Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Yes, the ruling applies only to Bailey but may affect future EOs.

My question is: can an Illinois legislator sue on behalf of his constituents so the ruling would cover all of the people?

I am assuming Bailey did this so that he would get all of the press attention while also not actually doing anything but it got me wondering if he could even sue on behalf of his constituents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Yes, the ruling applies only to Bailey but may affect future EOs.

My question is: can an Illinois legislator sue on behalf of his constituents so the ruling would cover all of the people?

I am assuming Bailey did this so that he would get all of the press attention while also not actually doing anything but it got me wondering if he could even sue on behalf of his constituents.

Yeah, my bad, I read it as a general restraining order for the state. I could see a Republican trying to sue on behalf of their constituents in an attempt to circumvent legislation.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Looks like it might apply to the state as a whole due to the equal protection clause?

https://www.wandtv.com/news/tempora...Tg2jalE7X2OUX_g

quote:

The ruling only applies to Bailey, but because Gov. Pritzker is acting on behalf of the government, he can not issue a new ruling and exclude Bailey; therefore making it binding for the entire state. Pritzker would also not be able to issue a new order due to equal protection laws.
“The Order applies to the litigants before the Court, which includes Pritzker. While Pritzker is restrained from enforcing a restraint on Bailey under the Order, a state actor cannot carve out only one citizen and enforce against the rest who are situated similarly without inviting additional constitutional prohibitions. Pritzker appears to recognize this reality as he has stated that he will issue "public health directives" as opposed to Orders,” the attorney said.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

That is just one lawyer’s opinion so I would think that it would take another lawsuit to determine whether it goes for the whole state (and it may fall to the appeals court).

I am not surprised that the ruling came down this way. Local chud judge from the same town as Bailey wrote on stupid rear end decision. He claimed Pritzker is shredding the Constitution and how Pritzker was keeping him from his “constitutional right to fish on a lake”. I do not remember that amongst the amendments.

I was looking at the 5th district appellate court make up and I do not know what they rule (although their bios make them sound like legit judges). I would think that any decent judge would dismiss the lawsuit based on lack of standing alone. Bailey claims the order is harming him by taking away his rights but he cannot name one way he has been harmed (and has been traveling the state over the last month while ignoring all of the EO).

Dems suck though because Bailey is running unopposed for the state senate seat.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Question for lawyery people. In a case like this, does a judge look only at the Illinois constitution, or to both Illinois and US constitution?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
They do whatever they want

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Woodford County:

WIRED: Chargina a 9 year old with murder
TIRED: Enforcing stay at home orders

https://www.wglt.org/post/woodford-county-will-not-enforce-extended-stay-home-order#stream/0

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Go commit crimes in that county and then use the exact same arguments. Every law is unconstitutional by those arguments. You are stealing someone’s property (their labor) by arresting them without just compensation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So when does my property interest of not getting murdered by a sneeze get some attention? Where's my wife's just compensation if that happens?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Southern Illinois Chud patrol has its new focus.

Prtizker’s wife went to Florida during the stay at home order (unless it was essential travel, this is beyond stupid) and his response of “how dare you ask a questions about my family” was even dumber.

Chud partrol’s hero, Darren Bailey, has been ignoring the order since day 1 but his is done for freedom.

Also, Bailey is getting exactly what he wants, attention. He was on Laura Ingraham’s show last night. Local news was helping to promote him on the show. They do not even promote the daily briefings.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Southern Illinois Chud patrol has its new focus.

Prtizker’s wife went to Florida during the stay at home order (unless it was essential travel, this is beyond stupid) and his response of “how dare you ask a questions about my family” was even dumber.

Chud partrol’s hero, Darren Bailey, has been ignoring the order since day 1 but his is done for freedom.

Also, Bailey is getting exactly what he wants, attention. He was on Laura Ingraham’s show last night. Local news was helping to promote him on the show. They do not even promote the daily briefings.

My friend brought this up to me yesterday, but I hadn't heard about Pritzker's response to it.

From what I read, she hosed off to their estate in FL in early April or something and just never came back?

Which . . . there might be a lot to unpack there, or maybe there isn't. But if you make a single move and then stay there, I don't see the harm, really.

