Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Probably already said, but definitely Brexit.
Year before it was 'Brexit so easy', then you had David Davis saying the UK had all the power in the negotiations, only for him to quit mid way.
June 2018 was when even some of the Gammons were realizing how they were lied into it.

Again, though, it was the Tories who were the prime beneficiaries of the collapse in support of the press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bobstar posted:

Random old man yelling at cloud thing: what's up with these websites these days where you type in the first letter of your email address and it immediately pops up a large red text saying THAT IS NOT A VALID EMAIL ADDRESS. And then you tab to the next field and it yells at you again for the field being blank.
They're doing some kind of check where they expect an email address to follow the format x@y.z, maybe with some additional checks on whether z is a valid TLD. If the checker is poorly written then it won't wait for you to finish typing before checking and shouting at you, and so as soon as you start typing bobstar69@aol.com it sees the "b" and complains that it isn't in the proper format. Even when the checker isn't overzealously running on every letter, when you tab away from a field that was previously in focus there's probably a "completed" flag being set for that field, so it then gets checked and shouts at you that the field is empty even though all the other empty fields you haven't clicked on yet don't register a problem.

There are a few big, popular libraries for stuff like this and they aren't necessarily well thought out, which is why so many websites have one of a couple fairly consistent behaviours when it comes to verifying what you've entered.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I blame AJAX.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

^^^I think they're on lockdown with all the other football teams

big scary monsters posted:

They're doing some kind of check where they expect an email address to follow the format x@y.z, maybe with some additional checks on whether z is a valid TLD. If the checker is poorly written then it won't wait for you to finish typing before checking and shouting at you, and so as soon as you start typing bobstar69@aol.com it sees the "b" and complains that it isn't in the proper format. Even when the checker isn't overzealously running on every letter, when you tab away from a field that was previously in focus there's probably a "completed" flag being set for that field, so it then gets checked and shouts at you that the field is empty even though all the other empty fields you haven't clicked on yet don't register a problem.

There are a few big, popular libraries for stuff like this and they aren't necessarily well thought out, which is why so many websites have one of a couple fairly consistent behaviours when it comes to verifying what you've entered.

Thanks for the explanation :) I don't do that kind of comptooters, but if I designed a touchscreen interface for a site that did that sort of thing, I'd have a grumpy customer on the phone the next day.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
At least it's better than the forms that do verification on the server side, and then when it detects a problem gives you a generic "field filled out incorrectly" message and returns you to the form, now completely empty. Government websites with long and complex questionnaires in particular seem to love that one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, that sucks, but the "never go away from the page, but send every change to an input to the server for verification by AJAX or whatever" idea sucks too, as do sloppy browser side regexes. Let people fill out the form, click submit, and then have it show errors next to each applicable field with clear instructions (and not loving lose the input data that was just submitted like how is that hard?).

Accessibility should assume that the user will be reactive, so having errors everywhere when they're filling stuff in either worries them or trains them to ignore errors, and either's bad.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You can have it do some live validation (it can run in the browser, no need to send it off to a server) it just needs to be a bit smarter than HEY WHAT THE HELL IS THIS the moment you start typing

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I'm right behind sacking her for buying a Galaxy S20 Ultra. What a waste of money.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Can someone really be sacked for that?

I know the UK is a grim dystopia nowadays but I thought we had ok employment protection laws and that it was actually not that easy to boot someone from their job

I guess she had just started working there so maybe she had a probationary period, but it still seems weird

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jedit posted:

I'm right behind sacking her for buying a Galaxy S20 Ultra. What a waste of money.

Samsung make good phones

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Paperhouse posted:

I know the UK is a grim dystopia nowadays but I thought we had ok employment protection laws and that it was actually not that easy to boot someone from their job

I guess she had just started working there so maybe she had a probationary period, but it still seems weird

They probably have a ~social media policy~

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

You can have it do some live validation (it can run in the browser, no need to send it off to a server) it just needs to be a bit smarter than HEY WHAT THE HELL IS THIS the moment you start typing
You can, but I think the best balance is to wait for them to finish filling in the form. Then you can use AJAX or other fancy verification when they click submit so it doesn't even have to reload the page/form, have it display the error messages clearly next to each field, and scroll to the top of the form to display a friendly "we think some of these are wrong, please check" message, otherwise you risk distracting/confusing them as they're filling the form in, and internet form fillers are often distracted and confused.

