Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

SKULL.GIF posted:

Horrible chokepoints on the first point has been a problem plaguing this game for years, and then with Paris they went and made the chokepoint even narrower. :psyduck:

Paris choke feels a lot like the original Eichenwalde choke, but with high ground for the defending team. Cut a path between the two health packs on the attackers' right and the map becomes much more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i stopped playing this for 2 years and its still just protect the bastion in comp

boring

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The communication wheel updates sound great!

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

thexerox123 posted:

The communication wheel updates sound great!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG73RvuPWnQ
new voiceline meta incoming

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/overwatchnaeri/status/1253406410332766208?s=21
New basketball troll-free meta incoming, as well

vvvvv e: wait, it despawns the previous ball every time you press the button? lol

Ignis fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 24, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You can now reset people’s basketballs mid air, how does that not increase trolling opportunity?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

This wild bearded self broadcasting look has good implications for dinoflask. He could do one where jeff is being held captive by metzen or post apocalypse.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Man I updated this game to check out Echo and played some competitive games. 2-2-2 is just such a fantastically bad mode, I spend the entire match shooting at tank shields and once they finally break everyone just takes cover with max healing going out. Any real pushes or counter-pushes have to happen through ultimates.

They should've stuck with 1-3-2.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

SKULL.GIF posted:

jeff for four months internally: trust me guys 1-3-2 is the future. it's the way to save this game. i know it's weird but try it seriously and you'll find it's a better experience
jeff after reading a thread for four minutes on the official forums: sorry, i'm removing it in less than a week. will never try this again. :)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Man I updated this game to check out Echo and played some competitive games. 2-2-2 is just such a fantastically bad mode, I spend the entire match shooting at tank shields and once they finally break everyone just takes cover with max healing going out. Any real pushes or counter-pushes have to happen through ultimates.

good product

bad game

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

having only one tank would make the game so much more toxic for the tank player, who now shoulders the burden of the most important role in the game alone

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

having only one tank would make the game so much more toxic for the tank player, who now shoulders the burden of the most important role in the game alone

Counterpoint: they implemented 1-3-2 on live and it was the best version of OW we've ever seen.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Splinter posted:

Counterpoint: they implemented 1-3-2 on live and it was the best version of OW we've ever seen.

It really was, but that's also because one of the biggest core problems with OW is the existence of tanks--especially shields--in the first place.

For the first time, and it seems the last time, Overwatch games actually flowed pretty nicely during 1-3-2.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
On the bright side I'm very pleased with how Echo turned out. I was super skeptical of it at first (largely because I expected her to be a healer) but the actual gameplay process of playing her is very smooth. Flight feels great without being broken or too difficult to deal with.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I play tank for half my games. I would vastly prefer being responsible for the whole team instead of having to look over my shoulder all the time to make sure my offtank is with me and not off somewhere trying to plink Moira at 50 meters with Roadhog's gun.

Wheeee posted:

It really was, but that's also because one of the biggest core problems with OW is the existence of tanks--especially shields--in the first place.

For the first time, and it seems the last time, Overwatch games actually flowed pretty nicely during 1-3-2.

It's a big problem with the game that there's more roles in any given match dedicated to "not dying" than there are to "killing".

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Yeah, tanking is already a pretty thankless and stressful role. Only having one tank increases the likelihood that there will be at least one DPS per game who complains that they aren't being babysat by their team so they can get the team kill they know they deserve please mom.

1/3/2 might be healthier for gameplay, but it won't be as positive an experience for those who actually tank, for the most part.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
It was primarily support players complaining about 1-3-2. Most DPS received it very positively, from what I read both on the official forums and on Reddit.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Tanking in MMOs is fun because the group/raid are working with you and following the lead, tanking OW is literally hell even on the few tank characters that aren't terrible to play.

Overwatch would have benefited greatly from even a single senior developer who had ever played FPS before.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Skull Servant posted:

1/3/2 might be healthier for gameplay, but it won't be as positive an experience for those who actually tank, for the most part.

The vast majority of tank pressure in 2-2-2 is on the main tank, not both tanks, so it's not like that's a huge change going to 1-3-2. All the tanks were also significantly buffed for 1-3-2 and were the longest queue time. They were pretty fun to play.

IME, in 2-2-2 there's actually the most pressure on DPS, and that's where a lot of toxicity is centered. As soon as there is the slightest inkling that a DPS isn't playing well or if a non-DPS gets a silver or gold damage medal (even if it's just one fight into the match and one of the DPS died early for whatever reason), people start chattering. If the other team isn't dying, the first assumption is always that it's the DPS' fault. Similarly, people will jump on healers as soon as anyone has a feeling that they aren't getting heals (without any regard for their positioning, or perhaps considering that there are no heals because the healers are getting doved/flanked every fight w/ no peel/help at all). Tanks are cut much more slack IME, and this is coming from someone who primarily plays tank and support in ranked.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
I am surprised that the 2nd of the 2 support slots cannot flex between support and dps. To me, that slot could be used for a self sufficient / healing dps (such as Soldier, Mei, Bastion, old Torb) if the need for concentrated damage is required... The team would be greatly increasing their damage potential, yet need to be keenly aware that they could fold like a deck of cards if their only healer is focused....