Was this from one of the more recent coronavirus updates?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Must have happened yesterday.

Even if she does go to just her mansion, it still puts people at risk if she has it and takes it into a community down there (people who work in her mansion, etc) or gave it to the flight crew.

Just stupid and Pritzker’s response is foolish and plays right into the same bullshit I hear all of the time about “Chicago people”.

It is still not as stupid as Bailey, but it does not help out the cause of getting people to take this seriously. (similar to Lightfoot’s stupid haircut).

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah it's a bad move by JB.

Does anyone know what's up with IDES and contract workers yet? My girlfriend hasn't been able to work since the state shutdown due to her job being in events. I heard they were building a site for contract workers at some point but not if it went through or there was some other way of collecting.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Must have happened yesterday.

Even if she does go to just her mansion, it still puts people at risk if she has it and takes it into a community down there (people who work in her mansion, etc) or gave it to the flight crew.

Just stupid and Pritzker’s response is foolish and plays right into the same bullshit I hear all of the time about “Chicago people”.

It is still not as stupid as Bailey, but it does not help out the cause of getting people to take this seriously. (similar to Lightfoot’s stupid haircut).

Agreed.

I guess if my interview in another state hadn't been cancelled because of Corona-chan, I'd have violated the stay-at-home order by packing up and loving off forever too, so maybe I'm overly sympathetic here if she just hosed off and stays gone until after the end of May or whenever it's lifted. That, and I guess travel hasn't been entirely banned, has it? I'm not sure how that works to be honest, since I've been pretty much just staying home.

Definitely super-agree that getting a haircut is probably an even worse look, since that's what a lot of people are antsy to go do.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Local group asks you to "tip your mask" to help prevent racial biases

quote:

"Tip Your Mask" is in coordination with various police departments in Illinois. When you go into a store or building, you're now asked to "tip your mask" by lowering it slightly so the business owner can see your face. After you tip, you should wash your hands or sanitize as soon as you can. Reverend Wonder Harris who founded the Village of A Thousand Elders explains, "if people were to commit a crime, they wouldn't tip the mask because they’d be caught on camera." He visited various local businesses in East Moline and said business owners' agreed that tipping masks would ease their minds to know a customer is just inside to shop, and not commit a crime.

"You should die of coronavirus to make racists more comfortable."

Piell fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 1, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Piell posted:

What. The. gently caress.

Holy poo poo, what is WRONG with these people?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Surely the people mad at Pritzker's wife are also mad at Ivanka, right? No? Huh.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Nope. They are not. They are not mad at Bailey either.

Bailey has rescinded his TRO so that he can amend his complaint and send it directly to the Illinois Supreme Court. He swears he has some new evidence that will blow this out of the water. Something involving “due process”.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Niwrad posted:

Yeah it's a bad move by JB.

Does anyone know what's up with IDES and contract workers yet? My girlfriend hasn't been able to work since the state shutdown due to her job being in events. I heard they were building a site for contract workers at some point but not if it went through or there was some other way of collecting.

apparently they said it would be on-line in May, because they decided to work with Deloitte instead of, you know, doing things themselves.

it seems weird saying that Missouri is doing things better than Illinois, but they've had their PUA system operational for a couple weeks now and apart from occasional delays in payment it's working fine. both myself and my father (I qualify because I officiate sports and thus get paid as a 1099 worker, while my dad's technically self-employed) have signed up and gotten approved fairly quickly.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Looks like the Chud rallies went well.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Piell posted:

it's quite nice of them

they'll shoot you if you don't in DuPage

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Nope. They are not. They are not mad at Bailey either.

Bailey has rescinded his TRO so that he can amend his complaint and send it directly to the Illinois Supreme Court. He swears he has some new evidence that will blow this out of the water. Something involving “due process”.

The new order allows fishing, so he needs a whole new case.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Looks like the Chud rallies went well.

I keep trying to figure out what point she is trying to make with that sign. She obviously knows it’s from Auschwitz. My only interpretation of the sign would be a criticism against the reopen crowd, but I’m pretty sure she’s pro reopen.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

She is sending a message to Pritzker who is Jewish.

