Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Panzeh posted:

It's not as easy to visualize things in it- the Vassal module helps with the AZOI overlay but you still really have to consider the distances between everything because it's extremely well thought out that way and can get pretty intricate. The importance of places like Ceylon, Guadalcanal, and Port Moresby really come to the fore with the distances involved.

Yeah it's like, I know that some islands are more important than others, but because I have trouble "seeing" the game so to speak it's like, what is going on? Like I said, looking forward to this. The VASSAL overlay helps a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Really should have planned better even for a short campaign in Hornet Leader. Like, not relying on one dedicated bomber is good idea, apparently. Also, I should have had a plan for a RoE event limiting engagement range to pissing distance before going all-in with the Tomcats. But they worked so well for carrier defence...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Time to party (short intro scenario)

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 6, 2020

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Man playing Cuba Libre solo again reminds me how random that game is.

The small map and number of pieces are nice but dang some of those events are brutal. Playing as the Government and get turn 2 Coup and losing 1 Alliance is brutal.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

COOL CORN posted:

Time to party (short intro scenario)

i didnt realize how beautiful the maps are. I've only ever seen photos of the whole world spread out and never up close like that

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

What do the fisting icons represent?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

SelenicMartian posted:

What do the fisting icons represent?

Unarmed attack. You can roll that number of d4s to do bludgeoning damage to adjacent units.

Nah, it's the level of resistance each country has, which determined how likely they are to have partisan units spawn if they're occupied (I think, something like that)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Got my order in from Quarterdeck. Here's what I primarily went in for:

Red Sun/Blue Cross is a strategic Russo-Japanese War sim. Imported from China, it comes with a translation of the rules to English.

Good looking map ! It's mounted too.

Nice rulebook, pity the translation isn't as well laid out.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

That looks awesome! The japanese wargaming community is quite active so it's cool to see more stuff coming out of there.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
It'd be interesting to see what strategies the Russian player can come up with or how the game makes it so a historical choice like "send a wildly unprepared armada into the teeth of a Japanese ambush" can be made or unmade.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Tekopo posted:

That looks awesome! The japanese wargaming community is quite active so it's cool to see more stuff coming out of there.

Chinese :-)

I also got Ty Bomba's Battle For Russia, a Command - China. It's a low-complexity, single map, one countersheet game on Barbarossa (Jun-December). It also has a set of translated rules. Looks like the Bougainville and Manilla games are likewise imported/translated. These last two are part of the Chinese publisher's "Pocket War" series, coming as folio games at about 5x8" size.

I'll get photos, these pocket wargames are a great addition to the market. 36 counters, including the turn marker and VP chit for the Bougainville game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Chinese :-)

I also got Ty Bomba's Battle For Russia, a Command - China. It's a low-complexity, single map, one countersheet game on Barbarossa (Jun-December). It also has a set of translated rules. Looks like the Bougainville and Manilla games are likewise imported/translated. These last two are part of the Chinese publisher's "Pocket War" series, coming as folio games at about 5x8" size.

I'll get photos, these pocket wargames are a great addition to the market. 36 counters, including the turn marker and VP chit for the Bougainville game.
Designer seems to be japanese, though!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Designer seems to be japanese, though!

Language is Japanese too, so I thought the same! I know for a fact that there are really active wargaming scenes in both Japan and China, in fact one of the most fervent ASL players I know is from China, and he runs a big ASL tourney there.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

i follow several japanese accounts on twitter who just post AAR pics or really nice pics of maps or chits. its cool seeing wargaming stuff and having no loving idea what system or title it is.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Is there a mechanic to representing the divine intervention of sacred wind, cause that would rule

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Is there a mechanic to representing the divine intervention of sacred wind, cause that would rule

There are in fact weather cards in Empire of the Sun.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Can EotS be integrated with Pacific War?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SelenicMartian posted:

Can EotS be integrated with Pacific War?

No

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Anything can be a battleboard for anything :colbert:

:colbert:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Pacific War except every engagement played in Seekrieg V and Chain of Command

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Phi230 posted:

Pacific War except every engagement played in Seekrieg V and Chain of Command

I'm ready to play out every pinning battle in Seekrieg V

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's all fun and games until someone has the bright idea to suggest ASL for every single ground battle.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tekopo posted:

It's all fun and games until someone has the bright idea to suggest ASL for every single ground battle.

