Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

What the gently caress aren't they telling us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

shovelbum posted:

yea this seems like a bit of a red flag to me in this regard as well

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Finally America is demilitarizing.

someone go cough on the nukes (in Minecraft)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shovelbum posted:

maybe it loving destroys your testicles, OP

we can’t have a buncha soyboys in the military, hoorah

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

shovelbum posted:

I mean it's gotta be either 1) there's longterm damage that disqualifies you from military service or 2) you remain an infection risk after recovery, right?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

don't forget how black people are far more likely to get this virus

someone is pulling strings trying to turn the military into a full ethnocracy

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

TehSaurus posted:

I hear you guys like beans? Just a month ago this mighty pinto pod was all dried up in my pantry.

nice bean. commendable

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

I imagine this is just due to some rule hitting somewhere saying "no COVID positive people, duh" and not at this point having reliable antibody tests or wanting to deal with it they're just enforcing it in the strictest way possible which makes sense in the interim.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

that covid criterion is obviously not going to be a permanent thing, given at least two thirds of the population will probably have had it at some point in the future

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I mean it's gotta be either 1) there's longterm damage that disqualifies you from military service or 2) you remain an infection risk after recovery, right?

We've seen both but in ways that are easily identifiable, and the long term infection risk seems to be kind of not as much a thing as we thought, but a permanent ban means there's something about this that NO ONE is talking about lmao

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
My grandfather grew pole beans in his garden from seeds originally brought over from Italy, and I'm fairly certain my mom still has some seeds from before he passed.

Need to get those beans.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

SKULL.GIF posted:

lol if you didn’t let brown people into the military we wouldn’t have a military

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1258175981262639104?s=19

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

It means nobody knows for sure what long term effects having covid causes or if having it once makes you immune or maybe makes you more vulnerable for a second go around a year later.

Until they know more they're just gonna pass on you.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

can't imagine how someone could become infected despite "largely" staying at home

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

This kinda feels like it fits more than the secret long-term symptom given:
https://twitter.com/FlyontheWall29/status/1257410254960197634?s=20

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Hmm could this be a short term treatment for a brand new pandemic disease without a reliable way to confirm immune status?

No it must be a massive conspiracy!!!! Said the people regularly mocking dumbass CHUDs for jumping to sinister conclusions for easily explainable medical-advised cation.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

shovelbum posted:

here I dredged up this secret information from the deep state which is definitely secret and not readily available all over the place from any reputable source:

torm trumob trub trone team trab tooo tarb

also covid can permanently gently caress up your lungs so they're treating it like asthma or being blind in that disqualifying it takes a big amount of risk out of the pool of applicants duh

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Mrs. Dash posted:

It means nobody knows for sure what long term effects having covid causes or if having it once makes you immune or maybe makes you more vulnerable for a second go around a year later.

Until they know more they're just gonna pass on you.

Shut up this logical explanation doesn't feed into my preexisting narrative!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dustcat posted:

can't imagine how someone could become infected despite "largely" staying at home

Every story where it was like oh I got it after a month at home it was like also while my husband worked at a meat plant

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

empty whippet box posted:

if I pay 50 pounds for a roast it better be about 8 pounds of meat, fully cooked and ready to serve and also at an actual restaurant.

I've been filling up the gaps in my freezer with cheap meat this week.

It seems a lot of the abattoirs and packing facilities ramped up production and stores started overstocking fresh meat, but the demand never really came so my local supermarket has shelves filled with marked-down meat.

Also Ireland produces about 8x more agricultural produce than we consume, so I guess limits on exports might have flooded our internal market with cheap produce. I've seen all kinds of local businesses cropping up on social media offering home deliveries of meat packs and fruit/veg deliveries at prices that undercut the supermarkets.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

shovelbum posted:

Every story where it was like oh I got it after a month at home it was like also while my husband worked at a meat plant

it's almost as if the germ theory of disease was more than just a theory

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The actual article just says that 2/3 of people lived at home so I don't get how they connect that to saying those people rarely left home, much less defining what 'rarely' meant in this context.

quote:

Hospitals were asked to document where their most recent COVID-19 patients had been staying before admission, Cuomo said, and 66 percent came from their own homes.

About 18 percent came from nursing homes, 4 percent from assisted-living facilities, 2 percent were homeless, 2 percent had been at other "congregate" settings, fewer than 1 percent were prison or jail inmates, and 8 percent were classified as "other."

"This is a surprise," the governor told reporters at the Feinstein Institutes for Medical Research in Manhasset, New York. "Sixty-six percent of the people were at home, which is shocking to us."

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
:tinfoil:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh my God, I live in my home

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
For how many does “staying home” mean “living in an apartment”? And what exactly does “largely staying at home” mean? Are they going to the store? Using elevators? Living with someone who works?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Dustcat posted:

it's almost as if the germ theory of disease was more than just a theory

I was taking the yellow bile pills and applying the poultices as directed

My apothecary is on my shitlist

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

This kinda feels like it fits more than the secret long-term symptom given:
https://twitter.com/FlyontheWall29/status/1257410254960197634?s=20

the article points out that an appeal would be denied as there is no criteria for an approval for Covid-19.

The stated concerns are science based, but they hinge on unlikely outcomes. Not sure how well the military runs without minorities but racism could be it I guess.

Those concerns are unknown long term lung function and how the disease processes long term. I.e the inactive covid just becoming active every so often where it just grinds away your lung function.

The lung function thing is super real concern and is why I don't think sports will be coming back until we know a lot more.

pigz has issued a correction as of 01:04 on May 7, 2020

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

shovelbum posted:

Oh my God, I live in my home

Everyone get out of your loving homes now go back to work it’s our only chance

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
over 2,500 dead today lmbo

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Trixie Hardcore posted:

For how many does “staying home” mean “living in an apartment”? And what exactly does “largely staying at home” mean? Are they going to the store? Using elevators? Living with someone who works?

Sometimes it feels like Cuomo is just frustrated that people will say he's stupid if he tries to reopen NYC right now and that's the only reason he isn't doing it

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/TIME/status/1258155369626566656?s=19

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

torm trumob trub trone team trab tooo tarb

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Wow NY in with an extra 500 deaths at the finish line today to get the number up to 752 there.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Fly Molo posted:

maybe it loving destroys your testicles, OP

we can’t have a buncha soyboys in the military, hoorah

it's cause the new balls that come in after your first pair falls off are too sensitive duh

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

literally everyone almost has been "largely" staying at home, useless information

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

:wtc:

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

shovelbum posted:

Meat packing plant workers here walked out en masse until they got guarantees from their companies that appropriate distancing and protective measures would be put in place. My nephew works in one. He now gets temperature-tested at the start of each shift, and gets issued with fresh PPE. The company has set up those hanging clear plastic dividers between each spot on the production line and reduced shift lengths.

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/UN/status/1258155831452934144?s=19

Uh yeah sure I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Dustcat posted:

Weren't there people in Wuhan getting it from the pipes in their apartments since coronavirus can be spread via poo gas?