Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Scientist Al Gore posted:

No, it depends on my options. For example, is the other guy a greater evil?

The other guy is a different evil. Not better or worse, just more palatable for the people who care about decorum. Now what do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Somfin posted:

What line does Biden need to loving cross for you to change your mind on this

There is only one thing Biden could possibly do, and that's switch the (D) for an (R)
As soon as he admits that he's a card-carrying Republican, the magic spell will fade from their eyes and all of his wrongs and injustices will finally be acknowledged for the horrific crimes that they are.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

COVID-19 posted:

The lib argument would go something like this, if I'm understanding them correctly:

"You have to take into account the ages and sexes of the people the murder. If Trump shoots an old woman on 5th Ave, and Biden shoots a young guy, it could be argued the old woman had already lived most of her life, so therefore it is your moral duty to vote for Biden."

you don't even need to split that hair, the argument will be that a million more people will die under Trump than Biden[citation needed] and therefore Biden can shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue and still be the lesser evil

really it's the same thing Trumpers said: Hillary is part of a satanic pedo cabal that wants to kill off the entire world population except for 25,000 people, therefore nothing Trump does can possibly be worse

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

No, it depends on my options. For example, is the other guy a greater evil?

That's not what I'm asking. The question isn't "is the other guy worse." The question is "is there an objective measure that would keep you from voting for someone."

Like, this is devolving into the twitter argument I had with a moron who suggested that in the battle of "open explicit kill-the-jews nazi" vs "open explicit kill-the-jews nazi but he's offering healthcare," the obvious choice is to vote for the latter.

E: As opposed to not voting for either of them.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xombie posted:

Swing voters, independents, white college grads, suburbanites. Trump won these people over in 2016. They have consistently polled against him since he became president and turned out to not be joking about being a loving idiot who doesn't even want to do his job and just wants to be on TV. These people hate Trump because of his constant instability. They hate all politicians, but they would rather have politicians not affect their daily lives.

If that's true, they're not showing up in swing state polling.

It is also very possible that Trump has lost those groups in non-swing states. So he's losing the suburbs of Dallas TX and losing Orange County CA, but that won't matter for the general.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Somfin posted:

That's not what I'm asking. The question isn't "is the other guy worse." The question is "is there an objective measure that would keep you from voting for someone."

Like, this is devolving into the twitter argument I had with a moron who suggested that in the battle of "open explicit kill-the-jews nazi" vs "open explicit kill-the-jews nazi but he's offering healthcare," the obvious choice is to vote for the latter.

E: As opposed to not voting for either of them.

They won't answer because that requires having a conviction.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

COVID-19 posted:

The lib argument would go something like this, if I'm understanding them correctly:

"You have to take into account the ages and sexes of the people they murder. If Trump shoots a young guy on 5th Ave, and Biden shoots an old woman, it could be argued the old woman had already lived most of her life, so therefore it is your moral duty to vote for Biden."

More "Trump shoots a young guy on 5th Avenue, Biden has the decency to shoot a young guy in an alleyway somewhere Pakistan."

You have to remember that the core of liberal morality essentially rests on them being the type of people who would nod along thoughtfully to Valentine's plan in Steel Ball Run.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Quantum leaping into Biden's body to try to prevent him from being elected, but every messed up thing I do just makes the posts defending him longer.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

How are u posted:

I so wish we could fast forward 6 months and be analyzing the election rather than all of this.

If the result happens as I expect it to, and Biden (if he ends up the nominee) wins a very comfortable victory based on both the suburban (D) surge that gave us all the special elections post 2016 plus the midterms AND a whole lot of the Obama Trump voters coming back because they took a gamble on an outsider and it paid off terribly... If that ends up being what happens then what's next for the internet left? What's the plan moving forward if centrism and Obama nostalgia win a substantial victory?

This is a very optimistic view, right now. Polling currently has Joe Biden in worse positions than Hillary Clinton was this time 4 years ago. In other words, Hillary was doing better at this point and she still lost.

