Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
My factory second all-clad saucepan arrived today. There are a few flecks of apparent corrosion damage where the lip was machined perhaps a bit too aggressively or brushed with the wrong brush. It’s completely cosmetic, if it gets worse I’ll just scorchbrite it away then wash and dry thoroughly. No complaint on getting what I paid for, that’s for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Anyone have any strong opinions on enameled cast iron skillets as a daily workhorse pan? My nonstick is dying and I have a couple of enameled cast iron dutch ovens I use and love so I was thinking of getting more of the same. I don't wanna mess with seasoning a traditional cast iron pan.

Anyone been using one for a while and have any thoughts?

Lawnie posted:

My factory second all-clad saucepan arrived today. There are a few flecks of apparent corrosion damage where the lip was machined perhaps a bit too aggressively or brushed with the wrong brush. It’s completely cosmetic, if it gets worse I’ll just scorchbrite it away then wash and dry thoroughly. No complaint on getting what I paid for, that’s for sure.

Used to have an all-clad frying pan that somehow disappeared in a move. Still have the sauce pan. It's a good buy.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Resting Lich Face posted:

Anyone have any strong opinions on enameled cast iron skillets as a daily workhorse pan? My nonstick is dying and I have a couple of enameled cast iron dutch ovens I use and love so I was thinking of getting more of the same. I don't wanna mess with seasoning a traditional cast iron pan.

Anyone been using one for a while and have any thoughts?

Used to have an all-clad frying pan that somehow disappeared in a move. Still have the sauce pan. It's a good buy.

The brand who makes the dutch oven you like probably makes a pan that's the same thing, but using an enamel skillet as your daily pan sounds weird to me tbh

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
The dutch oven is a Le Crueset that was a gift. It'd be $200 and that seems steep for a pan.

The reason I was considering enamel for a skillet is that I like cast iron but dislike having to worry about cooking acidic things in it.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 6, 2020

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Have you looked at carbon steel skillets? Lodge makes serviceable ones that may hit the points you are looking for

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Matfer carbon steel are pretty drat good and not that pricey. And it's spot welded instead of having rivets, that automatically makes it 10x better.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I was going to suggest carbon steel (De Buyer specifically) but you'll run in to many of the same issues with cast iron, like seasoning it, avoiding acids, etc. If you wanted a pan you could use daily for basically anything and put in the dishwasher after, I would suggest stainless steel. But if the mass and heat retention is important to you, maybe enamel makes sense. Lodge tends to be a good half-way to Le Creuset. Maybe you could just keep cooking stuff in dutch ovens, too?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

xtal posted:

Maybe you could just keep cooking stuff in dutch ovens, too?

There has been more than one trip where I brought my utility knife and my dutch oven and cooked every meal for a weekend in it. Those things do work if you need them to.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I ordered a high quality De Buyer silicone canele mold from Amazon and instead I received this crappy thin mold from Pavoni. I know getting screwed by Amazon isn't new, but this is especially annoying. I was looking forward to canele!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

I ordered a high quality De Buyer silicone canele mold from Amazon and instead I received this crappy thin mold from Pavoni. I know getting screwed by Amazon isn't new, but this is especially annoying. I was looking forward to canele!

Did you try looking around ebay for copper molds? I can't remember if that was you I was talking to about the other day.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Nephzinho posted:

Did you try looking around ebay for copper molds? I can't remember if that was you I was talking to about the other day.

I did but wasn't thrilled with the price. A chef friend who I trust recommended the De Buyer molds as something they use in their bakery, so I gave those a shot.

I plan on going to France in the next few years, and figure I'll buy them for cheap when I finally go again.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any reccomensations on a waffle maker? Ideally I'd like one that has bare metal plates, but I'm not sure that exists outside commerical ones.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Any reccomensations on a waffle maker? Ideally I'd like one that has bare metal plates, but I'm not sure that exists outside commerical ones.