... or design more supports like Zenyatta,

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That's just playing Moira and loving off to murder people instead of healing anyone the whole game.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Guigui posted:

I am surprised that the 2nd of the 2 support slots cannot flex between support and dps. To me, that slot could be used for a self sufficient / healing dps (such as Soldier, Mei, Bastion, old Torb) if the need for concentrated damage is required... The team would be greatly increasing their damage potential, yet need to be keenly aware that they could fold like a deck of cards if their only healer is focused....

That slot would just be a 3rd DPS slot 99% of the time as DPS players queue Support to avoid longer queue times.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Splinter posted:

IME, in 2-2-2 there's actually the most pressure on DPS, and that's where a lot of toxicity is centered. As soon as there is the slightest inkling that a DPS isn't playing well or if a non-DPS gets a silver or gold damage medal (even if it's just one fight into the match and one of the DPS died early for whatever reason), people start chattering. If the other team isn't dying, the first assumption is always that it's the DPS' fault.

Tell me about it. If I queue as damage, I have to break tank shields, kill enemy dps, pick off enemy healers, and kill enemy tanks all at the same time, often with minimal help from the rest of my team.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Not to mention it makes the sniper characters kinda suboptimal, as they generally suck at dealing with Tank shields, and of course in 2-2-2 format if both of them pick sniper types(like say Widowmaker and Hanzo) than you might as well surrender right then and there

1-3-2 fixes that a bit since even with that kind of stupidity your third offense player will probably pick something more useful in nature

Honestly what they need to do is split Offense into several smaller subcategories and limit those as well(so for example Widowmaker and Hanzo would both be in the sniper subcategory, so only one of them can be on a team at a time)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I've been playing Zarya a lot lately, 1-3-2 would take some of the fun away from being a buddy-tank, as well as getting more flak if I hosed up a multi-bubble.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1258544588039483392

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lol

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1261024784130781184

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
kinda like the dragoon mercy skin and sailor hamster

too bad about the game however

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

They still haven't put in Roadhog's Olympic high dive skin where he's wearing the speedo?

I guess the game's still dead, then.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Minrad posted:

kinda like the dragoon mercy skin and sailor hamster

too bad about the game however

That mercy skin is dope as hell

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Mcree has a cool leg

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

We Know Catheters posted:

Mcree has a cool leg

this is why they got rid of the shrapnel arrow

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
He normally has those chaps on, so I guess maybe his leg has always been up to shenanigans under there? But then there's gambler skins and surf skins, so maybe not.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The pose looks perfectly fine from the front, I imagine they didn't design it around being able to spin it on the cosmetics screen. You'll never notice that on the victory screen.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Macaluso posted:

The pose looks perfectly fine from the front, I imagine they didn't design it around being able to spin it on the cosmetics screen. You'll never notice that on the victory screen.

yeah there's some other victory screen poses that look kind of weird when rotated

there's also a few with little easter eggs hidden that you only see if you rotate them though

it's a mixed bag

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Anyone know where to find a good group for PS4, I desperately want to get out of loving Bronze but I'm not going to be doing that with the random morons I keep getting grouped with

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

drrockso20 posted:

Anyone know where to find a good group for PS4, I desperately want to get out of loving Bronze but I'm not going to be doing that with the random morons I keep getting grouped with

I solo but I’ll join up with you.

BostonZombie

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I'm not particularly good but got my first play of the game! With Reinhardt two guys came around a corner so they got the shockwave. Somehow that was enough, I'll take it. :toot:

Also a Wrecking Ball player kept grappling onto a pillar on the objective, but with zero team support so he got charged into the wall over and over for easy kills. You'd think he'd change his strategy after the third time it happened.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Also a Wrecking Ball player kept grappling onto a pillar on the objective, but with zero team support so he got charged into the wall over and over for easy kills. You'd think he'd change his strategy after the third time it happened.

dogs learn faster than your standard Overwatch pubbie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm a casual player who played a lot back on release and recently reinstalled because some friends wanted to play again. When did they implement locking into a class for a whole match? what's the reasoning behind it being forced even in like quickplay? I uninstalled again after one night of playing because of how restrictive and uh, not fun it felt. I realize this has probably been hashed out a hundred times but I haven't been following the game at all so it just seems fully baffling to me. I still don't like how they stopped allowing duplicate characters on the same team, so I'm probably just out of touch with what this game is and what people want it to be.