How are u posted:

I'm not trying to gotcha anybody, but I'm curious. You guys seem absolutely 100% convinced that Trump is going to win a sweeping victory so if the opposite happens it'll have to be a heck of a shock, no?
Not really. I'm putting it at a 50/50 shot. It really depends on the next few months, really. The entire election could turn into a referendum on leadership during Covid, and that would make it a tight race. On the one hand, Donald Trump provided rather poor guidance vs. Joe Biden who basically hid in a bunker the whole time.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roland Jones posted:

Mind posting a link on this? I've been trying to find it again (I have read it before thanks to a thread here) but can't, and I really wish I could because it's such an amazing example of how awful Biden is.

Like three decades ago there was a report of some “vaccine” for drug addiction and Biden said it was an interesting idea. He didn’t know the vaccine was basically chemical lobotomy. He was being stupid. But because some people like to abuse framing to the point of mendacity, yeah, he wanted to induce permanent anhedonia in every black kid, sure.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Constantly claiming the general election is a binary choice while half of the population doesn't vote. Your vote absolutely is not solving the endemic problems affecting anyone, so quit patting yourself on the back about it.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

papa horny michael posted:

Constantly claiming the general election is a binary choice while half of the population doesn't vote. Your vote absolutely is not solving the endemic problems affecting anyone, so quit patting yourself on the back about it.

It’s not my fault people didn’t vote for the good candidate. Or the other candidate who did a half-decent impression of a good candidate. And in terms of trying to win, it 100% is a binary choice. But if people want to do things with their votes to make a point, I have no problem with it.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Mellow Seas posted:

Like three decades ago there was a report of some “vaccine” for drug addiction and Biden said it was an interesting idea. He didn’t know the vaccine was basically chemical lobotomy. He was being stupid. But because some people like to abuse framing to the point of mendacity, yeah, he wanted to induce permanent anhedonia in every black kid, sure.

"Biden's too stupid to be racist" is certainly a take when he has a well-documented history of racism.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Cuomo cut billions of dollars from medicaid, reversed bail reform (and even increased the budget so that they could afford to keep more people locked up), mocked de Blasio when he said that New Yorkers should be ready for a shelter in place order, said we need to 'pivot back to economic functionality' (which, of course, was memoryholed the next day when Trump said the same thing and democrats had to pretend to oppose him), and has literally worked to prevent democrats from controlling the legislature in NY and democrats still swooned over "President Cuomo" because he was coherent in an interview.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mellow Seas posted:

Like three decades ago there was a report of some "vaccine" for drug addiction and Biden said it was an interesting idea. He didn't know the vaccine was basically chemical lobotomy. He was being stupid. But because some people like to abuse framing to the point of mendacity, yeah, he wanted to induce permanent anhedonia in every black kid, sure.

It's not like the decisions a politician makes have consequences and that ignorance and incuriosity is actually a really bad thing in a politician and hey it's pretty clear that Biden is now smarter than he's ever been

Now let's go back to laughing about how stupid Trump is and how good it will be when we have someone smart in the room

Mellow Seas posted:

It's not my fault people didn't vote for the good candidate. Or the other candidate who did a half-decent impression of a good candidate.

It's also not your fault that the good candidates were shut out of being available for most people to even vote for. It is, however, entirely your fault if you choose to accept this.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brownhat posted:

"Biden's too stupid to be racist" is certainly a take when he has a well-documented history of racism.

I guess I missed the part where I said he wasn’t racist?

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Mellow Seas posted:

I guess I missed the part where I said he wasn’t racist?

Maybe supporting racist politicians isn't something you should if you're ostensibly opposed to racist ideals.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

COVID-19 posted:

Maybe supporting racist politicians isn't something you should if you're ostensibly opposed to racist ideals.