Bought a Presto Flipside last xmas, it gets to the right heat and makes crispy waffles depending on the batter in 4 minutes. I'm very happy with it. It's nonstick though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Unless consensus has shifted recently, the Waring Pro is the gws hivemind pick.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I like both of my Waring Pros, I think newer ones are sold under the cuisinart banner. I haven’t tried those to see if they’re any different but the price has definitely come down

Best bare metal would probably be a cast iron stovetop model

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Is doing kitchenaid repair at home feasible? Not sure I'll be able to get this thing anywhere for service right now and after thinking I might have broken that plastic gear recently, yesterday there is now a clicking sound. Time to do something about it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Nephzinho posted:

Is doing kitchenaid repair at home feasible? Not sure I'll be able to get this thing anywhere for service right now and after thinking I might have broken that plastic gear recently, yesterday there is now a clicking sound. Time to do something about it.

It can be but it literally depends on how mechanically inclined you are. YMMV basically. I wouldn't but I know folks who can and have. Lots of grease up in that bad boy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The 2-waffle Waring Pro is what I have and it rules.

Aginor
Aug 1, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Don't know if you guys can help me or even if it's the right thread but I have an issue with the Nestling meat grinder. More specifically I acted like a complete idiot and stuck a plastic spoon in it to push down some meat and got it trapped in the coil part. I've tried reversing it but it's not moving at all and I've tried rotating it with pliers but it seems pretty stuck in there! I've also tried pushing out the coil part but it's pretty stuck in there.

Any help would be much appreciated!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Aginor posted:

Don't know if you guys can help me or even if it's the right thread but I have an issue with the Nestling meat grinder. More specifically I acted like a complete idiot and stuck a plastic spoon in it to push down some meat and got it trapped in the coil part. I've tried reversing it but it's not moving at all and I've tried rotating it with pliers but it seems pretty stuck in there! I've also tried pushing out the coil part but it's pretty stuck in there.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Try lube, or maybe even heating it up to soften it? Of course, this might just make everything worse.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

xtal posted:

Try lube, or maybe even heating it up to soften it? Of course, this might just make everything worse.

I forgot what thread I opened for a minute.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

xtal posted:

Try lube, ...

Put some Crisco on it.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Nephzinho posted:

I forgot what thread I opened for a minute.

Just make sure it's water-based

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
recommend me a spice / coffee grinder please thanks

the https://www.amazon.com/KRUPS-Electr...+coffee+grinder recommended in the OP is out of stock

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

recommend me a spice / coffee grinder please thanks

the https://www.amazon.com/KRUPS-Electr...+coffee+grinder recommended in the OP is out of stock

I’ve been happy enough with this one: https://www.amazon.com/Secura-Electric-Stainless-Steel-Removable-Warranty/dp/B079PMWD1B

Removable bowl for washing is always nice.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I have one very much like this: https://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-BCG111ER-Blade-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B081PBH4NX

It works well enough for spices. People who care about coffee recommend a burr grinder because they're more consistent. I don't have any experience with them.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Unless consensus has shifted recently, the Waring Pro is the gws hivemind pick.

I'm some kind of idiot trying to rebuild two Waring Commercial waffle makers into a single working one, because I love my Waring waffle makers.

Waring is the way to go if you like a round, deep waffle; it's not the way to go if you ever see yourself making a Liege waffle because of the lack of removable plates, though. For that, I'd use a Krups.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Anyone have good tips for getting odors out of a blade grinder? I use mine mostly for black pepper, and I discovered that even after a trip through the dishwasher, it still smells strongly of black pepper. I'm nervous about using it for anything else now.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Anyone have good tips for getting odors out of a blade grinder? I use mine mostly for black pepper, and I discovered that even after a trip through the dishwasher, it still smells strongly of black pepper. I'm nervous about using it for anything else now.

you can try grinding rice or some other neutral medium in hopes that it absorbs some of the odors -- it's a pretty cheap option

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Zorak of Michigan posted:

My spice grinder smells like it's literally made out of garam masala, but as long as I make sure the inside metal part is wiped clean and the plastic cover is wiped as clean as I can get it, it doesn't really influence the flavor/aroma of any other spices I grind in it as long as I empty it immediately after grinding.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Had a Mr Coffee blade grinder that made spices (or coffee if you wished) into fine powder. It died and my wife bought a Capresso blade grinder which lacks the power to grind coffee or spices beyond a rough chop. I clean both by grinding rice immediately after spices, a tip I got from this forum, and it has worked for me, no smells or off flavors. So I might buy another Mr Coffee blade grinder but the model I had is no longer in production.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
got my factory 2nd 3-qt all clad saute pan. I literally cannot tell what is wrong with it. The lid has a couple tiny scratches on the top edge I guess? I would scratch it more the first time using it.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

barkbell posted:

got my factory 2nd 3-qt all clad saute pan. I literally cannot tell what is wrong with it. The lid has a couple tiny scratches on the top edge I guess? I would scratch it more the first time using it.

