the game isn't without its flaws (many of which we're hoping to see fixes for in the upcoming 1.1 release), the game is Very Crunchy but Very Good. It's a solid representation of WWI-era air combat reflavored with a magical background and some interesting twists. The moves are clearly triggered, evocative, and follow naturally from one to the other. I really enjoy the quantum-state design and stress mechanics. We have a thread by Erika herself if you want to know more.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Zounds, there WAS a thread! I coulda sworn I looked and didn't find one. I like Crunchy, and also Very Good, so that's quite favorable. I'll check it out.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I picked up Flying Circus last night while high, and reading it makes me feel like I'm reading Exalted. (It's nothing like Exalted.) I don't think I want to play Flying Circus, but I really, really want to want to play Flying Circus.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
I'd love to play Flying Circus but I'm definitely not fluent enough in the crunch (or how air combat works) to run it. I'm trying to implement some macros and stuff in Astral as a way of getting my head around how some of the moves work in practice.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, right now I'm simultaneously intrigued and intimidated by Flying Circus. "Want to want to play" is a good descriptor.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Has anyone played Torchbearer? My brother was talking about it and I've never heard of it before.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'm a total Torchbearer stan.

It's all about doing gritty dungeon-delving fantasy vietnam stuff but with a system that doesn't make that a clunky mess. My go to description is "would you like to play The Things They Carried but with goblins?"

It's pretty divisive, but I think everyone who doesn't like it mostly admits that they might have problems in the execution, it's most just not wanting to do what the game is shooting for. If that's the kind of game you're looking for, it does exactly what it says it's going to do. And it's not gross-rear end OSR/LotFP/Carcosa poo poo.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I ran a campaign and several one offs. Loved it but it's laser-focused on a specific narrative - the mechanics fall over rapidly if you want to start doing town adventures or settling down or anything like that.

On the other hand for episodic dungeon crawling in the deep it's great. I used the various TB adventures, Stonehell, and a stack of one-page dungeons from those competitions as dungeon resources and maps as treasure.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
https://itch.io/s/28456/plagueworld-2020-bundle

The Eldritch Tomb's home state of Arkansas has extended the state of emergency for 45 more days. Thus, PLAGUEWORLD 2020 is extended for 45 more days. Good chance to grab two full games and a li'l adventure written by one whole me!

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, right now I'm simultaneously intrigued and intimidated by Flying Circus. "Want to want to play" is a good descriptor.

CitizenKeen posted:

I picked up Flying Circus last night while high, and reading it makes me feel like I'm reading Exalted. (It's nothing like Exalted.) I don't think I want to play Flying Circus, but I really, really want to want to play Flying Circus.

BinaryDoubts posted:

I'd love to play Flying Circus but I'm definitely not fluent enough in the crunch (or how air combat works) to run it. I'm trying to implement some macros and stuff in Astral as a way of getting my head around how some of the moves work in practice.

This sort of stuff really makes me want to put together an actual play so I can show how it works in action...

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

There's also my weird side-gig that started as a joke and is now just Indie Games the Quarantine Away : https://discord.com/channels/703804704328777789/703804704328777793

(This isn't actually a self plug because if anything I'm looking for other people to mod this. I have no desire for power and just made this to run one game and now there's like 4 and growing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

open_sketchbook posted:

This sort of stuff really makes me want to put together an actual play so I can show how it works in action...

I'd appreciate this! I've been reading the PbP that's being run in the Game Room right now, and it's good stuff, but having a more hand-hold-y version that goes through the mechanics directly would be extremely useful for me. I don't tend to intuitively grasp crunchy systems well.