People constantly making up Joe Biden fanfic where he genuinely wanted to personally murder the pleasure center of the brain in every black kid in America doesn’t have anything to do with “ideals”, it’s just loving lying. I know how shittty Biden is and I don’t understand why people have to exaggerate it, which we’ve seen from Roland Jones can confuse and mislead people who don’t know what you’re actually referring to.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah gently caress these people taking Biden at his word: don't they realize that he has neither the time nor the inclination to figure out if this or that policy he endorses will turn people in to zombies, before he endorses it?

Mellow Seas posted:

It’s not my fault people didn’t vote for the good candidate.
It's not. But if I imagine a hypothetical Democratic party insider reading the primary thread six months ago, trying to figure out how much the party can get away with before enough people on the left just give up on us so completely that we cease to be a going concern, well it's not hard to imagine them reading your posts (and you posted, a lot) and thinking "we can get away with quite a bit, actually." Like yeah, you voted for Bernie or whatever, but you also made it very obvious that there was nothing the Democrats could do to lose your vote, and so they stopped at nothing to make sure things went their way.

Now obviously, that specific hypothetical thing almost certainly didn't happen - but something like it did, and often. And continues to. An awful lot of ordinary Democrats take the "I may not like it, but" approach so consistently and so reliably, that it actively makes the party worse and worse. You have been, and are, a part of that, through your ongoing acceptance of mediocrity and duplicity. You're not my favorite poster, Mellow Seas, but you're not that bad either - but people like you are a big part of why the Democratic party is such a loving loser.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Somfin posted:

There isn't one. The objective measure is whatever's least bad.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Mellow Seas posted:

People constantly making up Joe Biden fanfic where he genuinely wanted to personally murder the pleasure center of the brain in every black kid in America doesn’t have anything to do with “ideals”, it’s just loving lying. I know how shittty Biden is and I don’t understand why people have to exaggerate it, which we’ve seen from Roland Jones can confuse and mislead people who don’t know what you’re actually referring to.
I don't know, I think when you endorse a policy which would, if implemented, literally constitute a crime against humanity, that while there is probably some distinction between doing it out of ignorance, and doing it out of malice, it's not a distinction I'm terribly interested in exploring at least with regard to my inclination to actually vote for that person. Maybe if we're bringing Joe Biden before The Hague for his various crimes and deciding on his punishment, this is some bit of trivia that we can enter in his favor (if you can prove it), but for the purposes of this discussion I can't say I give a poo poo, and I'm not sure why anyone should.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mellow Seas posted:

Could you back this up? I've been looking for more information on this but so far looking up stuff related to Joe Biden's drug stances in 1989 just turns up things like him saying that Bush's War on Drugs plan doesn't go far enough and needs more police, prosecutors, and prisons, and that he's against the legalization or decriminalization of any drug. Extremely awful, but also not about the proposed "vaccine". So far the only published piece of anything I've seen mentioning it is that Jacobin article, and your post is the first time I've seen it put that particular way and contradicts the claim that he was pushing the authorities to look into it.

This is how normalization works. We're now facing an election between two rapists; from this point forward, "not a rapist" is not a requirement in a candidate, but a luxury. Anything not as bad as rape but still awful can also be dismissed, since, hey, at least it's not rape. If Biden does win, then whoever he's up against in 2024 (assuming he doesn't resign or die before that) will have the moral high ground unless they're a true monster.

It's also established quite firmly that victims can't come forward and expect to be heard, because the abuser's allies and supporters will crush them, and the only person who will face consequences is the victim. (And their family, apparently.) "Believe Women" has been proven to be conditional, so who's going to come forward now? Both parties have shown that they will mercilessly crush anyone who accuses one of their members and protect the abuser, which not only intimidates victims into silence but gives predators the go-ahead to continue their abuse.