Unrelated, check out this steaming turd:

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

You can, but I think the best balance is to wait for them to finish filling in the form. Then you can use AJAX or other fancy verification when they click submit so it doesn't even have to reload the page/form, have it display the error messages clearly next to each field, and scroll to the top of the form to display a friendly "we think some of these are wrong, please check" message, otherwise you risk distracting/confusing them as they're filling the form in, and internet form fillers are often distracted and confused.

Second peak, here we come!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"mass gathering at hyde park" is such a weird phrase.

Hey I'm going to the mass gathering. Not a concert, not a rally, not an event, just literally I am going to stand next to a lot of other people because somebody told me not to.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I will never understand people who hate wind turbines and think they ruin views, they've got an eerie alien beauty even before you account for the fact they're saving the planet

also the Wirral has the prettiest sunsets on earth imho/fight me

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

"mass gathering at hyde park" is such a weird phrase.

Hey I'm going to the mass gathering. Not a concert, not a rally, not an event, just literally I am going to stand next to a lot of other people because somebody told me not to.

It doesn't say "bring a union jack picnic blanket" but you know a lot will do

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Guavanaut posted:

Can whichever government engineered covid please make a stronger one for these assholes? tia.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the border suggests palm sunday but we're a bit late for that.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jedit posted:

Looks like an iPhone 11 Pro to me

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

I will never understand people who hate wind turbines and think they ruin views, they've got an eerie alien beauty even before you account for the fact they're saving the planet

It's because they're new and different.

If they looked like this

or this

then the boomers complaining that they give you bird cancer or whatever wouldn't care.

Same with energy efficient lights. Now you can get ones that look identical to filament bulbs most of the opposition disappeared.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

XMNN posted:

also the Wirral has the prettiest sunsets on earth imho/fight me

We have some down on the coast near here (Brighton). We took a sightseeing boat out to see them and learn how they were assembled and all that good poo poo. We got close enough to touch them which is cool, but not as cool as the sound they make when you're right under them. Also, they're a fucksight further away than they look which was a surprise.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

and scroll to the top of the form to display

you monster!!

yeah at the end of the day it's a usability thing, and you still need to do server-side validation anyway in case people are into some shenanigans, but you don't necessarily need to make people wait to hit submit to see if they made a typo somewhere - honestly just validating when a thing loses focus is usually fine, but you need something else for screen readers (like there's this aria-invalid attribute you can set on a thing, but that's usually only announced when the control gets focused). Plus browsers can do their own validation stuff, like if a field is set as a phone number it might limit what you can type in anyway

I think non-annoying warnings as you go, and an error message when you hit submit are probably the most useful and accessibility-friendly ways to do it, but I'm not a webbe dev as they like to call themselves

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

And you never get anyone who thinks they're ugly/ruins the view but also feels they're necessary to reduce emissions. It's always "Wind turbines are ugly eyesores...and they're a waste of money because climate change doesn't exist/sometimes there's no wind and what happens then, hmmm? :smuggo:"

Out here in the Fens the turbines really enhance the landscape, I think. You get some great views of a mix of unspoilt wetland, flat farmland, some Victorian brickworks chimneys smoking away and the wind farms on the skyline.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ask them what their thoughts on rewilding are, and I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised!!!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alternatively rent them a jetski and tape a knife to the end of a mop.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pencils R Cool posted:

19:30 - 20:00
BBC1: Captain Tom: We Salute You
BBC2: Britain's Greatest Generation

Was the ONLY BRITAIN SOLDIERS ON propaganda from Children of Men a future BBC production?

No, because what clues we get in the movie suggest the world really has crumbled into complete anarchy - it's therefore much more truthful than anything the beeb has put out IRL in a good while.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

ask them what their thoughts on rewilding are, and I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised!!!!
I rewilded my back yard for a couple of years, partly because :effort: and I was doing other stuff with the house, but also to see what would happen. It made a huge difference to the number of bees and butterflies.

It's starting to look less wild and more ratty now though, so I've just spent half the evening going hog wild with a mattock and taking most of the larger non-flowering plants out, just leaving some of the pretty flowering plants around the border.

I've got a packet of regionally appropriate bee-friendly seeds that are a bit more targeted than just letting whatever take root and then hacking it down, so I'll see what they end up like.

At one point there was a 7' wild lettuce in there though, which was pretty cool.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Same with energy efficient lights. Now you can get ones that look identical to filament bulbs most of the opposition disappeared.