With 1:1 TOEs so you have to play out every small engagement for months until a single division vs. division combat is resolved

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
i.e. it becomes even fun-er games.

:coffeepal:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

Welcome to Victory Games' Vietnam, a very solid strategic game(probably the most interesting strategic vietnam game there is) that gets so bogged down in operational that it's pretty much unplayable.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Phi230 posted:

With 1:1 TOEs so you have to play out every small engagement for months until a single division vs. division combat is resolved

Oh cool Gary Grigsby posts here

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Ok, maybe that wasn't a Chinese import. A Step to Victory is a Japanese design, definitely published in China. This entry covers the fighting on Bougainville, with Japanese ground forces trying to hold out against the Allied invasion. It's a very basic wargame - 6 pages of rules, one small map, 36 counters. Hard ZOCs, combat strength differential instead of ratio on the CRT, 60-90 minutes estimated playing time. Quarterdeck is selling this with English language rules for $11. I cut my gaming teeth on $2.95 SJG Microgames, and $4.95 ziplock games from Task Force, so I am fully in favor of this format making a comeback.

I don't know how to feel about counters that come pre-rounded.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Loving the 0-0 japanese tanks.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

mllaneza posted:

I don't know how to feel about counters that come pre-rounded.

Liberated.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
The greatest crime in the world is that World in Flames has 4800 counters... And they all have side nibs, not corner nibs.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Tekopo posted:

That's supposed to be O_O. They're probably ^_^ on the other side.

Actually, does Japan do wacky wargames? Do they have their own Creature That Ate Sheboygan?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Italy has been invaded and the fight up the Peninsula has begun. Allies have begun massing in England in preparation for Overlord as well. Russians have managed to push the germans out of Rostov and move up to the Kiev. Should be an interesting winter, we just finished October 1943.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Have any notable 3+ player card driven games come out in the past decade? I haven't kept up with what's been released since 2010 and in the process of cleaning out my house I dug through the few games I've kept over the years. Even if I don't have anyone to play with at the moment, let alone 2+, it brought back the memories of how much I enjoyed the games with more than two players (not that I'd ever say no to something like Paths/Pursuit of Glory), like say Here I Stand, Sword of Rome, or Onward Christian Soldiers (for all pain it took to actually play it). Just kind of curious if anyone kept making them or not and what's out there.

Although going back through the last few pages the Empire of the Sun talk hurts. I bought it but never got to play it and eventually sold it. I'm glad it's still out there, maybe I'll get the chance in the future.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Tekopo posted:

They're dummies actually ! Removed after the Allied player makes their turn 1 invasion.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I joined the Combat Commander: Europe vassal ladder since I'm not going out these days, and the first scenario we're all doing is a doozy. I'm the Germans, and have a heck of a challenge ahead of me, this is after 2 hours of playing with a guy who's just starting to grok the rules. Scenario 102 from C3i magazine - "Night Shift". Night rules in this game are so much easier than ASL. You just subtract the firing distance from your firepower.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

COOL CORN posted:

I joined the Combat Commander: Europe vassal ladder since I'm not going out these days, and the first scenario we're all doing is a doozy. I'm the Germans, and have a heck of a challenge ahead of me, this is after 2 hours of playing with a guy who's just starting to grok the rules. Scenario 102 from C3i magazine - "Night Shift". Night rules in this game are so much easier than ASL. You just subtract the firing distance from your firepower.

A lot of things in Combat commander are way easier to understand than in ASL, hah. I've been thinking about getting in on the ladder but i've been holding off.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

This scenario map looks really familiar to me and from the Allied side I recall it being really rough on me unless I got lucky (which I did) with heroes and artillery denied cards. You might be able to outflank them on the right because of the hedgerows.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The COIN games are mid weight euros change my mind.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Panzeh posted:

FITL is a heavy weight euro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Panzeh posted:

Euros dont have dice rolls, nice try buddy

Harvesting crops of terror is very euro, however