Win or lose, what has happened in this campaign is a catastrophe. Mellow Seas has been complaining about hyperbole, but I think that calling this the death of #MeToo is pretty fair; only 30% of the Democratic Party's members think that Biden should resign if Reade's accusations against him are proven. That's awful for a party that claims to care about this sort of thing.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 7, 2020

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

You don't know what the word "objective" means, do you?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

People have been voting for the lesser evil this entire millenium and look where it's gotten us. Ol' RAVE act, Crack-fightin' Joe, an old rapist who can't finish a sentence, whose supporters itt acknowledge is a racist. Maybe it's not the best policy!

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Mellow Seas posted:

quote:

You couldn't blame Joe Biden for dreaming of a Magic Bullet, some fantastic new chemical that would shoot down drug addiction.

Why not a vaccine that could inoculate school kids for life against the ravages of heroin, cocaine or crack? Jonas Salk wiped out polio that way, didn't he?

"I know it sounds bizarre," said Biden. "It sounds crazy. Maybe it is crazy."

When you spend a day like Sen. Biden, D-Del., sitting in the Senate Judiciary chamber listening to drug horror stories, you inevitably dream of some bizarre, crazy cures.

It was a day when murders, mostly drug-related, hit No. 300 in Washington, D.C. Even the mayor, Marion Barry, was accused of smoking crack. But with the blinding speed of shifts in the U.S. drug epidemic, that was old news, stuff that happened in the tame 1980s.

Now comes the 1990s. And experts from the drug front lines told Biden the next decade could be worse. Smoking cocaine or "crack," which has turned U.S. cities into war zones, may be replaced by a new, devastating generation of drugs.

They warned of an exotic South American compound called "bosco." And a synthetic heroin called "P-funk." And a Miami and West Coast rage for "crank," street name for methamphetamines. But the most dangerously potent is "moonrock," a blend of heroin and cocaine that is quickly spreading to the rest of America from New York City streets.

"Young users shoot it, snort it or smoke it," said William Hopkins, director of Street Research for New York State's substance abuse program. "Usually they smoke a 'sandwich,' heroin sprinkled in a pipe between two rocks of crack. Heroin mellows out the 'crash' -- depression and paranoia -- that follows cocaine. Moonrock's deadly because it could addict a whole new generation to heroin."

"The drug cartel, like any successful marketers, keep coming up with new, improved products," said Biden bitterly.

Exactly, said Dr. William Faggett, who sees the first signs of the heroin-cocaine influx at D.C. General Hospital. He predicted drug dealers will hit the streets of Washington and other big cities with the "moonrock" mix soon.

"Smoking heroin could be the worst news in the drug abuse control community since crack in the early 1980s," said Dr. Faggett.

You don't need an economics degree to see that moonrock could link the Chinese gangs that haul heroin from Southeast Asia with Colombian drug cartels for huge profits. "Smokable heroin is on the horizon," said David Binney, FBI drug expert.

Biden, listening to the emergency-room horrors of gun-shot youths, crack babies and overdose victims, broached his "crazy" idea of a vaccine that could block addicts' craving for heroin and cocaine.

Maybe it's not far-fetched. But more bad news: Dr. Thomas Kosten, a Yale psychiatrist studying the quest for an addiction blocker, wrote Biden that big pharmaceutical companies were stonewalling. Kosten said the companies don't want their products linked to drug abusers.

An angry Biden gave the Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association two months to tell him what's going on.

"We should be investing a great deal more money on such research," said Biden. "Can we develop a blocking agent to vaccinate children against drugs' impact? We spend billions on cancer research. These drugs are causing havoc in society. Why not make research a top priority? Is that so bizarre?"

No, Joe, as soon as somebody discovers a buck in it.

Will any money be devoted to the search for Biden's Magic Bullet?

Welcome to the 1990s and to a nation that went to the moon trying to cope with moonrock.

https://buffalonews.com/1989/09/09/can-we-find-magic-bullet-biden-asks-if-theres-a-vaccine-against-drugs/

I guess this is the best we could do to fight against Trump. Vote Blue No Matter Who :shrug:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Sharkie posted:

People have been voting for the lesser evil this entire millenium and look where it's gotten us.