I bet the boomers only stopped complaining because they don't know that they're not good ol' fashioned bulbs like what meemaw used to make

If they knew they were :siren: STEALTH EFFICIENT BULBS :siren: you can bet they'd be moaning that they're giving them headaches and avacados and need banning immediately

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did once try to suggest to a lady at work that the new LED bulbs were probably a lot less likely to go bang than the halogen ones she was looking for (but that we didn't stock) but she wasn't having any of it.

Why of all technologies you would stan for loving halogen bulbs i do not know, they go bang more often than any other type IME.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

I did once try to suggest to a lady at work that the new LED bulbs were probably a lot less likely to go bang than the halogen ones she was looking for (but that we didn't stock) but she wasn't having any of it.

Why of all technologies you would stan for loving halogen bulbs i do not know, they go bang more often than any other type IME.

halogen bulbs can be dangerous. I once had a brown stain on my wardrobe door. At least I thought it was a stain. I finally realized it was gradually burning from the adjacent 50W halogen lamp (this was back in the late 90s before all this new-fangled climate change stuff :corsair: )

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The only place you find halogen bulbs these days is in air fryers lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nearly all of the anti efficient lightbulb poo poo is about CFLs too. Energy efficient lightbulbs produce ultraviolet and contain mercury and don't produce enough yellow light and other things that were true before LED bulbs.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ LED bulbs really need to decide on some standard colour temperatures though, they're all over the place

Guavanaut posted:

I rewilded my back yard for a couple of years, partly because :effort: and I was doing other stuff with the house, but also to see what would happen. It made a huge difference to the number of bees and butterflies.

It's starting to look less wild and more ratty now though, so I've just spent half the evening going hog wild with a mattock and taking most of the larger non-flowering plants out, just leaving some of the pretty flowering plants around the border.

I've got a packet of regionally appropriate bee-friendly seeds that are a bit more targeted than just letting whatever take root and then hacking it down, so I'll see what they end up like.

At one point there was a 7' wild lettuce in there though, which was pretty cool.

did you eat the lettuce? I'd feel bad about doing that

that's cool though, I wish more people would let nature take over a bit instead of having a lawn they don't even use or whatever. Get some bee buddies in there!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My mother hates the fact that her lawn is mostly moss because of how the ground is sloped.

But like, it's unbelievably comfortable to sit on. Like some faerie forest bullshit, genuinely like a mattress.

Some people honestly.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Paperhouse posted:

Bit late but lol no, you can be fired for (almost*) anything in the first two years of your contract.

Doesn't have to be an explicit probationary period or anything.

*specifically protected characteristics, maternity and trade union stuff is not okay, but you have to prove it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

did you eat the lettuce? I'd feel bad about doing that

that's cool though, I wish more people would let nature take over a bit instead of having a lawn they don't even use or whatever. Get some bee buddies in there!
I think it was some type of Lactuca virosa, which are toxic in varying degrees, so I didn't want to chance it. You can apparently boil them into medicine but ehh...

It was a titan of a lettuce tho, started as a little weedy patch and just kept growing upwards.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

My mother hates the fact that her lawn is mostly moss because of how the ground is sloped.

But like, it's unbelievably comfortable to sit on. Like some faerie forest bullshit, genuinely like a mattress.

Some people honestly.

tiny little bears live in them

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

I think it was some type of Lactuca virosa, which are toxic in varying degrees, so I didn't want to chance it. You can apparently boil them into medicine but ehh...

It was a titan of a lettuce tho, started as a little weedy patch and just kept growing upwards.

ohhh lol, I was imagining a round little cabbage looking thing hiding under some leaves

also I just saw this and you might be interested!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PUWQQ-joKE

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TACD posted:

Looks like an iPhone 11 Pro to me

*checks*

You're right, I thought the Ultra had three lenses but it actually has four - despite which it doesn't really have a better camera than the regular S20.

Buying the Apple is even more of a waste of money though, so the point stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

baka kaba posted:

^^^ LED bulbs really need to decide on some standard colour temperatures though, they're all over the place

They put the colour temperature (and a lil indicator) on the box though.

It's nice having a couple of temperatures - all my main overhead lights are daylight and get used in the day, then all my side lamps etc are warm white for the evenings. That way I don't get blinded in the evening and everything looks right during the day.

I've heard fancy people have colour changing lights, but I'm not ready to put my lumens on the Internet yet.