Someone even pointed out that she wrote the “B”s exactly like they did on the concentration camp entrances. Is that just a way to write it in German or definitely Nazi?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

yeah she even copied the font from the Auschwitz sign

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not a nazi so can't say if it means anything to them, but I've seen B's written like that in handwriting samples. Not all concentration camps had that lettering either, so it might have been a regional thing (germans changed their handwriting like four times between 1850 and 1950).

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulCw7RJ5eE8

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Crossposted from the Chicago thread:

Unemployment question: Apparently a couple people with Southwest have been having this happen, but my mom's a flight attendant and when she filed, there was no place for her to put in her income, her assessment letter says she gets 0 bucks because she makes no money. Anyone experience something similar and know a fix? Calling up is apparently impossible because of how bananas everything is.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Soonmot posted:

Crossposted from the Chicago thread:

Unemployment question: Apparently a couple people with Southwest have been having this happen, but my mom's a flight attendant and when she filed, there was no place for her to put in her income, her assessment letter says she gets 0 bucks because she makes no money. Anyone experience something similar and know a fix? Calling up is apparently impossible because of how bananas everything is.

Call your state representative's office they can usually help out faster than the hotline.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I do not get how anyone thinks stuff can be reopened without some kind of school or child care.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well when the sole motivation for reopening is so the wealthy stop losing money, little details like that are gonna fall through the cracks.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

xzzy posted:

Well when the sole motivation for reopening is so the wealthy stop losing money, little details like that are gonna fall through the cracks.
Yup.

It's in Phase 4, which makes sense - as a haver of children, I know full well they are germ sponges.

But I'm looking at Phase 3 and wondering.... how will that work, exactly?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Our kids daycare is operating under an emergency license but can only have 30 kids max and they're full. Thankfully we don't need them right now since we can both wfh. Not sure what we'll do if my wife's school is open in August but the daycare hasn't though!

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Well, who the gently caress knows what is going to happen. Pritzker puts out this plan which has holes in it from a public health perspective but Rs are already bitching that this takes too long or there is no time line for this.

You also have several southern areas that are just opening up no matter what and doing inside dining. Their county health departments went to the state’s attorney to do something and the state’s attorney refused to do anything.

I love how laws and rules do not apply to white people even in moments like this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's easy to guess what's going to happen though, there's no real decline of new cases in the US and that's after ~2 months of most of us holing up. Once everyone starts going out and mingling again the transmission rates will climb and hospitals will get overloaded and people are gonna die. Everything that's happened to date has been the easy part of this whole disaster.

I'd be super glad to be wrong, but treatment of the disease hasn't really improved, there's no vaccine, and we're a long ways off from herd immunity.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

So what you are saying is that we should have just never shut down anything and just waited for hers immunity with just the small cost of large numbers of dead.

See, liberals ruin everything while common sense downstaters have all the answers.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

So what you are saying is that we should have just never shut down anything and just waited for hers immunity with just the small cost of large numbers of dead.

See, liberals ruin everything while common sense downstaters have all the answers.
I don't think anyone here is arguing that.

I see it a bunch on fuckin Facebook tho.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

I don't think anyone here is arguing that.

I see it a bunch on fuckin Facebook tho.

I know. I was just joking because I too see that all the time.

Also, I am getting a lot of “Shitzker is ruining this state on purpose so we are forced to rely on the federal government.” And “what could they do if we just ignore the rules” because that is freedom apparently.

Synthetic Dreams
Jul 19, 2005

by Cyrano4747
Bruce Rauner not funding community mental health clinics drove me out of Illinois and into California, wherein I acquired a house for the low cost of the past due property taxes, and now I live in a sweet house built into the side of a mountain. Thanks Bruce Rauner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Also, overrun the hospitals so that people with non-COVID issues end up needlessly dying because there are no resources available for heart attacks, car accidents, falls, etc., etc., etc.

I mean, that's what's going to happen when things open up. And then they're going to lock-down again until the hospitals are back to capacity (as opposed to over capacity). I'd like to think we'd only have to do that once before people would get it, but, well... I'm not feeling very optimistic right now.