No they have not. At all. This is not true. Democracy is a super new crazy awesome experiment that has been continuously sabotage from inside and out. It works great but only if people vote.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Mellow Seas posted:

They're putting their "revolution" above the livelihood of others.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Yeah i wanted M4A all to myself.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

I sleep at night knowing that Biden isn't that monstrous of person and might just make things slightly better or at the least stop them from getting worse.

He killed a million people. You have no moral compass worth consideration.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Joe Biden's entire history amounts to millions of destroyed livelihoods.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Not wanting to vote for Biden has zero to do with Sanders and the ratfuckery during the primary. It has everything to do with him being a pussy grabber and a right-wing Democrat.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Midgetskydiver posted:

He killed a million people. You have no moral compass worth consideration.

Trump is actively destroying the planet to the extent that Oil and Gas companies disagree with him and don't even want it. That's much worse, no?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
E: Not worth it

Somfin fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 7, 2020

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

I can't vote for a guy that wanted to vaccinate black children against drugs and that also coincidentally was a strong proponent of the war in Iraq, I don't think it's possible to vote for Biden and claim you care about the livelihood of people.

Biden voters don't give a poo poo, they want Trump out of the White House because he makes them see and learn things about America they wished would just remain in obscurity, which is why Obama was so popular. He just kept his mouth shut and nursed the financial sector and the military-industrial complex back to health. That's literally all they want- a silent panopticon.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So it's not just that Biden was mildly curious about altering black (cause c'mon don't be naive) children's brains to prevent the scourge of uh, bosco and moonrocks, he angrily lobbied the Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association to make it. Cool.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

So Biden and the Democratic Party isn't allowed to change it's mind?

The guy's track record on being confronted on his actions with this election cycle has been to tell people to vote for his opponent. Biden does not seem the adapting type.

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Sharkie posted:

So it's not just that Biden was mildly curious about altering black (cause c'mon don't be naive) children's brains to prevent the scourge of uh, bosco and moonrocks, he angrily lobbied the Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association to make it. Cool.

They thankfully ignored his demands because even odious pharma executives could see that researching ways to vaccinate children so that they could be turned into soldiers for the War on Drugs may not have been the best move.

e: just realized there's a non-zero chance that Biden's senile brain confuses the novel coronvirus vaccine with his War on Drugs vaccination scheme and starts babbling about having to protect our children from the crack pandemic by injecting them with a new vaccine that Pharma is going to develop for him

COVID-19 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 7, 2020

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Trump is actively destroying the planet to the extent that Oil and Gas companies disagree with him and don't even want it. That's much worse, no?

"And come on, what's one tiny little rape of a subordiante, when the future of nations is at stake? Can't you see how unimportant and worthless that woman really was in the grand scheme of things?"

If the climate was as important to him as it seems to be to you, why is he setting the goal date so far after his own death?

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

COVID-19 posted:

They thankfully ignored his demands because even odious pharma executives could see that researching ways to vaccinate children so that they could be turned into soldiers for the War on Drugs may not have been the best move.

e: just realized there's a non-zero chance that Biden's senile brain confuses the novel coronvirus vaccine with his War on Drugs vaccination scheme and starts babbling about having to protect our children from the crack pandemic by injecting them with a new vaccine that Pharma is going to develop for him

Big Pharma has more of a moral compass than Joe Biden was not something I expected to learn today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Oh Snapple! posted:

More "Trump shoots a young guy on 5th Avenue, Biden has the decency to shoot a young guy in an alleyway somewhere Pakistan."

You have to remember that the core of liberal morality essentially rests on them being the type of people who would nod along thoughtfully to Valentine's plan in Steel Ball Run.

To be fair Funny Valentine is more genuinely concerned about the health of America than literally any president in any of our lives, and his plan is significantly more sound than the average liberal policy proposal.

It’s a shame the world will end before we get a Jojo Part 7 anime.