Nice, All Clad is amazing but the price normally reflects that

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

barkbell posted:

I got one of their immersion blenders from that sale & same. I cannot find anything wrong with it and it was new in box.

I assume it's a situation like a pallet of stuff fell over at a logistics center. Most large companies don't even bother to check the contents of the pallet to see if it's OK, they just immediately mark it as B stock/damaged and get on with it. Not worth the time to go through everything and sort it out.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Some of them weren’t factory seconds but damaged packaging or discontinued models (the 6qt sauté pan, for example :rms:)

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Does anyone do any kind of long term food storage and have any equipment tips?

As Vermont starts to slowly un-quarantine and re-open, I'm already thinking about the second wave of COVID-19 which seems to be some nebulous "late summer to fall". I'm planning on hitting Costco a few times in the next couple of months for shelf-stable staples and one item I'm considering is their big-rear end 10lb bags of King Arthur flour. After two months, you can pretty reliably get toilet paper, but the flour shelves have been empty every week.

My first thought was to get some large food grade containers, dump the bags into them, then store in my basement. I saw some tips that recommended dividing the flour into gallon bags for the pantry containers which sounded like a great idea, but then got me asking: If I divide and bag, do I need those $20+ food-grade containers or can I just get $5 buckets from Home Depot?

Should I worry about that cheap plastic leeching into the bags?

If the recommendation is still food grade containers, what's a good online resource to order?

Any other long-term equipment-related ideas appreciated too!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Cheesus posted:

Does anyone do any kind of long term food storage and have any equipment tips?

As Vermont starts to slowly un-quarantine and re-open, I'm already thinking about the second wave of COVID-19 which seems to be some nebulous "late summer to fall". I'm planning on hitting Costco a few times in the next couple of months for shelf-stable staples and one item I'm considering is their big-rear end 10lb bags of King Arthur flour. After two months, you can pretty reliably get toilet paper, but the flour shelves have been empty every week.

My first thought was to get some large food grade containers, dump the bags into them, then store in my basement. I saw some tips that recommended dividing the flour into gallon bags for the pantry containers which sounded like a great idea, but then got me asking: If I divide and bag, do I need those $20+ food-grade containers or can I just get $5 buckets from Home Depot?

Should I worry about that cheap plastic leeching into the bags?

If the recommendation is still food grade containers, what's a good online resource to order?

Any other long-term equipment-related ideas appreciated too!

I mean, you can still get $5 buckets at Home Depot, just get ones rated foodsafe:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-5-gal-70mil-Food-Safe-Bucket-White-005GFSWH020/300197644
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/e-hofmann-plastics-19l-5-gallon-white-food-approved-bucket/1000784675

The restaurant cambros are nice in that they pack together tightly on standard wire shelves, but if you have a lot of room for storage buckets are a lot cheaper and have minimal drawbacks.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I store my flour in food grade 5 gallon buckets which cost $7 at the restaurant supply store. Home Depot's web page says the homer buckets aren't food grade, but they sell Leaktite brand food safe ones for almost the same amount of money (here). You can also snag 4 or 8 qt Cambros for not too much money, they were discussed as being reasonably priced from supply stores in one of the GWS threads recently, maybe the bread thread, but they're also only reasonably priced when you amortize the cost over several years. If you're using regular ziplock bags from the grocery store, I expect those are safe enough and enough of a buffer that they count as safety insulators for any unsafe outer container. Preppers use special mylar bags with oxygen absorbers, but they are expensive and I think uncalled for here. Are you near Burlington? The restaurants have to buy their equipment from somewhere, maybe they will just give or sell you some fish tubs for super cheap?

Edit: 10 pounds of flour is just about 2 gallons. You could just get a single box of 2 gallon ziplock bags and be done with it.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 17, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ten pounds of flour could just be left in the bag if you're going to be using it over a few months, unless you have a bug or dampness issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Is there any reason not to replace my Cuisinart DLC 10S with the current equivalent?

I use it more or less daily to make bread, and occasionally for other stuff.